Thursday, September 24, 2026

Race Report: Northwest Series, Day 6

Today was the last day of the Mainly Marathons Northwest Series.  For the second straight day, we were running alongside the Snake River in Hell’s Gate State Park.

I slept well, but I woke up with a considerable amount of soreness.  Some of that was from my fall yesterday.

The scrape below my knee looked ugly, but it didn’t hurt.  The scrapes on my hip were barely noticeable, but that’s where I had a lot of soreness.  My elbow didn’t look too bad, but I had yet to wash out the blood stains on the sleeve of my jacket.

I don’t usually take anything for pain or soreness, but I took some Tylenol before leaving the hotel.

As usual, I took the 6:30 start.  It was dark when I arrived at the park, but it was light by the time I started running.  Now that I knew the layout of the park, I made a point of parking near one of the bathrooms.

Today’s weather was similar to yesterday.  It was chilly enough at the start that I had to start the race with a jacket and gloves.  My legs were cold, so I had to run fast enough to stay warm.

As I got warmed up, I gradually settled into a more relaxed pace.  Halfway through my fourth lap, I took off my jacket and gloves.  I may have been a bit premature with the gloves.  For the next lap or two, my hands and arms were cold.

Yesterday, I saw a few deer, but I wasn’t able to get a picture.  Today, I ran the whole race with my phone, so I wouldn’t miss any photo ops.  I was nearing the end of my fifth lap when I saw another runner stop to take a picture.  I looked in that direction and saw a few deer milling about.



There’s a long-standing tradition that the last day of a series is hot dog day.  They have hot dogs at the aid station, and some runners dress for the occasion.



During the first half of the race, I only took one walking break.  I had several other stops though.  Besides stopping to take photos, I had two bathroom stops, I stopped to eat a hot dog, and I stopped to demonstrate some stretches for a runner with sciatica.  When I reached the halfway point, my time was slower than any of the other days.

I usually start taking walking breaks in the second half.  Today, I felt like I needed to keep running, but I ran at a relaxed pace.  I had two more bathroom stops, and I stopped at the aid station one more time to eat a hot dog.

I was halfway through my 11th lap when I caught up to Clyde.  I asked Clyde what lap he was on.  He started an hour earlier, but we were now on the same lap.  We each had three-and-a-half laps to go.

Next, I asked Clyde if he was on pace to finish in seven hours.  Clyde was confident that he was.  That meant I could walk the rest of the race with Clyde and still finish in six hours.

I thought we might be cutting it kind of close, so I kept a close eye on our pace.  Clyde maintained a brisk pace, and we were always on schedule.  By the last lap, we no longer needed to walk fast, but we did.

I finished the race in 5:53:41.  I kept my times under six hours all six days.  That was my goal.

Today, I got two pieces to add to my chain of medals.  The first one was the medal for today’s race, which was the other Idaho medal.  The second was an extra piece that goes to anyone who does the whole series.

Here’s the entire chain.

As I was leaving Hell’s Gate State Park, a deer darted across the road right in front of me.  Fortunately, I was already slowing down for a speed bump, so I was in no danger of hitting the deer.

When I got back to the hotel, I finally took the time to rinse the blood stains out of my jacket.

Tomorrow, I need to drive back to Spokane and fly home.  My flight isn’t until the afternoon, so I won’t have to get up as early tomorrow.  I’m looking forward to that.  I’m also looking forward to not having another race until October.

This was the fourth time in less than a year that I’ve run marathons on five or six consecutive days.  That’s unusual for me.  Until recently, I rarely did more than one multi-day series in a year.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  5:53:41
Average Pace:  13:29 per mile
First Half:  2:48:28
Second Half:  3:05:13
Marathons/Ultras in 2026:  36
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  608

No comments:

Post a Comment