Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Weigh-in Wednesday: 5-13-15



What a difference a week makes.

Last Wednesday, I was surprised to discover that I had lost a pound, even though I was out of town for a week.  As I looked ahead to this week, I was optimistic.  I didn’t have a race.  That means I would have more quality training days and fewer restaurant meals.  Right?  Well, it didn’t work out that way.

Let’s start with the restaurant meals.

On Thursday, I went out to lunch with a few coworkers and several former coworkers, who have either retired or moved to other jobs.  One was celebrating a new job.  It was a great chance to catch up with several old friends at once.

Saturday morning, Deb reminded me that I said she could have a do-over of her birthday dinner.  When we went out two weeks earlier, she wasn’t feeling well.  We went back to Cossetta’s, an Italian restaurant in St. Paul with good food and large portions.  Nobody leaves Cossetta’s hungry.  Just to make sure, we had gelato for dessert.

Sunday was Mother’s Day.  Deb’s mom passed way last year.  My mom passed away the year before.  This was the first year that neither of us could celebrate with our moms.  We did the next best thing, taking Deb’s dad out for lunch.  We went to Buca di Beppo, another Italian restaurant with good food and large portions.  Naturally we had dessert again.


OK, so I ate just as much as if I had traveled for a race.  At least I had lots of quality training.  Right?  Well, no.  I haven’t run since Friday.  If you’ve read my last few posts, you know that I’ve been sidelined with a groin injury.

So how bad was the damage?  Surprisingly, it wasn’t as bad as I thought.  I weighed in at 121.2.  That’s up slightly less than a pound from last week.  All things considered, I’ll take it.


I’m hoping I can start running soon, but it’ll be short easy runs at first.  For the next week or two, I’ll only be doing a fraction of my normal training volume.  I’m focusing on the long term.  If I can be healthy in time for the Comrades Marathon, I’ll breathe a sigh of relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment