Tuesday, July 28, 2015

An Afternoon in Zurich



On my way home from Davos, I broke up the travel by making an overnight stop in Zurich.  I took the trains from Davos to Zurich on Monday and flew home from Zurich on Tuesday.  Aside from making the travel more manageable, this also gave me a chance to see the city.

I stayed at Hotel Alexander, a boutique hotel in the old city.  It was conveniently located within walking distance of Zurich’s main train station and near a number of attractions.


I timed my arrival so I would get to the hotel about the time check-in is allowed.  That still gave me most of the afternoon for sightseeing.

The hotel was on Niederdorfstrasse, a narrow cobble-stone street, about a block from the Limmat.



After checking in, I walked a few blocks across the river to Bahnhofstrasse.  This is Zurich’s main shopping street.  I wasn’t really there to shop, but it was a nice central place to start sightseeing.


It was mostly high-end stores.  That’s not really my kind of shopping, but the display outside this jewelry store was definitely an attention getter.



Now this is my kind of shopping.  Sadly, I couldn’t indulge in pastries, because I didn’t want to spoil my dinner.


I found myself drawn more to the side streets.  I started exploring the neighborhood somewhat randomly.




The thing about exploring side streets and back alleys is that you find things you weren’t even looking for.



Bahnhofstrasse runs from the train station to Lake Zurich.  There must have been at least 100 swans visible on the lake.



My hotel was also near the art gallery and a few picturesque churches.




I’m told the clocks on this tower are larger than London’s Big Ben.


Before my trip, I read that Casa Mia has the best pizza in Zurich.  I discovered as I was wandering the streets that it was only a few blocks from my hotel.  That clinched it.  I didn’t have to think twice about where to have dinner.



I had hoped to also tour the Swiss National Museum, which is right next to the train station.  Sadly, it was closed for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment