Saturday, May 26, 2018

Request for Donations to the FANS Scholorship Fund


Next weekend, I’ll be doing the FANS 24-Hour Race.   This race is a fundraiser for the FANS scholarship fund, and I’m asking my friends to make donations.
FANS stands for Furthering Achievement through a Network of Support.  It’s a program of Pillsbury United Communities.  FANS works with middle school and high school students in the Pillsbury and Phillips neighborhoods of Minneapolis.

Students in this program are counseled to avoid gangs, drugs, violence, and other counterproductive behavior.  Instead, they’re taught that they can have successful lives, but they have to be responsible for their own success.  They’re encouraged to stay in school and have a plan for getting a job.  They’re also taught things like goal-setting and leadership skills.  The aim is to take students in troubled neighborhoods and give them the guidance they need to become successful responsible adults.

As an incentive, students who participate in the FANS program through high school are offered college scholarships.  It’s not a free ride, but it’s enough money to help them get started.

The FANS race was originally organized in 1990 as a vehicle for raising donations to fund these scholarships.

I want you to know that I’m not asking you to make a donation so that I can do a race.  I had a choice of paying an entry fee or pledging to raise at least $250 in donations.  I opted to raise money, but immediately made a $250 donation myself, so the minimum fundraising commitment has already been met.  I’m asking my friends to make additional donations, because this is a cause I believe in.

The FANS race is put on by volunteers.  All of the costs of putting on the race are provided by donations from corporate sponsors.  100 percent of the money raised by race participants goes toward the FANS scholarship fund.  Donations are tax-deductible.

I first ran the FANS 24-Hour Race in 1998.  Since then, I’ve been there almost every year, either running, crewing for friends, or volunteering.  I always make a donation.

In the past, each race participant would turn in pledge forms with the names and contact information of their sponsors, who could either make a fixed contribution or pledge so much per mile.  After the race, each donor would be contacted by the race staff to remind them of their pledge.

Now they’ve made it easier.  You can go directly to the FANS website and make a donation by credit card, using a secure web page.  There’s a field where you can type in the name of the runner or walker you’re sponsoring.

Please consider making a donation to the FANS scholarship fund.  I’ve donated $250.  Can you give $25?  Here’s a link to the donation page on the FANS website:


Click on the amount you want to donate and you’ll be taken to a page where you can type the name of a race participant.  Please type my name, David Holmen.  Then click on the Add to Bag button and proceed to checkout.  When you’re done, you get an email receipt.

Thank you in advance for supporting the FANS scholarship fund.

No comments:

Post a Comment