Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Call for Donations to FANS Scholarship Fund


In 11 days, I’ll be running in the FANS 24-Hour race.  You may recall I also did this race last year.  I’ve done it a total of 11 times, if you include the 6-hour and 12-hour races.

Last year, FANS was my “A” race for the year.  I registered for the walking division, and I spent nearly a year training for it.  My goal was to walk 100 miles in 24-hours.  I did it, but it was probably the most difficult thing I’ve ever done.  This year, my goal is much softer.  I haven’t really trained for a 24-hour race, but I need just 66.5 miles to join the FANS “1,000 Mile Club.”  I’m registered for the 24-hour race, but my plan is to run long enough to get to 66.5 miles.  Then I’ll stop.  If all goes well, it’ll take me 13 or 14 hours.

The race is a fundraiser for the FANS project, which works with middle school and high school students in Minneapolis.  Their mission is to give these students a better chance of success by teaching them important life skills and encouraging them to stay in school.  Here’s a link to a page that explains more about the FANS project:


I’ve been doing the FANS races off and on since 1998.  When I’m not running, I’m usually crewing or volunteering.  I always make a donation to FANS, and I encourage my friends to do the same.

As a participant in the race, I had a choice of paying an entry fee or raising at least $250 in donations.  I opted to raise money, but I want to make it clear, that I’m not asking anyone to make a donation just so I can run a race.  I’ve already made a donation that covers my fundraising commitment.  I’m asking my friends to make donations, because I believe FANS is a good cause.

The costs associated with putting on the race are covered by the event’s sponsors.  One hundred percent of your donation will go toward college scholarships for students graduating from the FANS program.  Donations are tax-deductible.

Here’s a link to my FANS fundraising page.  You can pledge a certain amount for each mile I run, or you can donate a fixed amount.  For what it’s worth, my stated goal is 67 miles.


Please consider making a donation to the FANS scholarship fund.  Thank you.

One other note:  The websites above might say that the races are being held at Snelling Lake in Fort Snelling State Park.  That's the usual location, but flooding in the Minnesota River valley has forced a last-minute change of venue to Normandale Lake in Bloomington.

No comments:

Post a Comment