Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Race Report: Minnesota Brothers Trail Series, Day 3


Today was the third race of the Minnesota Brothers Trail Series.  Today’s race was held in Bend in the River Regional Park, which is near Rice, MN.  As you might guess, this park is next to a bend in the Mississippi River.  It’s actually the same bend in the river that we were near yesterday.  Today, we were running on the opposite bank of the river.


This venue didn’t seem to have any mosquitoes, but when I visited yesterday, the biting flies were all over me.  I’m using a lot of bug spray this week.  This course was more sun-exposed than the first two, so I also used more sunblock.  Between the sunblock, the bug spray, and Aquaphor on areas that chafe, I felt like I was wearing three coats of paint.

Today’s course was easier that the first two.  The surface was gravel, and it was completely flat.  For the first time in this series, I could run without worrying about tripping on a rock or root.


Each out-and-back was about 1.9 miles.  To complete a marathon, I needed to run 14 laps. Having two more laps than yesterday meant I also had two more visits to the aid station.  That made it easier to stay hydrated.

As I started running, I felt some soreness in my quads.  At first, I could only run at a slow pace, so I stayed near the back of the pack.  It took about half a mile for my legs to loosen up.  Then I was able to run faster.

In my second lap, I started running with Tabatha, who was doing the 50K race.  We ran most of the race together, while talking about races, training, and running goals.  Tabatha’s pace was slightly faster than I would’ve run on my own, but having someone to talk to made the laps pass quickly.  In small races, I seldom find other runners who are going at the right pace.

In the first half of the race, our lap times were consistently under 20 minutes.  I reached the halfway mark in about 2:16.  In the second half of the race, we slowed down.  Some of the extra time was due to longer stops at the aid station.

In addition to the usual snack foods, the aid station sometimes has hot entrees.  Every day is different.  Today, they had cheeseburgers and vegan hot dogs.  The cheeseburgers smelled good, but I didn’t want to eat something that big during the race.  I had a few small snack bars, but mostly, I drank Gatorade.

The volunteer behind the food table usually asked us if we needed anything.  I usually asked him to keep my glass filled with Gatorade.  At one point, I got tired of drinking Gatorade and asked him to fill my glass with Coke and ice.  By the time I finished my next lap, I completely forgot about it.  When I saw Coke in my glass, it was a pleasant surprise.  I didn’t need the caffeine.  I just wanted to drink something different.

I was worried we would heat up as the sun got higher in the sky, but that turned out not to be a problem.  It was mostly cloudy, so even though we were out in the open for most of the race, I never really felt the heat of direct sunlight.  On average, it was two or three degrees cooler than yesterday.  It was still hot, and I was still sweating like crazy, but I didn’t wilt in the heat like yesterday.

Out lap times in the second half were mostly slower than 20 minutes.  With one lap to go, it wasn’t clear if I would break 4:40.  I went ahead on my own, and ran that lap as fast as I could.  That lap was significantly faster, and I ended up finishing in 4:35:30.  For the second time in three days, I was the first person to finish the marathon.

After finishing, I finally ate a cheeseburger.  When I got back to the hotel, I drank the rest of my chocolate milk.  As usual, I spent some time in the whirlpool, but I expect to have sore legs tomorrow.  So far, I’ve been running significantly faster each day.  I like that trend, but I doubt if I can keep it going.

I added another piece to my chain of medals.  I just have one more race to go.


Race Statistics
Distance: 26.2 miles
Official Time:  4:35:30
Average Pace:  10:30
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  379
Minnesota Marathons/Ultras:  53

No comments:

Post a Comment