Sunday, July 19, 2020

Race Report: 2020 Xenia Avenue Marathon


On July 19th, I ran the Xenia Avenue Marathon in Champlin, MN.  Not counting virtual races, this was my first marathon since March 1st.  This was a local race, so I didn’t have the additional complications of air travel or staying in a hotel.  Champlin is only 35 miles away from home.
This was an inaugural race.  I first learned about it in March.  My friend Sandy brought it to my attention, because she knew I was looking for a race that had a name starting with the letter X.  At the time, I had a conflict.  July 19th was the same day I was scheduled to fly to Juneau for a series of marathons in Alaska.  Since then, the Alaska Series was cancelled, making it possible for me to run this one instead.
Outdoor events in Minnesota are currently limited to a maximum of 250 participants.  This event was much smaller than that.  There was a marathon and a half marathon, but the two races had only 44 total participants.  That made “social distancing” easier.
There were several safety protocols to minimize the risk of spreading COVID-19.  There were temperature checks before the race.  There was a staggered start.  Runners were required to wear masks in the start area, and for the first quarter mile.  Finally, the aid stations had 16 oz. bottles of water and Gatorade that you could grab off a table, instead of having volunteers hand out cups.
About a week before the race, we were each asked to provide an estimated finish time.  I estimated 4:20, because that’s how long it took me to run a virtual marathon two weeks ago.  I didn’t know exactly what the weather would be, but I assumed it would be similar.
The course was a 2.2 mile loop that we ran once, followed by a 4.8 mile loop that we ran five times.  On Monday, I ran both loops by myself, to familiarize myself with the course.  Even with no course markings, I didn’t have any trouble finding all the turns.  As advertised, the course was flat.
After surveying the course, I took the opportunity to stop at Rocky Rococo for lunch.  Rocky Rococo is a Wisconsin-based pizza chain, but they also have a restaurant in Brooklyn Park, MN.  I like their pizza, but I don’t get to Brooklyn Park very often.  As it happens, it’s just south of Champlin, so picking up my race packet put me in the same area.  Rocky Rococo is a fast food pizzeria.  They serve pan-style pizza by the slice, and they have a drive through window.
I could’ve picked up my race packet Sunday morning, but I drove to Champlin on Saturday afternoon instead.  There were two advantages in doing that.  First, I didn’t have to arrive as early on race day, so I could sleep a little later.  Second, it gave me a chance to stop at Rocky Rococo again.
We were assigned bib numbers in order of our expected finish times, and we were instructed to line up according to our bib numbers.  In addition to our race bibs and T-shirts, we each got masks, paper towels and bottles of hand sanitizer.  The paper towels and hand sanitizer were so we could clean up after ourselves if we had to use a port-o-potty during the race.
Sunday morning, I drove back to Champlin and parked at Champlin Park High School, which is across the street from Orchard Trail Park.  I checked in at the start area and then waited in my car until it was almost time to line up for the race.

I was surprised how many of the other runners I knew.  There were several local runners, who do most of the Minnesota marathons.  In addition, I saw several friends who traveled from other states to do this race.  They’re all frequent marathoners, and like me, they were eager for any opportunity to do a real race.
We really dodged a bullet on the weather.  On Saturday, the high was in the 90s, and it was so humid that the heat index got up to 108 degrees.  Overnight, a thunderstorm moved through the area, bringing cooler temperatures and much lower humidity.
Behind the starting line, two sets of numbers were written on the sidewalk in chalk.  The bib numbers for the marathon were written on the left side of the path, spaced six feet apart.  The bib numbers for the half marathon were written on the right side of the path.  Before the race, we each stood on our bib numbers to await the start.

This race was a fundraiser for the Champlin Park High School girls’ cross-country team.  As part of the pre-race announcements, the race director announced that we raised more than $5,000 for the team.
When the gun went off, the lead runner in each race started running.  The rest of us started walking forward until the next pair of runners reached the starting line.  Then they started running.  We continued this process until everyone was across the starting line.  The whole process probably took less than a minute.
As I started running, I followed the runner ahead of me.  The pace felt too slow, so after a minute or so, I moved around him and found my own pace.  I kept my mask on until I could see that I had run more than a quarter mile.  Then I took it off.  There was a trash bin where we could discard our masks, but I put mine in a baggie and tucked it into my fanny pack, in case I wanted to wear it again after finishing.
Shortly after leaving Orchard park, we turned onto the Rush Creek Regional Trail.  On our first lap, we were only on this trail briefly before turning onto a spur that led into a residential neighborhood.  We went south on York Avenue and then came back on Xenia Avenue.  We were only on Xenia Avenue for about two blocks.  Why was the race named after Xenia Avenue?  The race director knew that there are eccentric runners like me who want to run marathons for every letter of the alphabet.  X is the letter that’s hardest to find.

I rarely wear a GPS watch for races.  Most of the time, I wear a regular stopwatch and check my time at each mile marker.  Since this was a multiple loop course, the individual miles weren’t marked.  I wanted to know my pace, so I wore a GPS watch.  That made me aware of my splits for each mile, but I rarely paid attention to my total time.
My first two miles were both under nine minutes.  That was about a minute per mile faster than I expected to start.  The pace felt surprising easy, so I didn’t worry too much about it at first.  The temperature at the start was 70 degrees.  That’s the same as the virtual marathon that I ran two weeks ago, but the humidity was much lower.  I was more comfortable than I’ve been on any of my recent training runs.
After the initial 2.2 mile loop, we did five laps of a 4.8 mile loop.  As I left Orchard Park to begin the first of these laps, I had to make a decision about my pace.  I was starting the race on pace to break four hours.  That didn’t seem realistic for a summer day, but I decided to stick with it as long as it felt comfortable.
One of the aid stations was in Orchard Trail Park, next to the starting line.  I grabbed a bottle of Gatorade, drank half, and took the rest with me.  I wore a fuel belt, so I would have a place to tuck the bottle as I ran.

After leaving Orchard Trail Park, we again turned right onto the Rush Creek Regional Trail.  Running west on this trail, I felt a strong breeze.  It kept me nice and comfortable. This time we followed the trail through a bridge under Douglas Drive, which was the only busy street we would cross.

As I ran through the tunnel, I drank the rest of my Gatorade.  After the tunnel, we ran through Oak Grove Park.  There were lots of bends in the trail, so I was tempted to run the tangents on the turns.  Rush Creek Regional Trail is a popular route for cyclists, so I often had to move to the right when a bike was approaching.

We ran all the way through the park and then did a short out-and back on the west side of the park.  Just before the turnaround point, I saw my split for the 4th mile.  I inadvertently sped up to 8:38 in that mile.  I told myself to relax.  After that, I averaged nine minutes per mile for the next several miles.
After returning to the park, we turned onto another trail that took us south, past the pavilion and playground.

The second aid station was in Oak Grove Park, near the playground.  I discarded my empty bottle, picked up a new bottle, and drank half.  After leaving the south end of the park, we ran a short loop that took us around this meadow.

Finally, we returned to the park and passed the same aid station again.  Just before I got to the aid station, I emptied my second bottle and recycled it, but I didn’t grab a new one.  By now, I realized I would pass aid stations three times during each lap.  That’s an aid station every 1.6 miles.  Drinking a bottle of Gatorade for every aid station would’ve been excessive.  Instead I started picking up a new bottle at every other aid station.  That was still a lot of Gatorade, but as long as I could drink that much without needing to pee, I figured I would stick with it.
After going through this aid station for a second time, I made a right turn onto Rush Creek Regional Trail and retraced my route back to Orchard Trail Park.  As I approached a sharp turn, I heard a bike zoom around the corner from the other direction.  The sun was in my eyes, so I never saw the bike coming.  Fortunately, I was keeping to the right side of the trail.  If I had moved left to take the shortest path around the turn, I could easily have collided with the bike.  After that, I was diligent about keeping right at all times when I was on this trail.
I kept a consistent pace through my second lap of the 4.8 mile loop.  As I began my third lap, I started to speed up.  I ran two consecutive miles in the 8:30s.  I didn’t intend to speed up, but I think I was getting excited as I anticipated hitting the halfway point during my third lap.
I reached the halfway mark in 1:56:08.  That surprised me.  I knew I was on pace to break four hours, but I didn’t expect to be almost four minutes ahead of that pace.  Now, I was confident I could break four hours.  I still felt good, and I actually had room to slow down.
The rest of my miles were all faster than nine minutes.  I started running some of them as fast as 8:30.  As I finished the next lap, I just had 9.6 miles to go.
I’ve run several marathons that were multiple loops.  The distance of this loop was similar to the loop I was running for the Savage Seven races last December.  That gave me a good feel for how my pace should feel during each lap.  With two laps to go, I knew I could easily sustain my pace.
In my 4th lap, I was consistently clocking mile splits in the vicinity of 8:30.  I could afford to slow down, but I was actually speeding up.
Only one part of the loop felt difficult.  After finishing the loop around the meadow, we always had to turn into the wind as we returned to Oak Grove Park.  This trail was more wind-exposed than the main trail, so running into the wind here felt tiring.  I always reminded myself that the wind was also keeping me from overheating.  The wind was my friend.
The last mile of that lap took 8:16.  That was my fastest mile so far, and I carried that pace into the last lap.  The first three full miles of that lap all took between 8:15 and 8:20.  I wasn’t going all-out, but I was gradually picking up my effort.
I always felt like I was taking too long to drink at the aid stations.  In my last lap, I worked hard to make sure I got back to my previous pace after slowing to a walk while I drank.
When I went past the aid station in Oak Grove Park for the last time, I knew I was drinking Gatorade for the last time.  No more walking breaks.  Shortly after getting back onto the main trail, I hit the 24 mile mark.  I was pleased to see that I sped up to 8:10 in that mile.  That was my fastest mile so far.  I was confident I could break eight minutes in my last full mile if I poured it on.  I knew I must be going significantly faster in that mile, because I got cheers from all the volunteers.
At this point, I need to point out how impressed I am with how well organized this race was.  There was a pair of volunteers at every major turn or junction.  I learned after the race that the volunteers were all members of the Champlin Park High School cross-country team or their parents.
The race was chip-timed, the course was certified, and we had aid stations every 1.6 miles, on average.  That’s more than I expected for such a small race.
I knew my 25th mile would be faster, but I was still surprised when I saw my time.  It was 7:11.  Now I was running out of gas, but I just had to get back to the finish at Orchard Trail Park.  I held on as best as I could, and I finished in 3:46:00.  That was good for third place overall.


I saved my mask from the start, but that turned out to be unnecessary.  After finishing, I was given a clean mask to wear in the finish area.
By the time I finished, the temperature had climbed to 77 degrees.  That’s certainly warm for a marathon, but it didn’t bother me.  Most of my recent training has been in warmer temperatures, with higher humidity.  Today felt nice by comparison.
After finishing, I dropped a few things off at my car and returned to the finish area to watch other runners finish.  Later, I joined two friends for lunch at Rocky Rococo.
It felt good to race again.  Training runs just don’t feel the same.  I’ve really missed this feeling.  I can’t remember when I’ve been this excited about a race that was this small.

Race Statistics
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  3:46:00
Average Pace:  8:36
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  403
Minnesota Marathons/Ultras:  58
Consecutive sub4 marathons:  11

1 comment: