Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Race Report: Alaska Series, Day 2

On August 4, I ran the second race of the Alaska Series, in Juneau, AK.  That’s not a typo.  I ran this one.  Actually, I did a run/walk mix, but I did a substantial amount of running.

Every so often, I do a run/walk workout that includes a quarter mile of running for each mile.  At first, these workouts aggravated my right knee, even though the amount of walking was minimal.  I would try again every few weeks, usually with the same result.

More recently, I started doing run/walk workouts once a week.  Two weeks ago, I did a five-mile run/walk workout and barely noticed any knee discomfort while running.  I still noticed increased discomfort walking up and down stairs, but not as much as after my previous run/walk workouts.

Last week, I stepped up to a seven-mile run/walk workout, and it was encouraging.  I didn’t notice any knee discomfort while running, and I barely noticed a difference afterwards when I walked up and down stairs.

I felt I was ready to step up to a longer distance, so I decided to try a run/walk mix during one of the races of this series.  I was originally planning to wait until the last day.  That was before I saw the courses.

Today’s race was on the same course as yesterday’s race.  It’s mostly on a dirt trail and there’s a section that isn’t easy to race-walk.  By contrast, the course for the last two races in this series is entirely paved.  It looks like a great surface for race-walking.  With that in mind, I decided to try running today and then race-walk the last two races of the series.

It was about five degrees warmer than it was at the start of yesterday’s race.  There was rain in the forecast, but it wasn’t raining when I left the hotel.  I felt overdressed in tights yesterday, so I wore shorts today.  I wore a fairly warm tech T-shirt, and brought some other clothes that I could keep in a drop bag.

I opted to wear gaiters again, but I had mixed feelings.  On one hand, they were effective at keeping dirt out of my shoes yesterday.  On the other hand, they would get wet and muddy if it rained during today’s race.

I wasn’t expecting the rain to start until an hour or two after the race started.  Within minutes of leaving the hotel, it started to rain.  That made me realize I had forgotten to put my plastic rain poncho in my drop bag.

After getting to the start area, I made a last-minute decision to put on a long sleeve polypro shirt.  My race bib was pinned to my T-shirt, so I put the polypro shirt under my T-shirt.  I also started the race wearing my jacket and polypro gloves.

Since there was one segment of the trail that wasn’t easy to race-walk, I decided that would be the section I would run.  Yesterday, I picked two landmarks that were a quarter mile apart.  I ran the section between them in both directions.  That meant I was doing about a half mile of running during each lap.  If I kept that up for the whole race, it would add up to eight total miles of running.

The section I was running had some rocks imbedded in the trail.  It also had one awkward down and up crossing a gully.  I ran cautiously, taking small steps, going slowly, and staying on the balls of my feet.  It felt OK, but it didn’t seem like my running pace was much faster than my race-walking pace.  Partly that’s because of the way I was running, but I doubt if I could run very fast even with an all-out effort.  I’m just not in shape for it.

I paid close attention to how my right knee felt.  I could detect a hint of discomfort, but it was barely perceptible.  I only noticed it because I was comparing my right knee to my left knee.

After one complete lap, I started to feel warm.  I unzipped my jacket.  By the middle of my second lap, I realized the jacket was too warm, in combination with the layers I was wearing underneath.  When I finished my second lap, I took off my jacket and put it in my drop bag.

For the next two laps, I felt fairly comfortable.  Then the rain started to let up.  Without the rain, I suddenly felt overdressed.  I took off my gloves and stuffed them in my fanny pack.

That’s about all I could do without a time-consuming stop.  Now that it wasn’t raining, I was overdressed with both the T-shirt and the polypro shirt.  I couldn’t easily take off the polypro shirt, because it was underneath my T-shirt.  I couldn’t easily take off the T-shirt, because it had my race bib.  Without knowing if it would start raining again, I left them both on and accepted that I would be a little bit hot.

I was in my sixth lap when I felt one of my insoles slipping within the shoe.  I wear orthotics, so I always remove the insoles that come with the shoes, and I replace them with Spenco insoles, so there’s room for my orthotics.  That usually works well, but if my shoes get too wet, the insoles can slide forward within the shoes.  When that happens, the insole bunches up in the front of my shoe, and it gets really uncomfortable.  I’ve noticed that this is most likely to happen when I’m running down a steep hill or when I’m doing frequent transitions between running and walking.

If I only had a few laps to go, I would live with the discomfort.  I still had 10 laps to go, so I stopped at the aid station to fix it.  I had to remove my gaiter, so I could take off my shoe.  It took time to get the insole back into the proper position and put my shoe back on.  I didn’t bother putting my gaiter back on.  The trail was wet enough that I wasn’t worried about getting loose dirt in my shoes.  Since I had stopped for a few minutes already, I also made a bathroom stop.  Then I started my 7th lap.

If I went back to the same run/walk mix I was doing before, I would probably have the same issue again within a lap or two.  My knee was feeling OK, so I decided to just ran the rest of the way.  If my knee bothered me, I could always switch to walking.

After running the next two laps, I was half done with the race.  In the first six laps, I ran three total miles.  In the next two laps, I ran about 3.3.  At this point, I had already run more miles today than in the previous six months combined.  Running continuously felt tiring, but it was no more tiring than race-walking.  I decided to stick with it as long as my knee wasn’t bothering me.

My time at the halfway point was faster than yesterday, but not by that much.  So far, I was only five minutes faster, which was disappointing considering how much running I was doing.  I expected the second half to be faster, but I realized already that I would still take more than five hours to finish.

When I was only running the most difficult part of the trail, I had to run cautiously.  Now that I was also running the easy parts of the course, I felt like I could open it up a little.  Where it was flat, and I had good footing, I started to run with a more relaxed stride.  I also picked up the pace a little.  Still, it was much slower than the pace I’m accustomed to running.

Early in the second half of the race, it started to rain again.  I wasn’t sure if that was good news or bad news.  As it turns out, it didn’t matter.  The rain only lasted for about 10 minutes.

With five laps to go, I was tempted to switch back to run/walk, but I didn’t want to have insole problems again.  I didn’t want to stop again, and five laps was too far to live with the discomfort if the insole moved forward within my shoe.  I decided to run for at least one more lap.  Then I’d only have four laps to go.

When I had four laps to go, I again persuaded myself to run at least one more lap.  If I had insole problems, three laps of run/walk would feel more manageable than four.

With three laps to go, I caught up to two runners who had been just ahead of me for a long time.  They were going at about my pace, but they were doing a different run/walk mix.  They mostly ran, but sometimes took brief walking breaks going up hills.  I adapted to their run/walk mix, so I could talk to them for the rest of the race.  That made the last three laps seem to go by quicker.

I finished the race in 5:11:16.  I was about 14 minutes faster in the second half.  If I had run the entire race, I probably would’ve broken five hours, but not by much.

In all, I ran about 19 miles of the race.  Most of that was continuous running.  It wasn’t fast, but it was the first time in months that I felt like I was doing meaningful training for running.

When I finished, I got the next piece in my chain of medals.  Today’s medal was in the shape of a moose.

When I got back to the hotel, I wasn’t sure what do first.  I reheated some leftover pizza, so I could refuel.  While I was eating, I iced my knee.  Then I took a hot bath and did some stretching.  Finally, I massaged a few muscles with my massage stick.

I don’t know for sure how this much running affected my knee.  Usually, the real test is seeing how my knee feels going up or down stairs.  When I’m home, I go up or down stairs several times a day.  When I’m staying in a hotel, I don’t go up or down any stairs.  I feel like I’ve given my knee a test, but the test hasn’t been graded yet.

There are two more races in this series.  They’ll both be on a different course.  I’ve already gone to check out that course.  It’s paved and looks to be pretty flat.  It should be a good course for race-walking.

At this point, my plan is to race-walk both of those races.  The only wildcard is the weather.  I’m not sure what I’ll do if it rains, and I have problems with my insoles.


Race Statistics
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  5:11:16
Average Pace:  11:52
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  437
Alaska Marathons:  5

No comments:

Post a Comment