Saturday, April 16, 2022

Race Report: 2022 B.A.A. 5K

When I travel to Boston for the marathon, I usually arrive on Saturday and fly home on Tuesday.  I’m in the loyalty program for Hilton hotels, so I started my hotel search by checking rates at the various hotels in the Hilton portfolio.  At first, it looked like none of the close hotels had rooms available.  Then I tried changing my dates.  If I arrived on Friday, I could get a room at the same hotel where I stayed last October.  It seems they had rooms, but there was a four-night minimum.  I decided to arrive a day earlier, so I could stay at a convenient location.

There’s a 5K race on Saturday called the BAA 5K.  This was the first year I’ve arrived in Boston in time to do this race, so I registered for it.  I’m signed up to race-walk a 5K race in May, but my training has been hampered by a lower back injury.  If I race-walked this 5K race, I could use it as an opportunity to evaluate my progress.

To participate in the BAA 5K, you need to be vaccinated for COVID-19.  After I registered for the race, I received an email from CrowdPass.  I uploaded a photo of my vaccination card, and they sent an email with a QR code.  After that, my race bib for the 5K race was mailed to me.  I received it about two weeks ago.


I arrived in Boston on Friday afternoon and took the subway to my hotel, which was just a block away from the Hynes Convention Center.  I already had my race bib for the 5K, but I still needed to pick up my race packet for the marathon.  While I was there, I explored the expo.  There were a lot more exhibitors this year than there were last year.

For dinner, I discovered a brick oven pizzeria that I had never been to before.  It was only a few blocks from my hotel, but it was just far enough off the beaten path that it wasn’t crowded.

After dinner, I went to Mike’s Pastry in the North End to buy some pastries for pre-race breakfasts.  Apparently, it makes a big difference which day you go there.  The last time I went to Mike’s, it was a Saturday evening, and the line went all the way down the block and around the corner.  This time, there was a line inside the store, but it didn’t extend outside.  I got my food in less than 10 minutes.

The 5K race started at 8:00 AM.  The hotel’s breakfast service didn’t start until 7:00, so I didn’t feel like I had time to eat breakfast before leaving.  Instead, I made a cup of tea in my room and ate the limoncello cannoli I bought at Mike’s Pastry.

The course for the BAA 5K is a loop.  It starts on Charles Street, which is the street between Boston Common and the Public Garden.  The course goes around the south end of the Public Garden before turning onto Commonwealth Avenue.  After an out-and-back on Commonwealth Avenue, the course follows the last kilometer of the Boston Marathon Course.  Instead of finishing where the marathon does, the 5K route continues along Boylston until we’re back to Charles Street, where we started.

The temperature was in the upper 50s.  That’s warmer than I was expecting it to be.  I wore short sleeves and tights, but I would’ve been fine wearing shorts.  I wore the same shirt I always wear when I’m walking, but other people are running.  It’s the shirt from the We Walk Marathon.


They had a gear check near the start, but I didn’t use it.  To save time, I brought a space blanket from another race and used that to keep warm until the race started.

This race was large enough that they started the race in two waves.  I was in wave two, which didn’t start until 18 minutes after wave one.  Before my wave started, the elite runners from wave one had already finished.

Figuring out where to line up was tricky.  I might have been the only person race-walking.  I wanted to line up behind the runners, but I didn’t want to be behind anyone who was walking at a casual pace.

I knew I wouldn’t be as fast as I was walking last summer, but I was hoping to get my pace as close as possible to 10 minutes per mile.

As soon as I crossed the line, I tried to work into a fast pace.  The people in front of me were all starting at different paces, so I had to look ahead to make sure I wouldn’t get boxed in behind someone going slower.  That was a big concern going around the first turn.  At times, I had to walk over some rough pavement to go where I knew there was enough room to get through.

Almost immediately, I felt like I was getting out of breath.  That was a good sign that I was starting fast enough.  In this short of a race, the pace should never feel comfortable.  Other than that, I didn’t have a good feel for how fast I was going.

I had to negotiate three turns in the first mile before getting onto Commonwealth Avenue.  I thought by then, I would be done weaving around slower walkers and runners, but it took a few more blocks.  Then I finally had room to get into my own rhythm.

Before the end of the first mile, I saw an aid station.  I stayed in the middle of the street to avoid the congestion.  I couldn’t imagine slowing down to drink water in such a short race.

I finished the first mile in 10:19.  I was pleased with that start.  That’s not quite as fast as the pace I was hoping to average for race, but I expected the first mile to be slower, just because of congestion on the course.

In the second mile, I found myself keeping up with most of the runners around me.  That was both good news and bad news.  The good news is that it automatically kept me on a reasonably consistent pace.  The bad news is that it allowed me to get a little bit lazy.  I was no longer continually asking myself if I was walking as fast as I possibly could.

Going west on Commonwealth Avenue, I noticed a headwind.  I wasn’t too concerned, as I only needed to go into it for another half mile before reaching the turnaround.

The road dipped down and back up as we went under Massachusetts Avenue.  Now I could see runners coming back in the eastbound lanes.  Looking ahead, I could see where we would make the turnaround.

After the turn, we were on the Boston Marathon route.  I could see the familiar blue line that marks the route.  The next kilometer would be familiar.  I’ve run it nine times, and I also race-walked it last October.

As I was coming back under Massachusetts Avenue, two different runners said, good job,” and gave me a thumbs up as they went by.  They could see that I was walking, but maintaining a pace similar to a lot of the runners.

As I made the right turn onto Hereford, I looked ahead and saw the two mile sign.  It was right at the corner of Hereford and Boylston.  When I got there, I was disappointed to see that my second mile wasn’t quite as fast as the first one.  I slowed to 10:21 in that mile.  I was disappointed that I allowed myself to get lazy, and I worked to pick up the pace over the last 1.1 miles.

Ahead of me, I could see the Boston Marathon finish line.  The sign above it read, “0.7 miles to go.”  That was helpful information.  Just before I got there, I heard my name and turned in time to recognize a friend I met last year.  I told him I was walking today, but I was able to run again, and I would be running the marathon on Monday.

Shortly after passing the Boston Marathon finish line, I saw a runner wearing a shirt that said, “Don’t Suck”  Without knowing the story behind that shirt, I chose to interpret it as a personal message.  I reminded myself that I shouldn’t get lazy in the last 0.7 miles.

I focused on maintaining my effort the rest of the way down Boylston.  After crossing Arlington, I saw the Public Garden on my left.  Farther ahead, I could see people making the last turn.

When I made the turn myself, I saw the three mile sign.  I looked at my watch, and I was pleased with my time.  I sped up to 10:08 in that mile.  That’s the fastest I’ve walked a mile since November.  Now I just had to get to the finish line.

For most of the race, I was keeping up with the runners who were near me.  Now they were all passing me.  They were all putting on a strong finish.  I couldn’t match their acceleration.  I pressed on and got to the finish line in 31:51.

I rarely wear a GPS watch for running, but I almost always do for race-walking.  It helps keep me focused on my pace, and it also gives me some useful data, such as my cadence.  My average cadence today was 173 strides per minute, with a peak cadence of 193.  That’s pretty close to what I was doing last November, before my training was disrupted by a lower back injury.  Here’s the map of the route from Garmin Connect:


I’m still not used to getting finisher medals for races as short as 5K, but it’s always cool to get a medal with the B.A.A. logo on it.


I didn’t drink anything before or during the race, so now I was thirsty.  I eagerly accepted a water bottle from one of the volunteers as I walked through Boston Common.  I also picked up a banana, which was all the food I needed.  A few minutes later, I saw other runners carrying food bags with an assortment of snacks.  This 5K race had more post-race food than most marathons.

After picking up my T-shirt, I made my way to the nearest T station for the trip back to my hotel.  On weekends, the hotel’s breakfast service doesn’t end until 11:00.  Even after taking the time to get cleaned up and change into clean clothes, I still had plenty of time for breakfast.

The purpose of this race was to evaluate whether I can be ready to compete in the 5,000 meter race-walk event at the National Senior Games in May.  I signed up for it several months ago, but I wasn’t able to do any race-walking during the winter months.  It’s only in the last few weeks that my back has improved enough that I could walk at a fast pace without aggravating my back.

There were two things I was hoping to learn today.  The first was how fast I could walk 5K after missing about five months of training.  My average pace today was 10:17.  That’s not as fast as I was walking last summer, but it’s as fast as I could hope to be with so little recent training.  I was originally hoping I could break 30 minutes at the National Senior Games.  At this point, I don’t think that’s a realistic goal, but I still have hope of placing high in my age group.  In the most recent National Senior Games, the third place time in my age group was 31:50.

The other thing I wanted to evaluate was whether I could train and race hard without re-injuring my back.  I didn’t have any lower back or sciatic nerve issues during or immediately after this race.  I’ll have to wait and see how I feel over the next day or two.

My next race is the Boston Marathon on Monday.  Stay tuned for another race report.


Race statistics:
Distance:  5 kilometers
Time:  31:51
Average pace:  6:22 per kilometer (10:17 per mile)
Average cadence:  173 strides per minute
Maximum cadence:  193 strides per minute

No comments:

Post a Comment