Wednesday, May 11, 2022

2022 National Senior Games: 5,000 Meter Race-Walk

On May 11, I competed in the 5,000 meter race-walk event at the National Senior Games in Fort Lauderdale, FL.  This was my second race-walking event in two days.  Yesterday, I did the 1,500 meter race.

In contrast to yesterday’s race, which was on a track, today’s race was on pavement.  It was a 1,000 meter road circuit outside of Florida Live Arena.  We needed to complete the circuit five times.

I already had my race bibs, since they’re the same ones I wore for yesterday’s 1,500 meter race.  That meant I didn’t have to leave the hotel quite as early as I did yesterday.

I felt like the breakfast I ate yesterday was about right, so I did the same thing today.  I bought Pop Tarts in the hotel store and had them with tea, which I made in my room.  That allowed me to eat breakfast as soon as I woke up, so I would have a little time to digest before the race.

Although I already had my race bibs, I still wanted to get to the race venue a little early.  I was a unsure exactly where we were supposed to meet, so I allowed some time for getting lost.  When I got to the arena, the first two gates I passed were closed.  I continued until I found a gate that was open, but I still didn’t know exactly where to go.  There wasn’t any signage.

After driving more that halfway around the arena and its many parking lots, I saw an employee on a golf cart.  I stopped to ask him if he knew where the race-walking event was.  He didn’t know, but he told me had seen a white tent in one of the parking lots near Gate 2.  I continued driving around the building until I saw a white canopy with several cars parked nearby.  That was it.

I was there in time to watch the start of the women’s heat, which started at 7:30.  The men’s race wasn’t scheduled to start until 8:15.


While I was watching the women’s race, I learned how competitors are informed of red cards.  Often a judge will say something as a walker passes, but you don’t always know for sure if they’re giving you a red card, or if it’s just a warning.  Near the end of the course, there was a board where they listed the numbers of any walkers who had been given red cards.  Each red dot next to a number represents one red card.


In pre-race instructions, the walkers were all told that even if they see three red dots next to their number, they should continue walking, just in case there was a mistake.  If someone is actually disqualified, the chief judge will hold up a red paddle and ask them to leave the course.

The weather today was several degrees cooler than yesterday.  There was a chance of a late morning shower, but that never materialized.  I found the conditions to be almost ideal for a 5K race.

I had been worried about whether walking at an all-out pace would aggravate my lower back.  It never bothered me during yesterday’s race, and I felt fine for the rest of the day.  I was surprised that I felt much better after an intense 1,500 meter race than I did the day before after sitting on a plane for a few hours.

This morning, I felt fine when I got up, but after driving to today’s race, I noticed some minor discomfort near my right hip.  Every so often, I would lean against a light pole and do some pelvic tilts.

I walked yesterday’s race at a pace that extrapolates to 9:38 per mile.  That gave me a good idea what my top speed is.  What I didn’t know is what pace I could sustain for 5,000 meters, which is more than three times as far.  Besides yesterday’s race, I had two other benchmarks in mind.  The first was my 5,000 meter time from the Minnesota Senior Games last August.  That worked out to an average pace of 9:55 per mile.  The other was the 10:17 pace that I averaged last month at the B.A.A. 5K race.  I expected my pace today to be somewhere between those two.

I placed fourth yesterday, and I wanted to see if I could climb into the top three today.  My top speed isn’t as fast as some of the other walkers, but I was hoping my marathon training would give me more staying power.  Before the race, I recognized the guy who won my age group yesterday.  I didn’t spot the second and third place walkers from yesterday’s race, but that didn’t mean they weren’t here.  Also, I didn’t know if there were fast walkers in today’s race who didn’t do yesterday’s race.

The course had two turnaround points.  Roughly 100 meters from the start, we turned around a circle of cones.  The other end of the circuit went through a parking lot, and the turnaround was much wider.

When the gun went off, I started walking as fast as I could.  There was a lead pack of about seven walkers who reached the first turn ahead of me.  One of them was the guy who won my age group yesterday.  I didn’t know how many of the others were in my age group.  Since men from every age group were in the same heat, I liked my odds of being in the top three or four in my age group.

Two men were way out in front.  The other five who were ahead of me were in a pack.  The guy who won my age group yesterday was leading them.  I was surprised how close I was to his pace, but that was in the first 100-200 meters.  Then I gradually fell farther behind, although I could almost always see them.

There were at least six race-walking judges spread around the course.  Except for the turnarounds, the course was basically out-and-back.  That meant each judge could observe walkers from both directions.  On average, we passed within sight of a judge every 100 meters.

As I was nearing the far turn during my first lap, I heard one of the judges warn the walker in front of me that his knee was bent.  As we passed near the next judge, he warned the same walker.  The next judge did too.  As we reached the end of the lap, he passed near the chief race-walking judge and asked her something.  I couldn’t hear, but he probably asked her how many red cards he had.  It might have already been three.  The judge said, “I don’t have any information for you.”  Then she added, “… but I’m calling you for bent knee.”

As I finished my first lap, I looked at my watch.  I finished that lap in 6:16, which put me on pace to finish in 31:20.  That was slower than my time last August at the Minnesota Senior Games, but it was faster than my time a month ago in the B.A.A. 5K.  That was within my expectations.

I had established a reasonable starting pace.  Now I had to work hard to sustain it.  I still wasn’t that far behind the pack of walkers in front of me.  I tried to tether myself to them.

Midway through my second lap, I felt my watch vibrate as it recorded a split.  My pace for my first full mile was 10:02.  Again, that was within the range I expected.  I wanted to get my pace down to 10 minutes, but I just haven’t done enough recent training.

As I neared the end of my second lap, I looked at the board for red cards.  I was looking for number 41.  That was the walker who was right in front of me in my previous lap.  I had since passed him, but I knew at least four judges had said something to him about his form.  His number wasn’t on the board yet.  Sometimes a judge will give you a warning and keep their eyes on you in subsequent laps.  If you can correct your form, you’re OK.  If you can’t, they’ll give you a red card the next time they see you.  Apparently, this walker was able to correct his form.  Much later in the race, I saw he had one red card, but I don’t think he ever got disqualified.

I walked my second lap in 6:13.  That was three seconds faster than my first lap.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t hold that pace much longer.  It was in the third lap that I began to struggle with the pace.  I did the best I could, but I slowed down a little.

The race was chip-timed and there was a race official just past the finish line transponder who could see our splits for each lap as well as our cumulative times.  Each time a walker passed, he read their time and their lap split.  That proved to be helpful when I finished my third lap.  When I looked at my watch, I saw my time, but made a mental arithmetic error as I computed my split.  I thought I had sped up by one second.  In fact, I slowed down by nine seconds.  I realized by mistake only after the official told me my split.  Then I lit a fire under myself to pick up my effort in the last two laps.

Near the beginning of my fourth lap, I got another mile split from my watch.  It was 10:14, which was discouraging.  I worked even harder to pick up the pace again.

I saw that I was started to gain ground on one of the walkers ahead of me.  I knew he was in a different age group, but I tried to catch him anyway.  Near the end of the lap, I finally reeled him in.  As I went by, I said, “Don’t worry about me.  I’m not in your age group.”  As it turns out, he had other worries.  We passed a judge, who gave him a red card.  After the race, I found out he was disqualified.

My fourth lap was one second faster than my third lap.  As I started the last lap, I looked for the walker who won my age group yesterday.  He was on his way back from the first turn.  It’s possible his lead wasn’t as large as it had been earlier, but he was still at least 100 meters ahead of me.

After making the turn myself, I looked for him and realized there were no other walkers between us.  I assumed he was winning our age group.  If he was, then I was in second.  That gave me the motivation I needed to hold it together for one more lap.

I lapped several walkers who were near the back of the pack.  I kept my focus on the one runner ahead of me who I knew was in my age group.  I knew I wouldn’t catch him, but I didn’t want to lose sight of him.

I finished the race in 31:31.12.  I heard the timing official say I had sped up in my last lap.  I did, but only by one second.  I went to the walker I had been chasing and asked him if he had won our age group.  He did, but as it turns out, he had been worried about another walker who started even faster.  That guy got disqualified.

When I finished, they were still presenting the awards for the women.  They did them one age group at a time, and there were eight awards for each age group.  It took time to get through them all.  Eventually, they got to the men, but I still had to wait for all the older age groups before they got to mine.  Then I finally got confirmation that I won the silver medal for my age group.


I never noticed my lower back during the race, but I started to notice it afterwards.  It felt different than it did before the race.  I had some minor soreness near my tailbone.  I couldn’t do much about it while I was at the race.  When I got back to the hotel, I took a hot bath and did some more stretching.  After that, it felt much better.

I don’t have any other race-walking events scheduled.  In the short term, I’m going to shift my focus back to running marathons.  Walking will still be a part of my training, but I can do longer walks at a less intense pace.  If my back continues to improve, I may do the walking events at this year’s Minnesota Senior Games, but those are still a few months away.


Race statistics:
Distance:  5,000 meters
Time:  31:31.12
Average pace:  6:18 per kilometer; 10:08 per mile
Average cadence:  174 strides per minute
Place in age group:  2nd

No comments:

Post a Comment