Monday, January 1, 2024

My Goals for 2024

For the first time in years, I’m starting the year healthy, and with a good training base.  My first two goals for the year reflect that.

Run 3,000 Miles in 2024

One of my goals for 2023 was to get back in shape.  I did that.  For 2024, I have the easier task of simply staying in shape, which is mostly a matter of keeping up my training.  The hard part is to be consistent all year, which depends on staying healthy all year.

I’ve never run 3,000 miles in a calendar year, although I’ve been in the 2,800s three times.  To run 3,000 miles, I need to average 250 miles per month.  I ran that much each month in the last four months of 2023, so I just have to keep training at the same level, which mostly comes down to staying healthy.

Run at Least 100 Miles in the FANS 24-Hour Run

I mostly run marathons, but once or twice a year, I’ll do an ultra.  The last time I did a long ultra (100+ miles) was two years ago at the FANS 24-Hour Run.  When I decided to do this race in 2022, it was a last-minute decision.  I chose to enter the race when I discovered that I could compete for a state championship for men over 60.  I was pretty sure I could win that, even though I had not been training for an ultra.

Relying mainly on experience, I was able to run 101.4 miles, even with minimal training.  This year, I’m starting the year with the best mileage base I’ve had in years.  The race isn’t until June, so I have five more months to train.

My minimum goal for this race is to run 100 miles.  If I can do that, I’m confident I’ll also win another state championship for my age group.  Obviously, I’ll run farther if I can, but I have to be careful not to overreach.

Run My 100th Minnesota Marathon

I’ve run 95 marathons or ultras in my home state of Minnesota.  Running at least five more in 2024 is a priority.  I was already interested in doing the five-day Summer Camp Series in July.  Those five races alone would be enough to get me to 100.  I’m also planning to do FANS, and I may do one or two others as well.

Run Marathons in 50 Countries

I’ve run marathons in 46 different countries.  That puts me within striking distance of 50.  I’ve already booked travel to three new countries this year.  Ideally, I’d like to add a fourth, although there isn’t much room in my schedule.  This one is sort of a stretch goal.  It might come down to whether I can schedule an international trip in December.

Run Outdoors Whenever Possible

Last year, I didn’t do any running on a treadmill.  Running outdoors is challenging during the winter months, but running outdoors has forced me to pick up my feet more, so I’m less prone to tripping.

Inevitably, there will be days when running outdoors just isn’t possible.  I’m not going to run during a blizzard, nor am I going to run during a thunderstorm.  If my only choices are run indoors or take a day off, I’ll consider running indoors.  Still, I’d like to keep my indoor running to a minimum.  I won’t run on the treadmill just because it’s easier or more convenient.

Qualify for the National Senior Games

The National Senior Games are held in odd-number years.  Qualifying takes place at various state games in even-numbered years.

The Minnesota Senior Games are held in August.  At a minimum, I’d like to qualify for nationals in the race-walk events.  Ideally, I’d like to also qualify for the 5K and 10K road race events, and perhaps a track event, like the 1500 meter run.

Qualifying at the state level is usually pretty easy, as the race-walk events tend to be thinly attended, and you can qualify in road race events just by competing.  The difficulty with competing in multiple events is scheduling.  Doing more events means spending more days away from home, and sometimes there are schedule conflicts between events in different disciplines.

Stay on Schedule to Finish a 5th Circuit of 50 States in 2025

I’m within striking distance of completing my 5th circuit of marathons or ultras in every state.  To finish, I need to run marathons in Alabama, Arkansas, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

It would be possible to schedule all nine of these states in 2024, but some of the races I would need to schedule conflict with my other priorities.  Rather than try to finish this year, I’m aiming for 2025.  I finished my first circuit of states at the Vermont City Marathon in Burlington.  Since Vermont is one of the states I need, I’d like to go back to the same race to finish my 5th circuit.

I can easily schedule races in most of these states.  Ideally, I’ll go into 2025 needing just a couple states, with one of them being Vermont.

No comments:

Post a Comment