Saturday, April 13, 2024

Race Report: 2024 B.A.A. 5K

It’s the weekend of the Boston Marathon.  For the third straight year, I flew to Boston on Friday, so I could do the B.A.A. 5K race Saturday morning.

It’s getting harder and harder to find hotels anywhere near Boylston Street, where the marathon finishes.  It’s not just that the close hotels are expensive.  Most of them are fully booked a year in advance.  For the second straight year, I’m staying someplace new.  It’s another hotel in the downtown area.  It’s within walking distance of a station on the blue line, so I could get there from the airport without having to change trains.  It’s also within walking distance of a green line station, so I can get to Boylston Street without changing trains.

My race bib for the 5K race was mailed to me, but I still needed to pick up my race packet for the marathon.  After checking into my room and dropping off my luggage, I went to the Hynes Convention Center to pick up my race packet.

On my way to the convention center, I saw this sculpture in the lobby of a Bank of America branch that’s near the marathon finish line.  Bank of America recently replaced John Hancock as the principal sponsor of the marathon.

After picking up my race packet for the marathon, I visited several of the booths.  I didn’t buy anything, but I always stop at the Marathon Tours and Samuel Adams booths.  I also stopped by the Point32Health booth, where they were giving sets of bib clips to runners who were over 60.

Even though I’ve done the marathon a dozen times, I was still surprised how heavy the race packet was.  It included a bottle of water, a large bottle of Gatorade, a protein drink, a race program, and several other product samples.  After the expo, I went straight back to the hotel, to drop it off.

I took some time to organize my clothes for the 5K race.  Then I went to a nearby cafe to pick up something for my breakfast.  Finally, I had dinner at a pizzeria near my hotel.

The start area for the 5K race was in Boston Common, which was able a mile from my hotel.  I could’ve walked there almost as fast as I could get there on the subway.  I took the subway, so I wouldn’t have to spend as much time outdoors before the race.

The race didn’t start until 8:00 AM, but they start loading the corrals at 7:30.  I waited until 7:00 before leaving my hotel.

The temperature was in the upper 40s, but I was expecting a cold breeze.  I wore tights to keep my legs warm, and I also wore a Tyvek jacket until the race started.  They had a gear check, so I could’ve worn extra layers on my way to the start, but I decided not to bother.  The gear check would’ve taken extra time both before and after the race.

You could pick up your T-shirt either before or after the race.  Some people pick it up before and put the T-shirt in their gear bag.  Since I wasn’t checking a bag, I waited until afterward.

Last year, I ran this race without doing any specific training for it.  I had race-walked a few 5K races, but it was my first time running 5K in about 20 years.  Since then, I’ve run two other 5K races.  I expected to be faster than I was last April, but I didn’t know how I would compare to my fastest 5K race last summer.  I wasn’t doing any fast-pace training during the winter months.

This is a large race.  There are about 10,000 runners, divided into two waves.  Figuring out where to line up is always a guess.  When I entered the start corral, I saw a sign indicating 9:00 pace, so I moved farther forward.  I expected my starting pace to be between 7:00 and 8:00, but I never saw signs for those paces.  Before I knew it, I was in the front of the corral for non-elite athletes.

When they moved us from the corral toward the actual start line on Charles Street, I walked slowly, while most of the other runners moved as quickly as they could.  Now I was farther back, and I wondered if I was too far back.

After the elite runners started, we moved forward again.  Now I went back to thinking I might be too far forward.

As we started running, there was a bit of congestion.  I was running fast at first, but came almost to a stop before having room to speed up again.  It didn’t take long, however, before I found enough room to run.  I hadn’t even made the first turn onto Boylston Street before I was already out of breath.

We ran two blocks along Boylston before turning again onto Arlington.  On Boylston, I was trying to find my pace, while also watching out for potholes.  By the time I turned onto Arlington, I was already slowing a bit from my initial pace.  It was a constant negotiation with myself.  I could move my legs faster, but I didn’t have the aerobic capacity to keep up that pace.

After two blocks on Arlington, we made a left turn onto Commonwealth.  By now, I had settled into what I hoped was the right pace.  I focused on keeping up with the runners around me until I saw my time for the first mile.

When I got my first split, I was disappointed.  I ran the first mile in 7:37.  That’s faster than I ran the same mile a year ago, but it wasn’t as fast as a 5K race than I ran last summer.

I couldn’t see myself picking up the pace.  The pace I was going already felt unsustainable.  I had been out of breath since early in the race, and that wouldn’t get better.  This is why I don’t like running 5K races.  They’re way too intense.

In the second mile, I kept up with the runners around me.  We eventually went down a slight ramp to go under a bridge.  I accelerated going downhill, but struggled with the pace coming back uphill on the other side of the bridge.

Next, we made a U-turn around the median to reach east-bound lanes.  We were now following the last kilometer of the marathon route.

Again, I accelerated going under the bridge.  Again, I struggled with the pace coming back uphill.  Ahead of me, I could see runners turning onto Hereford.

It’s two short blocks on Hereford before the turn back onto Boylston Street.  The two mile mark was right at that corner.  My second mile was one second faster than the first mile.  I expected it to be slower.  I was no longer keeping up with the runners around me.

When you turn onto Boylston Street, you can see the marathon finish line in the distance.  I knew that wasn’t our finish line.  I knew I would need to run another 7/10 of a mile after crossing that line.  I nevertheless ran hard toward the marathon finish line.

It occurred to me that this was probably the fastest I’ve run on Boylston Street.  I’m never this fast at the end of the marathon.  That thought propelled me.

After passing the marathon finish line, it got more difficult to maintain my pace.  I started to feel the wind for the first time.  It must’ve been a tailwind in the first half of the race.  Now it was a headwind.

It was two and a half blocks to Arlington.  That wasn’t so bad.  After that, it was another two blocks to get back to Charles Street.  Those two blocks seemed like forever.

On the other side of the street, I could see runners from the second wave who were going the other direction.  I was almost done, but they were just getting started.  I felt bad for them.  I was so glad to be done with those miles.

After making the turn onto Charles, I saw the three mile sign.  I expected to be disappointed with my time for that mile.  I was shocked to see that I sped up to 7:17 in the third mile.  That gave me the incentive to keep running hard to the finish line.

I finished in 23:19.  My best time last year was 22:46, so I was a little disappointed that I’m not as fast now.  On the plus side, my time was more than a minute faster than my time from this same race a year ago.

The finisher medal is pretty nice for a 5K race.  It has designs on both sides, and it features the B.A.A. logo, just like the marathon.


After getting my medal, I moved quickly through the finish area to get my food bag and my T-shirt.

After getting back to the hotel, I ate most of my post-race food, but I couldn’t eat it all.  They give you as much food after the 5K race as they do after the marathon.  What I didn’t eat today, I can save for my pre-race breakfast on Monday.


Race statistics:
Distance:  5 kilometers
Time:  23:19
Average pace:  4:40 per kilometer (7:31 per mile)

No comments:

Post a Comment