Monday, October 14, 2024

Race Report: 2024 Chicago Marathon

On October 13, I ran the Chicago Marathon.  This is the sixth time I’ve run this race.  I’m usually able to get into the race with a qualifying time.  Running this race is usually an excuse to travel to Chicago for the pizza.  Chicago-style pizza is my favorite.

Hotels in Chicago are expensive on race weekend.  The flight from Minneapolis to Chicago is relatively short, so I didn’t fly to Chicago until Saturday morning.

I took a train into the city from the airport, and arrived at my hotel around 9:30.  I stayed at the Palmer House, which is just a block away from Grant Park, where the race starts and finishes.  I’ve stayed at this hotel twice before.

It was too early to check into a room, so I left my bags at the hotel and went to the McCormick Place, where the expo was held.  After the expo, I had lunch at Giordano’s., which is one of the better restaurants for deep dish pizza.

After lunch, I went back to the hotel, and I was able to check into my room.  After bringing my bags up to my room, I did a workout in the fitness room.  Then I organized my clothes for the race.

When I travel, I sometimes look for styles of beer that I can’t find at home.  I learned that a local brewery had collaborated with a brewery in Kiev to produce a Ukrainian Golden Ale, which is a style of beer I had never tried before.  I had some free time before dinner, so I took a train to a bar/beer store on the north side that had this beer.

My friend Mary traveled to Chicago to volunteer at both the 5K race and the marathon.  I had dinner with Mary and three of her other friends who were either running or volunteering.

We went to Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder Company.  I had never been to this restaurant before, but they have something called a pizza pot pie.  It’s like a deep-dish pizza, but it’s baked with the crust on top.  Then they flip it over and cut it out of the pan, so the crust is more like a bowl.



Sunday was race day.  I was conflicted about what to wear.  I was expecting temperatures in the 50s, but with strong winds.  Normally, when the temperature is above 50, I’ll wear shorts, but I didn’t know how cold it would feel with the wind.  Also, this is a race where you spend a long time in the start corrals before the race actually starts.  I was worried about my legs getting too cold while I was waiting in the corrals.

When I got up, it was 60 degrees.  That was warmer than I expected, but it looked like the temperature was still dropping.  I still expected the temperature to be in the 50s for the whole race.  I was still worried about cold winds, so I reluctantly wore tights.

The marathon was divided into three waves.  The first wave started at 7:30.  I was in the second wave, which didn’t start until 8:00.  The race organizers recommend arriving in Grant Park two hours before your wave starts.  I’ve learned to take that recommendation seriously.  There are security checkpoints to get into the start area, and they need to inspect everyone’s bags.  If you don’t allow enough time, you can get stuck in a long line.

I arrived at Grant Park at 6:00.  I got through the security checkpoint quickly, so I had lots of time before I needed to be in my corral.  I had a jacket, gloves, and a pair of wind pants, so I didn’t have to worry about getting cold while I waited.

The gear check tents were near Buckingham Fountain.  There are also benches around the fountain, so that’s where I was planning to wait.  When I got to the fountain, I didn’t see any port-o-potties.  I saw some portable changing rooms, but no port-o-potties.  I asked at one of the information tents, and a volunteer told me the nearest port-o-potties were on the other side of the street with the start corrals.

I found the port-o-potties.  There were near the corrals for people in the third wave.  When I got there, there wasn’t any line.  I did my business and then went back to the fountain, where I found a bench I could sit on.  I still had an hour and a half before I needed to be in my corral.

I relaxed by the fountain for about half an hour.  I needed to make another bathroom stop, but first I took off my wind pants and checked my gear bag.  I kept my jacket on.

I went back to the same port-o-potties.  It was harder to get to them now, because more of the street was blocked off.  There were lines, but they weren’t unreasonably long.

After my second bathroom stop, I still had 55 minutes before the start of my wave.  I expected to make one more bathroom stop before going to my corral.  I was tempted to immediately get back in line again, but I didn’t know how long it would take it get to my corral.  It was a long walk, and I would have to get through thick crowds.

There were more port-o-potties that were closer to my corral, so I went there instead.  That was a mistake.  The lines there were insane.  There was a separate line for each port-o-potty, and there were about 50 people in each line.  I waited in line until it was obvious that I didn’t have time.  Then I gave up and went to my corral.  By then, the first wave had started.

I was assigned to corral F, which was the first corral of the second wave.  When I got there, it looked like the corral was already packed.  There were dozens of runners trying to get in, but there was only one entrance, and the volunteers had to check each runner’s race bib.

There was hardly any room to get into the corral.  Some runners were getting into the corral and then stopping near the entrance.  One of the volunteers was telling us to keep moving after we got into the corral.  I didn’t see any room near the back of the corral, so I started moving forward.  The farther I moved forward, the more room I found.  The corral was only overcrowded near the back.

I ended up lining up farther forward than I probably should have.  Near me, I saw a 3:35 pace group.  Just a short distance in front of me, I saw pace groups for 3:20, 3:25, and 3:30.  There was also a 3:40 group, but they were lined up at the back of the corral.  I couldn’t get anywhere near them.

Fifteen minutes before my wave was due to start, they closed the entrances to the corrals, and started moving us forward into the area where the runners in wave one had previously lined up.  As we slowly walked forward, we had to step over clothing and water bottles that were discarded by the runners in wave one.

Five minutes before our start, we moved forward some more.  I took off my jacket and tied it around my waist.  It had been a long wait, but I knew it was about to get serious when I heard them play “Sirius.”  That’s the same music they played just before the first wave started.

I knew two of the runners who were leading the 3:45 group, but they were lined up in corral G.  My plan was to start running on my own and join the 3:45 group when they caught up to me.  Until then, I was planning to pace myself for about 3:50.  That works out to about 8:46 per mile.

This race gets larger every year.  This year, there were more than 50,000 runners.  In a race that large, the start is always congested.  I didn’t have a good feel for my pace.  I just moved my feet quickly and tried not to bump into anyone.  That forced me to start at the pace of the other runners in my corral, even though I had every reason to believe that would be too fast.

In the first mile, we crossed a bridge over the Chicago River.  It’s was one of those steel grate bridges that’s uncomfortable to run on.  There were a few bridges like this, and they put carpet over the bridges to make them more comfortable for running.  I saw another runner trip on the carpet.  He almost fell, but he managed to keep his balance.

Shortly after we made our first turn, I heard my watch vibrate.  It was already recording my split for the first mile, even though I was sure I had not run that far.  It said I ran the first mile in 6:38.  I knew that was wrong.  I’m not capable of running that fast.

When you’re surrounded by tall buildings, you don’t have a direct line of sight to the GPs satellites.  Instead, the signal can bounce off the sides of buildings.  That can really fool a GPS watch, so you see some weird results.  It was almost two more minutes before I reached the one-mile sign.

I checked my watch when I finished the first mile.  My actual time for that mile was 8:31.  That was too fast, but it wasn’t crazy fast.  I kept running and didn’t worry too much about it.  I could settle into a slower pace later.  For now, I was just trying to make it around the corners without bumping into people.

After the next turn, I reached an aid station.  In crowded races like this, I’m always worried about bumping into other runners at the aid stations.  I waited for other runners to move in and grab cups of Gatorade.  When it looked like there was nobody in the way, I angled toward one of the volunteers who was holding out a cup.  Just then, a much faster running darted between me and the volunteers.  He bumped my shoulder, pushing me away from the aid station.  I had to wait until that runner had taken his cup and moved past me.  Then I was finally able to grab a cup.

The aid station volunteers at this race all know what they’re doing.  They hold the cups out, sometimes at arm’s length.  They hold them delicately and let you grab them as you go by.  I was always able to grab a cup on the run and drink it without spilling.  Normally, I slow to a walk while drinking.  In this race, I drank on the run at every aid station.  I never walked a single step in the whole race.

The only problem at aid stations was the other runners.  More than once, a runner sped between me and the volunteers, just as I was going to grab a cup.  More than once, the runner in front of me suddenly stopped, forcing me to slow down or switch directions.  Thankfully, this became less of a problem later in the race.

Long before I finished the second mile, my watch was already recording a split.  I ignored the splits my watch was recording, because I didn’t trust them.  I went “old school.”  I read my watch each time I reached a mile marker.  I used to do that all the time.  The hard part is remembering your time at the previous mile marker, so you can subtract to get your current pace.  When I reached the second mile marker, I saw that my pace was only one second slower than the first mile.

By the third mile, I was already getting hot and sweaty.  There wasn’t as much wind as I expected, and I was noticing some humidity.  I was still running faster than I planned, and getting too hot was likely to make the pace feel more tiring.

I never saw the sign for three miles, but I saw the sign for 5K.  My time there was consistent with my time at two miles.

We were heading north now.  The last forecast I had seen showed the wind coming mostly from the north.  We should have had a headwind now, but I still wasn’t noticing much wind.  Either I was wrong about the wind direction or the wind wasn’t as strong as I was expecting.  Either way, I was regretting my decision to wear tights.  I was overdressed.

I also regretted that I wasn’t able to make another bathroom stop before the race.  I could feel some pressure building up in my intestines.  I was sure I would need to make a bathroom stop at some point, but I wanted to wait as long as possible.  I had two concerns.  My first concern was that stopping this early in the race might cause me to fall behind the 3:45 group that was somewhere behind me.  I don’t know how much stagger there was between corrals.  So far, I was running slightly faster than their pace.  If I stopped for two or three minutes, they might go by me.  I didn’t want to have to try to catch up to them if I fell behind.  My second concern is that stopping might take me out of my rhythm.  The runners around me were keeping me on a fast pace.  If I dropped back too far because I stopped, I might suddenly be surrounded by slower runners.

By the time I reached the five-mile mark, the sun came out.  I was expecting it to stay cloudy.  Now I was even more concerned that I would get too hot.  I hold up well when I’m hot, but it would make my pace feel more tiring.  I was still averaging about 8:32 per mile, and I questioned whether this pace would wear me down.

In mile six, I sped up a little.  For the first time, my pace was under 8:30.  Before, my pace just seemed too fast.  Now, it was starting to seem crazy fast.  Mile seven was also faster than 8:30.

The aid stations usually had music.  Somewhere around seven miles, I heard them playing “Maniac” from the movie Flashdance.  I don’t listen to music during races, but I’ve sometimes thought about creating a playlist where each song fits the emotions you’re feeling at a specific point in the race.  “Maniac” is a song that would definitely go in my playlist, but I wouldn’t listen to it this early in the race.  It’s an energetic song, and it might make me run too fast, which is exactly what I was doing.  It would be better for later in the race, when you’re fighting to hang on.

By now, mostly of the runners around me had settled into a similar pace, but I saw one guy weaving around people like mad as he tried to move up.  He came up on my left, and then suddenly cut in front of me.  As he did, one of his feet hooked my left leg.  I didn’t lose my balance, but he did.  He barely avoided falling.  Then he continued weaving around people.  He was adding all kinds of extra distance.  I sometimes get bottled up behind slower runners, but I try to be patient about finding an opening that makes it easy to get around them.

In the eighth mile, I saw a dump truck blocking the road ahead of us, so I knew we were about to turn.  We had reached the northernmost point on the course.  After turning the corner, I saw someone dressed as Superman, complete with cape.  Then I saw a runner next to him dressed as Captain America, complete with shield.  I wondered if they were friends and they were running together.  Then I wondered if they knew that their characters were from rival comic book companies.

We didn’t go very far before turning again.  Now we were heading south, back towards the downtown area.  I didn’t notice as much wind now.  If I was right about having a headwind before, we would have a tailwind on our way back.  I was still hot and sweaty, so I needed a cooling breeze.  I wasn’t going to get one for several miles.

I felt like I was going at a pace that might break me, especially if I was too hot.  The sensible thing to do would be to slow down to the 8:40s, which was the pace I was originally planning to run.  Somehow, I was afraid to slow down.  It wasn’t rational, but I thought if I unhitched myself from the runners around me, I would slow down too much, and then I wouldn’t be able to speed up again.  Experience told me my current effort wasn’t going to be sustainable for the whole race, but I stuck with it out of this irrational fear of slowing down.

At one point, I saw a spectator holding up a sign that read, “Bears 7, Jaguars 3.”  The Chicago Bears were playing in London.  It was an afternoon game there, but in this time zone, it was a morning game.  I had a similar experience last weekend at the Twin Cities Marathon, when the Minnesota Vikings were playing in London.  If I didn’t know better, I would think the NFL consults marathonguide.com before planning their schedules.

At 10 miles, if was easy to compute my average pace.  I was averaging 8:31 per mile.  That’s 15 seconds faster than my target pace.  Already, I was two and a half minutes ahead of schedule, but I pressed on.

At another aid station, I heard them playing “Walking on Sunshine” by Katrina and the Waves.  That’s another fast-tempo high energy song.  I just fed on it.

I was also feeding off the energy of the spectators.  There were thick crowds everywhere, and they were cheering us on.  It reminded me of how I always feel running through Brooklyn during the New York City Marathon.  The crowds get you so excited that you just can’t contain yourself.

Sometimes during a race, I’ll reach a particular mile or kilometer marker and I’ll think about where I would be on a different course that’s familiar to me.  At 20K, it occurred to me that if I was running the Boston Marathon, I was be arriving at the “Wellesley Scream Tunnel.”  I always feel fresh at that point in the race.  I was at the 20K mark of this race, and I definitely didn’t not feel fresh.

I’ve had lots of other races where I ran the first half at a pace that felt like this.  About 95% of the time, the wheels came off in the second half.  The other 5% of the time, I went on to do something special.  At this point in the race, I fully expected to blow up in the second half, but I kept going at the same pace.

Ever since the first mile, my watch was consistently recording splits long before I reached a mile marker.  I usually looked at it, but I didn’t trust what it was telling me.  When it prematurely recorded a split for mile 13, the time it had for that mile was much slower than my previous miles.  I didn’t think I slowed down in that mile.  It was easy to believe I might run out of gas at any time, but I was still keeping up with all the runners around me.  When I finished mile 13, I saw that I actually sped up in that mile.

I reached the halfway point in 1:51:32.  I was almost three and a half minutes ahead of my target time.  I was roughly on pace to finish in 3:43.

I can still remember my all-time fastest marathon.  It was the only time I every broke three hours.  For the first half of the race, I thought I was running way too fast.  I expected to blow up.  When I still felt OK at the halfway point, I started to believe that I might not blow up.  I was now at the same point of this race.  I didn’t have that same confidence.  I still expected to blow up.

I began to lose my fear of slowing down.  My primary goal was to run a Boston qualifying time.  After running the first half of the race at a pace that was at least 15 second per mile too fast, I could now afford to slow down by roughly 30 seconds per mile in the second half.  I could, but I didn’t.  Knowing I had room to slow down emboldened me to keep up the pace.

My watch gave me another wonky split for mile 14.  It said I sped up to 7:02 in that mile.  We were back in the downtown area, so we had been near tall buildings in that mile.  I had every reason to distrust my watch, but I did suspect I may have sped up a little.  I was curious to know what my time would be when I actually finished that mile.  Unfortunately, I got distracted and forgot to look.

That was the beginning of a pattern.  For the next several miles, I was only remembering to look at my watch every other mile.  My two-mile splits were usually 17 minutes or faster, so my average pace per mile was 8:30 or faster.

We were heading west now, and I felt much more wind.  I don’t know what the wind direction was before, but now it was definitely a headwind.  That was a huge relief.  The wind went a long way toward cooling me down.  Also, it wasn’t sunny any more.  For the rest of the race, we had cloud cover.  That was just what I needed.

Somewhere around here, I realized that my digestive system had stabilized.  I no longer felt like I needed a bathroom stop.  I wouldn’t stop until after the race.

Maybe it’s because I was running with more confidence, or maybe other people were starting to slow down.  I started to notice lots of slower runners in front of me.  I had to look for openings, so I could move around them.

We crossed a street that runs diagonally.  Chicago has lots of those.  As I looked down that street, I saw a Church’s Chicken restaurant.  I suddenly remembered running past one in this race in a previous year.  As I looked closer, I saw a stream of runners going the opposite direction on a different street.  They were going right by Church’s Chicken.  This was the restaurant I remembered.  We just weren’t there yet.

Soon, I entered a block with a sign saying, “Charity Block Party.”  On both sides of the street, there were dozens of canopies set up.  Each one had the name of a different charitable organization.

Shortly after the charity block party, I saw a huge Mexican flag on the side of a building.  It was the Mexican consulate.  As I entered that block, I saw spectators holding up Mexican flags.  There are several ethnic neighborhoods in the second half of the race.  I knew we would go through a Mexican neighborhood at some point, so I thought we were there.  I was wrong.  That neighborhood would come later.

We reached the western edge of this section of the course and turned left.  We passed the 25K mark.  Then we turned again.  Now we were heading back toward the city center.  Ahead of me, I could see the 16-mile sign.

We continued toward downtown, and we eventually passed Church’s Chicken.  It’s funny the things that stick in your memory during a race.

As we turned and briefly headed south, I recognized most of our surroundings, but one thing seemed different.  We ran by a CTA station on the blue line.  There was a roof that extended over the street from that station.  I don’t remember running under that before.  Was this a new building, or is my memory faulty?

We turned and headed west again.  Soon we ran through a neighborhood where I saw posts painted with the colors of the Italian flag.  We had reached the Italian neighborhood.  I heard a spectator say we had three more neighborhoods, but I don’t know which ones he meant.

Somewhere between 18 and 19 miles, we reached the westernmost part of this section.  Even before I turned the corner, I remembered exactly where the 19-mile mark was.  I also remember how I felt when I got there in previous years.

As I turned the corner, I looked ahead and saw a large digital clock.  That was the 30K mark.  When I reached 30K, my watch was already recording a split for 19 miles.  The 19-mile mark wasn’t visible yet.  It was under a bridge.

When I reached 19 miles, I had 7.2 miles to go.  I remembered another year when I reached this point and wondered if I could run those last 7.2 miles in an hour.  I was almost on pace to do that this year, but not quite.  The more relevant question was whether I could run those last 7.2 miles in 69 minutes.  If I could do that, I would run a Boston qualifying time.

I had a lot of room to slow down.  At this point, I could slow down by a minute per mile and still be on pace for a BQ.   Knowing that gave me the confidence to keep running hard.  I didn’t feel like there was much risk now.  Even if I ran out of gas, I wasn’t likely to slow down by more than a minute per mile.  I felt like I didn’t have anything to lose, so I went for it.

As we turned the corner and headed east again, we ran through the Mexican neighborhood.  There was music, and lots of Mexican flags.

As we continued east, I eventually spotted a bridge in the distance.  I remembered this bridge.  I also remembered, that there was a slight ramp coming up to the bridge.  In any other race, you wouldn’t call it a hill.  In Chicago, it may be the biggest hill on the course.  If not, it’s the second biggest.

This was another bridge with carpet, but only on one side.  There were runners walking the bridge, and there was barely enough room to get around them while staying on the carpet.

Just after the bridge, I reached the 21-mile sign.  After another block or two, I entered Chinatown.  This is my favorite neighborhood in the whole race.  It’s a colorful neighborhood, and the crowds really turn out for the race.

After Chinatown, I had to run one more mile to reach Michigan Avenue.  The last few miles of the race are on Michigan Avenue, running north toward Grant Park.  First, however, we had to turn right and head south on Michigan Avenue.  It bothered me to know I was running away from Grant Park.

On the other side of the street, I could see runners who were already heading north.  Looking ahead, I could see the 24-mile sign, but it was on the opposite side of the street.  I wasn’t even to 23 yet.

This was another area where I had to work to get around slower runners.  It was more understandable now.  Most people start to slow down in these late miles.  I wasn’t showing any sign of slowing down.  With fewer miles to go, I was running with more confidence.

When I finished mile 23, I checked my time.  The first thing I asked myself is if I would still break 3:50 if I slowed to 10 miles per mile the rest of the way.  The answer was yes, by a wide margin.  I could slow to 11 minutes per mile, and I would still break 3:50.  My BQ was absolutely in the bag.  I could afford to slow down, but I didn’t want to.  I wanted to finish strong.  Now, it was a matter of pride.

We made a small loop, and then we got back onto Michigan Avenue going north.  This is the part of the race where I’ve always struggled to maintain my pace.  Some years, I’ve struggled just to finish this section.  I had been looking forward to getting there, but it’s a part of the course I usually dread.

The wind had apparently shifted.  Earlier it seemed to be coming from the west.  Now, it was definitely coming from the north.  It was also much stronger now.  This was the wind I had been expecting.  Running into this wind, my hands got cold.

I heard another high-energy song.  It was “Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now).”  That’s what I needed to hear.  It pumped me up, and I put even more energy into my pace.

One of the impressive things about this race is that they have signs for every kilometer, in addition to every mile.  When I reached the 39K sign, I had 3,200 meters to go.  That’s the equivalent of eight laps around a track.  That thought wasn’t actually all that helpful.  I wouldn’t know when I completed each 400 meters, so I couldn’t count down those laps.

When I reached the 40K sign, I had the equivalent of five and a half laps around a track.  That’s better than eight laps, but it still wasn’t all that helpful.

After the 25-mile sign, there’s a one mile to go sign.  I looked at my watch.  If I kept up the same pace, I would run negative splits, but it might be close.  That lit a fire under me.  I had a new goal now.  I ran much faster the rest of the way.

I reached the 41K sign.  Now I had just 1,200 meters.  That’s like three laps around a track.  From there out, there were signs every 400 meters, so that was now a useful way to look at the remaining distance.

When my watch recorded a split for mile 26, I was nowhere near the 26-mile mark.  It was still about half a mile away.  It said I sped up to 7:59 in that mile, but I didn’t know if I could trust it.  I was speeding up, though.

I reached the 800 meters to go sign.  Now, it was just two laps around a track.  I poured it on.

I made the turn at Roosevelt and started climbing up to the bridge over some railroad tracks.  If the bridge at 21 wasn’t the largest hill, this was.  I ran up the ramp as hard as I could.  I don’t know if I maintained the same pace, but if I didn’t, it wasn’t for lack of effort.

At the top of the bridge, there was a 300-meters to go sign.  I started running downhill, and then I reached the final turn.  There was a 42K sign.  There was also a 200-meters to go sign.

After that last turn, I could see the finish line.  I tried to run hard, but I was running out of gas.  Then I reminded myself that I was running for negative splits.  I still thought it might be close.  It wasn’t even remotely close.  Those last two miles were my fastest of the race.

I finished in 3:41:07.  I ran negative splits by almost two minutes.  I still can’t believe how strong I ran.  Two of my fastest races this year were on courses that descended at least 3,000 feet.  Excluding those two races, this was my second fastest marathon of the year.

As I moved through the finish area, I knew it wouldn’t be long before I started getting cold.  I was going to put on my jacket, but then I saw the volunteers handing out heat sheets.  That was easier.  Best of all, this is one of the races where there are volunteers taping the heat sheets in place, so your can keep your hands free for other things.  The only other races I know that do that are New York City and Boston.

Post-race food included bananas, apples, energy bars, Rice Krispy bars, and donuts.  Beverages included water, Muscle Milk, and beer.

Mary was volunteering in the food area, so I was hoping to see her after I finished.  I stayed in the finisher chute longer than I should have so I could look for her, but I wasn’t able to spot her.

I made my way to the gear check tents to retrieve my gear bag.  Then I made a bathroom stop before leaving Grant Park to walk back to my hotel.  They had a post-race party area with more beer, but I just wanted to get back to my room and get cleaned up.

I spent the rest of the afternoon refueling, recovering, and relaxing at the hotel.  In the evening, I went to Navy Pier to have dinner with friends who traveled here from England.  We have a few friends in common, so I also knew some of the runners from the US.

I had to get up early on Monday to get to the airport for a morning flight.  It was much colder, and there was some rain.  I’m glad we didn’t have those conditions for the race.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  3:41:07
Average Pace:  8:26 per mile
First Half:  1:51:32
Second Half:  1:49:35
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  530
Boston Qualifiers:  171
World Marathon Majors:  27 (Boston x 13, Chicago x 6, New York x 4, Berlin x 2, London, Tokyo)


No comments:

Post a Comment