Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Race Report: Summer Camp Series, Day 5

Today was the last day of the Mainly Marathons Summer Camp Series.  It was my sixth marathon in six days.  Up to this point, I had kept all my times under six hours, but yesterday I really had to work at it.  I didn’t know how today would go.

For the second straight day, we were running through Quarry Park and Nature Preserve.  Today, we ran a different route.

Before every race, there are pre-race announcements.  At the end of the announcements, they recognize people who have reached significant milestones.

Today was my 50th Minnesota marathon with Mainly Marathons since the two Minnesota brothers took over the business.  I think I was the eighth person to do that.

The man of the hour was Robert Manon, who achieved Loony Legend status today.  To be a Loony Legend, you need to run at least 100 marathons or half marathons with Mainly Marathons.  You also need to complete all 13 of their series.  When someone becomes a Loony Legend, a friend or family member tells everyone their story.  That honor went to Karen “Evil Twin” Vollan.

After that, there were three group pictures.  Throughout the year, there were three instances of two series being held back-to-back.  If you run them both, it’s called a Running Ragged series, and you get a special belt buckle.  This is a picture of everyone who completed the Triple Crown by doing all three Running Ragged series this year.

This is a picture of the AAA group.  These runners did all 75 Mainly Marathons races in the same year.  Yes, these runners are completely loony.

The last group was every Loony Legend who was here today.  I wasn’t quick enough to get a picture of that group.

The last day of a series is hot dog day.  They had hot dogs and brats at the aid station.  They also had emotional support hot dogs that you could carry with you on one of your laps.  A few runners wore special outfits for the occasion.




With all the pre-race hoopla, I didn’t have time to make a bathroom stop before the race.  I also forgot to put my watch in run mode.  While everyone else started running, I was still getting my watch ready.

Today’s weather was much cooler.  It was only 52 degrees at the start, and it didn’t get up to 70 until noon.  I actually started the race wearing gloves and a light jacket.  I was stopping to take pictures during my first lap, so it took me a while to get warmed up.

Today’s route took us past the main park pavilion and through the woods.  We crossed over a small berm that I call the “speed bump.”  Then we continued through the woods until we reached a clearing.

We crossed a floating bridge over a marsh.  Then we continued on the gravel trails until we reached quarry #2.  This is one of the quarries that has been converted into a swimming area.


On the opposite side of the trail, we ran past another quarry that’s been made into a fishing hole.

Then we continued to the eastern edge of the park, turned and kept going until we reached the turnaround cone.  Then we ran back the way we came.  We ran this route 14 times for a marathon or 7 times for a half marathon.

On the way back, the approach to the “speed bump” is steeper.  I always walked up the speed bump in this direction.

After my first lap, I had to make a bathroom stop.  Then I headed out again.  I felt better today than I did yesterday.  Partly that’s because it was a cooler day, but I also wasn’t noticing my Achilles tendon as much.

I made three more stops in the next three laps.  After my second lap, I took off my jacket and put it in my drop bag.  After my third lap, I made another bathroom stop.  After my fourth lap, I took the time to eat part of a brat.  They were cut into pieces, so you didn’t need to eat a whole one at once.  Despite all those stops, I was on roughly the same pace as yesterday.

For the first half of the race, I was walking up one side of the speed bump, but I was running everywhere else.  With the cool conditions, I needed to run to stay warm.

When I finished my seventh lap, I was half done.  So far, I was one minute faster than yesterday.  Before heading out for my eighth lap, I ate part of a hot dog.  That was the last time that I ate any solid food.

By now, it was finally warm enough that I could do extra walking without my hands getting cold.  I picked out another small hill that I always found to be tiring.  For the rest of the race, I walked this hill in addition to the “speed bump.”

The extra energy I had earlier faded as the race progressed.  With about five laps to go, I was feeling the cumulative fatigue of running six marathons in six days.

With three laps to go, I needed to make another bathroom stop.  Even after stopping, I was still a minute ahead of yesterday’s pace.  I knew I could afford to do more walking, but I wanted to wait until my last lap.

Yesterday, I had someone to run with in the late laps.  Today, I was on my own.  At this point, most people were walking.  Those who were still running were too fast for me.  That made it tougher to stay on pace.  In retrospect, I probably should have run a lap with an emotional support hot dog.

With two laps to go, I could no longer focus on a whole lap.  I needed to break it up into shorter segments.  First, I focused on running to the bridge.  Then I ran to the swimming hole.  Then I ran to the corner near the eastern edge of the park.  Finally, I ran the rest of the way to the turnaround.  These segments were different lengths, but none of them was much more than a quarter mile.

Coming back, I had to do the same four segments in reverse.  When I was running from the bridge back to the aid station, I passed two groups of college-age kids who were on their way to go swimming.  I didn’t think it was warm enough to go swimming, but I don’t have the metabolism of a 20-year-old.

My goal was to keep my time under six hours.  With one lap to go, I could afford to take 35 minutes.  I had time to walk most of the lap.  I walked a few more of the uphill segments, but I was mostly running.

With about half a mile left, I caught up to Sally.  She was doing a run/walk mix at a pace I found comfortable.  I ran the rest of that lap with her, finishing in 5:51:01.

I got two more pieces to add to my chain of medals.  The medal for today’s race was a loon with a hot dog, because it’s hot dog day.  I also got an extra piece that goes to anyone who did every race of the series.

This is what the whole chain looks like.  It’s too long for me to actually wear this.

As I was leaving, I almost forgot to retrieve my drop bag.  After getting back to the hotel, I realized I had left my bottle at the aid station.  Apparently, today was my day to forget things.  After washing up and changing into clean clothes, I drove back to Quarry Park to retrieve my bottle.  While I was there, I got to see a couple runners finish their marathons.

The Rueckert brothers both live in the St. Cloud area, and after the Summer Camp Series they host an annual banquet called The Loonies.  A few people had to begin their journeys home, but most of us will be partying tonight.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  5:51:01
Average Pace:  13:23 per mile
First Half:  2:52:25
Second Half:  2:58:36
Marathons/Ultras in 2026:  27
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  599
Minnesota Marathons/Ultras:  122

No comments:

Post a Comment