Thursday, August 6, 2026

Minnesota Senior Games: 5K Road Race

I’m competing in two events at the Minnesota Senior Games.  One is a road race (running) event and the other is a power walking event.  By competing in these two events at this year’s Minnesota Senior Games, I can qualify for the road race and power walk events at next year’s National Senior Games.

Next year’s National Senior Games will be held in Tulsa, OK.  I don’t know what my schedule looks like for next year, so I don’t even know if I’ll be going to Tulsa.  I wanted to qualify to keep my options open.

This year’s Minnesota Senior Games are being held in Mankato.  I drove to Mankato yesterday, so I could do my athlete check-in.  My first event was the 5K road race.

The National Senior Games have events in more than 25 different sports.  In most sports, you need to qualify by placing in the top four in your age group in any of the state Senior Games.  The road race events are an exception.  They can accommodate a large field, so you can qualify just by competing in the state games.

There are two road race events: 5K and 10K.  By competing in either of these events in Minnesota, I could qualify for both events in Tulsa.

The event schedule in Mankato had both road race events taking place at the same time, so I had to choose between the 5K and 10K.  Making matters worse, my power walking event is also today.  I chose to do the 5K road race, because running 10K would make it harder to recover in time for my power walking race.

The 5K race started at 7:30 AM at Sibley Park.  This is the same venue that was used for the 5K race four years ago, but the course was different, because of road construction.  In particular, the race started and finished in a different part of the park.  After looking at a course map, I decided to drive over there to make sure I knew where to park in the morning.

Athlete check-in started yesterday at 5:00 PM.  I made a point of getting there right when it started, so I could have an early dinner.  While I was there, I looked at the registration lists for both of my events, so I would know how many people were in my age group.  As it turns out, there was only one other person in my age group for the 5K road race.

I got to sleep early enough, but I woke up at 1 AM, and I never got back to sleep.  After four hours of resting in bed, I finally got up.

The weather was unusually cool for an August morning.  The temperature was in the upper 50s, and it didn’t warm up much by the time I finished.

I could’ve stayed in my comfort zone.  I didn’t need a fast time to qualify for Tulsa, and I was guaranteed to place in my age group, as medals go to the top three.  I chose to go all-out anyway.  It’s been a long time since I ran a 5K race, and this was a good way to evaluate my current fitness level.

There were only 36 runners, and some of them were doing the 10K race, which was two laps of the same course.  I knew there was one other runner in my age group, but I didn’t know who it was.  Mostly, I was racing the clock.

When we started running, three runners took off much faster than everyone else.  I was leading the next group.  I quickly realized I was starting too fast, so I had to ease up until my pace felt sustainable.  As I did, five or six other runners passed me.

After about a quarter mile, we left the park and turned onto residential streets.  By now, I had found my pace, and I was following the runners ahead of me, trying not to fall any farther behind.

I hit the one-mile mark in 7:55.  That’s about what I was hoping for.  The question now was whether I could sustain that pace for the rest of the race.

In the second mile, we turned onto a paved trail that follows the river bluff.  There were a couple of small hills.  The first hill slowed me down, but I was keeping pace with the runner ahead of me.  After the hill, I quickly got back up to my previous pace.

On the next hill, I also slowed a little, but I started to gain ground on the runner ahead of me.  After that hill, I passed him.  Then I tried to keep pace with another runner who was farther ahead.  At this point, he was the only runner I could still see.

My time for the second mile was 8:12.  That was a little disappointing, but not surprising.  I knew those hills slowed me down.

As I began the third mile, I reached a turnaround.  Going out, we were on the trail, but coming back, we were on the road.  I could see that I would have to run up a hill right after making the turn.  I passed the next runner as I started up that hill.

I fought hard to keep up my pace on that hill, thinking it was the last hill on the course.  When I reached the top, I saw that there was still one more hill.  That was disheartening.

That last hill really tested me.  I fought up this one as well, but I didn’t have much left in the tank.  As I got back onto residential streets to head back to the park, I was struggling to keep up my pace.

I was almost to the park, when I saw the leader of the 10K race going out on his second lap.  After entering the park, I saw my time for mile three.  It was 8:07.  I was pleased to see that it was a little better than my second mile.  I knew what I had left.  There was one more turn, so I still couldn’t see the finish line.  It seemed like it was a lot more than a tenth of a mile.

I finished in 26:18.  Officially, the course was 5 kilometers, but my watch read 3.26 miles.  I don't generally trust GPS measurements, but after talking to other runners, the consensus was that the course was a little bit long.  Going by the official distance, my average pace was 8:28.  According to my watch, my average pace was 8:04.  That's more encouraging.

I had to wait for everyone else to finish before they did the awards ceremony.  It was only then that I found out I won my age group.  For that, I got a gold medal.

My next race is the one-mile power-walking event this afternoon.  It starts at 2 PM, so I need to recover quickly.


Race statistics:
Distance:  5 kilometers
Time:  26:18
Average Pace:  8:28 per mile
Place in Age Group:  1st

No comments:

Post a Comment