Sunday, October 4, 2026

Race Report: 2026 Twin Cities Marathon

On October 4th, I ran the Twin Cities Marathon.  This was the 17th time I’ve run this race.  It starts in downtown Minneapolis, and the finish is in front of the state capitol in St. Paul.

Last year, this race was a reunion for the 50Sub4 Marathon Club.  I knew I wouldn’t have time to go home before going to our post-race gathering, so I spent the night in a downtown St. Paul hotel, so I could shower after the race.

Before last year, I always parked in a lot near the capitol that had event parking on race day.  That property has had a change in ownership, so I didn’t know if I could park there this year.  With that in mind, I considered staying in a downtown hotel again.

The hotel I stayed at last year was in a really convenient location, but when I checked for availability, they were sold out.  There were other downtown hotels with rooms available, but there were either too expensive or had a two-night minimum.

I checked again on Thursday, and a room had opened up at the downtown Doubletree.  Surprisingly, it wasn’t too expensive, and I could get a late checkout.  With that in mind, I made a last-minute reservation to stay there again this year.

The expo was at RiverCentre in downtown St. Paul.  After checking in at my hotel, I walked over to RiverCentre to pick up my race packet.  I like the design on the race T-shirt.

While I was at the expo, I saw a few local runners I know.  I also stopped by the booth for the pace team, to see which pace groups would be starting in my corral.

As usual, I went to Cossetta’s for my pre-race dinner.  This year, the Minnesota Wild had a home game on Saturday.  On game days, Cossetta’s gets really busy before the game.  The line for ordering pasta was insanely long, but the line for pizza wasn’t too bad.

I went to bed early, but I only slept for about four hours.  Then I woke up and couldn’t get back to sleep.  I eventually nodded off again, but woke up from a bad dream.  After that I never got back to sleep again.  I didn’t worry too much about the lack of sleep.  I had the same experience last year, and I had a good race.

Staying downtown meant I didn’t have to get up as early, and I didn’t need to worry about finding a place to park.  My car was already in the ramp connected to my hotel.  I just needed to walk over to the Intercontinental, where I could catch a bus to the start.

I could board a bus anytime between 5:00 and 6:45.  The earlier buses are mostly for people running the 10-mile race, which starts an hour before the marathon.  I waited until 6:00 before leaving my hotel to walk over to the Intercontinental.

I got dropped off in the start area about 90 minutes before the marathon started, so I had a long time to sit around.  The temperature was about 50 degrees, but it would warm up to 60 by the time I finished the race.  To stay warm in the start area, I wore a pair of wind pants that I was willing to discard and a Tyvek jacket that I could tie around my waist.  There was a gear check in the start area, but I didn’t want to have to take the time to retrieve a gear bag after the race.

The start corrals are next to the football stadium.  Outside the stadium, there’s a mock-up of a Viking ship.  I discovered two years ago that there are benches inside the “ship.”  It’s the only place I know where you sit down and be somewhat sheltered from the wind.  I sat there until it was time to get into a bathroom line.

Before the race, I wasn’t sure what my goal should be.  I had two goals in mind.  The more ambitious goal was 4:05, which would give me a Boston qualifier.  This was my first opportunity to qualify for 2028, and this is a relatively flat course.   Qualifying today would be ideal, but I had serious doubts about whether I was in good enough shape to run that fast.

The more conservative goal was to simply make progress.  My fastest recent time was 4:22:53 in August at Humpy’s Marathon in Alaska. I was pretty confident I’m in better shape than I was in August.  At a minimum, I wanted to beat that time.

They had pace groups for 4:05, 4:10, 4:15, and 4:20, but those groups were all starting in corral two.  I was assigned to corral one.  I could have moved back, but starting later would mean finishing later, and I worried about having time to get back to my hotel after the race.  I chose to start in corral one and be on my own to find the right pace.

There was a half marathon that started 20 minutes before the marathon.  Their start corral was in front of the marathon corrals.  After the half marathon started, I saw runners in corral one moving forward into the half marathon corral.  I was still in a bathroom line.

Ideally, I wanted to line up at the back of corral one, but I was no longer sure where that was.  I thought everyone from corral one had moved into the half marathon corral, so I lined up near the back of that corral.  In retrospect, I think only about half of the runners moved forward.  As a result, I lined up farther forward than I intended.

It was tough to gauge my pace in the first mile.  People around me were going different paces.  At times, I felt like I might be going too fast, so I eased up a bit.  I didn’t know my pace until I finished the first mile.

For my more ambitious goal of 4:05, I needed an average pace of 9:21 per mile.  I ran the first mile in 8:39, which was obviously too fast.

In the next mile, I wanted to slow down, but that was easier said than done.  It was still somewhat crowded, so the path of least resistance was to go at the same pace as the people around me.  They were all going fast, so I was still getting pulled along at a faster pace than I wanted.

After turning onto Lyndale and running past the sculpture garden, we started up a small hill in front of the Walker Art Center.  Here, I finally unhitched myself from the people around me and eased up to a pace that wouldn’t be too tiring going up the hill.

When I finished mile two, I saw that I had slowed somewhat, but I was still going about 20 seconds faster than my target pace.  At this point, I had chosen 4:05 as my goal.

In mile three, everybody was passing me.  That led me to believe I had slowed down.  In fact, I sped up.  Mile three was faster than either of the previous miles.  After only three miles, I was already almost two minutes ahead of a Boston-qualifying pace.

The next four miles were going south past the chain of lakes.  This is my favorite part of the course.  It has nice scenery and great crowd support.  Here, I settled into a pace that was still a little fast, but not crazy fast.  My pace was also more consistent here.  For the next six miles, my pace was between 9:01 and 9:06.

The last of those lakes was Lake Harriet.  I was coming around the east side of the lake when I noticed an aid station on the left side of the street.  I was all the way to the right.  Crossing the street without bumping into other runners was difficult.  I had to stop for several seconds.  Despite that, my pace in that mile was the same as the previous mile.  After that, I always looked for the blue banners at the aid stations, so I would know which side of the street I should be on.

After leaving the lakes, we turned onto Minnehaha Parkway.  The first two miles along the parkway are rolling.  Despite running up and down a few hills, I still kept a consistent pace.

By now, I had been passed by two different pace groups.  Both of them had target times of 3:50.  Then I heard people in the crowd cheering for a 3:55 group.  They passed me on one of the hills.  After passing me, they didn’t pull away from me as quickly as the 3:50 groups did.

As I was approaching 10 miles, I asked myself how I was feeling.  Despite my faster than expected pace, I felt OK.  I didn’t feel like this pace was going to wear me down.

When I saw my split for mile 10, it was almost 20 seconds faster than the previous mile.  It’s possible that I was influenced by the pace group that recently passed me.  For a long time, I was staying pretty close to them.  In the next mile, I eased up.

Just before the 11-mile mark, we left the parkway to turn onto Cedar Avenue, and we began a loop around Lake Nokomis.  Lake Nokomis used to be the race venue for the FANS 24-Hour Race, so I always feel at home there.  I’ve run hundreds of miles around this lake.

The halfway point was on the east side of Lake Nokomis.  When I got there, I was almost four minutes ahead of schedule for a 4:05 finish.  That gave me room to slow down in the second half, if necessary.

By now, my pace was taking more effort.  With only half of the race to go, however, I was more willing to put in the extra effort.  I was gaining in confidence that I really was in good enough shape to sustain this pace.

All of the aid stations had water and Nuun.  The one just past halfway also had pickle juice.  It doesn’t taste great, but it’s an easy way to make sure you’re getting enough salt.

After running around Lake Nokomis, we got back onto the Minnehaha Parkway.  I had room to slow down in the second half of the race, but for now, I wanted to keep running at the same pace.  There’s a tough uphill section from 20 to 23.  If I was going to give time back, I wanted to do it there.

Somewhere around 14 miles, a runner on my left recognized a friend in the crowd and turned to run over to them.  When he realized he was going to run into me, he grabbed me to keep me from falling.  The next few seconds were surreal.  I never left my feet, but I felt like I was suspended in mid-air.  He apologized, and I quickly got back into the same rhythm as before.

In mile 15, I inadvertently sped up again.  I had been keeping my pace close to nine minutes, but suddenly I ran a mile in 8:43.  The fact that I could do that without trying was a good sign that I wasn’t close to running out of gas.

After running through Minnehaha Park, we turned onto the West River Parkway, which follows the west bank of the Mississippi.  My goal for the next five miles was to keep up the same average pace until the 20-mile mark.  Then I could slow down as much as necessary on the uphill section between 20 and 23.

I was at roughly 16 miles, when I saw someone in the crowd holding up a sign with an elevation chart.  It had a “you are here” arrow.  At the time, I thought his chart grossly exaggerated the uphill section later in the race.  In fact, it was pretty accurate.  It looked just like the elevation chart created by my watch.

A short time later, I saw another spectator who was handing out small bottles of Fireball.  I’ve sometimes indulged in beer, Fireball, or other adult drinks during a race, but not today.  I wasn’t going to do anything that might jeopardize my chances of breaking 4:05.

The West River Parkway is mostly flat, but there are two noticeable hills.  The first one is where you come back uphill after crossing under the Lake Street Bridge.  The second one is a mile later, when we had to go up a ramp to get up to the Franklin Avenue Bridge.  When I reached that ramp, I just followed the runners ahead of me.  I didn’t worry if the hill slowed me down, although I don’t think it did.

After crossing the river on the Franklin bridge, we turned onto the East River Road.  I had one more relatively easy mile before reaching the uphill section I had been anticipating.

When I reached the 20-mile banners, I did a time check.  To break 4:05, I just needed to run the last 10K in 64 minutes.  I could afford to slow down to a 10-minute pace, not just on the uphill section, but for the rest of the race.  Now I wondered if I could break four hours.

Mile 21 wasn’t all uphill.  There were a couple short hills, but there were flat sections in between.  I didn’t slow down at all in that mile.

Early in mile 22, we turned left and ran up a long gradual hill that took us away from the river and up to the University of St. Thomas.

As I rounded the corner to begin this hill, I saw some children handing out small cups of water.  I think they were in front of their own house.  I could have used a drink of water, but I didn’t want to slow down as I was starting up a hill.

I saw a lot of people walking on this hill.  I ran the whole thing, but I wasn’t keeping up with other runners who were running the whole thing.  For the first time, I noticed soreness in my quads.

After reaching the top of that hill, we turned onto Cretin Avenue for one block before turning left onto Summit Avenue.  I heard multiple people in the crown cheering, “Go, Banana!”  Sure enough, a guy in a banana suit ran by me.  I was still too fatigued from the hill to keep up with him.

When I turned onto Summit Avenue, I could tell immediately that it was uphill.  I couldn’t see the 22 banners yet, and I knew this hill continued through mile 23.

My time for mile 22 was 9:20.  That was my slowest mile so far, but even that mile was fast enough for a Boston qualifier.  I wasn’t giving any time back yet.

That changed in the next mile.  Mile 23 was all uphill, and my quads were already fatigued from the previous two miles.  Despite my best efforts, I slowed to 9:33 in that mile.

After finally cresting the hill, I wanted to pick up my pace, but first I had to recover from those three uphill miles.  They took a cumulative toll on me.  I had heavy legs for the rest of the race.

Since crossing the river, we had been following the same route as the 10-mile race.  In addition to our mile markers, I was seeing theirs.  When I saw the “7” banner, I knew I had exactly three miles to go.  I did another time check.  At this point, breaking 4:05 was in the bag.  The only question was whether I would break four hours.  That was my goal from this point on.

In the next mile, I managed to pick up my pace.  It wasn’t as fast as the first 20 miles, but it was fast enough that it was now obvious that I would break four hours.  That didn’t mean it would be easy.  The last two miles were one continuous gut check.

I kept up a similar pace in mile 25, even though there are a couple of small hills there.  Mile 26 is all either downhill or flat, but I was running out of gas.  I slowed to 9:32 in that mile.

Just before 26, we ran by St. Paul’s Cathedral.  They were ringing the church bells for us.

I had my phone with me, but up until now, I hadn’t taken any pictures.  I didn’t want to lose any time.  Once I knew I could stop to take a picture and still break four hours, I decided to take a picture of the finish, which is in front of the state capitol.  This is my favorite finish line approach of any marathon I’ve done.

The approach to the finish is downhill.  Everyone else was sprinting down that hill.  I couldn’t speed up at all, so everyone was passing me.  That’s OK.  I finished in 3:58:59.  That was beyond my wildest expectation.

As usual, the finisher medal includes a leaf.  I can remember when leaves were in peak color during this race.  In recent years, the leaves have been turning color later in the month.  Next year, the race will be a week later.  If they want peak colors, they should probably make it two weeks later.

Not checking a gear bag saved me time after the race.  I needed to check out from my hotel by 2:00, and it was already noon, so I didn’t want to waste any time.  I grabbed post-race snacks that I could easily eat while walking to my hotel.  I had to walk about a mile to get there.

I got back to my room by 12:30.  I easily had time to take a bath and do some post-race stretches before changing into clean clothes, packing up, and checking out.

Four months ago, I couldn’t walk up a flight of stairs without getting out of breath, and I was frustrated with my slow race times.  At the time, I wondered if my days of qualifying for Boston were over.  After three months of taking an iron supplement, I feel like I’ve made a full recovery.  I’m already registered for the 2027 Boston Marathon, and I’m now qualified for 2028.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  3:58:59
Average Pace:  9:04 per mile
First Half:  1:58:37
Second Half:  2:00:22
Marathons/Ultras in 2026:  37
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  609
Boston Qualifiers in 2026:  6
Lifetime Boston Qualifiers:  193
Minnesota Marathons/Ultras:  124

No comments:

Post a Comment