Monday, October 14, 2019

Race Report: 2019 Chicago Marathon


On October 13, I ran the Chicago Marathon.  This is one of the premier marathons in the world.  It’s closer to home than most of the other large marathons, so the travel is relatively easy.  There’s one other reason, however, why I went back this year.  I love pizza, and Chicago-style pizza is my favorite.  I went back to Chicago as much for the pizza as for the marathon.

I didn’t fly to Chicago until Saturday, but I made a point of booking a morning flight, so I could arrive before lunch.  That gave me one more opportunity to have pizza.  I flew into Midway airport and took an orange line train into the city.  My flight was delayed about 30 minutes, so I had lunch before going to my hotel.

I made a point of putting on a jacket before leaving the train station, but I didn’t take the Time to put on a hat and gloves. I regretted that as I walked to lunch.  The wind was much colder than I expected.  On my way to lunch, I had a nice view of the Willis Tower.


Chicago style pizza is my favorite.  I’ve already been to several of the popular restaurants, such as Giordano’s, Lou Malnati’s and Gino’s East.  I wanted to try someplace new, so I went to The Art of Pizza on State Street.  I didn’t want to eat a whole pie, and they save several varieties of pizza available by the slice.  I had a slice of their Art’s Special stuffed pizza.

After lunch I continued to my hotel.  I stayed at the Palmer House, which is only two blocks from Grant Park, where the marathon starts and finishes.  It’s an expensive hotel, and on race weekend, it’s almost twice as expensive.  Normally, it would be out of my price range, but I was able to get two free nights using Hilton points.

After checking in, I walked over to the Hilton and got in line to board a bus to the expo.  As usual, it was held at McCormick Place.  I heard horror stories about long lines to get in on Friday, but on Saturday afternoon, it wasn’t bad.  I picked up my race packet and then visited a few of the booths.

When I was done at the expo, I had to wait in a long line to board a bus to get back to the Hilton.  I went back at the Palmer House and organized my clothes for the race.

I wanted to go for a stroll through Grant Park, but most of the park was already fenced off for the race.  That’s really not too surprising.  It would be quite an undertaking to set up the start/finish area and all the security checkpoints overnight.  Still, I thought I went sightseeing in the park last year.  Maybe it was earlier in the day

For dinner, I went to Pizano’s Pizza & Pasta. There’s no shortage of restaurants with deep dish pizza, but most of them were insanely busy.  I didn’t want to have to wait an hour just to get a table and then wait another hour for my food.  I chose this restaurant, because I knew I could probably find a seat at the bar.  When I got there, there were people waiting outside.  There were even more people waiting inside.  I walked over to the bar and found a seat.  A few minutes later, I was ordering my pizza.


After dinner, I went to Stan’s Donuts to pick up something for my pre-race breakfast.  When I got back to the Palmer House, I asked for a coffee maker, so I could make tea in the morning.  They don’t automatically put them in every room.  Most people just go to the Starbucks on the ground floor.  You can get a coffee maker in your room, but you have to ask for one.

I went to bed early, but it took a long time to get to sleep.  I woke up feeling hot and had trouble getting back to sleep.  That often happens after a big dinner.  I didn’t get as much sleep as I wanted, but I felt OK.  I got enough sleep to get by.

Sunday morning, the temperature was in the low 40s, but with the wind, it felt like 30s.  It wasn’t going to warm up much during the race, so I wore tights, short sleeves, gloves, and a warm hat.  I went with the same cheetah ensemble I wore for the Beer Lovers’ Marathon.  I also had wind pants and a Tyvek jacket as warm-up layers.

The race started at 7:30, but they recommend getting to Grant Park at 5:30.  In 2016, I left the Palmer House at 6:45, and had no trouble getting to my corral on time.  Last year, I was staying at the Hilton, which is also close to the start.  I again left at 6:45, but this time, the security checkpoint was so congested that it took 25 minutes to get through.  After that, I only had seven minutes to get into my start corral, and I couldn’t make a bathroom stop.  Not knowing what to expect this year, I planned on leaving earlier.

I set my alarm for 4:45, so I could be ready to leave by 5:45.  Arriving early really makes a difference.  Not only did I breeze through the security checkpoint, but there wasn’t anybody in line for the port-o-potties.

The race was divided into three waves.  Each wave had its own gear check area.  The gear check for my wave was on the east side of Buckingham fountain.  I made my way to the fountain, but it was much too early to discard my warm-up clothes.  I still had 90 minutes before the start of the race.  There were some benches near the fountain, so I found a place to sit, and I waited.  To make sure I wouldn’t get cold, I wrapped myself in a space blanket.

In a large race like this, it’s always tough to decide when to get in line for your last bathroom stop.  I wanted to wait long enough that I wouldn’t need another bathroom stop before the race.  The longer you wait, however, the longer the lines get.  I needed to guess how long it would take to get through the bathroom line, how long it would take to check my gear bag, and how long it would take to get into my start corral.  They close the corrals 10 minutes before the start of each wave.  If you’re not in your corral by then, you have to line up in the back.  I think I timed it just right.  By the time I was done in the port-o-potty, I had 30 minutes to check my bag and get to my corral.  That was plenty of time.

In my previous two races, I was able to qualify for Boston.  I wanted to see if I could qualify three weeks in a row.  To do that, I just needed to break 3:35, but I was fairly confident I could run faster.  I could see myself running anything from 3:25 to 3:35.  There was a 3:30 pace group in my corral.  I was originally planning to start the race with them, but then I noticed there was also a 3:25 group in my corral.  I made a last-minute decision to start with them instead.  It was an aggressive pace, but I wanted to see what I could do.

I bumped into my friend Cade in the start corral.  In recent years, he’s generally been faster than me, but he’s had injuries.  We both lined up near the front of the corral, but neither of us knew how fast we would run.

As each corral started, the corrals behind them moved forward.  The first time we moved forward, I got my feet tangled in a plastic bag that was discarded by one of the runners in front of me.  I fell forward and had to grab the waist of the runner in front of me to keep from falling.  I apologized, but couldn’t get my feet untangled until we came to a stop.  After that, I payed more attention to the ground in front of me.

When it was time for our corral to start, I started fast and kept my eye on the 3:25 pace leaders.  There were several other people between us, so I had to work hard to keep from falling farther behind.  The road split, and I had to decide which way to go.  The 3:25 group kept to the right of the median.  I went left.  That made it harder to see where they were, but gave me more room to try to catch them.  In the first half mile, I was already finding the pace to be tiring.

When the two sides merged again, I moved over and got right alongside the pace group.  Now that I was no longer working to catch up to them, the pace felt more manageable.

There are several sharp turns in the first few miles.  Before the first turn, I sped up enough to get in front of the 3:25 group.  I could no longer see them, but it was less crowded in front of them.  It’s tough to stay with a group when you’re following them around corners in a crowded race.

Aid stations came frequently.  I think they were about two kilometers apart on average.  I skipped the first one to avoid the congestion.  After that, I drank at only two thirds of the aid stations.  I wasn’t sweating that much, so I didn’t need to be drinking constantly.

The aid station volunteers at this race seem to really know what they’re doing.  They know just how much to put in the cups and how to hand them to the runners.  I was consistently able to grab a cup without spilling and drink the Gatorade without stopping or slowing down.

Because I was in front of the 3:25 group, I had to pay attention to my own pace.  At two miles, I checked my watch.  I was going a little too fast, so I eased up a bit.  For the first three or four miles, I could see Cade a short distance ahead of me.  I was tempted to catch up to him, but I was already worried that I might be going too fast.

By the time we reached the three mile mark, we were done with the early turns and were on a long stretch headed north.  On some sections, the street was divided.  I didn’t know which side of the street the 3:25 group was on.  If they were on the other side, they could pass me without my realizing it.  I kept looking across the street to see if they were there.

At about four miles, I saw the 3:25 group just behind me on the opposite side of the street.  The next time we reached an intersection, I crossed over to their side.  I was still in front of them, but now I would know if they caught up to me.

Over the next few miles, I sped up again.  To finish in 3:25, I needed to average 7:48 per mile.  I was consistently running faster than that.  On some miles, I was as much as six seconds faster.

After about seven miles, we reached the northernmost part of the course.  After two sharp turns we began running south again, back toward downtown.  As soon as I made the second turn, I felt a headwind.  I was on the left side of the street where I was exposed to the wind.  I moved to the middle of the street, so there would be more people in front of me to block the wind.

Whenever I tried to settle in behind a group of runners, I found they were going too slow for me.  I’d go around them, and then I’d be exposed to the wind again.  I was getting farther ahead of the 3:25 group and eventually decided I was going to run most of this race at my own pace.

By about 10 miles, I could see that we were running toward the downtown buildings.  Up until this point, I wasn’t paying much attention to my surroundings.  When I wasn’t navigating around other runners, I was watching my footing.

We occasionally crossed bridges over the river.  Some of the bridge surfaces were an uncomfortable steel grate.  They usually had carpet covering at least one side of the bridge to give us the opportunity to run on a more comfortable surface.

By the time I reached downtown again, I was halfway through the race.  I reached the halfway mark in 1:41:26.  I was on pace for 3:23.  At this point, I was expecting to run positive splits.  I was just hoping I could hold on to finish in 3:25.

As we left downtown again, we headed west.  I still felt a headwind.  If anything, it was stronger.  The wind was actually out of the southwest, so I felt a headwind whether we were running south or west.  I worked to keep up the pace, but sometimes had miles as slow as 7:51.

The crowds at 15 miles were particularly loud.  Their cheering helped me to keep up my effort at a time when the wind was starting to wear me down.  After two miles running west, we made two turns and headed back toward downtown.  Now I had the wind at my back.  Going into the wind, I couldn’t quite maintain my pace, but now I was able to pick up the pace again.  Now I was running directly toward the Willis Tower.

For the next several miles, the course snaked back and forth.  My pace was a little bit erratic.  Going into the wind, I would slow down by a few seconds.  When the wind was at my back, I would speed up enough to make up the time.  At one of the aid stations, an announcer said, “If you’re having fun, you’re not doing it right.”  A second or two later, I ran right in front of him and said, “I’m not doing it right.”  I was enjoying the day, and that helped me keep up my effort during the sections that were into the wind.

In the second half of the race, we ran through several ethnic neighborhoods.  I somehow ran through Greektown and Little Italy without really noticing.  At 19 miles, I reached a predominantly Mexican neighborhood.  Here, I heard music and saw lots of Mexican flags.  When the crowd saw a runner from Mexico, they went crazy.

I got to run two more miles with the wind mostly at my back before crossing a bridge over the river.  This is a very flat course.  The only hills are bridges, and most of those are fairly flat too.  This bridge was a slight hill, but I knew when I got across the river, I would enter Chinatown.  Chinatown is my favorite neighborhood.  It’s easily the most recognizable neighborhood and it’s another place where the crowds really turn out.

The course took us south for two more miles.  Finally, at 23 miles, we reached the southernmost point on the course.  As I turned the corner, I saw a beer stop.  I was committed to running a fast time, so I skipped it.  After a few more blocks, I turned again to head north.  For the rest of the race, I would have the wind at my back.  Knowing that, I picked up my effort.

The next mile was my fastest of the race.  I knew I was picking up the pace, but I was still surprised to see that I ran that one in 7:08.  At 24 miles, I realized that breaking 3:25 was no longer my goal.  That was in the bag.  I was still on pace to break 3:23.  With a strong finish, I could run negative splits.

Mile 25 was disappointingly slow.  I was no longer sure if I would run negative splits.  The Chicago Marathon is one of the few races I knew that has a sign at one mile to go.  That gave me another chance to check my pace.  At that point it was obvious.  I was going to run negative splits.

I poured it on running north on Michigan Avenue.  I saw a sign for 800 meters to go.  That’s like two laps around a track.  Soon, I could see the runners ahead of me making the right turn at the southwest corner of Grant Park.

In some of my recent training runs, I tried to visualize the last mile of this race.  I imagined myself on pace for a fast time, but needing to fight for it in the last mile.  I knew the hardest part would be right after the turn.

On the south end of Grant Park, we had to go up a ramp to cross a bridge over some railroad tracks.  As I came around the corner, I saw the ramp.  I also saw the 400 meters to go sign.  Just beyond it, I saw the 26 mile sign.  Knowing how close I was, I was able to maintain my pace going up the ramp.

Right after the bridge, there’s a left turn where we enter Grant Park.  From there, you can see the finish line.  It’s only about 200 meters to go.  I kept up my effort and finished in 3:21:48.

This race exceeded my wildest expectations.  I thought 3:25 was an ambitious goal, but I ran three minutes faster than that.  I ran negative splits by more than a minute.  It was my second fastest race since 2014.  The only one that was faster was on a downhill course.

I qualified for Boston in three consecutive races for the first time since April of 2015.  I did it on three consecutive weekends for the first time since November of 2014.  Finally, after lots of ups and downs, I feel like I’m the same runner I was five years ago.  I didn’t think I would ever get back to this point.


After getting my finisher medal, I got a much needed space blanket.  Now that I was no longer running, I would get cold quickly.  As I continued through the finisher chute, I skipped the water and Gatorade, but ate a banana, and picked up a snack bag with a variety of post-race snacks.

I made my way to Buckingham Fountain and retrieved my gear bag.  With difficult, I untied it and put on my warm-up clothes.  Then I made my way to the post-race party area and had my free post-race beer.  While I was there, I learned that the top woman, Brigid Kosgei, set a new world record, shattering the mark set 16 years ago by Paula Radcliffe.  This was one day after Eliud Kipchoge broke two hours in a highly publicized time trial.  It was an exciting weekend.

It wasn’t as cold in Grant Park as I thought it would be.  It was sunny, and I didn’t feel the wind as much there.  It helped that it wasn’t coming off the lake.  I finished my beer and ate about half of the post-race snacks.  Then I walked back to the Palmer House to take hot bath and change into clean clothes.

Later in the day, I went to a post-race party at my friend Eliot’s house.  This was Eliot’s 100th marathon.  He had to take four weeks off from running to recover from an injury, so he didn’t know how the race would go.  He finished in less than four hours, despite the lack of training.

Eliot and I have a lot of friends in common.  At the party, I saw about a dozen friends.  I also met several other runners.  We had a variety of food and beer, including deep dish pizza from Lou Malnati’s.

The nearest train station was several blocks away, so I had to do a fair amount of walking to get to and from the train station.  I didn’t have any sore muscles.  I didn’t feel like you’re supposed to feel after an all-out marathon.  It felt like it was just another day.

Sunday night I slept better.  I still had some of my post-race snacks, so I ate them for breakfast.  Walking though the airport, I still didn’t feel any stiffness or soreness in my legs.

My flight home wasn’t until noon, so I had lunch at the airport.  The pizza you can get at the airport is disappointing compared to what you can get in the city.  Maybe I should have booked a later flight, so I could eat at Lou Malnati’s.


Race Statistics
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  3:21:48
Average Pace:  7:42 
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  388
World Marathon Majors:  19
Boston Qualifiers:  128

No comments:

Post a Comment