Friday, January 29, 2021

I Have 17 More BQs Than I Thought

One of my signature accomplishments as a runner is qualifying for the Boston Marathon in all 50 states.  Qualifying for Boston has always been a standard of excellence, so it’s something I often shoot for, even if I already have a qualifying time that will get me into the race.

At the end of my race reports, I usually list a few statistics.  In my most recent race report, I indicated I had qualified for Boston in 131 races.  I was wrong.  I’ve actually qualified in 148 races.  How could I be off my so much?  To understand that, you need to understand the subtle details of qualifying.

To qualify for the Boston Marathon, you need to finish a marathon within a certain time.  How fast you need to run it depends on your age and gender.  For runners who are over 35, they have different qualifying times for each 5-year age group, but it’s not based on your age on the day you run your qualifying race.  It’s based on how old you’ll be on the day of the Boston Marathon.

Each Boston Marathon has a qualifying period.  It generally starts about one year before registration will open and continues until registration closes.  For example, the registration period for the 2020 Boston Marathon started on September 15, 2018 and continued until the race filled, roughly one year later.

Because of COVID-19, the 2020 Boston Marathon was initially postponed from April until September, and was later cancelled.  Getting into the Boston Marathon isn’t easy.  Some runners get in by running qualifying times.  Others get in by raising money for a charity.  A limited number of foreign entrants can get into the race by buying a travel package from an international tour operator.

Whether you spent years training hard to qualify or raised thousands of dollars of donations, it’s a big commitment.  Naturally, when the race was cancelled, the runners who were signed up hoped that they would get guaranteed entry into the 2021 race.  Unfortunately, the Boston Athletic Association wasn’t in any position to do that.  They couldn’t know for sure if they would be able to accommodate the same number of runners.  There’s a limit to how many runners you can fit on the narrow two-lane road leading out of Hopkinton, and there’s a limit to how long the various cities and towns along the route will tolerate having the roads closed.  During a pandemic, they might insist on a smaller race.

The BAA gave refunds to everyone who was signed up for 2020 and said the runners who ran qualifying times would be able to use those same qualifying times to register for the 2021 race.  The easiest way to do that was to extend the qualifying period for the 2021 race.  Ordinarily, it would’ve started on September 14, 2019.  Instead, it started on September 15, 2018, which is the same day qualifying for the 2020 race started.  By adding a year to the qualifying period, they effectively allowed people who had already qualified to use those qualifying times again.

The Boston Marathon is normally held on the third Monday in April.  Last September, when registration for 2021 would normally have started, it wasn’t clear if that would be possible.  The BAA postponed registration for 2021.  Later in the year, they announced that the race wouldn’t be held in April.  They promised a follow-up announcement when they chose a new date.  Finally, in January, the made this announcement:


They also made a subtle change to the page on their website that explains how to qualify.  Until a few days ago, it said your age group was based on your age on April 19, 2021.  Now, it says your age group is based on your age on October 11, 2021.  The rule didn’t change.  It’s still based on your age on the day of the race, but that date changed.


As it happens, I’ll be 59 years old on April 19, but I’ll be 60 years old on October 11.  The change in the race date cause me to move into a new age group.  That means instead of needing a time of 3:35 or better to qualify, I just need a time of 3:50 or better.

I’ve kept track of my race results for every marathon or ultramarathon I’ve ever finished.  One thing I keep track of is whether I qualified for Boston in that race.  The qualifying rules have changed many times over the years.  If I say I qualified for Boston, I mean I met the qualifying standards that were in place at the time.  There are lots of races where I beat the qualifying time, but for other reasons it wasn’t a qualifying race.  I don’t count races that didn’t have certified courses, since I couldn’t actually qualify in those races, regardless of how fast I ran.  Likewise, I don’t count races that don’t report race results to the BAA.  There’s also a rule that seems odd to me.  You can’t qualify for Boston in an indoor marathon.

While the qualifying rules can change from year to year, I can’t think of any other cases where they have changed retroactively.  Usually, when you line up for a race, you know if it’s a qualifying race, and you know exactly how fast you need to run to qualify.  Until this year.

Registration for the 2021 Boston Marathon hasn’t started yet.  When it does, I can register using my race result from any race on or after September 15, 2018.  During that span, I ran 75 marathons (excluding ultras).  Excluding races that weren’t qualifying events, there were 17 races where I ran times between 3:35 and 3:50.  At the time I ran them, I didn’t I was fast enough to qualify.  Because I moved into a different age group, I actually did run fast enough to qualify.  Here are my 17 new Boston Qualifiers:

2018 Chicago Marathon (3:47:05)

2018 New York City Marathon (3:48:44)

2019 Surf City Marathon (3:48:02)

2019 Hong Kong Marathon (3:45:17)

2019 Little Rock Marathon (3:43:38)

2019 Carmel Marathon (3:45:09)

2019 Boston Marathon (3:39:20)

2019 Fargo Marathon (3:42:37)

2019 Pocatello Marathon (3:37:38)

2019 Savage Seven, Day 2 (3:46:47)

2019 Savage Seven, Day 3 (3:48:34)

2019 Savage Seven, Day 4 (3:49:33)

2019 Savage Seven, Day 5 (3:46:54)

2020 Surf City Marathon (3:35:28)

2020 Atlanta Marathon (3:41:15)

2020 Xenia Avenue Marathon (3:46:00)

2020 Millennium Meadows Marathon (3:42:27)

In some of these races I was trying to qualify, thinking I needed 3:35, and I was disappointed that I couldn’t do it.  In others, I knew I wouldn’t break 3:35, but I still did the best I could.  That effort made a difference.  I’m tickled pick to know that I qualified for Boston four days in a row at the Savage Seven.  My goal at the time was to break four hours each day, but I put in just enough extra effort that I ended up breaking 3:50.

It's worth noting that there were also races where I would have qualified even if I was still in the 55-59 age group.  When registration for 2021 eventually opens, I'll use my fastest qualifying time, which would've been a BQ anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment