Thursday, August 5, 2021

Race Report: Alaska Series, Day 3

On August 5, I race-walked the third race of the Alaska Series.  Today’s race was at a different venue than the first two races.  Our course was a paved trail at Twin Lakes.  The Twin Lakes are two narrow lakes just north of Salmon Creek. They’re right next to the highway that runs between downtown Juneau and the Mendenhall Valley.

The trail followed the eastern shore of both lakes.  We started at the south end of one lake, went all the way past that lake, and about half the length of the next lake.  Then we turned around and went back.  We needed to do 14 laps for a marathon.


Yesterday, I ran most of the race.  I ran more than I planned, and way more than I probably should have.  Immediately after yesterday’s race, my knee felt OK.  A few hours later, my knee started to feel stiff.  I iced it after the race and again in the evening, but I knew I shouldn’t do any running today.

Yesterday, I forgot to pack a rain poncho.  I had to compensate for my lack of rain gear by wearing clothes that were warm and didn’t soak up too much water.  Today, I remembered the rain poncho.  I actually packed it last night, so I wouldn’t forget.

When I looked at the forecast last night, it seemed likely it would rain for the entire race.  When I checked again this morning, the forecast was slightly more optimistic.  It was still going to rain, but it might clear up a couple hours after the race started.

As I was getting dressed, I checked my weather app, and it said it was currently cloudy.  I was surprised it wasn’t raining.  This is when the probability of rain was the highest.  I wondered if we would get lucky and it wouldn’t rain after all.

My hopes were dashed as soon as I stepped outside.  It was raining.  It might not rain for the whole race, but we were going to have a wet start.  No matter what happened after that, I would have wet shoes for the entire race.

My goal today was to finish in less than six hours.  Ideally, I wanted to break 5:47, which is my slowest time for walking a marathon.  It wasn’t necessary to go any faster.

When I got to the start, I was pleased to see that the aid station was inside a small shelter.  Our drop bag area was a set of picnic tables that was also covered.


Before the start, my right knee still felt stiff.  I flexed my knee several times to loosen it up, but it didn’t seem to help.  I wondered how it would feel when I started walking.  Thankfully, it didn’t bother me at all when I started walking.  It actually felt much better when I was moving.

I expected my walking to be slow and sluggish.  This is the first time I’ve ever race-walked a marathon after doing a marathon the day before.  It took about a minute to get into my rhythm, but then it felt surprisingly easy.

About half a mile into the first lap, I happened to glance at my watch.  It wasn’t running.  I remembered pressing the start button, but I was wearing gloves.  I must not have made a firm contact.  At this point, the best thing I could do was to start it at the end of my first lap, and track my lap times from that point on.

When I finished my first lap, I asked Daniel how much time had elapsed.  He said I did the first lap in 23:02.  I immediately started my watch and set out on my second lap.

That first lap was surprisingly fast.  It put me on pace for a 5:22 marathon.  That’s much faster than I expected.  I slowed down a bit in the second lap and more in the third.  Eventually, I settled into consistent 24-minute laps.  That was still a bit fast, but it wasn’t crazy fast.

Before the race, it had been raining steadily.  About the same time the race started, the rain began to let up.  I still felt drops, and I could see them hitting the puddles, but it was just a sprinkling.

By the time I started my third lap, it seemed like the rain might be stopping completely.  I pushed my hood back, but I kept the poncho on.  By the end of that lap, I realized I was going to be too warm with the poncho if it was no longer raining.  After that lap, I stopped long enough to take it off and put it in my drop bag.

I was in the second half of my 4th lap, when I glanced over at one of the lakes and saw raindrops hitting the water.  I didn’t feel it yet, but it was raining again.  I didn’t want to have to stop again to put my poncho on, so I decided to go without it as long as I didn’t get too cold.

In my next lap, the rain seemed to stop again.  After another lap, I noticed the sun occasionally shining through a gap in the clouds.  By now, I was pretty sure the rain was done.  I was starting to feel hot, so I took my gloves off.

There was a breeze blowing from the south.  In the first half of each lap, it was at my back, so it didn’t do anything to cool me.  That’s when I often felt hot.  In the second half of each lap, I was going into the wind.  Then I felt more comfortable.  Sometimes, it even felt cold.  That pattern persisted for the rest of the race.

I wasn’t quite half done when my left shoe started to feel funny.  I suspected my insole might be slipping.  It wasn’t too bad, so I did my best to ignore it.  Thankfully, it never got worse.

I was also noticing a painful blister on one of the toes of that foot.  I don’t usually get blisters on the tips of my toes when I’m walking.  This was a blister that I first noticed yesterday, when I was running.  Now that it was there, it hurt both running and walking.

When I finished my 7th lap, I was half done.  I was still averaging 24 minutes per lap, which put me on pace to finish in 5:36.  I tried to tell myself that I could afford to slow down, but I was in a nice rhythm.  I continued to consistently click off laps in 24 minutes each.

One of the runners was celebrating her 100th marathon.  She brought cupcakes.  I don’t normally eat much solid food during a race, but now that I was half done, I grabbed a cupcake and ate it while I was walking.

When I finished my 10th lap, I just had four to go.  I was still trying to convince myself to slow down a bit and save some energy for tomorrow.  I tried to tell myself I had 18 laps to go (including 14 tomorrow), and I should pace myself accordingly.  I tell myself a lot of things.  I usually give myself good advice.  The problem is I never seem to listen to myself.  I continued to click off 24-minute laps.

The closer I got to finishing, the more I became emotionally invested in maintaining the same pace.  With only a few laps to go, I wanted to have even splits.

There’s a runner who lapped me at least twice on Monday, but never lapped me today.  I kept seeing her walking, and I was getting close to catching her.  I picked up my effort just a bit and caught her just before the end of my 13th lap.  I later learned that she ran the first half of the race and walked the second half.  She was saving something for tomorrow.  Obviously, she’s smarter than I am.

As I finished that lap, Daniel asked me if I had one lap to go.  I said, “15 laps, including tomorrow.”  Even when I said it out loud, I didn’t listen.  As I started my last lap, I was on pace to do the second half about 30 seconds faster than the first half.

I was determined to at least do even splits.  As I started my last lap, I put effort into maintaining my pace.  I didn’t realize it, but I was actually speeding up … a lot.

In between the two lakes, we go up and down a small hill.  For 13 laps, I never noticed it.  In my last lap, I finally realized there was a hill.  As I crested the hill, I started to get hot.  The sun was out, and I could feel it.  I reminded myself I just had to get to the turnaround, and then I would have the cool breeze all the way back.

At I reached the turnaround, I looked at my watch.  I did the first half of that lap in 10:30.  Suddenly, I was on pace to have negative splits by at least two minutes.

Now I wanted to see if I could keep up the same pace on the way back.  I tried, but I couldn’t quite do it.  I finished the race in 5:33:45.  My last lap was 21:15.  To put that in perspective, if I had done every lap that fast, I would’ve finished in less than five hours.

I got another medal to add to the chain.  The medal for today’s race was in the shape of a wolf.


Since the race, I didn’t notice any stiffness in my right knee.  Doing several hours of walking did wonders.  Now that I’ve been sitting for a while, It’s starting to stiffen up again.  I’m still worried about the knee, but I’m pretty sure it won’t be an issue for tomorrow’s race.  Instead, I have to worry if I have any gas left in the tank.


Race Statistics
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  5:33:45
Average Pace:  12:44
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  438
Alaska Marathons:  6
Marathons/Ultras Race-Walking:  20




No comments:

Post a Comment