Sunday, December 5, 2021

Race Report: 2021 Rehoboth Seashore Marathon

On December 4, I ran the Rehoboth Seashore Marathon in Rehoboth Beach, DE.  When I ran this race in 2013, it was my 200th marathon or ultra.  This time, it was my 446th.  It’s hard to believe I’ve run or walked 246 marathons or ultras in eight years.  That’s an average of 30 per year.

There aren’t any major airports in Delaware, so I flew to Philadelphia and drove from there.  I had a morning flight on Friday, but I got up much earlier than necessary.  I woke up a little after 1:00 and couldn’t get back to sleep.  At 4:00, I finally got up and ate breakfast.

Two weeks ago, I injured my lower back.  Because of that, I made a last-minute decision to repack my bags.  I usually carry a small soft-sided suitcase that fits easily into the overhead bin on the plane.  I don’t usually mind carrying it, but having that extra weight on one side wasn’t going to be good for my back.  I used a roller bag instead.

I arrived in Philadelphia around 11:00, and I was in my rental car 20 minutes later.  I decided to skip lunch and start driving to Rehoboth Beach.  The drive took about two hours.

I’m most apt to notice soreness in my back first thing in the morning or after sitting for too long.  I felt fine after my flight, but I noticed a little discomfort after two hours sitting in the car.

I stayed at Hampton Inn, which is about four miles from the waterfront.  After checking in and unpacking a few things, I drove into town to pick up my race packet at Rehoboth Beach Running Company.  While I was in town, I bumped into my friends, Cade and Karen, and we stopped by Dogfish Head Brewery & Eats for beers.  I was tempted to order a pizza, but it was already 2:00, and I was expecting to eat a big dinner later.  Instead, I opted to have a bowl of chowder to tide me over.

After walking around town a little, my back was feeling better.  Then I went back to the hotel to organize my clothes for the race.  Later, I drove back into town to have dinner with five other runners at an Italian restaurant near where the race starts.  That gave me an opportunity to see where I should park in the morning.  The portions at the restaurant were huge.  I didn’t finish it all, but I still felt like I overate.

I needed to get up early, so I tried to get to sleep early.  At first, I couldn’t get comfortable, because I had too much food in my stomach.  I eventually nodded off, but woke up again, because I was hot.  Sometimes, after a big dinner, my metabolism will rev up a few hours later.  I folded back the blanket, but it took a long time to cool down again.  I fell asleep a few more times, but never for more than 10 minutes at a time.  I got a lot of rest, but very little actual sleep.

The race started at 7:00, but I needed to drive into town and park.  I left the hotel at 5:45 with a goal of finding a parking spot by 6:00.  The start and finish were about a mile apart.  I was able to find street parking about halfway between them.  I waited in the car to stay warm for as long as possible.  Then I took off my warm-up pants, walked to the start, and made a bathroom stop.

For the last two weeks, I’ve been unsure whether I would run or walk this race.  I was originally planning to race-walk it, but that was before I injured my back.  Prior to the Philadelphia Marathon, I was doing most of my walking at a pace of 11 minutes per mile, and I was working on increasing my turnover rate.  I sometimes got my cadence as high as 180 strides per minute.

Walking with such a fast turnover puts a lot of rotation into my lower back.  I suspect this injury started with walking too vigorously and was made worse by the impact of running during the Philadelphia Marathon, which included a few hills.

The day after the Philadelphia Marathon, my back hurt whenever I tried to move.  By the next day, I was already feeling much better, but I was cautious about returning to training.  In the next few days, I only ran or walked on the treadmill, and I limited my workouts to only three or four miles.  When I walked on the treadmill, I kept my pace between 13 and 14 minutes per mile.  That’s as fast as I could go before noticing significant rotation in my lower back.  When I ran, I set the incline to two percent, so I could reduce the impact of running by only running uphill.  That all went OK.

Next, I started doing outdoor workouts.  Some were continuous walking.  Others were a run/walk mix, where I only ran the uphill portions, and I walked everywhere else.  I had mixed results with the run/walk workouts, but the walking workouts went badly.  Even though I was trying to holding back on my pace, I still kept walking too fast.  I always felt OK at the time, but I would wake up with back pain the next morning.

In the last few days, I’ve been taking it easy.  I haven’t done any running, and the only walking I’ve done has been at a casual pace.

For the race, I didn’t know if running or walking would be harder on my back.  The concern with running was the impact.  This race has very little elevation change, so I didn’t have to worry about running downhill.  I wasn’t sure how bad running on level ground would be.  With walking, the concern was putting too much rotation into my lower back.  I would probably be OK if I could keep my pace slower than 13 minutes per mile, but I find it difficult to do that consistently when I’m not using a treadmill to regulate my pace.

The temperature was in the 40s.  That’s not bad for running, but it’s a bit chilly for walking, unless I’m walking fast enough to work up a sweat.  For that reason, I decided to start out running, at least until I was warmed up.

I bumped into several people I know in the start area.  David Shannon was lined up right near me, so I started the race with him.

photo credit: David Shannon

It always takes a minute or two for everyone to get up to their pace.  During that time, I ran with a stride that was more of a slow shuffle.  I felt like I was doing a good job of minimizing impact by barely clearing the ground.  As the people in front of us sped up, David got up to his pace.  I wanted to keep running with him, so I accelerated slightly and adopted a more conventional stride.  So far, I wasn’t noticing any discomfort in either my lower back or my right knee.

I never looked at my watch, but when we finished the first mile, David told me our pace was 9:37.  That’s very close to the pace I ran during the New York City Marathon.  It’s much slower than the pace I ran more recently in the Philadelphia Marathon, yet it felt more tiring.  I definitely wasn’t feeling as strong today as I was two weeks ago.  That may have been the result of two straight nights without much sleep.  Sometimes you can shake that off.  Sometimes you can’t.

The first two miles of the race were a loop through the heart of the city.  Then we turned onto the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk.  Last January, I ran a marathon that included long sections of boardwalk, and running on that surface really bothered my right knee.  I think it’s because the wood was slightly springy.  My knee is doing much better now, but it’s not 100 percent.   I didn’t want to risk aggravating it by running on this surface.  I also didn’t know if running on the boardwalk would be harder on my back.  For those reasons, I switched to walking as soon as I got to the boardwalk.  I told David to go ahead without me.

When I’m cold, I have a subconscious tendency to walk faster.  Now that I was warmed up, that was less of a danger.  I was able to switch to walking without going too fast.  At this point, it felt like a rest break from running, which made it easier to keep from going fast.

I had my phone with me, and I stopped to take pictures of the boardwalk and the coast.  The occasional stop helped keep me from starting to pick up the pace.  I was walking at a slightly brisk pace, but I wasn’t going fast.  I wanted to keep  it that way.


While I was walking, I saw a few friends go by.  I also saw two pace groups go by.  First, I was passed by the 4:20 group.  Later, I was passed by the 4:35 group.  When I reached the end of the boardwalk, I resumed running.  I was running by myself now, so I adopted a slower pace than before.

When we left the boardwalk and got back onto city streets, there was a chip mat and a large digital clock.  A guy there said this was the split for our first 5K.  Looking down the road, I saw a sign for three miles.  If we weren’t to the three mile mark yet, we couldn’t have finished 5K.  Farther down the road, I saw a 5K sign.  Clearly, the chip mat wasn’t measuring our 5K split.  It was probably there just because it was a major turn on the course.  I’m not sure why they had a clock there.

We quickly turned onto another street, and began a long out-and-back section.  I immediately saw runners coming back.  These were the fastest runners in the half marathon.  They had a much shorter out-and-back than the marathon.

Now that I was running again, I started getting sweaty.  I considered taking off my jacket, but it was easier to take off my gloves.  I kept the jacket on for a few mile miles.

I eventually caught up to the 4:35 group and passed them.  I also caught up to David.  I had expected to pass the 4:35 group now that I was running again.  I wasn’t expected to catch up to David this soon.  Then he told me he had made a bathroom stop.

I wasn’t noticing any discomfort in either my knee or my lower back, so I decided to keep running until I had a reason to walk.  Earlier, I considered running until I started getting hot and then taking a walking break until I cooled off.  Now that I was running with David again, I was inclined to stay with him.

After about five miles, we turned onto a trail, which quickly gave us views of this pond.


At first, I couldn’t tell if it was firmly packed gravel or if it was pavement that was covered with a thin layer of grit.  Eventually, it became clear that it was the former.  Then I started to notice pine needles as we ran through some trees.


After another mile, we reached something that looked like a bridge.  The surface was different from the boardwalk we ran earlier, but it had wooden supports, so I assumed it might be a bit bouncy.  Now I had a reason to walk.  I told David I was going to walk it, and he went ahead.  What I thought was a bridge was a walkway over a marshy area.


I was still wearing my jacket, and it was clear that I would eventually need to take it off.  Since I had slowed to a walk, I took the opportunity to take off my jacket and tie it around my waist.

The walkway turned out to be much longer than I expected.  As I continued across, I saw views like this.


The 4:35 group passed me again.  I assumed I would play leap frog with them.  They’d pass me whenever I was walking, and I’d catch up to them when I resumed running.

By the time I reached the end of the walkway, my hands and arms were getting cold.  I assumed they would warm up again when I resumed running.  My arms did warm up, but even after I resumed running, my hands remained cold.  I had to put my gloves on again.

Around the eight mile mark, I ran through Fort Miles.  This is a coastal fortification that was built during World War II.  Now it’s a historic site.


As I left Fort Miles, I was back on firm pavement, but there was a section that was noticeably downhill.  Most of this course is flat, but it’s not entirely flat.  On this downhill section, I briefly switched to walking.

I was still three miles from the end of this out-and-back section, but I was starting to see runners coming back.  At first, I saw the lead runners.  Over the next few miles, I would also see several of my friends, who were running at a faster pace.

Somewhere around nine miles, I passed the 4:35 pace group again.  I was running faster than they were, but it took two miles to make up the time I lost when I was walking.  After another mile, I caught up to David again.  After that, I ran with David for the rest of the race.

Just after the 11 mile mark, we reached the turnaround.  We were within sight of this tower.  I'm not sure, but I think this used to be used for spotting artillery fire.  I saw a similar tower in Fort Miles.

Before, I was seeing everyone who was faster than me.  Now, I started to see the runners who were slower.  I eventually saw almost everyone I know who was at this race.

David came here with a large group of runners from Minnesota.  Whenever he saw someone he knew, he stopped to take a picture.  Usually, I took a short walking break until he caught up to me.  One time, I was about to start walking when I noticed our friend Karen just ahead.  I ran just a little bit faster, so I could catch up with Karen.  We ran together until David caught up to us.  Then the three of us ran together.

photo credit: David Shannon

When we ran through Fort Miles again, I asked David if we had gone through the halfway mark yet.  We did, but I never noticed it.  I didn’t have a time goal, but I always like to make note of my halfway split, so I know if I sped up or slowed down in the second half.  We were almost to 14 miles already, and neither of us made note of our halfway split.

So far, I hadn’t noticed anything on the trail that I could trip on.  Then suddenly, I caught my left foot on something.  I never saw it, but it felt just like hitting a root.  More likely, it was a small rock embedded firmly in the dirt.  It caused me to pop up a little and come down hard on my right foot.  I didn’t fall, however.   A hard landing like that is the sort of thing that could be hard on my back or my right knee, but neither one felt any different.  That was a good sign.

When we got back to the walkway over the marshy area, I switched to walking again.  David walked with me, but Karen went ahead on her own.  We didn’t walk all that briskly.  We walked at a normal pace.

When we got done with the walkway, we resumed running.  Before long, I caught my left foot on something again.  I never saw anything sticking out of the trail, but it felt the same as last time.  Whatever I hit was embedded firmly.  Once again, I was thrown off balance and landed hard on my right foot.  Once again, it didn’t seem to bother my back or my knee.

We eventually turned off the trail and back onto pavement.  We still had two more miles before finishing this out-and-back section.  These miles were uneventful, but I was getting hot, so I took off my gloves again.

At 19 miles, we passed the point where we originally started the out-and-back.  We turned onto Henlopen Avenue which skirts the northern edge of the city center.  I commented to David that I was surprised the 4:35 pace group didn’t pass us earlier, when we were walking.  He said, “They did.”  Apparently, a whole group ran past us and I somehow didn’t notice.  Now I wondered if we would catch them again.

David needed to mix some Nuun powder in his water bottle, so we took a short walking break.  When we resumed running.  Eventually, we reached a corner and saw Karen.  She needed to make a bathroom stop, and that allowed us to catch up to her.  The three of us ran together again, although we would eventually get separated going through an aid station.

We crossed a bridge over the canal and entered a residential neighborhood.  In the city center, many of the businesses had Christmas displays.  Here, some of the houses were decorated.  This one caught my eye.


We continued on city streets for about another mile.  Then we started another out-and-back section on a trail.  At first, the trail seemed similar to the one we were on before.  We ran through some trees, and I noticed lots of dry leaves on the trail.  Leaves make me nervous, because they can hide rocks or roots.  Then I remembered that I had yet to see any trip hazards on this trail.

We emerged from the woods.  With no leaves on the trail, it looked nice and clean.  A minute later, I tripped on something.  This time I didn’t keep my balance.  I tumbled onto the trail, rolling over my right side and onto my back.  David stopped to help me up.  My hands were dirty, and they felt like I scraped them.  I looked at my hands but didn’t see any blood.  I told David I needed to walk for a minute before we resumed running.

After we started running again, I glanced at my right elbow and saw some blood.  I also noticed some slight discomfort on the left side of my right kneecap.  Apparently, I banged my knee as I hit the trail.  The knee discomfort I felt now was different from what I’ve felt in the last year.  That seemed like good news.  What I didn’t want is for the old and familiar pain to suddenly get worse.

Having fallen, I paid much more attention to the trail.  Some parts were clean, but other parts had embedded rocks.  I needed to start watching for them.  I became even more wary of leaves that could hide them.

We had to run another two miles before reaching the turnaround point.  Just before we got there, I saw the 4:35 pace group coming back.  They weren’t that far ahead of us.  I wondered if we could catch them.  I asked David how much energy he had.  He said the pace we were running was all he had.  I gave up on catching the 4:35 group.  That’s just as well.  Pouring it on in the late miles might be harder on my back.

On our way back, we were constantly talking.  I enjoyed our conversation, but I think it was taking my attention off the trail.  Before long, I tripped and fell again.  I was really regretting not wearing gloves.  I once again felt painful scrapes on my hand, but there wasn’t any blood.  I noticed more blood on my right elbow.  I felt some minor pain on a different spot on my right knee.

David stopped and heled me up again.  For the second time, I needed to walk for a minute to regain my composure.  Then we resumed running.  After that, David occasionally reminded me to watch my footing and pick up my feet.

We were almost to the end of the trail section.  I thought I was home free.  Then I tripped and fell again.  Each time this happened, I felt more embarrassed than the time before.  David helped me up again and asked me if I wanted to walk.  I just wanted to start running again.

It's worth noting at this point that this isn’t a rugged trail.  It was mostly flat and a good solid surface to run on.  There’s weren’t any roots.  There were spots where there were small rocks embedded in the trail surface, but they never protruded more than about a quarter of an inch.  Trail runners would consider this to be a road race.

I don’t know anybody else who fell during this race.  It was just me.  Over the years, I’ve developed a stride that’s efficient for road running.  My feet barely clear the ground.  When I’m on roads, it serves me well.  I don’t have much wasted energy.  All my motion is forward, with no wasted vertical motion.  Unfortunately, it’s not a good stride for trail running.  My feet hit everything.

Early in a race, I can adapt and pick up my feet.  Late in a race, when I’m fatigued, I fall back into old habits.  All three of my falls came late in the last four miles of the race.  In retrospect, I probably should’ve walked this section of the course.  My falls all occurred over a span of about two miles.

When we got back onto pavement again, I breathed a sigh of relief.  We had about two miles to go.  We were both tired, and I had some sore spots, but we just needed to put one foot in front of the other for about 20 more minutes.

With less than a mile to go, we crossed the canal again.  The first time we crossed it, we were on the sidewalk.  Coming back, we were in one of the driving lanes.  The middle part of the bridge has a steel grate surface.  I had to watch my step carefully to make sure I didn’t trip.  This type of surface is treacherous, and it would really hurt to fall here.  We slowed down a lot, but we made it across the bridge without incident.

We had to negotiate a few more turns, but then we saw the finish line.  We crossed the line at about the same time.  I haven’t seen the official results yet, but according to my watch, I finished in 4:38:02.  David finished with the same time.

After crossing the line, we each got a heat shield.  It was sunny now, and the temperature was several degrees warmer than when we started.  It was still nice to have the heat shield.  It meant I wouldn’t need to get any clothes from my car before going to the party tent.

The finisher medal had a similar design to other years, but it was larger, and it included the shape of Delaware.


They had an impressive spread of post-race food.  In the middle of the street, they had a tent with two buffet lines.  Hot foods included, waffles, bacon, sausages, biscuits & gravy, hot dogs with warm buns, meatballs, macaroni & cheese, and at least three other items I can’t remember.  Outside the tent, there was a table with cold items, including potato chips, bananas, Coke, and water.

After getting our food, we headed for the party tent.  At packet pickup, we each received a wristband.  You needed the wristband to get into the tent.  Each wristband had three coupons for free beers.  At the far end of the tent, they had a table with an assortment of beers and hard seltzers.

We found a place to sit down and made our way to the beer table.  To get there, we had to navigate through a huge crowd of people who were rocking out to the music.


Eventually, we were joined by most of the friends we had seen that weekend.  Several of were 50sub4 club members, so we took a group photo.

photo credit: Sadie Smith

As I ate my food and drank by beer, I became more aware of my injuries from the three falls.  I noticed a patch of dried blood on the right side of my knee.  I was wearing tights.  The tights didn’t appear to be torn.  The blood soaked right through it.  I noticed a dirty smudge on my T-shirt in same spot where I had a sore spot on my shoulder.  I’d have to wait until later to see if the skin underneath was scraped.  I also noticed some discoloration on the palm of my left hand, going all around my thumb.  Neither hand had scrapes that were bleeding, but I appeared to have some deep bruising on my left hand.  Did I mention I should’ve kept my gloves on?

I heard the DJ announce that one of the runners did her 50th half marathon.  I wondered if he had  any idea that several of us had run hundreds of marathons.  In particular, Cade ran his 300th marathon at this race.  Julia made sure they knew, and one by one, we all had our names and accomplishments announced.

I was at the post-race part for about two hours, but eventually I needed to go back to the hotel and clean up.  Here are pics of the scrapes on my right elbow, knee, and shoulder.  These are all superficial wounds that’ll be fine in a day or two.


This is what my left hand looked like.  It was somewhat sensitive to pressure.  I’m not sure how long that will take to heal, but it doesn’t seem like a big concern.


After taking a bath, I did some stretches that I do every day.  When I stretched my right quadricep, I felt some discomfort in my right knee.  That was something new.

Later in the day, I had dinner at Cooter Brown’s with most of the other runners I had been hanging out with this weekend.  When I walked up the stairs, I noticed some discomfort in my knee.  I’m hoping that proves to be a short-term symptom of today’s falls and not a setback in healing from the old knee injury.  Only time will tell.

Before dinner, I wasn’t noticing any discomfort in my back.  After sitting down in the restaurant, I noticed my lower back when I got up again.  I’ll need to keep an eye on that.

Saturday night, I slept like a rock.  The exhaustion finally caught up with me.  That’s usually how it goes the night after a race.  When I got up, I started taking inventory of my various sore spots.  My various scrapes had scabs, but those will heal.  There’s a small bruise on the tip of my elbow, but that’ll also heal.  My left palm was still sensitive to pressure, but no worse than it was right after the race.

I noticed some minor discomfort on one side of my lower back as I moved around, but it wasn’t any worse than what I’ve been feeling for the last two weeks.  On the drive back to Philadelphia, I noticed my back a little, but only for the first 30 minutes of the drive.

When I got to the airport, it brought back memories of how my back felt the day after the Philadelphia Marathon.  I felt worlds better this time.  I’m cautiously optimistic that my back is no worse now than it was before the race.  I’ll train cautiously so it can continue to heal.

I’m more concerned about the knee.  It’s too soon to say whether this will be a setback to my recovery.  I’ll have a better idea in the next few days.


Race Statistics
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:38:02
Average Pace:  10:36
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  446
Delaware Marathons:  4

No comments:

Post a Comment