Thursday, August 11, 2022

2022 Minnesota Senior Games: Walking Events

Last year, I competed in the Minnesota Senior Games for the first time.  A knee injury prevented me from competing in any running events, but I was still able to compete in the race-walking events.  There are two race-walking events, and they’re both held on the same day.  Last year, I skipped the 1,500 meter race, so I could focus on winning the 5,000 meter race.

For the same entry fee, you can sign up for as many as five different events.  I’ve recovered from the knee injury that plagued me last year, so this year I optimistically signed up for two race-walking events, two road running events, and one track and field event.

At the time, my goal was to win the two walking events and try to place in my age group in the running events.  If I could do that, I would also qualify for all five events in next year’s National Senior Games.  I was pretty confident about my race-walking, but I would need to start doing speed work to do well in the running events.

My biggest concern at the time was my lower back.  As it turns out, my lower back is doing much better.  It didn’t bother me in any of my July races, and it’s not holding back my training in any way.

Unfortunately, I have a new concern.  In May, I started to notice some minor discomfort in the proximal hamstring tendon of my left leg.  That’s the tendon that connects my hamstring to my pelvis.  At the time, I was training for FANS, so I was doing all my training at a slow pace.  When I ran or walked slowly, it didn’t bother me.  After FANS, I started to pick up the pace of my training runs.  Then it became much more inflamed.

I got through six marathons in July by running at a slow pace.  At the time, I wasn’t doing any race-walking, since I was pretty sure that would cause this injury to flare up again.

Two weeks ago, I finally tried race-walking.  I walked five kilometers as fast as I could.  I wanted to know how much speed I had lost since the National Senior Games in May.  I also wanted to know how my left leg would feel.

My pace was about a minute per mile slower than it was a year ago.  Still, that might be fast enough to win the 5,000 meter walking event at the Minnesota Senior Games.  That was the good news.  The bad news is that race-walking even once made my injury worse.  That’s when I knew it would be a bad idea to try to compete for the win today.

The race-walking events were both held today.  I was signed up for both events, but I decided to skip the 5,000 meter walk.  At this point, my only goal was to qualify for nationals.  If I qualified in one event today, I could do both events at nationals.  With that in mind, there was no point in doing both events today unless I was trying to compete.

The Minnesota Senior Games were held in Mankato.  The race-walking events were both held on the track at the Mankato campus of Minnesota State University.


I drove to Mankato this morning and went straight to the university.  First, I stopped at the Johnson Alumni Room to check in.  There are several fast food restaurants nearby, so I grabbed an early lunch before heading over to the track.

The 5,000 meter race-walk event started at 11:00.  Although I was no longer planning to complete in this event, I still wanted to watch.  I informed the officials that I was scratching in this event, but I was still planning to compete in the 1,500 meter race later in the afternoon.

There were dark clouds nearby, and we sometimes heard thunder.  There was a storm system about five away, but it wasn’t moving in our direction.  Most of the walkers finished in dry weather.  Before the last two walkers finished, I started to feel drops, so I walked back to my car.


After watching the race, I went to my hotel to check in.  I’m still planning to do the 10K run tomorrow morning, and I didn’t want to drive to Mankato two days in a row.  There weren’t any rooms ready yet, so I drove to Sibley Park to see where I would need to park for the start of tomorrow’s race.  When I got back to the hotel, they had a room ready.

I returned to the track at 4:00 to do the 1,500 meter race.  To qualify for nationals, I needed to place in the top four in my age group.  That was never in question, as there was only one other guy in my age group.  I didn’t have to walk fast.  I just needed to walk 1,500 meters at any pace.

I had no intention of walking as fast as I could, but I also didn’t want to be the last one to finish.  I wanted to walk at a pace that was somewhat brisk, but not fast enough to cause any discomfort in my leg.  Qualifying for nationals was never in doubt, so the most important thing was to keep from making my injury worse.

If I was making a serious attempt to compete, I would start at the fastest pace I could manage.  Instead, I did the opposite.  I made a point of staying behind almost everyone, to keep myself from starting too fast.  After about 200 meters, I gave myself permission to pick up the pace a little, but I was still going much slower than I would if I was trying to compete.

By the end of my first full lap, I was beginning to feel some soreness in my left leg.  Then I had to slow down until the soreness diminished.  For the rest of that lap, I forced myself to stay behind the walker who was right in front of me.

One of the rules of race-walking is that you have to have a straight knee when your lead foot makes contact.  I was about 700 meters into the race when I heard the race-walking judge warn the walker in front of me that his right knee was bent.  As he tried to correct his form, he slowed down a bit.

After he slowed down, I was no longer comfortable staying behind him.  We had just started a turn, and I didn’t want to be in lane two all the way around the turn as I slowly passed him.  I picked up my pace enough to pass him quickly, but then I felt soreness in my left leg again.  For the second time, I had to slow down.

For the rest of the race, I did a better job of finding the pace that wasn’t quite fast enough to cause any soreness.  I eventually finished the race in 13:13, which is about what I expected.  For comparison, the last time I race-walked this distance, my time was 8:59.

Everyone who places in their age group gets a medal.  Placing second out of two in my age group didn’t seem like much of an accomplishment, but at least I showed up.  You know what they say.  When you finish last, you’re still lapping everyone who’s sitting on the couch.  I finished last in my age group by more than four minutes, but that was still put me in second place.

 

After the race, I no longer noticed any soreness in my leg.  I’m cautiously optimistic that I didn’t overdo it today.

There’s nothing impressive about walking 1,500 meters in 13:13, but now I’m qualified to do both race-walking events at next year’s National Senior Games.  Tomorrow I’ll work on qualifying for the running events.


Race statistics:
Distance:  1500 meters
Time:  13:13
Average pace:  8:49 per kilometer (14:11 per mile)

No comments:

Post a Comment