Sunday, April 30, 2023

Race Report: 2023 Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon

On April 29, I ran the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon in Louisville, KY.  This marathon takes place one week before the Kentucky Derby.  It’s part of the Kentucky Derby Festival, which includes several other events during the buildup to the Kentucky Derby.

I’ve done this race three times before, and I’ve always had good results here.  The two other times I ran it, I qualified for the Boston Marathon.  When I race-walked it, I had my fastest time for walking a marathon.

They’ve changed the course significantly since I last ran it.  The new course still starts and finishes in downtown Louisville and still goes through Churchill Downs.  They eliminated the hilly loop through Iroquois Park, and they added a long out-and-back segment on the Indiana side of the Ohio River.  I’ve always liked races that go through more than one state, so I was excited about the new course.

I flew to Louisville Friday afternoon.  The expo was at the Kentucky Exposition Center, which is close to the airport, so I stopped there before going to my hotel.  Pre-race emails told us which gate to enter and which parking lots to use.  They also included a QR code for the parking.

I stayed at the Hampton Inn in downtown Louisville.  I had to pay for parking, but it was just two blocks from where the race starts.  After checking in, I walked to Old National Bank to view the memorial to victims of a mass shooting that took place earlier this month.

The starting line for the race used to be near the corner of Main and Preston, which happens to be right where this bank is located.  Earlier in the week, the race organizers announced a last-minute change to the course to move the starting line to the corner of Main and Brooks, so the start corrals wouldn’t be right in front of this memorial.  They also made a small adjustment to the course near Churchill Downs, so the total distance would still be correct.

I had dinner at Bearno’s Under the Bridge, which has what they call Louisville-style pizza.  I’m not sure what distinguishes Louisville-style pizza from other pizza.  I had their Mama Bearno’s Special, which was loaded with toppings.

I got to sleep early enough, but woke up frequently during the night.  At times, it seemed like I was waking up every 10-15 minutes.

When I got up Saturday morning, I still felt full from dinner the night before.  I had a cup of tea and tried to eat some sweet potato chips, but I could only eat a few of them.

The hotel had a free breakfast, which started at 6:00.  After getting dressed, I went downstairs to get a pastry and a cup of orange juice.  Even that seemed like too much food, but I needed to eat something to wake up my digestive system, so I could empty out before the race.

When I left for the race, it was 48 degrees, but the temperature was still dropping.  I expected the temperature to drop another degree or two before it started to warm up.  Once the sun came up, I expected it to warm up quickly.  By the time I finished the race, it would get into the low 60s.  I nevertheless wore tights.  I’m always more concerned with keeping my legs warm enough in the early miles.  I was willing to take my chances on feeling hot in the late miles.

The race started at 7:00 AM.  The starting line was close enough that I didn’t need any warm-up clothes, but the finish line was more than a mile away.  I could’ve checked a gear bag with warm clothes to wear after the race, but instead I tied a jacket around my waist, so I could put on my jacket after the race.

Being so close to the start meant I could use the bathroom in my hotel room instead of waiting in line to use a port-o-potty.  I left the hotel 20 minutes before the race to give myself enough time to get through the crowds and find the right place to line up in the start corral.

After running the Boston Marathon in 4:02:21, I wanted to see if I could go a little faster in this race.  It would’ve been tempted at aim for four hours, but I didn’t want to be too greedy.  I ran negative splits in my last two races, and I wanted to see if I could do that again.  Accordingly, my plan was to run the first half of this race at a 9:15 pace, which was the same pace I ran at Boston.  If I wanted to go faster, I needed to do that in the second half.

This race is large enough to have pace groups.  I lined up behind the 4:00 group.  I wasn’t planning to stay with the group for the whole race.  Instead, my plan was to stay behind them in the early miles.  That was my way of ensuring I wouldn’t start too fast.

Most large races have some form of real-time tracking.  It’s usually based on the race’s own timing system and lets friends and family members know when you crossed one of the chip mats, which are usually spaced every five kilometers.

This race uses an app called RaceJoy.  If you want other people to be able to track your location during the race, you need to install the app on your phone, carry your phone with you, and press a button on the app when you crossed the starting line.

Deb likes to track me during races, so I downloaded the app.  I was intending to have my phone with me, but I forgot to pack my fanny pack.  I had a Spibelt that I could use to hold my hotel key card, but it’s not big enough to hold a phone.

In the first mile, I found it difficult to stay close to the pace group.  I often had to move around slower runners who were probable lined up too far forward.  That was only a problem in the first mile.

I saw the first mile marker when my watch was only reading nine tenths of a mile.  I expected that.  One of the pacers had told us that the first several mile markers would be off.  I assume they placed the mile markers at the same locations as last year, even though the starting line was in a different location.  I expected them to be more reliable after we reached Churchill Downs.

When my watch recorded a time for the first mile it was 9:04.  The 4:00 pace group had a target pace of 9:09, so we were a little fast, but that’s not too surprising.  It’s hard to start at exactly the right pace.

We were just past a mile when we reached an aid station.  I decided to skip that one, so I could focus on settling into a nice consistent rhythm.  There would be plenty of other aid stations along the course.

As expected, the next several mile markers all seemed to be misplaced by about the same amount.  The leaders of the pace group ignored them and paced themselves according to their GPS watches.  That would come back to haunt us later in the race.

The second and third miles were also too fast.  In fact, they were faster than the first mile.  After three miles, we were about 29 seconds ahead of a four-hour pace.  I wasn’t too worried.  My plan was to run with the group for a few miles and then drop back on my own.

When we reached the next aid station, I saw water, but no sport drinks.  I generally prefer to drink whatever sport drink is available, so I can get some sugar.  I kept going past the water tables until I reached the last one.  No seeing any sport drinks, I drank a cup of water.  As I kept running, I saw that they also had Powerade, but it was in the next block.  I made a mental note to wait for the Powerade tables at subsequent aid stations.

By the end of three miles, I was already getting hot and sweaty.  I knew I would probably feel overdressed in the second half of the race, but I wasn’t expecting to feel hot this early.  It couldn’t have been any warmer than 50 degrees.

I had been talking to one of the pacers, but when we made the sharp right turn onto 3rd Street, I inadvertently got ahead of him.  In the fourth mile, I made a point of easing up, so I would come back to the group.  The pacers also eased up in that mile, to compensate for taking the first three miles a little too fast.  In that mile, I slowed to 9:20.  Overall, however, my pace was still a little too fast.

The pacers also went a little slow in mile five.  By the end of that mile, they were pretty close to their target time.  I was actually a little ahead of mine.  I was expecting to drop back by now, but miles four and five felt nice and easy.  My stride was nice and relaxed.

I knew at some point the group would need to speed up again.  When they did, I had to make a decision.  Instead of dropping back, I decided to stay with them for a few more miles.  I was originally planning to pace for 4:02 and then see if I felt up to going faster in the second half.  Now I was toying with the idea of staying with the group for the whole race and pacing for four hours.  My stride was still relaxed, but I could tell I was working harder than I did in the first half of my last two races.

When we reached the third aid station, I ran past all the water tables.  I expected to see Powerade, but there wasn’t any.  I ended up skipping that aid station entirely.  I told myself I couldn’t afford to do that again.  One of the pace leaders said they might only have Powerade at every other aid station.  In fact, they had it at most of the aid stations, but not all of them.

In the ninth mile, we turned onto Central Avenue.  In the past, we ran about half a block and then turned left to enter Churchill Downs.  This year, we went past the entrance to Churchill Downs and then did a short out-and-back on Central Avenue.  Then we turned right to enter Churchill Downs.  The purpose of the out-and-back was to make up the distance from moving the starting line.  I assumed that the rest of the mile markers would be in the right spot.

We went through a tunnel and emerged between the grandstands and the track.  After a couple turns, I saw some horses on practice runs.  That’s something I always look for at this point in the race.

The course I ran in past years continued south toward Iroquois Park after leaving Churchill Downs.  Where the marathon and half marathon used to split, we now go the same way.  The first 12.5 miles of the marathon route is now the same as the half marathon.

We came back into downtown on 4th Street.  When my watch recorded a split for the ninth mile, the sign for nine miles was at least a block away.  It’s not unusual for a GPS watch to read a little high, but the discrepancy was more than I expected.  I didn’t worry about it too much.  Maybe I should have.

I started to fall behind the pace group.  I wondered if it was time to let them go and start running at my own pace.  I had already stayed with them much longer than I planned.  Then we went under some railroad tracks.  Before the underpass, we were going slightly downhill, and I caught up to the pace leaders without even trying.  After that, I decided to put in the extra effort to stay with them.

Somewhere along 4th Street, I missed another aid station.  As I ran past the water tables, I saw a table in the distance with Powerade bottles.  When I got there, nobody was filling any cups with Powerade.  I looked over to the other side of the street and saw volunteers handing out cups of Powerade over there.  By the time I noticed that, it was too late to get over there.  After that, I committed to drinking at every aid station, even if it meant drinking water first and looking for Powerade later.

When we reached the sign for 10 miles, one of the pacers mentioned that his watch was already reading 10.25.  Everyone was assuming that the sign was placed in the wrong spot.  It’s not that unusual for one sign to be badly misplaced.

When we got to the 11-mile sign, one of the pacers asked, “Where is it?”  I told him I could see the sign in the distance.  Our watches read 11.25 by the time we got there.  I think the pace leaders were assuming this sign was also in the wrong spot, but I wasn’t so sure.  I started to wonder if the signs were actually correct, and it was our watches that were wrong.  It’s fairly common for GPS watches to read a little high.

If the mile markers were correct, then we were well behind the pace we needed for a four-hour finish.  In the next mile, I allowed myself to start getting ahead of the group.

There was another runner who was also getting ahead of the group.  She asked me what time I usually run.  I didn’t know how to answer that, since my recent times have been fairly erratic.  I finally told her I was hoping for four hours.  By now, I had mentally committed to that, even though it wasn’t my original plan.  At first, she said she was also hoping for four hours.  Then she said she wanted to at least break 4:05.  That’s the time she needed to get her first Boston qualifier.  For the next few miles, we ran together, staying a little ahead of the pace group.

When we reached the 12-mile sign, my watch read 12.22 miles.  More and more, I was trusting the mile markers and distrusting my watch.  Perhaps because of that, I subconsciously picked up the pace in the next mile.

When my watch recorded a split for mile 13, it was 8:48, which was my fastest mile so far.  I never got the name of the woman I was running with, but I told her we took that mile a little fast.  She wondered if we should slow down and wait for the group.  We were almost to Big Four Bridge, which is where we would cross the Ohio River.  I knew we would have a big climb up to the bridge, so I suggested we could give back the time by going kind of easy on the climb.

When we reached the sign for 13 miles, my watch already read 13.17.  I was hoping they would have a sign or a chip mat at the halfway mark, so I could find out my time for the first half.  They didn’t, so I had to make an estimate.  Extrapolating from my time at 13 miles, I’m guessing my time for the first half was about 2:01:14.  My originally plan was to run the first half on pace for 4:02.  As it turns out, I did, but I didn’t do it the way I planned.

The climb up to the bridge was a spiral ramp.  It was tiring, but I didn’t try to push the pace.  I was willing to give some time back, rather than wear myself out.  The bridge itself was fairly flat.  I was almost to the other end when my watch recorded a mile 14 split of 9:38.  That was my slowest mile of the race, but I limited the damage.

Coming off the bridge, I was able to speed up.  The next mile was 8:47, so the two miles together were only slightly slower than the pace we ran in the first half of the race.

Now we were on a long out-and-back on the Indiana side of the river.  We were never far from the river, and there was a nice breeze off the river.  Even though the temperature was climbing, I actually felt more comfortable in the second half.  The breeze kept me from overheating.

Now that I was in the second half of the race, I started to pick up my effort.  I felt a little bad about dropping the woman I had run with for the previous four miles, but her goal was 4:05 and mine was breaking four hours.  The first half wasn’t as fast as I thought it was, so I had to pick up my pace.  I knew the 4:00 group wasn’t too far behind us, and she could always run with them if they caught up to her.

In mile 15, I ran just as fast as I did in the previous mile, even though that mile was downhill and this one wasn’t.  I didn’t really know what to expect after that.  The first half of the race was fairly flat, but I had never run this part of the course.  If you look at the elevation profile, it looks like there are several sharp ups and downs.  I knew there weren’t any big hills, but as we moved onto a paved trail, I wondered if some of these small hills would be abrupt enough to take me out of my rhythm.


Some of the hills were slightly tiring, but none of them were steep or abrupt.  Most of the time, I was able to keep up a reasonably consistent pace.

I had been reading the splits from my watch, but I wasn’t paying attention to my cumulative time.  At 16 miles, I finally looked at my watch and computed my average pace.  By now, I was trusting the mile markers, which is something I should’ve started doing earlier.  Through 16 miles, my average pace was 9:13.  That was fast enough to beat 4:02, but it wasn’t fast enough to beat four hours.

My last two miles were both nine minutes or faster.  If I could keep that up for the rest of the race, I would probably break four hours.  One mile at a time, I focused on that goal.

In most miles, I was able to keep my times in 8:40s or 8:50s.  Then in mile 19, I ran 9:10.  That scared me, so I picked up my effort.

Just past 19 miles, I reached the turnaround, which was a small circle.  They had an aid station there, but they only had bottles.  I couldn’t drink a whole bottle of water, and I didn’t want to carry one with me.  Rather than take a few sips of water and then waste the rest, I chose to skip that aid station.  That was the last one I skipped.  All the remaining aid stations were ones I had already seen on my way out.  I knew they all had cups.

As I started coming back, I saw the four-hour pace group.  They were closer to me than I thought.  At some point, they also realized they had to trust the mile markers, and they had to speed up to get back on a four-hour pace.

Somewhere in the 21st mile, one of the four-hour pace leaders passed me.  I couldn’t believe how fast he was going.  I ran that mile in 8:43, yet he passed me like I was standing still.  It would’ve been tempting to go with him the rest of the way, but I couldn’t.  It was pretty obvious that his pace was too fast for me.

The next mile included a small hill that tired me out.  I felt like I slowed down on that hill, and I wondered if that whole mile would be slow.  It wasn’t.  I ran another 8:43.  In spite of my fast pace, I had already lost sight of that 4:00 pacer.

When I reached the 22 sign, I computer my average pace again.  It had improved to 9:10.  Overall, I still wasn’t on pace to break four hours, but I knew I could get there if I kept running nine-minute miles.  I was reasonably confident I could do that if the rest of the course was flat, but I still had to cross the Big Four Bridge again.

At 24 miles, the other 4:00 pace leader caught up to me.  He was cautiously optimistic that he could break four hours, but he was trying to put a little time in the bank in anticipation of losing time on the bridge.  Personally, I was hoping that whatever time I lost on the uphill side of the bridge, I could make up on the downhill side.

The climb up to the bridge didn’t seem as bad in this direction.  I kept up a consistent effort.  I knew I’d slow down a little, but I didn’t want to run out of gas.  The bridge itself is fairly flat.  Once I got onto the bridge, I really picked up my effort.  My watch recorded a split of 9:03.  That wasn’t bad at all.

I did the best I could to pick up the pace coming off the bridge, but it’s a spiral ramp, and my legs were getting fatigued.  I wouldn’t know how well I ran it until my watch recorded a split for mile 26.  Most of that mile was flat, but I did my best to keep up a fast pace.  I ran that mile in 8:33.

The finish was next to the Lynn Family Stadium.  I saw it from the bridge, but it was still pretty far away.  As I came back into the downtown area, I saw a stadium and got excited.  Then I realized it was the Louisville Slugger Stadium.  I still had a fair distance to go to get to the Lynn Family Stadium.

When my watch read 26 miles, I had somewhere between five and six minutes left to finish within four hours.  That should’ve been plenty, but I knew I was still well short of 26 miles.  It was frustrating not knowing how far it was to the finish.

In the distance, about a quarter mile away, I saw something that was the same color as a mile marker.  As I got closer, I saw it was graffiti.  I still couldn’t see the mile marker.  When I finally saw it, I couldn’t believe how far away it was.  When I finally got there, my watch read 3:58:03.  I had enough time, but it was going to be closer to four hours than I thought.  I reached the 13 sign for the half marathon with a time of 3:58:38.  One of those signs had to be misplaced.  There’s no way I ran a tenth of a mile in 35 seconds.

As I came within sight of the finish line, I saw the pacer who had raced past me five miles earlier.  Now he was coasting.

I finished in 3:59:21.  I broke four hours, and I ran negative splits by about three minutes.  It was my first sub four finish of the year, and it was the third straight race that I ran with negative splits.  It didn’t always go according to plan, but I’m very happy with the result.

In the past, I usually paced myself by checking my watch at the mile markers.  I couldn’t do that in this race, because I knew the first eight mile markers would be off.  For half the race, I relied on a pace group, and they were pacing according to GPS.  How far off was my watch?  It read 26.61 miles when I finished.  I always tell people their watches can be off by as much as half a mile.

After crossing the line, I greeted both 4:00 pacers as they finished.  Then I waited for the runner I met earlier.  I wanted to know if she would get her Boston qualifier.  When she crossed the line, I asked her what her time was.  If I remember right, it was 4:01:36.  That’s a BQ-3:24.

I continued through the finish area and got my finisher medal.  The artwork features the logo of the Kentucky Derby Festival.

I didn’t really drink enough during the race, so I made up for it in the finish area.  First, I had some Powerade.  Then I had a carton of chocolate milk.  My race bib had a coupon for a free beer, so after making a bathroom stop, I went to the beer garden to get my beer.  They also had food in the finish area, but after having three beverages, I didn’t feel like eating anything.

I saw other runners with heat shields, but I didn’t see where they got them.  Fortunately, I had my jacket, which had been tied around my waist for the entire race.  I also had a pair of gloves that had been tucked inside my waistband since I took them off about a mile into the race.

As soon as I finished my beer, I started walking back to the hotel.  I had to walk more than a mile.  About half of that was backtracking along the end of the marathon route.  I was surprised to see that there were still lots of people finishing the half marathon as well.  Apparently, they had at least hour-and-a-half hours to finish.

When I got back to Hampton Inn, the employee at the front desk asked me how I was feeling and asked if I wanted a grab-and-go snack bag.  It included an apple, a bagel with cream cheese, and a water bottle.  That was plenty of food.  I didn’t have any regrets about not getting food in the finish area.

I spent the afternoon recovering at the hotel.  I didn’t go back out until it was time for dinner.  When I travel, I always search for the most popular pizzerias.  The one that seemed to be most popular was Parlour Pizza, which was only two blocks from my hotel.

After dinner, I was talking to a bartender.  He asked if there were fewer runners this year, because he didn’t encounter as much traffic driving into downtown.  The race was as large as it’s always been, but with the second half of the marathon on the other side of the river, the city can open up the downtown streets as soon as the half marathon is done.

Sunday morning at breakfast, I was talking with others runners who were convinced the course was a half mile long.  I don’t think so.  My watch was reading high, and others were reading even higher, but the mile markers along the route all seemed to be consistent with each other.  Besides, there’s no way I’m in good enough shape to break four hours on a course that’s a half mile long.  I’m improving, but that’s a stretch.

I didn’t fly home until Sunday afternoon.  That gave me time to do a workout in the hotel’s fitness room.  It also gave me an opportunity to have lunch before driving to the airport.  Everyone knows my favorite food is pizza, but I also have a fondness for Cincinnati-style chili.  For my last meal before flying home, I went to Skyline Chili.

Half of this race was in Indiana, but the race started and finished in Kentucky, so it counts as a Kentucky race.  This was my fifth marathon in Kentucky, which brings me one step closer to my goal of eventually running five marathons or ultras in every state.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  3:59:21
Average Pace:  9:08
First Half:  2:01:14 (estimate)
Second Half:  1:58:07 (estimate)
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  480
Kentucky Marathons:  5

No comments:

Post a Comment