Sunday, July 14, 2024

Race Report: Summer Camp Series, Day 2

On July 14, I ran the second race of the Mainly Marathons Summer Camp Series.  For me, it was the third day of six on a row, since I also ran the last race of the Heartland Series.

I haven’t been getting enough sleep.  Yesterday, I had an early dinner and made a point of getting to bed early.  I slept well for a few hours, but then a thunderstorm woke me up.  It was a violent storm, and the thunder was too loud for me to get back to sleep.  Even after the storm ended, it was at least an hour before I finally got back to sleep.

The good news is that the thunderstorm came during the night and not during the race.  The weather today was similar to Friday.  It was 65 degrees at the start, and it gradually warmed up to about 80 by the time I finished.  There was one difference, however.  The humidity was much higher today.

Today’s race was in Sauk Rapids.  Our start/finish area was in a small parking lot near the boat launch at Sauk Rapids Municipal Park.  Our course was a paved trail near the Mississippi River.  Our laps were shorter today, so we had to run 16 laps to complete a marathon.


I saw a friend in the start area who isn’t doing the series, but decided to drive up to run today’s race.  I was talking to Karen before the race, and we both started the race at the same pace.

Karen and I both had similar goals.  Neither of us wanted to go too fast, but we didn’t want to take longer than five hours.  We ended up running the whole race together, while talking the whole time.

Yesterday, I felt stiff at the beginning of the race.  Today, I had an easier time getting started.  Karen was letting me set the pace, and I started a little faster today than I did either of the last two days.  For the first five or six laps, I was averaging about 10:15 per mile.

It was a little difficult to know for sure what our pace was, because our watches were telling us different things.  Karen’s watch was consistently giving a longer distance than we actually ran.  My watch was reading a shorter distance.  As a result, we were seeing different splits from our watches, even though we were running at the same pace.  By the end of the race, our watches were half a mile apart.

I usually run by myself.  Having someone to talk to was a welcome distraction.  It made the laps seem to pass quickly.  After our first lap, I forget to stop and drink some Gatorade.  I was careful after that to drink after every lap.  Since there were more laps today, I had more opportunities to drink.

Because of the overnight storm, there were a couple of puddles on the course.  In our first lap, we ran around on the grass.  By our second lap, one of them was already drying up, and we could run through it without getting our shoes wet.  The other puddle was larger, and we had no choice but to go around it, even though it meant briefly running on mud.

We knew we were going kind of fast, but it seemed pretty easy in the early laps.  I have a tendency to speed up when I’m talking to someone.  After about five laps, we eased up a little.

photo credit: Kevin Brosi

After eight laps, we were half done.  We were on pace for 4:30, but we both knew we would need to slow it down in the second half.  We could afford to slow down quite a bit and still keep our times under five hours.  That’s fortunate, since the heat and humidity started to wear on us in the second half of the race.

I started to feel like my throat was constantly dry, even though I was drinking more and more after each lap.  Karen was monitoring her heart rate, and sometimes needed to take a short walking break if it got too high.

After 12 laps, we were three quarters done.  To be on pace for a five-hour finish, we needed to run the first 12 laps in 3:45.  We finished our 12th lap in 3:28. so we were 17 minutes ahead of schedule.  That gave us room to not only slow down, but also take more walking breaks.  By the last two laps, we were taking two or three short walking breaks per lap.

My left heel, which bothered me yesterday, felt fine today.  That was a pleasant surprise.  The ice/heat treatment I did yesterday was effective.

There was a young guy named Antoine who was running his first marathon.  From time to time we noticed him.  He seemed to be handling his first marathon well, despite the increasingly difficult conditions.  Halfway through our last lap, we asked him what lap he was on.  He was also on his last lap.

With half a lap to go, Antoine was running just ahead of us.  I was tempted to catch up to him, so we could accompany him to the finish line.  We didn’t, because he was speeding up, and we didn’t want to work that hard.

We finished at our own pace.  When we finished, we discovered that Antoine had won the race.  Neither of us was paying enough attention to realize that there weren’t any faster runners.  Karen and I tied for second place, finishing in 4:51:23.

I got another piece to add to my chain of medals.  Today’s medal was a monarch butterfly.

Today’s race went surprisingly well.  In my previous two races, I felt tired, even going at a slow pace.  Today, I had more energy, in spite of the lack of sleep.

After the race, I finished my Gatorade.  Then I ate a few pickle slices.  One of the volunteers asked me if I wanted some pickle juice.  When you’ve been sweating profusely, drinking pickle juice is an easy way to quickly replace salt.  I drank a glass of pickle juice and then drank a glass of chocolate milk.

When we were both done snacking and rehydrating, we waited for a few minutes to see another friend, who was about to finish a lap.  Then we started walking to our cars.  Before we got there, we each realized we had forgotten something, so we walked back to the finish area.

Antoine was still there, sitting on a bench.  I asked him how he felt.  He said, “Not good.”  Then he said he felt like throwing up.  Karen was concerned that he might be hyponatremic.  She and the volunteers encouraged Antoine to eat or drink something with salt.  Then he threw up, which made us more concerned.

By the time we left, he seemed to be feeling better.  By now, everyone in the finish area knew they should keep an eye on him.  By the time I left to drive back to the hotel, I saw that Antoine was up and around, and he was walking back to his car.

I brought a bathroom scale from home, so I could weigh myself before and after each race.  When I got back to the hotel, I weighed myself.  I was both surprised and relieved to see that I didn’t lose any weight.  I still felt thirsty, so I drank two glasses of chocolate milk.

I didn’t feel the need to do another ice/heat treatment for my heel, but I did do a number of stretches after getting cleaned up.  I still felt thirsty, so I’ve been continuing to drink water.

I’ve run three marathons in three days, and I’ve got three more to go.  After yesterday’s race, I was feeling pessimistic.  Today, I feel better.  I need to get more sleep though.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:51:23
Average Pace:  11:07 per mile
First Half:  2:15:06
Second Half:  2:36:17
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  519
Minnesota Marathons/Ultras:  99

No comments:

Post a Comment