Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Race Report: 2026 Summer Camp Series, Day 4

Today was day four of the Mainly Marathons Summer Camp Series.  Today, we were running at Quarry Park and Nature Preserve in Waite Park.

This park contains 22 old granite quarries that are no longer in use.  Some of them are quite deep, and over the years they’ve filled in with rain water.  A few have been converted into swimming holes, making this park a popular summer destination.

The park has a network of gravel trails.  Over the years, Mainly Marathons has held races on at least six different routes through the park.  Today’s race was held on my favorite route.

This route goes through the middle of the park, past a swimming hole with a beach.  Then it continues past the observation deck before we turn around and come back to the aid station in the parking area.  Along the way, we passed a few other quarries.  For a marathon, we ran this route 14 times.



The weather was cooler today.  The temperature was in the mid-60s at the start and never got out of the 70s.  We also had a cool breeze, so I was never in danger of getting hot.

During my first lap, I ran the whole way, stopping only to take pictures.  During my second lap, I saw a couple of deer in the woods.


On the hotter days, I did little or no walking in the first half, so I could afford to take walking breaks as it got hotter.  Today, that wasn’t a concern.  I just needed to make sure I was staying on pace to finish in six hours.  In my third lap, I did some walking so I could talk to my friend, Karen.

This course doesn’t have any big hills, but it’s also not flat.  There are sections that are slightly uphill and sections that are slightly downhill.  After a few laps, I became more aware that some part of the course were more tiring and others were easier.  One of the tiring sections came just before the turnaround.  I continued to run everywhere else, but I started walking that section.

In lap seven, I ran about half of the lap with Ken.  His pace was a little tiring for me.  Shortly after that, I started to notice that my legs were getting sore.  On other days, I got hot and tired, but this was the first time I had sore muscles during the race.

At the halfway point, I was slower than I had been on any of the other days.  I had some room to slow down, but not much.  Instead of doing extra walking, I felt like I had to keep mostly running.

It was a big contrast with yesterday, when I felt strong in the second half.  As I thought about that, I realized I was probably sore today because I didn’t hold back enough yesterday.

I was checking my watch every three and a half laps to make sure I was on pace for a six-hour finish.  The first time I checked, I was three minutes ahead of schedule.  Halfway through the race, I had a six-minute cushion.  When I checked again with three and a half laps to go, it was still a six-minute cushion.  I was no longer adding to my cushion, even though I wasn’t doing any extra walking.

One lap later, another friend named Karen caught up to me.  I ran with her for the rest of that lap and all of the next one.  Running with Karen helped me to stay on pace.  As I started my last lap, I had a little more than 35 minutes to break 6:00.  The previous lap only took 25 minutes, so I knew I could now afford to do more walking.

I could’ve walked more, but I didn’t.  Having only one lap to go made it easier for me to coax myself to keep running.  In the first half of that lap, I did a little more walking but not much.  I reached the turnaround in 12 minutes.

As I thought about where the tiring uphill sections were, I realized most of them were in the first half of the lap.  Coming back, it was mostly downhill.  With that in mind, I ran the rest of the lap, finishing in 5:49:30.  I really struggled today, but it wasn’t my slowest race of the series.

Today’s addition to the chain of medals was a Viking.

During the race, I enjoyed the cooler temperatures.  After the race, however, I was a bit disappointed.  By doing the race, we all got free admission into the park.  On a scorching hot day, like the last four days, I would’ve enjoyed going for a swim after the race.  When it’s only in the 70s, it’s not warm enough to go swimming.  Those quarries are so deep that the water is always ice cold, even in the summer.  I saw a few people swimming, but I decided to pass on that.

There’s just one more race in this series.  Tomorrow, we’ll be coming back to Quarry Park, but we’ll be running a different route.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  5:49:30
Average Pace:  13:20 per mile
First Half:  2:53:24
Second Half:  2:56:06
Marathons/Ultras in 2026:  26
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  598
Minnesota Marathons/Ultras:  121

No comments:

Post a Comment