Saturday, October 10, 2026

Race Result: 2026 Hartford Marathon

On October 10th, I ran the Hartford Marathon.  I scheduled this race so I could try for a second Boston qualifier in Connecticut.  It’s the only marathon in Connecticut where I would have a realistic chance of getting a BQ.

Until a week ago, I didn’t know if I was in good enough shape to run a Boston-qualifying time.  Then I qualified with six minutes to spare at the Twin Cities Marathon.  The good news is that I came into this race knowing I can run that fast.  The bad news is that my effort last weekend took a lot out of me.  After that race, my left Achilles tendon was as tight as it’s been in months, and I only had six days to recover.  I didn’t do much training during the week.  I just did strength training and a few short recovery runs.

I flew to Hartford Friday morning.  I was staying in a downtown hotel, so I didn’t need to rent a car.  I took a taxi from the airport.  After that, I could walk everywhere.

When I got to my hotel, it wasn’t even 11:00 yet.  Surprisingly, I was able to check into my room right away.

The expo didn’t open until noon.  In the meantime, I did a little sightseeing in the downtown area.  I didn’t plan to have my phone with me during the race, so this was my chance to take pictures of the landmarks near the start and finish.

This is the Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Arch in Bushnell Park.  We ran through this arch just before finishing the race.

The starting line was in front of the Connecticut capitol building.  This was the second time in a week that I was starting or finishing a race in front of a state capitol.

The expo was held at the Connecticut Convention Center.  After picking up my bib and T-shirt, I browsed the various merchandise, sampled a beer from a local brewery, studied a map of the finisher area, and visited the booth for the pace team.

I spent the rest of the afternoon doing a workout at the hotel and relaxing until it was time for dinner.

The race didn’t start until 8:00 AM, so I didn’t have to get up too early.  I still went to bed early.  That made it possible to get a full night’s sleep and still wake up an hour before my alarm.  I was able to eat a light breakfast and take my time getting ready.  I’ve never felt so relaxed on the morning of a race.

The temperature started out in the mid-40s.  It would rise to 60 by noon, but I dressed for the cooler temperatures at the start.  They had a gear check in the start/finish area, but I chose not to check a gear bag.  I waited as long as possible before leaving the hotel, so I wouldn’t be standing around in the cold for too long.  From my hotel, it was about a 15-minute walk to get to the start corrals.

The qualifying standard for my age group is 4:05.  That was my goal.  They didn’t have a pace group for 4:05, but I knew one of the guys leading the 4:00 pace group.  His name is Ken, and I’ve run with him at several races.  I decided to line up with the 4:00 group and follow them for the first mile before deciding if that pace was comfortable or if I needed to drop back and run on my own.

The pace felt comfortable enough at first.  We left the downtown area and headed to the western side of the city.

The two biggest hills on the course both come in the first five miles.  The first one started during the second mile and topped out halfway through mile three.  It was gradual, but it was long enough to be tiring.  I was able to stay with the 4:00 group through this hill. That was encouraging.

After that, we had a nice downhill section.  On the downhill, I had to ease up to keep from getting ahead of the pace group.

The second hill came in mile five.  I expected this hill to be just like the first one, but it was shorter.  On this hill, I was so determined to keep up my pace that I got out in front of the pace group.

Next, we ran through Elizabeth Park.  This park had some nice flower gardens.  It also had a nice downhill section.  I had to keep telling myself to ease up, so I wouldn’t get too far ahead of the 4:00 group.  Sometimes, I could hear Ken talking to the group, so I knew they weren’t too far behind.

I was running ahead of the group for the next several miles.  Ahead of me, I could see a 2:00 group for the half marathon.  As long as I stayed behind them, I wasn’t too worried about going too fast.

After eight miles, we re-entered the downtown area.  During the next mile, we reached the point where the half marathon course diverged from the marathon course.  I could no longer count on seeing the 2:00 pace group in front of me, so I had to start paying more attention to my pace.

We left downtown Hartford on a bridge over the Connecticut River.  This bridge was a bit of a hill.  I made note of the fact that we would need to cross it again later in the race.

The next few miles were through East Hartford.  After that, we started a long out-and-back that took us into the countryside.

I had been easing up, and the 4:00 group eventually caught up to me again.  I was with them when we reached the halfway point.

Soon, we started to see the fastest runners coming back on the other side of the street.

I stayed with the pace group for the next several miles.  With each passing mile, I got more confident that I could keep up this pace for the whole race.  To help pass the miles, Ken and I were each telling stories.

When we reached the turnaround, it got easier psychologically.  Now, instead of running farther away from Hartford, we were running back toward it.

At 18 miles, Ken told us that we were 75 seconds ahead of schedule.  Anyone who felt strong could go ahead, but he was going to start slowing down.  I continued to run with the group.

At 20 miles, I was on roughly the same pace as my last race.  That race had a long uphill section from 20 to 23.  This race was relatively flat from 20 to 23.  That made me more confident that I could stay with the group.

I was talking with a runner from Boston who was running her first marathon.  Her name was Nikki.  At 22 miles, I noticed that we were getting ahead of the group.  Nikki seemed to be running strong, so I kept running with her and didn’t worry about our pace.  She’s familiar with the Boston Marathon, so I sometimes told her where we would be if we were at the same mile marker on the Boston course.

With about two miles to go, I told Nikki that I didn’t know if I could keep up with her for the rest of the race.  She thanked me for helping her run faster, and then she went ahead on her own.

I kept running at the same pace, while Nikki accelerated and gradually pulled away from me.  For the next mile, I could still see her.  Then I walked for a few seconds while I drank at an aid station.  That’s when I lost sight of her.  That was at mile 25.

Next, we had to cross the bridge over the river again.  I thought that would be the last hill.  I was wrong.  I kept up my pace on the uphill side of the bridge.  The downhill side gave me a chance to recover.  Then there was one more uphill section as we came back through the downtown area.

I struggled on that last hill, but I recovered as the street leveled out.  I’m not familiar with all the downtown streets or buildings, but I knew where I was when I crossed Trumbull Street.  That’s the street I took to get to the start/finish area before the race.

To my left, I could see the post-race area in Bushnell Park.  Ahead of me, I could see a different section of the park.  I just had to continue a little farther before making the last turn.  Just before I got there, I reached the 26-mile sign.

Mile 26 was my slowest of the race, but I was almost done.  I made the last turn, ran through the arch, and then ran to the finish line.  I finished in 3:59:18.

My second half was 30 seconds slower than my first half.  If I could’ve stayed with Nikki, I would’ve run negative splits.  That would've been a tall order though.  She really accelerated in those last two miles.

After I finished, a volunteer handed me a souvenir water bottle that was already filled with water.  Another gave me a heat sheet.

The finisher medal depicts the Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Arch.

Post-race food included popcorn, bananas, granola, pumpkin muffins, chocolate milk, and soup.  I took what I could carry and found a place to sit so I could eat.  I had enough to drink that I skipped the beer garden.  Instead, I went to the results tent, where I found out I was fourth in my age group.  I just missed placing high enough for an award.

I easily ran fast enough to get my second BQ in Connecticut.  Now I’m one step closer to having two BQs in every state.  I’m just missing Missouri, New Mexico, Ohio, and Alaska.  I’ll have a shot at Missouri next month.  The other states will have to wait until next year.  Alaska may be the toughest one to schedule.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  3:59:18
Average Pace:  9:08 per mile
First Half:  1:59:24
Second Half:  1:59:54
Marathons/Ultras in 2026:  38
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  610
Boston Qualifiers in 2026:  7
Lifetime Boston Qualifiers:  194

No comments:

Post a Comment