Monday, January 1, 2018

My Goals for 2018



Last year was a physical and emotional roller coaster, but I finished the year on a positive note.  I’m able to run again, but I’ve added race-walking to my repertoire.  This year, I plan to do a mixture of running and walking, and my goals reflect that.

Walk 100 Miles in 24 Hours at FANS

My favorite home-town race is the FANS 24-Hour Race in Minneapolis.  I’ve run it several times, but this year I plan to walk it.  They’ve always had a separate division for walkers, with awards to the three walkers who go the farthest.  More recently, there’s been a race-walking judge from USATF, making it possible for walkers who cover 100 miles to earn a Centurion walker badge.  That’s my goal.


Walking 100 miles in 24 hours is much more difficult that running 100 miles in 24 hours.  Only 88 people have done it at any race in the United States.  The Centurion badge pictured above belongs to Rob Robertson, who earned it at FANS in 2015.

I started training for this last summer, and it will be the focus of my training for the next five months.  The race is the first weekend in June.

Set a New Race-Walking PR for the Marathon

In November, I walked a marathon in 4:58:01, breaking the five hour barrier for the first time.  While I plan to eventually return to running marathons, I think I have room for improvement as a walker.  While I train for FANS, I’ll be doing marathons about once a month.  I’ve scheduled a few races where I think I can challenge my walking PR.  I’ll be disappointed if I don’t break it.

Finish a Third Circuit of 50 States

I’ve finished at least two marathons or ultras in every state, and I’ve finished a third marathon or ultra in 48 states.  To complete a third circuit of 50 states, I just need to finish another marathon in Oklahoma and Kentucky.


New Countries

In 2010, I finished my first circuit of 50 states.  Later that same year, I ran marathons in Greece and Jamaica.  Those were my first two international marathons.  Since then, I’ve raced in at least two new countries every year.  This year, I once again have a goal of racing in at least two new countries.  I’ve already scheduled one of them.

Minnesota Races

I have a long-term goal of doing every marathon in Minnesota.  I still need to do the Blue Ox Marathon in Bemidji.  I’m definitely planning to do this one in 2018.

I thought I was getting close to reaching this goal, but the finish line keeps moving.  On Saturday, I learned about a new series of races near St. Joseph, MN.  It’ll include four trail marathons in four days.  This series won’t fit into my schedule for this year.  It’s too close to FANS.

Qualify for the Western States Endurance Run

Last year I registered for the Western States Endurance Run (a.k.a. Western States 100) with just one ticket in the lottery.  I didn’t get in, which isn’t surprising.  If I enter again this year, I’ll have two tickets in the lottery.  First, I need to qualify.

Most of the qualifying races are 100 mile trail runs with fairly rugged courses.  I’m not ready for that yet, but I could do a 100 mile trail run on a fairly non-technical course.  Hills I can do.  Roots, rocks, and treacherous descents are another story.  I’ve identified a qualifying race that I think I could handle this year.  It’s the Vermont 100.

Registration for the Vermont 100 opens in a few weeks.  It fills quickly, so I might not get in.  If I can’t get into the Vermont 100, I’ll have to look for another non-technical qualifying race that I can fit into my schedule.  I’m not sure which race that would be.

Re-integrate Running Into My Training

For the first half of the year, I’m content to mostly be walking.  By the end of the year, I expect to be running most of my races, so I should incorporate more running into my training.  I think I could use race-walking to build a mileage base and then use my runs to build strength and speed.

Cut Back on Marathons

For years, Deb has wanted me to cut back on the number of marathon I do.  In particular, I spend too much time away from home traveling to races.  This year, I plan to limit my travel to an average of one solo trip per month.  I’ll also do a couple trips with Deb and at least one home-town race that doesn’t involve travel.  All together, that’s about 15 marathons and ultras.  If I can stick to that, it would be my fewest marathons since 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment