Friday, January 12, 2018

Race Report: Front Street Mile



Today, I race-walked the Front Street Mile in Hamilton, Bermuda.  This was the first race in a three day series called the Bermuda Triangle Challenge.  The other two races are the Bermuda 10K on Saturday and the Bermuda Marathon on Sunday.

I’ve wanted to do the Bermuda Marathon for several years, but there were always scheduling conflicts.  There are several other popular races on the same weekend.  In the past, I always assumed I would just do the marathon.  I’m sometimes content to run a marathon with a goal of simply finishing, but I’ve always felt you should go all out in shorter races.  I couldn’t imagine doing an all-out mile and an all-out 10K and then being able to run a marathon without a day off.

All that changed when I took up race-walking.  It doesn’t take as long to recover from an all-out walking effort.  That made this series seem much more feasible.  I didn’t consider, however, that the Front Street mile is an evening race, and the Bermuda 10K is a morning race.  That won’t give me much recovery time between these two races.

I flew to Bermuda on Thursday, arriving in the afternoon.  There isn’t much lodging in Hamilton, so I stayed at one of the island’s many resorts.  There were three resorts with discounted rates and shuttle service for the races.  My resort was on the opposite end of the island from the airport, so I had to take a taxi.  Renting a car wasn’t an option.  Non-Bermuda residents aren’t allowed to own, rent, or drive four-wheeled vehicles.

After checking in at the resort, I walked down to their private beach.  It was only about 70 degrees, so there weren’t many people at the beaches.



From there, it was a short walk to the Horseshoe Bay beach, which is one of Bermuda’s most popular public beaches.



I wanted to get in a workout before dinner.  I noticed on the ride from the airport that the roads are narrow and don’t always have sidewalks.  I was also running out of daylight, so I went back to the resort to do some walking on one of their treadmills.

The resort has several restaurants, but some of them were closed for the season.  That didn’t stop me from finding one with pizza.

I often have trouble sleeping away from home, particularly the first night.  This trip was no exception.  What was different, however, was that I didn’t have to get up early for a race.  The Front Street Mile is an evening race, so I had the luxury of sleeping in.  That helped.

I spent most of the day relaxing at the resort.  I had breakfast in their ocean-view restaurant, did another easy workout on the treadmill, and had a late lunch at a sports bar next to the golf course.

At 4:00, I caught a shuttle from the resort to Hamilton.  The race didn’t begin until 7:00, but packet pickup was from 3:30 to 6:30.  I received my race packet for all three races, and then had to hang around in Hamilton until it was time for the race to start.  This was one thing I didn’t like about this series.  It seemed like I was in Hamilton way too early.

My race packet included my race bib, plus four T-shirts.  We got one for each race, plus an additional T-shirt for doing the Bermuda Triangle Challenge.  They didn’t have a formal bag check, but they had a tent where you could leave a bag.  I needed to drop off a bag with my T-shirts, plus my warm-up pants.

After packet pickup, I walked about half a mile to where the race started.  Most of the shops were already closing, so there wasn’t much to do but wait.  I saw a woman sitting in a folding chair on the sidewalk.  She had an extra folding chair that she was already saving for someone.  Her name is Nikki, and she’s a Bermuda resident who came out to watch the race.  She let me sit down next to her, and we talked for about half an hour.

I eventually got up and walked to some public bathrooms that were a block or two away.  After making my final bathroom stop, I located the tents for the baggage drop and waited at some nearby benches.  The temperature was about 70 degrees, but there was a strong wind, so I didn’t want to take off my warn-up pants until it was time to line up.  I regretted not bringing a jacket.  It was nice weather for racing, but I felt cold sitting around with the wind blowing off the harbor.

In addition to runners who were doing the Bermuda Triangle Challenge (or Half Challenge), the Front Street mile also includes elite athletes and local high school and middle school athletes.  The race was run in give waves.  I was in the first wave, along with everyone else who was doing the full challenge.  People doing the half challenge were in the second wave, followed by the local non-elite athletes, the elite women, and the elite men.

When I entered these races, the registration pages for the 10K and marathon asked if you were walking or running.  The registration page for the mile didn’t have that option.  It said this race wasn’t for walkers, and went on to indicate the time limit was 12 minutes.  I don’t think they were anticipating race-walkers who could easily break 12 minutes walking.

This was the first time I’ve race-walked an official one mile race, but I did two time trials at a track when I was young.  I knew I wouldn’t be able to compete with those times, so this wasn’t a PR attempt.  It was more of a tune-up for tomorrow’s 10K race.  I was curious to know how fast I could walk an all-out mile.  I expected to be somewhere between 10 and 11 minutes, but beyond that, I really didn’t have a clue.  I’ve been training for longer races.  I have good endurance, but I don’t have the same speed I had in my youth.  Most of my recent workouts have been on a treadmill.  I sometimes pick up the pace near the end of a workout, but I’ve never been able to get any faster than a 10:30 pace, even briefly.  I assumed I would be held back by my mechanics, but would have the endurance to sustain whatever pace I could manage.

The course was an out-and-back along Front Street in Hamilton.  We started and finished at the flag pole.  There were two 180 degree turns.  I lined up in the back of the corral for wave one, knowing I would be slower than most, if not all, of the runners.

While we were waiting for the start, one of the race officials came by and told us that even though we were still going to run a 10K and a marathon, this was a fast race, and we should run as fast as we could.  I still planned to walk the race, but I was more determined than ever to walk fast enough that I wouldn’t be the last finisher in my wave.

I waited until I crossed the line before starting my watch.  By then, I was accelerating furiously, so it was awkward to interrupt my arm swing to start my watch.  I didn’t hear the familiar beep.  I looked down to see if my watch started.  It was too dark to see it clearly.

After crossing the line, I launched myself into the fastest pace I could manage.  Within a block or two, I was getting badly out of breath.  Clearly, I was wrong about my mechanics holding me back more than my aerobic capacity.  For reasons I don’t fully understand, I can walk much faster outdoors than I can on a treadmill.  I started at a pace that was unsustainable, even for a mile.

By the time we reached the first of two 180 degree turns, I realized I was in last place.  Shortly after the turn, I passed the three slowest runners from my wave.

As I got back to where we started, I heard the announcer say, “This is a run, not a walk.”  I don’t think that comment was aimed specifically at me, but I went back through the start/finish area just after he said that.  The runners in wave two were still waiting to start.  They cheered for me as I went by.  I also got cheers from the other waves, including the elite athletes in waves four and five.

After the first turn, we were going into the wind.  I had slowed a little since the start, but it was still a strain to maintain my pace.  Before I reached the second turnaround, I passed another runner.  I passed a fifth runner on the turn.

I was relieved to no longer be walking into the wind.  I only had a few blocks to go, but I was severely short of breath.  I could see the lead runners from the second wave approached from the opposite direction.  They started four minutes after me, but they weren’t that far back.  It seemed inevitable that a few of them would pass me.  As I went through a well-lit area, I looked at my watch.  It still read “0:00.”  It never started.

I got within a half block of the finish. Nobody from the second wave had caught me yet.  I thought I would hold them off.  Then the first two runners of the “Half Challenge” passed me.

As I neared the line, I paid close attention to the clock.  The last number I saw on the clock before  crossing the line was 9:44.  Whoa!  Clearly, I can walk much faster in a race than I can on the treadmill.  I wouldn’t find out my official time until a few hours later.  It said my gun time was 9:43.8, and my chip time was 9:38.9.

I wanted to get back to the hotel as quickly as I could, so I could shower, eat dinner, finish this race report, and get to bed.  I have another race tomorrow morning, and I wanted to get enough sleep.

There’s normally a cab stand on Front Street, but the street was still blocked off for the race.  The next closest cab stand was four blocks away, in front of City Hall.  After retrieving my gear bag, I started walking toward city hall.  One block from Front Street, I saw a group of people getting out of the cab.  I waited for them.  The cabbie asked me if I needed a cab.  That chance encounter saved me several minutes, plus a few blocks of walking.

I had dinner at a sports bar at the resort.  I almost have time to get a full night’s sleep.  Tomorrow morning is the Bermuda 10K.  My goal is to set a race-walking PR for 10K.  One race down, two to go.


Race Statistics
Distance:  1 mile
Time:  9:38.9
Average Pace:  9:38.9

No comments:

Post a Comment