Saturday, December 28, 2019

Race Report: Savage Seven, Day 3


Today was the third day of the Savage Seven, although for me, it was day two of four.  I went into this race not having any idea how fast or slow I would run.  I just had to wait and see how I felt.

Because I already had my race packet, I didn’t have to get to the race venue as early.  I still had to set an early alarm, but not quite as early as yesterday.

I slept better last night.  I think I got about seven hours of sleep.  I can’t quite say that I felt well-rested, but I definitely felt better than I did Friday morning.  When I got out of bed, I felt some soreness in my legs.  I regretted not taking an ice bath after the first race.

When I got up, the temperature was 68 degrees.  That’s several degrees warmer than yesterday.  The humidity was 100 percent again.

I didn’t bring all the same gear.  I opted to leave my reusable cup at the hotel and just grab cups at the aid stations.  I also used a regular watch, instead of my GPS watch.

Just before the race, I checked my weather app again.  The humidity was still 100 percent.  My app also said it would start raining in 117 minutes.  That would be about halfway through the race.

Like yesterday, we started out running in the dark.  Unlike yesterday, there wasn’t anyone else running at my pace.  On the plus side, I was already familiar with the course.

As I started the initial out-and-back, my legs were a bit stiff.  I started tentatively, but gradually loosened up.

The turnaround of the initial out-and-back was marked with a flashlight that was shining towards me.  It was foggy.  The bright light shining into the fog made it difficult to see the pavement, even with my flashlight.

By the time I got back to the start/finish area, I no longer noticed the soreness in my legs.

I had to run the first lap by myself, so it was more important than ever to look for the course markings.  I ran this same circuit five times yesterday, so it was already familiar.  I knew where to expect the turns, but things have a way of looking different in the dark.  I had only run this circuit once in the dark, and I had someone with me.  This was my first time running it alone.

People running the half marathon didn’t start with the out-and-back, so they affectively started the first lap with a half mile head start.  After negotiating the first two or three turns, I passed a handful of people who were walking the half marathon.

There are a few turns early in the loop, but then there’s an out-and-back section that’s about a mile long.  I thought I was past all the turns, but then I went a long time without seeing any other runners.  I continued shining my flashlight at the pavement to look for arrows made with flour.

The longer I went without seeing arrows or other runners, the more I wondered if I missed a turn.  There are several intersecting paths.  If I missed a turn, I could go a long way without realizing it.  In daylight, I would recognize enough of my surroundings to make it obvious if I was on the right path.  Before dawn, you just don’t see enough of your surroundings.  Nothing looks familiar.

I expected to be passing more runners.  When I didn’t, I got more and more insecure.  I asked myself how I would know for sure if I was off course.  Yesterday, it took me about 28 minutes to reach the aid station at the turnaround.  There were a few things I would recognize shortly before getting there.  If I went 28 minutes without seeing the aid station or anything else familiar, I would have to backtrack.

I looked at my watch.  So far, I was less than 20 minutes into the race.  I couldn’t draw any conclusions yet.  As if on cue, my flashlight seemed to get dim.  I didn’t change the batteries since yesterday.  Now I faced the prospect of getting as much as a mile off course and not having any light.

I ran a bit farther and then saw an arrow.  It’s worth noting that most of the arrows are used to mark turns.  They’re far less frequent on a long stretch with no turns.  Now, I finally had evidence that I was going the right way.  About a minute later, I saw lights ahead of me.  I was catching up to three more runners.

After I passed them, I once again seemed to go a long way without seeing anyone.  At least by now, I knew I was still on course.  As for my flashlight, it was still working.  It’s possible it was a little dimmer, but it was still giving me enough light to see.  It’s also possible that my mind was just playing tricks on me.

I eventually saw a port-o-potty that’s right next to the course.  I recognized that from yesterday.  Just past it, I reached a road where we turn left.  As soon as you turn, you can see the aid station.

I had already passed six or seven runners, but I expected to see more.  Everyone else who was doing the marathon was behind me, but everyone doing the 50K or half marathon started this lap ahead of me.  By now, I should’ve seen everyone.  If they were still ahead of me, I would see them by now, because I could see the aid station.  If they were already on their way back, I would’ve seen them going the other way on the long out-and-back.  I know some of the 50K runners took an early start, but at least one started with the marathon.  Why didn’t I see him by now?  I knew by now that I didn’t miss any turns, but I wondered if other people got lost.

As I reached the aid station, the volunteer asked me my number and wrote it on one of the cups, so I could use the same cup every lap.  I was tempted to look at my watch, but I decided to wait until the end of the first lap.

As I returned from the aid station, I saw lots of runners on their way out.  In particular, I saw everyone else who was doing the marathon.  Nobody was anywhere close to me.  I didn’t know if I would break four hours today, but I was going to win the race by a wide margin.

I was sweating like crazy.  My flashlight is attached to a lanyard that I wear around my wrist, to keep it from hitting the ground if I drop it.  I could feel it bouncing on my wrist.  I don’t usually notice it, but it was saturated with sweat.

As I got closer to the end of the first lap, there was enough light that I could turn off my flashlight.  Then I reached a junction where I couldn’t remember if I was supposed to turn.  I turned on my light one last time, and I stopped briefly to look for the arrows.  After confirming I was supposed to go straight, I turned off my flashlight for good and put it in my fanny pack.  It was a relief to not have that sweaty lanyard bouncing on my wrist.

I always wear sunglasses during races for UV protection.  Because we started in the dark, I was using clear lenses.  The high humidity caused them to fog up.  Clearly today’s conditions were tougher than yesterday’s.  If I couldn’t break four hours, I would have an excuse.

Near the end of the lap, I saw the race director, Jc.  I told him about my concern that someone might have missed a turn.

After finishing my first lap, I finally looked at my watch.  I was two minutes faster than yesterday.  That was a pleasant surprise.  I asked myself how I felt.  Aside from feeling the humidity more, I felt about the same as yesterday.  That was also a pleasant surprise.

I reminded myself that I ran faster than necessary yesterday, and I certainly didn’t need to be going faster today.  As I started my second lap, I told myself to relax.  That’s easier said than done.

Now that it was daylight, I could see the pavement more clearly.  It was wet everywhere.  It may have rained during the night, but I don’t remember noticing any wet pavement before the race.  I think it was wet from condensation.  The air was saturated and the temperature might have dropped since we started, causing dew.

About two miles into my second lap, I started to notice some pressure building in my intestines.  Everything I ate yesterday was working its way through my system.  I might need to make a bathroom stop during the race.

I was almost to that port-o-potty that’s right next to the course, but I remembered someone saying yesterday that it needs cleaning.  I wouldn’t stop there unless I needed to.  In the start/finish area, there’s a building with real bathrooms, but it’s a short distance off the course.  Stopping there would take extra time.

When I got to the far aid station again, I recognized the volunteer there.  It was “George from Georgia.”  He ran yesterday, but was volunteering today.  I didn’t recognize him on my first lap, because it was still dark.  Before leaving the aid station, I looked at my watch.  I was one minute faster than yesterday.

Yesterday, I ran the first lap at exactly the right pace, but then I sped up.  Today I started faster, but I wasn’t accelerating.  I felt comfortable with my pace.  I was confident I could sustain it.

At the end of my second lap, I made note of exactly how far it was from the course to the course to the building with bathrooms.  I didn’t need to use the bathroom yet, but I wanted to know what my options were.

As I left the aid station to begin my third lap, I saw that I was still about one minute ahead of yesterday’s pace.  I told myself again to relax.

As I neared the midpoint of my third lap, it occurred to me that the rain could be starting any time now.  No rain so far.  I looked up at the sky.  It was a mixture of thin white clouds and blue sky.  It didn’t look like rain, but that’s exactly what the sky looked like when we had our first passing shower yesterday.

Before reaching the aid station, I passed the port-o-potty again.  I knew I would pass it again on the way back from the aid station, so I waited to see what my time was.  When I got to the aid station, I was about five minutes ahead of a four hour pace.  That was the same as yesterday.  That was enough time for a bathroom stop, but I didn’t know if my legs would be stiff after stopping for that long.  The pressure in my intestines was building, but I decided I could hold out at least until the end of the lap.

At the end of that lap, I also made the decision to wait a little longer.  I checked my pace again.  I was back to being a minute ahead of yesterday’s pace.  By this time in yesterday’s race, I had decided to try for negative splits.  That wasn’t a priority today.  I just wanted to break four hours.  I told myself to relax (again).  This time, I think I actually listened.

At the midpoint of my fourth lap, I was a minute slower than yesterday.  It’s worth noting, however, that yesterday I ran fastest in the first half of the fourth lap.  I didn’t slow down today.  I just didn’t speed up.

As I neared the end of that lap, I started to notice tiny drops touching my arms.  It was less than drizzle.  It was more of a mist.

My time at the end of four laps was about the same as yesterday.  To break four hours, I just had to run the last 5.14 miles in 56 minutes.  As long as I didn’t start walking, it was hard to imagine not breaking four hours.  My only concern was the possible need for a bathroom stop.  I put that off for a little longer.

In my last lap, the mist turned to drizzle.  It wasn’t enough to bother me.  I was so sweaty, I barely noticed it.

On the out-and-back section of the route, there was a noticeable hill.  I usually picked up my effort going up the hill.  This time I didn’t.  As I reached the port-o-potty, I was much more tempted to stop, but I waited until I was on my way back from the aid station.

At the aid station, I was a bit slower than yesterday, but I still had more than 33 minutes to run the last 2.57 miles.  I made a tentative decision to stop at the port-o-potty.  At the very least, I would look inside to assess how clean it was and check if there was paper.  Then I saw it was occupied.  That made my decision easy.  I had to hold out until the end of the race.  That also made it easier to resist the temptation to try for negative splits.  I didn’t want to push too hard.

I once again relaxed going up the hill, but I couldn’t help but speed up on the downhill side.  That happened every lap.  The faster pace carried over into the flat section that followed.

The course incorporates a 5K loop, but adds an out-and-back that’s a mile each way.  As I finished the out-and-back for the last time, I knew what I had left was roughly half of the 5K loop.  The 5K loop has markers painted on the pavement for every half mile.  A short time after getting onto the 5K loop, I saw the 2 mile marker.  I knew where the finish line was.  They have a checkered line painted across the pavement.  I would pass it about a tenth mile before reaching the start/finish line for the marathon.  That meant I had about 1.2 miles to go.

Knowing I was that close, the anticipation of finishing caused me to speed up.  Yesterday, I felt the same thing with a full lap to go.  At least today I was able to wait until I only had 1.2 miles to go before unnecessarily speeding up.

I passed the 2.5 mile marker.  Then, eventually, I passed the checkered line.  Looking ahead, I could see the timing tent next to our finish line.  I got there in 3:48:34.  I broke four hours again.  I got the overall win again.  I even ran negative splits again, although only by a minute.

As I expected, the finisher medal was the same as yesterday, but today they had a different ribbon.  I now expect they’ll have a different color every day.


Before leaving the finish area, I drank two cups of Gatorade and ate part of a grilled cheese sandwich.  I also made a long overdue bathroom stop.

As I was talking to my friend Marsha, I dropped a cup on the ground.  She offered to pick it up, but I quickly picked it up myself.  My quads were already getting sore and stiff.  Avoiding using them would only make it worse.  After squatting down to pick up the cup, I did another squat just for good measure.

I realized I had to take an ice bath today if I want to have any chance of breaking four hours again tomorrow.  The soreness was already setting in, and it would take me 20 minutes to drive back to the hotel.  Ideally, you want to get into an ice bath as soon as possible.  It wouldn’t do anything about the soreness I was already experiencing, but it could prevent delayed onset muscle soreness that would continue developing over the next 24 hours.

When I got back to the hotel, I drank two cups of chocolate milk to continue refueling.  It’s a quick way to rehydrate, replace carbs, and get a little protein.  Then I started preparing my ice bath.

Ideally you want to start with a tub of cold water, filled just high enough to cover your legs.  Then you add about 30 pounds of ice.  The faucet on my tub had a design that made it difficult to get water that was completely cold.  The best I could do was to get water that was only slightly warm.  To compensate for the warm water, I added more ice.

I have an insulated bag that holds about 15 pounds of ice.  I made five trips to the ice machine.  That’s 75 pounds of ice.  It brought down the temperature of the water and still left a layer of ice floating on top.


You can’t be timid about getting into an ice bath.  If you try to get in slowly, you’ll change your mind.  You have to sit in the tub in one quick motion, completely submerging your legs.  That’s the easy part.  The hard part is staying in it.  It’s intensely cold.  It’s so cold it hurts.

To get the full benefit of an ice bath you should stay in it for at least 10 minutes, but no more than 20 minutes.  I usually do the full 20 minutes, but this was the coldest ice bath I’ve ever done.  I stayed in it for 15 minutes.  The water was so cold that the ice wasn’t melting at all.  When I got out, there was still about 30 pounds of ice floating on the water.

My muscles were so cold that my quads burned when I stood up to get out of the tub.  I dried off carefully and put on my swim suit to head outside where they had a hot tub.  My legs were as red as a lobster, and walking was difficult.  The hot tub felt good.  It wasn’t too hot, so I was able to sit in it for a long time.  After my muscles warmed up, I massaged them.  I’ll still have some soreness tomorrow, but not nearly as much as I would without the ice bath.  I’ve decided I really want to go for another sub four tomorrow.

Now I just need some pizza.


Race Statistics
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  3:48:34
Average Pace:  8:43
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  396
Florida Marathons:  5
Sub 4 Hour Marathons:  248

No comments:

Post a Comment