Monday, December 30, 2019

Race Report: Savage Seven, Day 5


Today was day five of the Savage Seven.  For most people, it was the fifth of seven straight marathons, half marathons, or 50K races.  For me, it was the last of four straight marathons.  My main reason for doing this series was to get a quadzilla (four marathons in four days) in Florida.  I also had a stretch goal of breaking four hours in all four marathons.  That would give me a lifetime total of 250 sub4 marathons.  I didn’t know if I could do it, but I’ve been taking it one day at a time.

I broke four hours in the first three races, so my stretch goal was within sight.  Each day, I have more soreness in my muscles, and there’s the danger that this will be the day I run out of gas.  Today, I had one big advantage.  It’s the last day, so I didn’t need to hold anything back.  I could fight hard for the sub4, knowing I could rest tomorrow.

More than once during the night, I woke up feeling thirsty.  Normally, I would just go back to sleep, but last night I got up to get a bottle of water.  I drank some each time I woke up.

My usual habit is to avoid drinking too much before a race.  I don’t want to be urgently needing to pee right before a race, when it takes 20 minutes to get through the bathroom line.  That’s more of a concern at large races.  I’m usually fine if I drink plenty of fluids during the race.

These races have aid stations every 2.57 miles.  I’m not carrying any fluids with me, because the extra weight slows me down.  A small cup of Gatorade every 2.57 miles isn’t enough when you’re running in warm humid conditions.  I’ve been getting by with that only because I’m loading up on fluids with breakfast, and we’ve had passing rain showers during the races.

When I arrived at the race, it was 73 degrees with 100 percent humidity.  It’s the fourth straight day the humidity has been 100 percent in the morning.  I’ve never seen that before, but maybe that’s normal for this area.  Each day has been warmer than the day before.  The wildcard has been rain.  The first two days, we had periods of drizzle or light rain.  Yesterday, we had drizzle for most of the race.  Today, there was a chance of a passing thunderstorm.

I won the previous three marathons, but today we were joined by Justin Gillette.  Justin is way out of my league, but he’s been working through an injury, so he didn’t know how his would feel.  His plan was to start running and see how his leg felt.  He didn’t expect to finish the race.

The course was the same as the previous three days.  It was a half mile out-and-back, followed by five laps of a 5.14 mile circuit.  The circuit was a 5K loop with a long out-and-back tacked onto one end.  There were aid stations at the start/finish and at the end of the long out-and-back.  As usual, we started at 6:00 AM, so the first lap was in the dark.

Yesterday, my flashlight was acting flaky.  After yesterday’s race, I made sure the batteries and contacts were dry.  Every time I tested it, it worked fine – until just before today’s race.  Then it started acting flaky again.  I’d turn it on, and it would go off again.

As I expected, JC included me in his pre-race announcements.  Now everyone knew I was shooting for my 250th sub4 marathon.  They were all rooting for me, but the pressure was on.

Justin ran with me for the initial out-and-back and the first full lap.  He had a light that worked.  He’s done other races in this park, so he was familiar with the 5K loop.  I was now familiar with the whole route.  Between the two of us, we had no trouble recognizing all the turns.

On the initial out-and-back, I found the pace to be a little tiring.  Our time for the out-and-back was 4:22.  That’s a little faster than a four hour pace, but it shouldn’t have felt tiring.

As we ran the first half of the first full lap, I still found the pace to be tiring.  More than once, I told Justin the pace was too fast for me.  When we got to the aid station at the far end of the out-and-back section, I checked my watch.  I fully expected it would be much faster than the other days.  It wasn’t.  To be on schedule for a four hour finish, we needed to reach that aid station in 28 minutes.  We got there in less than 27 minutes.  We were more than a minute fast, but it wasn’t as fast as yesterday.  It felt much more tiring today, which was distressing.

By now, Justin knew he would only be running one lap.  He was noticing his leg.  He could finish the lap, but didn’t want to risk a more severe injury by running any farther.

As we got closer to the end of the lap, I realized why I was so tired.  It was the humidity.  On Friday, it was also 100 percent humidity, but it was only 62 degrees.  On Saturday, it was 68 degrees.  Today, it was 73 degrees.  When the air is warmer, it can hold more moisture.  100 percent humidity when it’s 73 degrees is stifling.  My sweat wasn’t evaporating at all, so I was heating up more.  That made the pace feel much more tiring.

Now I fully appreciated how much the rain helped me yesterday.  It was 70 degrees with 100 percent humidity, but the constant drizzle kept me cool.  I was really wishing we’d get some rain today.  I didn’t want a thunderstorm, but some light rain would help a lot.  Today turned out to be the only day with no rain during the race.

I started to seriously question whether I could break four hours today.  I wasn’t even to the end of my first lap, and I already felt tired.  I had to do four more laps, and it would only get hotter.  Today was my last race of this series, so I didn’t need to save anything for tomorrow.  I was willing to turn myself inside out to break four hours, but I started to question whether it would be possible.  With everyone rooting for me, I had to try.

As we were finishing the lap, Justin suggested that I start pouring water over my head at the aid stations.  I’ve done that before, but I was reluctant, because it always gets my shoes wet.  Realizing Justin was right, I drank a glass of Gatorade and poured a glass of water over my head.

After the first full lap, I was more than two minutes ahead of a four hour pace.  Justin stopped, and I ran the remaining laps on my own.  Now I had to pace myself.  I wondered how much I would slow down.  I wanted to run at a four hour pace, but I didn’t actually need to run as fast as the first lap.  I could slow down by at least two minutes per lap.  As it turns out, I didn’t slow down at all.  Pouring water over my head really helped.  I started the second lap feeling refreshed.  The pace I set on my own was about the same as the pace I ran when Justin was pacing me.  It felt a little tiring at times, but not as tiring as it did in the first lap.

On the loop part of the course, I didn’t see any other runners.  When I got to the out-and-back section, I saw several runners who were still coming back from the aid station on their first lap.  A few of them asked where Justin was, and I had to explain that he stopped so he wouldn’t make an injury worse.

When I got to the far aid station again, I once again drank some Gatorade and poured some water over my head.  I did that at every aid station for the rest of the race.  I was now another minute ahead of a four hour pace.  I didn’t slow down at all.

Leaving the aid station, I immediately felt a breeze.  Now that I was wet, it really cooled me off.  Unfortunately, I only felt it briefly.  As soon as I turned to enter a heavily wood section of the course, I couldn’t feel the wind any more.

Yesterday, I tried various forms of self-talk, tweaking the message on each lap.  What I told myself now was “Manage your effort.”  I wanted to work hard enough to stay on a good pace, but I had to be careful not to blow up in the heat.  At times, I picked up my effort.  At other times, I eased up.  I was listening to my body and paying attention to where there were small hills.  That worked.  I was working, but I wasn’t wearing myself out.

As I got back onto the 5K loop, there was another section where I briefly felt the wind.  I didn’t feel it often, but when I did, it really helped.  The two places where I always felt the wind were just after the far aid station and just before getting back to the main aid station.

At the end of two laps, my time was faster than any of the other days.  I was already six minutes ahead of a four hour pace.  I saw the next lap as the make-or-break lap.  If I was still doing OK after three laps, I could probably tough it out for the last two.  I didn’t need to gain any time on this lap, but I wanted to preserve that six minute cushion, it case I needed to start giving it back over the last two laps.

Consciously, I was telling myself to relax and not work as hard in this lap.  I’m not sure what I was telling myself subconsciously.  When I got to the aid station in the middle of the lap, I fully expected to see that I had neither gained nor lost time.  In fact, I was still running faster than necessary.  Now I was almost seven minutes ahead of schedule.  I was on pace to break 3:47.

I was more than half done, but I would feel much more confident when I only had two laps to go.  I wanted to get there with a six minute cushion.  I could afford to give a minute back and still feel confident.

In the second half of that lap, I started to feel discomfort in my right shoe.  It was my insole slipping forward in my shoe.  The same thing happened yesterday.  It was a different pair of shoes and a different pair of insoles, but they were the same orthotics, and the same style of shoes and insoles.  Yesterday I had water in my shoes from the rain.  Today, it was mostly sweat.  It was uncomfortable but it wasn’t going to stop me.  If anything, it made me run faster.  The discomfort made me want to get done.

When I finished that lap, I had a nine minute cushion.  It was my fastest three lap split of the series.  Now I was in a good position.  The pace wasn’t wearing me down as much as I expected, and I could afford to start giving back time.  As I left the aid station, my tentative plan was to just float through the fourth lap and then run hard in the fifth lap.

Pouring water over my head really helped, but it was short-lived.  I wouldn’t even get a mile into the next lap before I would start feeling hot again.  Meanwhile, I started having trouble with the insole in my left shoe.  The one in my right shoe had moved into a position where it was no longer causing discomfort.  The one in my left shoe felt uncomfortable.  Instead of floating through that lap, I picked up my effort again.

At the halfway point of that lap, I once again had my fastest split of the series.  I had 7.71 miles to go and more than 80 minutes to do it.  I could afford to slow down by more than a minute per mile.  Still, I wanted to carry that into the last lap.  Yesterday, I started my last lap with 57 minutes to run the last 5.14 miles.  I wanted to be in that position again.  As I began the trip back from the aid station, I told myself, “Don’t slack off, but don’t blow up.”

That seemed to work.  When I finished that lap, I once again had more than 57 minutes to run the last 5.14 miles.  Now a sub four hour finish was in the bag.

As I started running my last lap, I saw a few runners coming back toward me.  You don’t normally have two-way traffic on the 5K loop.  These were half marathoners who were completing the out-and-back that they needed to do after their second full lap.  As I passed them, I congratulated them, because I knew they were finishing.  They congratulated me, because they knew I was having another strong race.

I also saw runners coming back when I got to the out-and-back section.  The last runner I saw before the aid station was “Cowboy Jeff.”  He looked at his watch and said, “I hope you’re on your last lap.”  I confirmed I was, and I was on a solid pace.

At the start of that lap, I was planning to take the first half easy and then finish strong in the second half.  It didn’t turn out that way.  The encouragement from the other runners kept me motivated.  At the aid station, I once again had my fastest split of the series.  I had just over 35 minutes to run the last half lap.  I usually ran it in 22 minutes.

It occurred to me that with a strong enough finish, I could have my fastest time of the series.  If I did that, I would also have negative splits for the day.  I wanted to pour it on, but I felt a bit sluggish as I left the aid station.  I still needed to manage my effort.

It wasn’t until I got back onto the 5K loop that I had the confidence to speed up.  Now I only had 1.6 miles to go.  I wouldn’t blow up in the last 1.6 miles, so I sped up as much as I could and still sustain the pace for 1.6 miles.

I started looking for the permanent mile markers painted on the pavement.  When I got to the 2.0 marker, I knew I had 1.2 miles to go.  I wasn’t confident I could go any faster and sustain it for 1.2 miles.  At the 2.5 marker, I only had 0.7 miles to go.  I still couldn’t go any faster without running out of gas before the finish.

Finally, I reached the white circle that marks the turnaround of the initial out-and-back.  From there, it’s a quarter mile to the finish.  It was slightly uphill from there to the last turn, but I still accelerated.  I saw someone waiting for me at the turn.  I initially assumed it was JC.  When I got closer, I saw it was Justin.  He came back to cheer me in.

I was still going uphill, but he reminded me it would soon be downhill to the finish.  I sped up so much that I put myself into oxygen debt.  I was gasping for air before reaching the finish.  I kept up my effort all the way to the line.  Then I kept going past the aid station.  In front of me, I saw a picnic table.  I went straight to it and sat down.  It took me several minutes to catch my breath before I could stand again.

My finish time was 3:46:54. I was slightly disappointed, because I didn’t beat my time from Friday.  I was seven seconds slower.  Even though the pace felt too tiring in my first lap, I went on to run even splits.

I broke 3:50 in all four races, which was well beyond my expectations.  A year ago, I couldn’t run that fast in one race, even with ideal weather conditions.  That’s how much I’ve improved in the last year.

I wanted to get something to drink, but first I had to make a bathroom stop.  Then I returned to the aid station to get my medal and have some post-race snacks.


By now, JC was there, and he gave me a can of coconut juice.  That really hit the spot.  I didn’t need to be in any hurry to leave, so I spent the next 90 minutes talking with Justin and the other runners.

I didn’t get back to the hotel until two hours after finishing the race.  That’s OK.  I didn’t need to take an ice bath today.  I still had one more slice of cinnamon bread and at least three pints of chocolate milk.  I had those in lieu of lunch.  I’ll eat a real meal later in the day.

Originally, this series was all about getting my sixth quadzilla state.  I did that, but I did much more.  I got four more sub4 marathon finishes, and I won all four races.  I’m ready for a rest day.


Race Statistics
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  3:46:54
Average Pace:  8:39
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  398
Sub 4 Hour Marathons:  250
Quadzilla States:  6

No comments:

Post a Comment