Sunday, May 28, 2023

Race Report: 2023 Coeur d'Alene Marathon

On May 28, I ran the Coeur d’Alene Marathon in northern Idaho.  When I ran this race in 2017, I started to have unusual pains on the left side of my chest.  It turned out to be a nerve impingement from a herniated disk.  That injury required surgery.  It took a long time to heal, but I eventually made a full recovery.  I didn’t have any problems this year.

Most of my recent trips have been longer trips that included sightseeing.  This was a quick trip.  I was just there to run the marathon.

The closest major airport to Coeur d’Alene is in Spokane, WA.  I was able to get a direct flight to Spokane.  From there, it’s a 40-mile drive to Coeur d’Alene.  I flew to Spokane on Saturday and arrived at my hotel in Coeur d’Alene in the early afternoon.

Packet pickup was at McEuen Park, which is on the shore of Lake Coeur d’Alene.  This park is also where the race starts and finishes.  They had a small expo set up in the park.


The race T-shirt had a design in the shape of Idaho.  I was surprised that it said, “Finisher,” because we got the shirt at packet pickup.

I wanted to get to bed early, so I had an early dinner.  I found a brick oven pizza place that I could walk to from my hotel.  They opened at 4:00, and I was there when they opened.  After dinner, I walked to a brewery that was about a mile from the pizza place.

I always pay close attention to weather forecasts for race day, but I often forget to check the forecast for the day before or the day after.  The last time I looked, there wasn’t any rain in the forecast for Saturday evening.  Apparently, that forecast was out of date.

As I was walking from the pizzeria to the brewery, I felt a little bit of light drizzle.  It was more like a mist.  I wasn’t wearing a jacket, so I quickened my pace.  I assumed, naively, that it would be done before I walked back to the hotel.

I had a beer flight and started talking to the bartender and two other guys at the bar.  When I left, it was sprinkling.

I ducked back inside to check my weather app.  I wondered if the rain would stop soon if I waited a little longer.  My app said a thunderstorm was going to start in 16 minutes.  I looked at radar, and it was obvious that it was only going to get worse if I waited.

I started walking to the hotel, but at a brisk pace.  Then the sky opened up.  It rained so hard that there were rivers of rainwater flowing through the streets.  It was still more than a mile to my hotel, so I started running.  There’s a limit to how fast you can run when you’re wearing wet street clothes, and you have a phone in your pocket.  By the time I got back to the hotel, my clothes and shoes were soaked.  Fortunately, they weren’t the same shoes I was planning to wear for the race.

I still managed to get to bed early, but I only slept for half the night.  Then I was awake for three or four hours before finally falling asleep again.

I needed to leave the hotel before they started their breakfast.  I don’t usually eat much before a race, but I wanted to eat something.  I bought a small package of cookies from the hotel pantry and made a cup of hot cocoa.

The race started at 6:30.  There’s a large parking lot at McEuen Park, but I didn’t know how easy it would be to find a parking spot that was close to the race.  When I was there for the expo, the parking lot was full.

To make sure I could get a close parking spot, I arrived more than an hour early.  That was excessive.  When the race started, there were still plenty of close parking spaces available.  I could’ve arrived at the last minute.

The temperature at the start was in the mid-50s.  I find that to be ideal for running a marathon.  It was warm enough that I could wear shorts without worrying about my legs getting cold.  I expected it to warm up about 10 degrees by the time I finished.  Some people might find that to be too hot, but I’m not bothered by temperatures in the low 60s.

While I was driving to the race, it was raining lightly.  When I got to McEuen Park, the rain had stopped, but I still felt a fine mist in the air.  That ended before the race started.

The grass was wet, so it was impossible to walk to one of the port-o-potties without getting your shoes wet.  Then I discovered that the building where they held packet pickup had bathrooms, and they were open.  Hardly anyone seemed to know about these bathrooms.  There wasn’t any line to use them.

When I ran this race before, the course was a double loop.  Each loop included a long out-and-back section.  The course only had one big hill, but it was on this out-and-back section, so I had to run it four times (twice in each direction).

The course has been changed since then.  The new course has two different out-and-back sections, each starting and finishing at McEuen Park.  The first out-and-back includes the same big hill I remembered.  I had to run it twice (once from each side).  The second out-and-back just has one big hill.  It’s uphill as you climb out of a river valley.  The top of the hill is at the turnaround point.  Then it’s downhill coming back.  The rest of the course isn’t flat, but there aren’t any other hills big enough for me to worry about them.

Four weeks ago, I broke four hours on a course that was mostly flat, except for a bridge that we crossed twice.  I wanted to see if I could break four hours on this course, which is more challenging.

Two weeks ago, I ran a course with gentle rolling hills, and I found it to be tiring.  Since then, I’ve worked larger hills into my training whenever I could.  I’ve worked hard to be able to take steep hills without slowing down, often pushing myself into oxygen debt.  I came into this race confident that I would be prepared for the hills.

I had two goals for this race.  The first was to beat 3:59:21.  That was my previous best time this year.  My second goal was to run negative splits.

They had pace groups, but I didn’t see anyone holding a 4:00 sign.  I asked the 4:15 pacer if there was a 4:00 group.  He said there was supposed to be one, but the 4:00 pacer didn’t show up.  Then I saw he was carrying both the 4:00 and 4:15 signs.  He was originally going to pace the 4:15 group, but he made a last-minute decision to lead the 4:00 group instead.  That meant there wasn’t a 4:15 group.  He was assuming there would be more people interested in running a 4:00 pace.

When I found out he was going to be pacing for 4:00, I asked him how he was planning to handle pacing over the big hills.  He said he was planning to start at a 9:00 per mile pace.  That’s a little bit faster than the 9:09 pace you need to finish in four hours, but it would allow us to give back about a minute on each of the three big hills.  That’s exactly how I would’ve paced it if I had to set my own pace, so I started with him and just followed him until we reached the first big hill.

As we started running, the pace felt a little tiring, but I stuck with it.  The first block or two may have been slightly uphill.  Soon, we reached a downhill stretch, and the pace suddenly felt much easier.

We started a little faster than a 9:00 pace.  For the first five miles, every mile was 8:55 or faster.  Our pacer wasn’t too worried about that, as he planned to give back the time on the hills.

As we got out of town, we were running on the Northern Idaho Centennial Trail.  This was a paved trail that followed the shore of Coeur d’Alene Lake.  We usually had a nice cool breeze off the lake.

Although there are only three big hills, the rest of the course isn’t completely flat.  There are lots of smaller undulations.  Most of the time, I found our pace to be comfortable, but occasionally it felt slightly tiring on an uphill section.

In the sixth mile, we reached the first big hill.  We didn’t worry about staying on pace.  We just took it at a pace that felt manageable.  I found this hill to be tiring, but I ran a pace that wouldn’t break me.  We could be as slow as 10 minutes in this mile and still be on pace.  We ended up running it in 9:11.

The next mile was downhill.  Without trying at all to speed up, I ran it in 8:36.  So far, we were averaging better than nine minutes, even including the first big hill.

The aid stations usually had bottles of water and cups filled with Gatorade.  I always drank the Gatorade.  At seven miles, we reached an aid station that only had bottles of water.  I decided to skip that aid station and wait for the next one.  As it turned out, the next aid station was this same one on the way back.

The turnaround for the first out-and-back was at about eight miles.  Just before the turnaround, we had to go up a hill.  It was steep enough that it forced me to slow down.  Fortunately, it wasn’t very long.  After turning around, we went back down the hill.  To run comfortably down that hill, I had to shorten my stride.

When we got back to the aid station that just had water, I decided I couldn’t afford to skip it again.  I took a bottle of water and slowed to a walk while drinking as much as I could.  I didn’t want to carry it with me, so I discarded the rest of the bottle.  I hate to waste water, but this was the only aid station where I had to do that.  The rest all had Gatorade in cups.

This aid station had a port-o-potty that wasn’t occupied, so our pace leader handed his sign to one of the other runners and told us he would catch up to us as soon as he could.  We were about to start up the second big hill, so he had to work hard to catch up.

Approaching the hill from this direction, it was longer, but more gradual.  Before the hill, our average pace was under nine minutes per mile.  The hill started in mile nine and continued into mile ten.  We ran those miles in 9:13 and 9:15, respectively.  By then, our pace leader had rejoined the group.

Without trying, I picked up my pace on the downhill side, but I didn’t run excessively fast.  I simply ran a little bit fast while feeling like I was getting a rest break.

After about 11 miles, I was talking to another runner, and the two of us were getting out in front of the group.  At times, the pace felt tiring.  I wanted to slow down, but I was enjoying our conversation.  More than once, I told him I would have to slow down.  Then he slowed down too.  It was never long, though, before we were going too fast again.  We were running a pace in the low 8:50s.

At halfway, I was on pace to finish in about 3:55.  At this point, I was pretty confident about beating 3:59:21, but I thought I had sabotaged my chances of running negative splits by running the first half too fast.

As we got back into town, we were on city streets for a couple miles.  We knew we were way ahead of the 4:00 group, so we took a short walking break on a small hill.  In the next mile, there was a steeper hill.  I walked most of the hill, and then noticed the guy I was talking to earlier had fallen behind and never caught up, even though I was walking.

When I reached the top of that hill, I was running by myself, so I decided to see if I could get back to my previous pace.  Now that I was well into the second half of the race, I was more willing to put some effort into my pace.  I had not yet given up on running negative splits, although it seemed optimistic.

Coming back through McEuen Park, I picked up my pace.  Miles 15 and 16 had taken 9:23 and 9:08 respectively.  Now I wanted to see if I could gradually make up the lost time and get my average pace back into the 8:50s.

I ran mile 17 in 8:44.  If I could keep up that pace, I would run negative splits, but I still had nine miles to go.  I took it one mile at a time and kept pushing.

I was now on the second out-and-back, which was on the west side of town.  I was back on the Northern Idaho Centennial Trail, but now the trail was following the Spokane River.

A few miles earlier, the sun was peeking through the clouds.  I wondered if the second half of the race would get hot if the sun came out completely.  That never happened.  There was a nice cool breeze blowing through the river valley, and it gradually got cloudy again.  I didn’t feel any warmer in the second half than I did in the first half.  I always felt comfortable.

I kept up my effort in mile 18, but slowed slightly.  I ran that mile in 8:46.  That was still fast enough.  That gave me enough confidence, that I sped up to 8:34 in the next mile.  That was my fastest mile so far.  It was faster than I had run earlier in a downhill mile.

After that, it got tougher.  In mile 20, I slowed to 8:44 again.  I felt like I was working just as hard, so it was a bit discouraging to be 10 seconds slower than the previous mile.  It turns out there was a good reason for that.

I knew at some point we would start going uphill, but I didn’t study the elevation profile closely enough to know exactly where the hill would start.  I knew the turnaround for this out-and-back was somewhere close to 21 miles.  That was only a mile away, so I expected the hill to start at any time.

When I saw the 3:45 pace group coming back, I knew I was getting closer.  I couldn’t have been more than seven minutes from the turnaround.

Before I knew it, my watch recorded a split for mile 21.  It was 9:01.  It was really discouraging to slow down to nine minutes before even reaching the hill.  Then I looked ahead and saw the turnaround.  I was almost done with the hill.  It was so gradual that I never noticed when I started running uphill.

After making the turn, I could immediately feel the difference.  The grade was gradual, but I was definitely going downhill now.  I was able to speed up substantially.

I started looking for the 4:00 group.  When we passed each other, the 4:00 pacer told me I was on my way to 3:55.  That’s the time I needed to beat if I was going to run negative splits.  Now that I was running downhill, I was confident I could do it.

I must’ve been running uphill without realizing it for a long time.  Now I had a gradual downgrade for a long time.  I ran mile 22 in 8:17.  About halfway through the next mile, I saw the river in front of me.  I had never noticed when the trail turned away from the river valley.  Climbing out of the valley, it was all uphill, and returning it was all downhill.

Even after making the turn and following the river again, there seemed to be a slight downhill trend.  I was following the river downstream towards the lake.

For the rest of the race, my pace was in the 8:30s.  I could afford to slow down a little, but I didn’t want to let up.  To maintain my effort, I started to focus on reeling in and passing the runners in front of me.

The breeze through the valley was stronger now.  The temperature was probably in the 60s by now, but I felt cooler than at any time during the race.

In the last mile, the course went through a park and had lots of turns.  I remembered going through this park in the opposite direction.  Wherever two sections of sidewalk weren’t flush with each other, it was marked with red paint.  Most of those spots didn’t strike me as trip hazards, but I appreciated the warning to pay attention to my footing.

As I came back into McEuen Park, I saw the pavilion.  I knew where the finish line was, but I had to go past the pavilion and approach the finish from the other side.  At 26 miles, I still couldn’t see the finish line.  I had to make one more turn first.

I finished in 3:52:38.  Despite taking the first half faster than planned, I ran negative splits by more than two minutes.

The finisher medal is in the shape of Idaho.  I want to eventually run at least five marathons in every state, and this was my fifth Idaho marathon.  I’m done with Idaho now.


I’m pleased to have reached both of my goals, but I’m even more pleased to have done it so decisively.

I belong to a club called 50sub4.  The common goal is to run a sub-4 hour marathon in every state.  I’ve already done that twice.  I even set the bar higher and qualified for Boston in every state.  In the last two years, however, I’ve rarely broken four hours.

Until today, I felt like I had imposter syndrome.  When I got together with other 50sub4 members or posed for a group picture, I questioned whether I still belonged.  Now, I feel like I’m back.

After a race, I’m usually sick of drinking Gatorade.  Today was an exception.  They had bottles of water and Gatorade at the finish line, and I couldn’t wait to drink a bottle of Gatorade.

They had a variety of post-race food, but I went straight to the pizza.  By the time I finished my pizza and Gatorade, they were starting the awards ceremony.  I didn’t win my age group, but I had a good enough race that I actually wondered if it was possible.

When I got back to the hotel, the shoes I was wearing the night before were still wet.  I eventually had to use a hair dryer to get them dry enough to wear to dinner.  That wasn’t an immediate concern.  After having a slice of post-race pizza, I didn’t feel like I needed to go out again until dinner time.  I spent the afternoon relaxing at the hotel, including a nice soak in the whirlpool.  While I was in the pool area, I met another runner who also does race-walking and ultras.  We had a nice conversation.

For dinner, I decided to stay as close to the hotel as possible.  There’s a Red Robin across the street from my hotel.  I usually prefer local restaurants to chain restaurants, but one of my friends posted that it was National Hamburger Day.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  3:52:38
Average Pace:  8:52 per mile
First Half:  1:57:27 (estimate)
Second Half:  1:55:11 (estimate)
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  483
Idaho Marathons:  5

1 comment: