Sunday, June 4, 2023

Race Report: 2023 FANS Ultras

On June 3, I ran the FANS 6-Hour race.  This is one of the FANS Ultras, which also include a 12-hour race and a 24-hour race.  I’ve been going to FANS regularly since 1998.  When I’m not competing in one of the races, I’m usually volunteering or crewing for John Greene, who often competes as a race-walker.  This year, I did a little bit of everything.  I ran the 6-hour run, volunteered later as a lap counter, and checked in on John’s race in between.

Last year, I did the 24-hour race, even though I didn’t really train for it.  I might have been tempted to do it again, but I have a marathon next weekend.  One week is enough time to bounce back from a 6-hour race, but I need a minimum of two weeks to recover from a 24-hour race.  Even that’s a stretch.

The races were held at Normandale Lake in Bloomington, MN.  Our course was a paved 1.82 mile loop around the lake.  All three races started at 8:00 AM on Saturday.

I stayed at a hotel that was only half a mile from the course.  Normally, I would just stay at home, but MNDOT just started a construction project on I-494, and I didn’t know if there would be delays.  With no traffic and no construction, the drive time is normally about 20 minutes.  With construction, it could easily have been twice that.  I needed to drive back and forth a few times during the weekend, so staying close was a time saver.

I went to bed early, but it took me about four hours to get to sleep.  I only got about four hours of sleep, but I was able to shake that off.  It would’ve been a bigger deal if I was doing the 24-hour race.

There’s an area on the west side of the lake where we could set up tents.  We arrived at 6:00 AM so we could get a good tent site.  We didn’t actually need that much time to set up, so we had some time to relax before the race.  Having a tent gave us a dry place to store our gear if it rained.  In past years, we’ve sometimes had to race through long periods of rain.  It also gave us a place to change clothes, if necessary.  I was only running for six hours, so I could’ve got by without a tent, but John was doing the 24-hour race.  He was planning to stop periodically to change shoes and socks and recover from the heat, so the tent was more important for him.

Photo credit: Betty Greene

After we set up our tent and unloaded our gear, John and I checked in at the medical tent for our pre-race weigh-in.  Then we went to the finish line area to meet our lap counters.

It was a hot day.  The temperature was already in the low 70s when the race started, and it was forecast to get above 90 in the afternoon.  It was hot enough that I had to have a strategy for coping with the heat.  If I was doing the 24-hour race, I would be doing as much walking as running, and that would make it easier to dissipate excess heat.  In a 6-hour race, I’m mostly running, so I could easily overheat.

I brought a small cooler filled with ice cubes, so I could put ice cubes in my hat.  I’ve done that at other hot weather races, and I’ve found it to be an effective way to cope with the heat.

When I signed up for this race, I wasn’t planning to run competitively.  There’s usually at least one runner who can put up 40+ miles, and I don’t have that in me.  I was just going to run at a comfortable pace and put in at least 50K.  When I saw how hot it would be, I started to wonder if that would work in my favor.  I tend to hold up better in hot weather than most runners.  More than once, I’ve been able to win a race like this because I kept running while other runners had to take rest breaks.

About 10 minutes before the start, we walked out to the starting line for pre-race instructions.  We started the first lap in a different location than all the other laps, so it was a little bit shorter.  They do that so people in the 24-hour race can hit the 100-mile mark right at the end of a lap.  100 miles is a common goal for the 24-hour race.

I wore one of those cooling bandanas that you soak in water and then tie loosely around your neck.  I felt the water dripping from it as I walked to the start, but I didn’t notice it much once I started running.

I expected the fastest runners would be other 6-hour runners.  I lined up close to the front, so I could see who went out fast.  Four runners went out faster than everyone else.  I followed them.  I didn’t try to keep up with them, but I stayed close enough to keep them in sight for the first mile.  I wanted to get a feel for how fast the other 6-hour runners were starting.

Photo credit: Betty Greene

With our race packets, we received a list of all the runners.  We each had an opportunity to list a goal when we registered.  Many of the runners didn’t list a goal, but one runner in the 6-hour race had a goal of 40 miles.  I didn’t know him, but I kept an eye on him for the first mile.  It looked like he ran the first mile in nine minutes or faster, which put him on pace for 40 miles.  Whether he and the other fast runners could keep up that pace remained to be seen.  Anyone starting too fast can blow up when it gets hot.

I ran the first mile in 9:14, which I knew was an unsustainable pace.  Over the next several miles, I gradually relaxed.  Each mile was slower than the previous one until my pace stabilized in the 9:50s.

My sister, Betty, was going to be doing lap counting from 2:00 to 8:00 PM, but before her shift started, she had an opportunity to walk a few laps around the lake.  She was walking in the opposite direction as the runners, so she could take pictures.  The first time I saw Betty, I asked her how many of the runners ahead of me had bib numbers in the 300s.  Those were the other 6-hour runners.  The next time I saw her she told me at least two of the runners ahead of me were in the 6-hour race.

Photo credit: Betty Greene

There were two aid stations on the course.  Each one had water, Gatorade, and a variety of food.  I didn’t eat any food, but I drank Gatorade every time I passed an aid station.  I also kept a couple bottles of Gatorade at our campsite.  If necessary, I could drink three times per lap.  I expected staying hydrated would be challenging as the temperature climbed.

The lap counters were under a tent next to where we finished each lap.  I had finished my sixth lap and was stopping briefly to drink some Gatorade when I heard one of the lap counters calling out #311.  That was the bib number of the runner who started the fastest.  He was already finishing his second lap.

By now, I had been running for almost two hours.  The next time I came by our tent, I stopped to put ice cubes in my hat.  The ice cubes gradually melted on the top of my head, keeping me from getting too hot.  When I finished my next lap, I felt the back of my hat to see if any ice cubes were still there.  I could still feel a sizeable lump, so I waited another lap before adding more ice cubes.  For the majority of the race, I refilled my hat every other lap.

With the ice cubes in my hat, I started to run a little faster.  My slowest miles were about 10 minutes, but my faster ones were closer to 9:30.  I wasn’t trying to stay on any particular pace.  I was just going by feel.  I ran at a pace that was slightly more relaxed than my marathon pace.

In the past, whenever I’ve put ice cubes in my hat, the water gradually ran down my back and legs, and would eventually get into my shoes.  That didn’t happen this time.  I eventually realized the ice water from my hat would run down my neck and then get absorbed by the bandana I was wearing.  The bandana got to be ice cold, and it prevented the water from running down my back.

I saw Betty again, and she told me that two of the 6-hour runners were a lap ahead of me.

Putting ice cubes in my hat was my first line of defense against overheating, but I still didn’t think I would be able to run continuously for the whole race without overheating.  I assumed I would eventually need to take short walking breaks to dissipate excess heat.  I never did.

It was mostly cloudy, and I sometimes felt a cool breeze off the lake.  I was able to run comfortably, so I kept on running without any walking breaks.

I hit the 18-mile mark in about 2:55.  That wasn’t a surprise.  To finish 18 miles in three hours, you need to average 10 minutes per mile.  Most of my miles were faster than 10 minutes.  What was surprising is how the comfortable the pace felt.

As I ran through “tent city” on the west side of the lake, I caught up to one of the 6-hour runners who was a lap ahead of me.  This was a runner who has done FANS before.  He asked me what my goal was.  I said I wanted to get into the mid-30s.  What I didn’t say was that I was hoping to win, but I needed him and another runner to both blow up.

I mentioned that the heat wasn’t bothering me as much as I thought it would.  He said he was expecting it to be worse, but the cloud cover was really helping.  From our conversation, it didn’t seem likely that he would blow up.  He looked strong, and he sounded like he was just as comfortable as I was.  I ran with him for a couple minutes, but then he began to pull away and add to his lead.

After three hours, I was on pace to run 37 miles.  Before the race, I didn’t think 36 miles was a realistic goal for the conditions.  I didn’t think I’d stay on pace for 37, but getting to 36 miles now seemed much more realistic.

I had assumed I would need to drink three times per lap to stay hydrated, but I felt bloated just drinking at the two aid stations.  I had Gatorade in a cooler at our tent, but I held off on drinking it.  We were required to weigh in every four hours, so the medical staff could tell if anyone was getting dehydrated.  I decided to stick with only two cups of Gatorade per lap until I weighed in.

Just before noon, I stopped at the medical tent to weigh in.  My weight was up a pound since the beginning of the weight.  It might have just been water in my clothes and my bandana, but I had to consider the possibility that I was drinking too much Gatorade.  After all, I did feel like I was drinking all I could stomach.  I decided to stay the course and keep drinking only twice per lap.

There was a sign marking the completion of a marathon, when we passed it in our 15th lap.  I got there in 4:16:18.  Just a few months ago, I couldn’t run a marathon that fast, even in cooler weather.  I couldn’t believe I did it on a hot day while still feeling like I had enough gas in the tank to run for another hour and 44 minutes.

Even if I slowed down a little, I easily had enough time to run 10 more miles.  There was very little doubt in my mind that I would get to 36 miles.

As it got closer to the start of her volunteer shift, Betty went to the lap counting tent.  That gave her an opportunity to see exactly where I stood compared to the other 6-hour runners.  When I finished a lap, Betty told me I had moved into second place.

Photo credit: Betty Greene

When I finished my 17th lap, my total elapsed time was 5:02.  I now had less than an hour to go, which meant I had the option of switching to the “short” course.  The short course is an out-and-back course that’s 1/8 mile each way.  If you start a lap around the lake and don’t finish it before the time limit, it doesn’t count.  The short course if a way to keep piling up additional mileage when there isn’t time to do a “big” lap.

I had yet to take more than 18 minutes for a lap, so I had time to run a few more big laps.  Once I was on the short course, I wouldn’t pass an aid station again, so I wouldn’t have any opportunity to drink more Gatorade.  I also wouldn’t pass my tent, so I wouldn’t be able to add any more ice to my hat.  I didn’t want to go without ice or fluids for almost an hour, so I kept doing big laps.

By now, it only took one lap for the ice in my hat to melt, so I started refilling my hat every lap.

I ran comfortably for one more lap.  Then the sun came out.  Some parts of the course are shady, but the east side of the lake is fairly exposed.  When I got there on my 19th lap, I started to really feel hot.  I also started to get tired on the hills.  The loop is mostly rolling, but the hills never bothered me until this lap.

When I finished my 19th lap, I had about 22 minutes to go.  I could’ve started another big lap, but it was risky.  You never know when the heat will get to you.  When it does, you can slow down dramatically.  I didn’t want to risk starting a lap I might not be able to finish, so I switched the short course.

I wouldn’t get any more ice or fluids, but the short course was on a flat section of the loop, and I was looking forward to having flat terrain for the rest of the race.  I thought I could also avoid running through the sunny parts of the course again.  There’s just one thing I didn’t realize.  The short course used to have a fair amount of shade, but four large shade trees have been cut down since last year.  Without those trees, the short course is now much more exposed to the sun.  I ground out as many short laps as I could, but I was always in the sun, so I got hot and thirsty.

The one runner who was still ahead of me was Charles Mahaffy.  He’s the runner I talked to halfway through the race.  When I saw him on the short course, I could see he was still running strong.  He was running short laps much faster than I was.  He went on to win the race with 39.37 miles.  I came in second with 36.42 miles.

After the race, I stayed near the finish line of the short course to wait for the awards for the 6-hour race.  They used to do all awards at the post-race breakfast, but this year they did the awards for the 6-hour and 12-hour races 15 minutes after each race finished.

I wasn’t expecting an award.  I thought they only had awards for the first place male & female.  I was wrong.  They had awards for the top three overall, plus an extra prize for the top male & female.  For hours, I had been pressing on without expecting to win anything.  I was rewarded for my effort with the award for second place overall.  It was a plate made by Danny Ripka, who makes handcrafted pottery.


During the race, I felt like I was drinking all I could stand to drink.  Based on my weigh-in at noon, it seemed more than adequate.  Now, suddenly, I felt completely parched.

On my way back to my tent, I stopped at the medical tent to weigh in.  That’s not required, but I was curious to know if my weight dropped.  I was only down half a pound from my pre-race weight, but I was down a pound and a half since my previous weigh-in, which was only two hours earlier.  It really made a difference when the sun came out.  If I had been doing the 12-hour or 24-hour race, I would’ve needed to work much harder at getting enough fluids.

I was surprised to see the temperature was only 82 degrees.  I was expecting it to be close to 90 by now.  The unexpected cloud cover for the first five hours kept the temperature from climbing too fast.  I nevertheless felt really frail now that I was done.

I stuck around in the finish area until my friend, Mary, finished her next lap.  Mary’s goal was to run enough miles to be inducted into the 500-mile club.  I would have to wait until later to see if she made it.


I also took pictures of the tent city and a few of the more creative campsites.


I went back to the hotel to shower.  In the shower, I discovered I had some sunburn.  I did a good job of applying sunblock in the areas where I’m most prone to burning, but I missed the front of my neck.

After changing clothes, I went back to the lake to see how John was doing.  John has previous walked 100+ miles at this race, but his goal this year was more modest.  He was aiming to walk at least 70 miles.  His plan for coping with the heat was to walk at a brisk pace but take periodic rest breaks to cool down.  When I got back to the lake, John was on a rest break, so I had a chance to ask how it was going.  The sky was now clear, so the heat of the sun was making it more difficult for everyone.

When John started his next lap, I walked to the start/finish area to talk to the lap counters.  I found out that two of the other walkers were on pace for 100 miles.

I waited there until John finished his lap, and then I walked with him until we were almost back to the tent.  Then I left to have dinner.  Other than a bag of Sun Chips, I hadn’t had anything to eat since an early breakfast.  I was starving.

I found a restaurant near the hotel.  After dinner, I was getting sleepy, even though it was only 5:30.  I needed to be back at the lake at 1:30 AM to begin my volunteer shift, so I went to bed as early as I could.  I had to get up at 12:30 AM to get ready for my volunteer shift, but I fell asleep so quickly that I managed to get about six hours of sleep.  That’s more than I got before the race.

My volunteer shift started at 1:30 AM.  When I arrived at the lake, I had to walk from the parking lot on the west side to the lap counting tent near the bandshell.  I brought a flashlight, but I didn’t need it.  There were lanterns lining either side of the path.  In addition, there was a full moon, and it was a clear night.  Usually, it’s cloudy on the weekend of the race.  I don’t remember ever having this much moonlight before.


I’ve done lap counting before, but it was always during the first shift (8:00 AM to 2:00 PM on Saturday).  There are usually six lap counters, and each one is responsible for all the runners in two lap-counting books (18 runners total).  I’ve noticed in the past that they only have a few lap counters during the night, so I assumed they must be pretty busy.  In fact, lap counting during the night isn’t at all hectic.

Once the 6-hour and 12-hour races are done, there are only half as many runners on the course.  On a hot day like this one, as many as a third of the 24=hour runners have either stopped or are taking breaks.  Those who are still on the course aren’t moving as fast at night.  Keeping up isn’t at all difficult.  The hard part is reading the bib numbers in the dark.

We had a nice calm night, with no rain and no wind.  That hasn’t always been the case.  It was hot in the afternoon, but the night was quite pleasant.

Counting laps made it easy to see how people were doing.  The first runner to come by after I started my shift was Mary.  She struggled with the daytime heat and never really recovered from it.  She didn’t get the miles she needed to reach 500, but she did win the best campsite award (again).

I got to see Ed Rousseau reach 3,000 lifetime miles at FANS.  Ed is the only person who has run this race every year.

Of the two walkers who were attempted to walk 100 miles, one made it and the other didn’t.  John finished in the mid-70s, which is about what he was expecting.

Before the race, I met a runner named Tess, who was doing FANS for the first time.  Tess was one of the runners I was responsible for counting, so I was able to follow her progress.  She came in first among the women, with just over 100 miles.  It was cool to see a newcomer have such a successful race.

After the race, Betty, John, and I had to hurry to disassemble our campsite before the post-race breakfast.  After breakfast, there was an awards ceremony.  I already had my award for the 6-hour race, but I got to see Ed, Tess, Mary, and many other people receive their awards.  The awards ceremony always seems too long, because everyone is tired, and there are so many categories of awards.  I still look forward to it, because it’s nice to see people getting recognized for amazing achievements, and there are always a few behind-the-scenes stories


Race statistics:
Distance:  36.42 miles
Time:  6 hours
Average Pace:  9:53 per mile
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  484
Minnesota Marathons/Ultras:  90
Lifetime FANS Miles:  1179.06

No comments:

Post a Comment