Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Appalachian Series: Day 6

On March 27, I ran the sixth race of the Mainly Marathons Appalachian Series.  The Appalachian Series is a seven day series, with marathons in Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Virginia.

I’m not doing the entire series.  I’m just doing the last two races, which are both run on the same course, making it possible for me to stay in the same hotel for both races.  These two races are held in Bluefield, which straddles the border between Virginia and West Virginia.  The course starts in West Virginia and finishes in Virginia.

By the rules of the 50 States Marathon Club, when a race starts and finishes in different states, you can choose which state it counts toward.  I’m counting today’s race as a West Virginia race, because I need one more West Virginia race to finish my fifth circuit of marathons in every state.  Since I’m already here, I’ll stay to run tomorrow’s race as well.

There aren’t any large airports close to Bluefield.  The closest airport that I could reach with a direct flight was Charlotte, NC.  When I left Minneapolis, it was snowing heavily.  Most airports would have shut down.  Thankfully, the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport is well-equipped to handle snowstorms.  They had to de-ice the plane, but they were able to keep the runways open, so we left with only a short delay.

From Charlotte, I had to drive 180 miles to get to my hotel in West Virginia.  Rather than staying in Bluefield, I’m staying in Princeton, WV, which has more lodging options.  Princeton is about 15 miles away from the race venue.

After the drive, my legs were feeling kind of stiff.  I did a workout in the hotel’s fitness room, and then I felt better.

I skipped lunch, so I had an early dinner.  Then I got to bed early, in anticipation of getting up early on race day.

The race started at 7:30 AM, but I had to get there early to pick up my race packet.  People who were doing the whole series already had their race bibs, but I had to pick up mine before the race.  I also had to allow about 25 minutes for the drive.

As is often the case with early races, I left the hotel before they started their breakfast service.  I had a cup of tea and some cookies before leaving the hotel.  If necessary, I could eat more food during the race.

They offered an early start at 6:30 for runners who wanted extra time.  When I arrived in the start area, they were doing pre-race announcements for the 6:30 group.  I was only expecting to see six to eight runners doing the early start.  I was surprised to see dozens of runners gathered around the starting line.  All the friends I was expecting to see at this race were doing the early start.  That made me wonder if I should do the early start too.

One of the runners in the early start was Tim Mahler.  Tim is usually one of the faster runners.  Sometimes, he’s the only runner starting at the same pace that I run.  I had been hoping to run a few laps with Tim at the beginning of the race.  To do that, I would need to do the early start.

I had another reason to consider starting early.  There was a chance of a passing shower later in the morning.  The earlier I started, the more likely it was that I could finish running before the rain started.

I decided to do the early start, but I only had about eight minutes to get ready.  I had to pick up my race packet, pin my race bib to my T-shirt, take off my warm-up pants and put them in the car.  Fill my bottle with Gatorade, and put it on one of the tables at the aid station, put my drop bag in the designated spot, make a bathroom stop, and put my gloves on.  Ideally, I would’ve taken off my jacket, but I didn’t have enough time.

The temperature at the start was in the mid-40s, but I expected it to warm into the low 50s by the time I finished.  I was comfortable starting the race with my jacket, but I knew I would need to take it off at some point.  I could find time for that later.

The course was 12 laps of an out-and-back route through Litito City Park.  It’s a hilly route.  I’ve run it before when I was in better shape, and I had to work hard to break four hours.  This year, I decided to run at a conservative pace, partly because it’s a challenging course, but mostly because I have to run the same course again tomorrow.

There was one aid station, which was in the start/finish area.  We would go by it after every lap.  In addition to water and Gatorade, they had a variety of food.  It was more like the aid stations in a trail race than what you typically see at a marathon.

The start/finish area was in a parking lot next to the park.  We started by running along two sides of the parking lot.  This part of the course was flat.  Next, we entered the park and ran a loop that went almost all the way around the park.  Just before completing this loop, we had to turn around and go back the way we came.  Going around this loop, we went up and down several small hills.  Four of them were steep enough to be tiring.  After turning around, we had to run the same hills in the opposite direction.  Here’s the elevation profile that my watch measured during the race.

The first lap was different from the others.  Our start/finish area was in Virginia.  Litito City Park is also in Virginia.  In order to start the race in West Virginia, we had to start behind this row of traffic cones, which were set up along the state line.  Oddly, the state line cuts right through the parking lot.

That made the first lap longer than all the others.  To compensate for that, the last lap had a different finish line, making it a little bit shorter.

I started the race with Tim.  We ran the first lap at a relaxed pace.  Our average pace for that lap was about 10 minutes per mile.  On a flat course, I would find that pace comfortable for the whole race.  On this course, I knew it would get tiring.

I was comfortable running with my jacket on for one lap, but then I had to take it off and tie it around my waist.  Running up and down these hills was making me too hot.

In our second lap, as we started up the first hill, I noticed we were slowing down almost to a walking pace.  I suggested to Tim that we might as well walk up the hill to conserve energy.  Tim was in full agreement.  I had fresh legs today, but Tim is doing the entire series.  He also did another series before this one, so this was his 11th consecutive day running a marathon.

From that point on, we started walking up all the hills.  We ran the downhills and the flatter sections.  Now, our average pace was much slower.

Normally, I don’t eat any solid food during a race.  I’m usually content to just drink Gatorade.  When I’m racing on consecutive days, I’m more apt to eat during the race.  I want to make sure I’m not going to finish the race depleted.  I’m already thinking about the next day.

My plan was to eat candy and other sugary foods in the first half of the race, but switch to sandwiches or other more substantial food later in the race.  After each of my first six laps, I drank Gatorade, but also ate something sweet.

After three laps, I noticed we were just barely on pace to finish the race in five hours.  That include one lap that was faster.  Now that we were walking all the hills, we weren’t going to keep up the same average pace.

After two laps of walking the hills, I wasn’t feeling as warm.  My arms were starting to get cold, so I had to put my jacket on again.

Tim drinks coffee before the race, and inevitably has to make a few bathroom stops in the early laps.  After each of our first three laps, Tim made a bathroom stop.  Each time, I walked until he caught up to me.  That made these laps a little slower.

By the end of our fifth lap, the sun was coming out, and it felt much warmer.  Now the jacket had to come off again.  I also took off my gloves.  I was happy to see the sun.  The likelihood of rain during the race was going way down.

By the end of our sixth lap, it was my turn to take a bathroom stop.  I told Tim to go ahead, and I would eventually catch up to him.

When I finished my sixth lap, I was half done with the race.  I was no longer on pace to break five hours.  I was on pace for a time closer to 5:07.  Tim finished that lap about a minute ahead of me, but he was also no longer on pace to break five hours.

To catch up to Tim, I had to run the hills.  I had to work much harder in that lap.  I caught up to him about halfway through that lap.  Now we could both walk the hills again, but our average pace was faster than before.  Tim later commented to me that I was running faster after catching up to him, and that caused him to run faster too.

I was planning to eat more substantial food in the second half of the race, but I did the opposite.  On most laps, I just drank Gatorade.  If I stopped to eat something, I would fall behind Tim, and I didn’t want to have to work harder to catch up to him again.

With four laps to go, we were about a minute and a half behind schedule for a five hour finish.  Tim had made up a minute over the previous two laps.  I had made up two minutes.

Tim said he was conflicted about whether to try to break five hours.  It was tempting, but it might be smarter to conserve energy and not worry about our time.  I told him I felt the same way.

In the last few laps, we didn’t walk all of the hills.  We walked about half of them.  We were more willing to run the hills that weren’t as steep.  Our average pace improved.

With three laps to go, I noticed we were continuing to make up time.  As we started our final lap, I saw that we were once again on pace to break five hours.

By now, we were not only running more of the hills, but we were running at a faster pace everywhere else too.  I could feel the difference.  Earlier, our pace felt relaxed.  Now, there was a little bit of urgency in our pace.

I checked our time at the halfway point of our last lap.  To be on pace for five hours, we needed to get there by 4:47:30.  We got there in less than 4:46.  We had 14 minutes to run a distance that I knew wouldn’t take more than 12:30.

We continued to speed up.  Coming back, we walked briefly on a couple of hills, but ran faster everywhere else.  After running down the last hill, I carried some momentum into the long flat section that followed.  I raced around the parking lot and finished in 4:55:33.  Tim finished a few minutes behind me.

The medals for a series like this come in pieces that link together to form a chain.  The top and bottom pieces go to anyone who did at least one race of this series.  In between them is the medal for today’s race, which is in the shape of West Virginia.

By the time we finished, the sun was shining bright, and it felt much warmer.  I put on my jacket, but I really didn’t need it.  I didn’t bother to put on my gloves.  I stayed in the finish area for at least half an hour, talking to other runners.

I had some food after finishing, but I still felt hungry when I left.  To make sure I was eating enough to fuel for tomorrow’s race, I stopped for a fast food lunch on my way back to my hotel.

Hilly races can be hard on your Achilles tendons.  After the race, mine were feeling a little tight.  When I got back to the hotel, I took a long hot bath and did some stretches.  I paid particular attention to stretching my calves and Achilles tendons.

I’m done with this race, but I need to prepare for tomorrow, when I’ll be doing the same thing again.

To be continued …


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:55:33
Average Pace:  11:16 per mile
First Half:  2:33:20
Second Half:  2:22:13
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  509
West Virginia Marathons:  5

No comments:

Post a Comment