Thursday, March 28, 2024

Appalachian Series, Day 7

After running the sixth race of the Appalachian Series on Wednesday, I returned to run the seventh race of the series today.  Today’s course was the same as yesterday’s course.  It straddles the Virginia/West Virginia border, so runners can count it for West Virginia one day and count it for Virginia the next day.

I ran yesterday’s race because I needed one more marathon in West Virginia.  I ran today’s race because I was already here.  After traveling this far, why not do an extra race before going home?

Yesterday, I arrived early and made a last-minute decision to take the 6:30 early start instead of the 7:30 regular start.  Now that I know that most runners take the early start, I decided to do the same thing again.  I already had my race packet, so I didn’t need to allow as much time to get ready for the race.

Today’s weather was colder.  When I arrived in the start area, it was 39 degrees, but the temperature was still dropping.  It was forecast to reach a low of 36 before starting to rise again.

I wore my warmest tights.  Those are the cheetah tights.  I also wore the cheetah shirt and hat.  I didn’t think to bring arm warmers, so I wore a long sleeve polypro shirt under my T-shirt.  I risked being overdressed, but I could always take walking breaks if I was too hot.

I wore extra layers before the race, but I took them off before they started the pre-race announcements.  In retrospect, I should’ve kept my jacket on until we started running.

Pre-race announcements took much longer than I thought.  There were several runners reaching big milestones today, and we took the time to recognize each one of them.  Then the whole group sang “Take Me Home, Country Roads,” which has been somewhat of a theme song for our two days in Bluefield.

The irony is that we weren’t actually in West Virginia during pre-race announcements, or for much of the race.  Our starting line was in West Virginia, but once we entered Virginia, we never went back to West Virginia.

By the time pre-race announcements were over, I was freezing.  I was wearing gloves, but my hands were particularly cold.  I felt like I was dressed adequately for running in this weather, but I wasn’t dressed warm enough for standing around for so long.

For the second straight day, I started the race with Tim.  Tim started at a surprisingly fast pace, and I had to work to keep up with him.  I asked him why he was running so fast and he said he needed to run fast to get warm.

When we reached the first hill, we took a walking break.  Yesterday, we didn’t walk any of the hills until the second lap.  On average, our pace for the first lap was about the same as yesterday.  That’s where the similarity ended.

Our course was inside a valley.  The wind was blowing through the valley.  The way the course is laid out, we were usually running through the valley.  We rarely ran across the valley for very long.  As a result, we were usually had either a headwind or a tailwind.

After the first lap, Tim made a bathroom stop.  Ordinarily, I would’ve walked until he caught up to me, but we had a headwind at the beginning of the lap.  It wasn’t a strong wind, but it was cold, and if I walked this part of the course, I would get too cold.  I kept running until I reached the hilly part of the course.  Then I walked the hills until Tim caught up to me.  It didn’t take long.

Tim was motivated to run faster today.  It was the last day of the series, and he was planning to start driving home right after the race.  The sooner he finished, the sooner he could get on the road.

Yesterday, we slowed to a more relaxed pace in the second lap, and we also starting walking up all of the hills.  Today, we didn’t slow down, and we only walked a few of the hills.  I would’ve been content to go at a slower pace, but Tim was motivated, and I was trying to keep up with him.

After the last hill, there’s a long flat section that leads us back to the start/finish area.  Tim accelerated through this section.  I was starting to find the pace to be tiring, so I allowed myself to drift behind him.

I was hoping Tim would make another bathroom stop.  That would give me time to catch up.  Tim drinks a lot of coffee before the race, so he usually makes a few bathroom stops early in the race.  Today he didn’t.

When Tim didn’t stop after the second lap, I realized I would need to put in extra effort to catch up to him.  I managed to catch up to him before we reached the hills again, but I was working much harder than yesterday.  By the end of our third lap, I noticed that we were already about three minutes faster than yesterday.

By now, I was finally starting to warm up, but only when we had the wind at our backs.  As soon as we turned around and headed into the wind, I would get cold again.  That pattern persisted throughout the race.

Early in the race, it was cloudy.  During our fifth lap, I saw the sun for the first time.  I was hoping it would feel warmer now.  Unfortunately, the wind got stronger.  The colder breeze easily cancelled out the warmth of the sun.

The last day of a series is hot dog day.  It’s a tradition to have hot dogs at the aid station.  They usually have some type of hot food other days as well.  Yesterday, I didn’t eat any hot food during the race, but today I had a hot dog after the fifth lap.  Tim also stopped to eat a hot dog, so I didn’t have to worry about falling behind again.

When we finished our sixth lap, we were half done with the marathon.  My time for the first half was 10 minutes faster than yesterday.  I expected Tim to go even faster in the second half.  I didn’t know how much faster I could run.

I had to refill my bottle after that lap, so I fell behind.  I had to work hard again to catch up to Tim, but I was able to do it.

For a few laps, I had wanted to make a bathroom stop, but then I would fall even farther behind.  I had doubts about whether I could catch up to Tim again if I got too far behind.  During our seventh lap, Tim mentioned that he was going to make a bathroom stop at the end of the lap.  I thought this was my chance to make a bathroom stop without losing time.  It didn’t work out that way.

Tim was done in the bathroom quickly.  I took much longer.  By the time I started my next lap, Tim had a sizable lead.  I decided to pick up my pace and see if I could catch him.  That was a mistake.

In the early part of the lap, which is through a parking lot, I accelerated.  I wasn’t sure if I was gaining any ground.  It looked like I would have to run all the hills to catch up to him.

When I got within sight of the first hill, Tim was already on the hill.  He was running it!  That was the steepest hill.  If he ran that one, he would almost certainly run all the other hills as well.

I ran all the hills, but I didn’t gain any ground by doing it.  On the flatter sections in between, I picked up my pace.  I still didn’t seem to be gaining any ground.

As I approached the turnaround, Tim was already coming back.  Another runner said, “You can still catch him.”  He was wrong.  By the time I made the turn, Tim had already disappeared over the next hill.

I continued to push the pace, but I wasn’t getting any closer.  I eventually realized that I was falling farther behind.  Tim had kicked it into another gear, and I didn’t have that gear today.  By the end of that lap, it was obvious that I would never catch him.  I had to accept that I would be running the rest of the race by myself.

Trying to catch up with Tim took way too much out of me.  That lap wore me out, and I was never the same after that.

I still had four laps to go.  That’s almost nine miles.  I had to conserve energy, so I could finish the race.  For the rest of the race, I ran at a much more relaxed pace.  I also walked most of the hills.  It was still a struggle.

In the lap where I was chasing Tim, I got hot and sweaty.  Earlier, I was either comfortable or cold, but never hot.  For one lap, I was overheating.  That probably contributed to my fatigue in the laps that followed.

After slowing down, I went back to being cold, but only when I was running into the wind.  When the wind was at my back, I would get hot again.  It was amazing how different the weather felt when I was running in different directions.

When I finished my tenth lap, I had another hot dog.  I still had two laps to go, and each one was difficult now.

When I finally reached my last lap, I took some satisfaction in knowing that each time I ran one of the hills, I was running it for the last time.

Yesterday, I raced through the last part of my final lap.  Today, I dragged myself through it.  I finished the race in 4:54:19.  My time was similar to yesterday, but my splits were a mirror image.  Yesterday, I was much faster in the second half of the race.  Today, my second half was much slower.

After finishing, I got a Virginia medal to add to my chain.

Before leaving, I ate another hot dog, and I drank two glasses of chocolate milk.  I didn’t spend much time in the finish area, because I knew I would quickly get cold.  It had warmed up a little, but it was still in the low 40s, and there was still a cold wind.

Tim wasn’t the only runner who was going home today.  Several other runners had the same idea.  Everyone wanted to get home.  I’m waiting until tomorrow.  I felt like a train wreck after the race, and I needed the rest of the day to recover.  Besides, I’m going to need a full day to travel home.  Before I can fly home, I have to drive back to Charlotte, and that’s a three hour drive.  I’ll start that drive tomorrow after breakfast.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:54:19
Average Pace:  11:14 per mile
First Half:  2:23:30
Second Half:  2:30:49
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  510

No comments:

Post a Comment