Sunday, September 24, 2023

Race Report: 2023 Clarence DeMar Marathon

On September 24, I ran the Clarence DeMar Marathon in Keene, NH.  This is a relatively small race, but it’s a big enough event to fill all the hotel rooms in Keene.  I was able to find a room at the Hampton Inn, but the rates were expensive.  Fortunately, I had enough Hilton points to get two free nights.

Figuring out my flights was also difficult.  I could get a direct flight to Hartford, but there weren’t many flight options and I had to allow time for a 90-minute drive.  There were more flights to Boston, but the drive time to Keene form Boston was an hour longer.  To get to any of the other airports in the region, I would need two flight segments, and I would still have a long drive.

I eventually decided to fly to Hartford Friday morning and fly home Sunday morning.  There was just one problem.  The race was on Sunday.  Somehow, I thought it was a Saturday race when I was making the reservations.  I didn’t realize my mistake until I started getting emails with race information.  My hotel, flights, and rental car were all booked for the wrong days.

By the time I realized my mistake, it was too late to change my hotel reservation.  I couldn’t get the same room for another night, because all the rooms of that type were booked.  Also, when you book a room with points, it’s difficult to change the reservation.

I called Hampton Inn and explained my problem.  The person I spoke to was very helpful.  She said I could have a 2 PM checkout, and she made a note to that effect in my reservation.  She also gave me her name, in case there were any questions.  After that I still had to change my flight and rental car reservation.  The race started at 7 AM, so I clearly wasn’t going to make it back to Hartford in time to catch an 11:45 AM flight.  Fortunately, there was also a 6 PM flight out of Hartford.

I arrived in Hartford just before lunch on Friday.  I didn’t need to be in any rush to get to Keene, so I stopped for lunch in Springfield before driving the rest of the way.  After checking into my room at Hampton, I had a few hours before packet pickup started.  I used that time to go for a run.  After three hours on a plane and almost two hours in a car, my legs were unusually stiff, but they eventually loosened up.

My run turned out to be a bit of an adventure.  I didn’t want to run on city streets, but there was a trail that was less than a mile from my hotel.  I thought I knew the way, but I quickly encountered construction.  The sidewalk was newly paved, but there were sections missing.  Then I encountered a roundabout that wasn’t on any map.

That was the reason for the construction.  This roundabout was so new that it wasn’t finished.  As I made my way around the roundabout, I found myself heading toward the downtown area.  I quickly realized I was on the wrong street.  I somehow missed a turn.  I saw another runner turning onto a trail, so I turned there too, it wasn’t the Cheshire Rail Trail, but at least it got me off of the city streets.

This trail only went one block before I reached a dead end.  Should I turn right or left?  I turned right.  As it turns out, I should’ve turned left.  Each time I reached an intersection, I had to decide whether to turn or wait for the light.  When I turned, I always turned left.  I was starting to do a loop though the downtown area.

I noticed a brewery on my left that I had seen on a map.  It was across the street from where I was supposed to turn onto the Cheshire Rail Trail.  I looked across the street and saw a sign for the trail.  I had made a big loop and was approaching it from the opposite direction.

I ran along the trail until it seemed like I should turn around and go back.  When I reached the point where I had entered the trail, I turned right, thinking I was now on the most direct route back to the hotel.  Then I reached a dead end.  I was supposed to cross a bridge over a stream, but the bridge was closed for construction.  I had no choice but to backtrack and find another place where I could cross the stream.

I eventually found my way back to the same trail I had run on briefly before.  Then I was able to retrace my route back to the hotel.  When I got back to the new roundabout, I saw the turn I had missed.  It was closed for construction.  I was now on the opposite side of the same bridge.  I was only planning to run for three or four miles, but I ended up running closer to five.

I could’ve picked up my race packet on Saturday, but they were encouraging runners who could to pick up their race packets on Friday.  Friday packet pickup was available for a few hours at a shoe store in Keene.  When I parked my car, I saw this mural on a building.


Besides the usual stuff (race bib, T-shirt, safely pins, gear bag tag), my race packet included a sticker, lip balm, a few food samples, a two-page bio of Clarence DeMar, and four pages of race info.  The race info was mostly stuff I had seen in emails, but it’s worth noting that the pre-race emails contained a wealth of information.  This race really does a good job with pre-race communication.

For dinner, I decided to go to the same brewery that I had run by earlier.  They had a fairly extensive food menu, and I now knew the most direct way to get there, in spite of the construction.

The race wasn’t until Sunday, and I already had my race packet, so I had all day Saturday to do sightseeing.  After eating breakfast and doing a workout at the hotel, I set out to find a few of New Hampshire’s covered bridges.

There were four covered bridges in Swanzey, which is just south of Keene.  My first stop was the Sawyer’s Crossing Covered Bridge.

Next, I visited the Thompson Bridge.

My next two stops were the Slate and Coombs bridges.


To get to my next stop, I needed to drive through Winchester, where I encountered a significant traffic delay.  It was the day of the Winchester Pickle Festival, which brought traffic to a standstill.  While I was stuck in traffic, I rolled down my window, so I could listen to the band.  When I finally made it through Winchester, I stopped at the Ashuelot Covered Bridge.

I continued driving along the Ashuelot River until I reached Hinsdale.  Then I returned to Winchester to eat lunch at a restaurant called The Rustic Table.  All of their daily specials had pickles.  I had their baked Sea Scallops with a cup of Polish pickle soup.

After lunch, I returned to my hotel.  Before going out again, I wanted to have all my clothes organized for the marathon.  Then I drove up to Gilsum, where the marathon starts.

From Gilsum, I drove the course back into Keene.  I stopped at the Gilsum Stone Arch Bridge and climbed down to the river to get this view.  The course goes across this bridge, but we wouldn’t get this view during the race.


We would, however, get this view as we crossed the bridge.


It was pretty easy to follow the course.  Signs marking the turns were already in place.  In the early miles, there’s a lot of descending, but there were also uphill sections that were noticeable, even driving a car.

The first half of the race has a lot of nice scenery.  I’m glad I drove it, because I don’t always notice the scenery during the race.

There were two places where I couldn’t follow the course, because a section was closed to cars.  The first one was the last part of an out-and-back on Surry Dam Road.  There was a sign saying, “Awesome views ahead,” but I would have to wait until the race to see those views.

The other section was where the race goes through Wheelock Park.  By the time I got there, I was already into the late miles, where the course is going through Keene.  I didn’t know where I could pick up the course again, so I just drove back to my hotel.  The late miles would have several turns, but not much elevation change (or so I thought).  As far as I knew, I had seen what I needed to see to mentally prepare for the race.

When I got back to the hotel, it was starting to rain.  I spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing at the hotel before going to dinner.

It took me a long time to decide where to go for dinner.  I finally settled on an Italian restaurant on Main Street called Fireworks.  When I got there, I saw a pizza on the menu called pig & fig.  I still have my knack for finding the best pizza in any city.


I got to bed early.  I didn’t sleep perfectly, but I got enough sleep to be OK for the race.

The course was point-to-point.  It started in Gilsum and finished in Keene.  Having driven most of it on Saturday, I had a pretty good idea of the elevation profile.  The first half has a gradual downhill trend, while the second half is mostly flat.  It can be a fast course, but you have to pace yourself appropriately.  In that respect, it’s similar to the Boston Marathon course.  That’s appropriate, since Clarence DeMar won the Boston Marathon seven times.

To get to the start in Gilsum, I had to catch a bus that left from Keene State College.  I was able to park in one of the parking lots on campus.  Much of the college campus was used to support the race.

The marathon didn’t start until 7:00 AM, but buses to the start left between 5:15 and 5:45.  To get there in time to catch a bus, I had to get up at 4:00.  I’ve never liked the logistics of point-to-point races, but it’s the fourth one I’ve done in the last three months.

The temperature was in the low 50s, with a chance of a passing shower.  I was initially planning to run in shorts, but when I went out to my car, it was sprinkling, and I also noticed a surprisingly cool breeze.  I didn’t expect the rain to last long, but there was a chance we might get more rain during the race.  I was ahead of schedule, so I made a last-minute decision to go back and change into tights.

The race provided a gear check, but I didn’t want to take the time to retrieve a gear bag after the race.  Instead, I wore warm-up pants that I was willing to discard and a light jacket that I could tie around my waist before I started running.

I got to the college early, so I was on the first bus to Gilsum.  We got dropped off around 5:30, so we had a long wait before the race started.  We were able to go inside the gymnasium to sit down and stay warm until it was time to walk to the start.  The bathrooms in the building weren’t open, but there was a long row of port-o-potties outside.

I had been awake for a couple hours, but my digestive system wakes up on its own schedule.  I was on the bus when I started feeling pressure in my intestines.  When we got off the bus, everyone else went into the gym, but I went straight for the port-o-potties.  What I was feeling turned out to be mostly gas, but you never know.

This was my first marathon since the beginning of the qualifying period for the 2025 Boston Marathon.  Since this race has a somewhat fast course, an obvious goal was to qualify for Boston.  The qualifying standard is my age group is currently 3:50.

Registration for the 2024 Boston Marathon closed on September 15.  After registration closed, the B.A.A. announced that they received 33,000 applications from time qualifiers.  Last year, they only had 23,000 slots for time qualifiers, so it looks like 10,000 applicants will be turned away.

There’s no question that the B.A.A. will tighten the qualifying standards, but it’s unclear when new standards would take effect.  Ideally, they would want to tighten the standards for 2025, but the qualifying period for 2025 started on September 1.  This was already the fourth weekend of qualifying, and there hasn’t been any announcement yet about changes to the qualifying standards.  To announce tighter standards now would be somewhat unfair to people who have already run a qualifying race. 

When the B.A.A. changes their qualifying standards, they generally change them by five minutes.  I expect the qualifying standard for my age group to be 3:45 for 2026, but I ran this race assuming the standard for 2025 will still be 3:50.

I placed in my age group in my previous four races, so another obvious goal was to win an age group award.  To do that, I needed to place in the top two among men aged 60-69.  I didn’t know how fast I needed to run to place in my age group, but that’s something I would keep in mind in the late miles.

Another common goal of mine is to run negative splits.  That didn’t seem like a realistic goal today, because the first half of the course is much easier than the second half.  My primary goal was to get a BQ, and to do that I planned to really work the downhill sections in the first half of the race.

We started on Main Street in Gilsum.  Running down Main Street, it was sharply downhill.  I’m getting pretty good at downhill running, so I used the downhill start to get off to a fast start.

As we turned onto Highway 10, it was still downhill, but not as steep.  I continued to run at a relatively fast pace, but not so fast that it would be tiring.

Just before the turn onto Surry Road, the road briefly turned uphill.  On the short uphill segments, I was willing to work to keep up my pace, knowing I would quickly get a chance to recover when we resumed running downhill.

Toward the end of the second mile, there was a more noticeable hill.  Again, I was willing to work to keep up my pace.  On this hill, I started to get out of breath, but I knew there would be lots more downhill.

The first three miles were the fastest part of the course.  On these miles, my average pace was 8:20.  I didn’t need to run that fast to break 3:50, but I was taking advantage of the fast miles, knowing the course would level out later.

The next two miles were still downhill, but it wasn’t as noticeable.  I maintained the same effort, but my pace was 15-20 seconds slower.

About five miles into the race, we turned onto Highway 12A.  From driving the course on Saturday, I knew the next several miles would still have a downhill trend, but the slope was gradual, and some sections were slightly uphill.

I wanted to keep up a Boston-qualifying pace, but it took more effort now.  In large races, I can stay on pace just by keeping up with the pack of runners around me.  In smaller races like this one, I need to focus on individual runners.  Some runners were rapidly pulling away.  Other runners weren’t going as fast, so I was passing them.  I noticed one runner who always seemed to be at least 100 feet ahead of me, so I focused on keeping up with her.  It was a woman in green shorts.

At times, it seemed like I was gradually falling farther behind the woman in the green shorts.  Then I’d pick up my effort.  At times, I questioned if this effort would be sustainable for the whole race.  I felt like I was pushing the envelope a little.  In most miles, my pace was faster than what I needed to break 3:50, but I expected the second half of the race to be slower.

At about 10 miles, we made a sharp left turn onto Surry Dam Road.  Right after this turn, I passed the woman in the green shorts.  With nobody to follow, I had to pay more attention to my effort to make sure I kept up my pace.

Before long, we reached the first section of the course that I wasn’t able to drive.  We ran across the dam and then turned around and crossed the dam again.  The awesome views here were of Surry Mountain Lake.

As I was crossing the dam, I found someone new to chase.  It was a guy in a yellow shirt.  He was taking pictures as he ran.  He looked relaxed, but I had to work to keep up with him.

Coming off the dam, we hit a downhill section.  I took the downhill faster than the guy in the yellow shirt, so I ended up passing him.  Once again, I was on my own to maintain a fast enough pace.

At 11 miles, we turned onto East Surry Road and ran by a golf course.  This mile had rolling hills.  Somehow, I didn’t notice that when I drove the course.  I sped up by about 10 seconds in this mile, but only because I was really working to keep up my pace on the hills.

Halfway through mile 13, I reached an aid station that was at the bottom of a hill.  I recognized this as the longest hill on the course.  It was gradual, but it was a total rise of about 100 feet.  For the first half of the hill, I did a good job of keeping up my pace.  In the second half of the hill, I slowed down.  This hill took a lot out of me.

Since the beginning of the race, I had been wearing gloves.  Running up this hill, my hands started to feel sweaty, so I took my gloves off and stuffed them in my fanny pack.

When I reached the 13-mile mark, I saw that I had slowed to 8:54 in that mile.  That was my slowest mile so far, and I wasn’t quite to the top of the hill.

I reached the halfway mark in 1:52:59.  I knew I was ahead of my target pace, but I was still surprised.  I was on pace for 3:46, but I didn’t expect to keep up the same pace in the second half.  The first half was mostly downhill.  The second half would mostly flat.  It would take more effort just to run at the same pace, and my current effort already seemed like it might be unsustainable.

I was almost to the top of the hill.  Then there was a brief downhill segment.  There was one more brief uphill segment, and then there was a long downhill section.  I finally picked up my pace again.  I ran the 14th mile in 8:34.  That was reassuring.

Running downhill, my hands got cold.  Apparently, I took my gloves off prematurely.  It’s tough to put gloves on when they’re already sweaty.  My hands were cold for the rest of the race, but I had to live with that.

Next, we made a sharp turn onto Court Street.  That was sharply downhill.  Coming around that corner and across Court Street, I could feel one of my insoles slipping forward inside my shoe.

When I drove the course, I noticed that the turn was downhill, but I didn’t notice how sharply downhill Court Street was.  I really picked up speed on that section.

I started thinking about how fast my first half was and how much room I had to slow down in the second half.  I wondered if I could break 3:50 just by running nine-minute miles the rest of the way.  At the halfway mark, that wasn’t quite fast enough, but I ran mile 15 in 8:24 after running the previous mile in 8:34.  Now a nine-minute pace would be fast enough.  That gave me a lot of confidence going into the last 11 miles.

I found someone new that I could chase.  It was a guy in a while tank top.  When I first noticed him ahead of me, I had to work hard to keep up with him.  Then I got closer.  Then I was right behind him, and he looked over his shoulder at me.  I couldn’t be sure, but it occurred to me that he might be old enough to be in my age group.  I passed him.

At 16 miles, we turned onto the loop that I had noticed when I drove the course.  Recognizing this part of the course gave me a feeling for where I was.

Earlier in the race, I noticed every time my watch recorded a split.  Now I started missing them.  I didn’t see my time for the 16th or 17th mile.  Then I ran the 18th mile in 8:29.  I only knew my splits from two of the previous four miles, but those two were both faster than 8:30.  If I could keep up that pace for the rest of the race, I might break 3:45.  That seemed highly improbable.  To do that, I’d need to run the second half a minute faster than the first half.  The first half is much easier, and I didn’t feel like I was holding back at all.

It didn’t seem possible, but it was a goal worth pursuing.  3:45 would be a BQ even if the B.A.A. tightened the qualifying standards.  I didn’t know if I was running 8:30 or faster consistently, but I was determined to keep up my effort until I got another split.

At 19 miles, I missed my split again.  My watch was consistently reading high.  Whenever I saw a mile marker, I looked at my watch and saw that it had already recorded that mile, but I didn’t notice.  At 19 miles, my watch read 19.08.  I never noticed the vibration when it recorded a split.  When I looked at my watch, it was too late.

I was entering the next section of the course that I wasn’t able to drive.  I was running on a trail through Wheelock Park.  For the rest of the race, nothing was going to look familiar.  Now, I had to take each mile as it came.

I continued to miss my mile splits.  I didn’t know how fast I ran mile 20, or mile 21, or mile 22.  I optimistically assumed I was keeping up the same pace as before, and I kept pushing.  As I had fewer miles to go, I was got confident that my effort wouldn’t break me.

I was now focused more and more on my other goal.  I wanted to place in my age group.  I was constantly looking at the runners ahead of me.  I’d see a couple runners who were clearly younger than me.  I didn’t need to complete with them.  Then I’d look farther up the road, and I’d see a couple guys who could plausibly be in my age group.  To know for sure, I’d have to get closer.  I’d pass the younger runners and gradually catch up to the older guys until I could see them more clearly.

Sometimes I’d see a guy who looked like he was as old as me.  Then I’d pass him.  Other times, I’d realize the guy I was chasing wasn’t that old.  I’d pass him anyway.  I was relentless.  I was passing everyone.

In a few places, there were signs that were either inspirational or humorous.  Just before we entered Greenlawn Cemetery, there was a sign saying, “You’re entering a cemetery.  Try to look alive.”  It was easy to look alive at first, because the road through the cemetery was sharply downhill.  As it leveled off, I found myself tiring.  That often happened after a downhill section.  When the road leveled off, I was still trying to keep up the same pace, but it took more effort.  I never let up.  Going downhill, I worked the hill.  On the flat, I tried to go as fast as the downhill.  Going uphill, I tried not to slow down any more than I had to.  In most races, I try to keep my effort consistent.  In this race, I was running the terrain.

There was another downhill section, but eventually, I had to run uphill again.  This hill was tiring.  I was getting out of breath, and I could tell I was slowing down.  I did my best, but I wondered if it would wreck me for the rest of the race.

That was in mile 23.  I ran that mile in 8:54.  That was as slow as mile 13, which had the biggest hill of the race.  When the road turned downhill again, I couldn’t run it as fast as I ran other downhill sections.  By now, both of my insoles had slipped so far forward that running downhill was getting uncomfortable for my feet.

With 3.2 miles to go, I had more than 32 minutes left to break 3:50.  I just needed to average 10 minutes per mile, and every mile so far had been faster than nine minutes.  It was obvious that I would break 3:50, but it was just as obvious that I wouldn’t be able to break 3:45.

In those last few miles, I didn’t let up.  I was no longer racing the clock, but I was still trying to place in my age group.  Even more than before, I tried to catch anyone who looked like they might be older than 60.  Since the middle of the race, I had passed as many as 10 men who might be in my age group.  It made me wonder how many of them actually were in my age group.  It also made me wonder how many might still be ahead of me.  Every time I passed one, I saw another.  How far back was I at the halfway mark?  Was I even in the top 10?

I ran mile 24 in 8:46.  That was disappointing.  I ran mile 25 in 8:42.  That was better.  Breaking 3:45 was out of reach, but 3:50 was in the bank.

They had a sign at one mile to go.  I love races that do that.  I did one last time check.  To finish in 3:50, I just needed to run the last mile in 12:38.  Then it occurred to me that I might be really close to 3:46 if I could speed up in the last mile.  I gave it all I had.

I passed another older runner.  Chasing him helped me to keep up my effort.  In the distance, I could see one more older runner who was wearing a red shirt.  I couldn’t gain ground on him.  Even if I could, he was too far ahead for me to catch him before the end of the race.

I was almost to the college campus.  I made the turn onto Main Street.  When I saw my split for mile 26, it was 8:38.  This was going to be really close.  I poured it on.

As I made the final turn onto Appian Way, another runner passed me like I was standing still.  He looked much younger than me, so I didn’t care.  I ran hard to the line, and I finished in 3:45:47.  I wasn’t close to breaking 3:46, but amazingly, I ran negative splits by 11 seconds.

People were telling me where to get food and water, but I only cared about two things.  The first was my finisher medal.  The second was finding out how I placed in my age group.


As I was walking toward the results tent, I saw a BQ bell.  You were supposed to ring it if you qualified for Boston.  It’s still possible that the B.A.A could tighten the standards for 2025, but under the current standards, I qualified with more than four minutes to spare.  I went over and rang the bell.

When I got to the results tent, they entered my bib number and displayed my result.  I was shocked.  I was 6th in my age group, despite running a solid race and passing everyone I could.  This was a competitive race.

Getting back to the hotel proved to be a little bit of a challenge.  I was told I could get out of the parking lot without crossing the course by exiting to the right.  I didn’t see any streets where I could turn right.  Other cars were going out to Main Street.  Was I supposed to turn right on Main Street.  That was impossible.  There were runners on Main Street.  Even if there was a large enough gap between runners, it was impossible to turn onto Main, because there was already a long line of cars backed up.

I found two runners who lived in the area and asked them if there was another way out of the parking lot.  One of them told me that I could get out by following a serpentine route west and north of the parking lot.  That worked.  I eventually found my way out to Winchester Street.  From there, I knew my way back to the hotel.

By finishing the race faster than expected and leaving the finish area quickly, I was able to get back to the hotel just after 11:00.  I didn’t need to check out until 2:00, but I managed to be ready to leave by noon.  I actually needed to leave by 1:00, because I needed to return my rental car by 3:00, and I wanted to allow two hours to drive to Hartford and fill my tank.

About halfway through the drive, it started to rain.  This wasn’t just a few sprinkles.  It was steady rain for the rest of the drive.  The rain was actually helpful.  It made it easier to fend off road hypnosis.

The rain reminded me how lucky I was that it didn’t rain at all during the race.  After the race, my fingers were turning white.  If it had rained, I would’ve been much colder.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  3:45:47
Average Pace:  8:37
First Half:  1:52:59
Second Half:  1:52:48
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  494
New Hampshire Marathons:  5
Boston Qualifiers:  154

No comments:

Post a Comment