Monday, December 18, 2023

Race Report: 2023 Hawaii Bird Conservation Marathon

On December 17, I ran the Hawaii Bird Conservation Marathon on the Big Island.  This was the third island Deb and I visited on our Hawaii vacation.  This post picks up where my Maui post left off. 

Thursday, December 14

Deb and I flew from Kahului to Hilo in the late afternoon.  Our flight was a little bit late, so we didn’t arrive until 6:00 PM.  By the time we picked up our bags and rental car and drove to our hotel, it was well after dark.  We had a light dinner in the hotel restaurant, and stayed in for the night. 

Friday, December 15

Our hotel was on the waterfront, and our room had a balcony with an ocean view.  We didn’t have many activities planned, so we took our time with everything.

It was drizzly while we were eating breakfast.  I waited for the rain to stop before going for a run.

After my run, we went to Rainbow Falls.  Rainbow Falls is the top tourist attraction in the Hilo area.  It’s only 10 minutes away, and it’s wheelchair accessible, so this was an obvious place to start our day.


In lieu of lunch, we stopped in downtown Hilo to get gelato.  As we were driving through downtown Hilo, we happened upon the Hilo farmers’ market.  On one side of the street, there were food stalls.  On the other side, there were craft stalls.  This is Deb’s favorite type of shopping.  Since we already had a parking space, we also visited several of the downtown shops while we were there.

This was already the 8th day of our trip, and Deb had some clothes she wanted to wash, so we went back to the hotel in the afternoon to do laundry.  After that, we decided to just relax at the hotel for the rest of the day.

Saturday, December 16

Saturday morning, we had clear skies.  From our balcony, we had a clear view of Mauna Kea.  If you look closely, you can see snow on the summit.  You don’t often see snow in Hawaii.

After breakfast, we went back to the Hilo farmers’ market.  It’s there every day, but it’s much larger on Wednesdays and Saturdays.  There were probably three times as many craft vendors and twice as many food vendors.  We spent the whole morning there.  Our lunch consisted of coconut milk and food samples.

In the afternoon, I picked up two friends, Stefanie and Julie, from the airport.  It was too early for packet pickup, and it was also too early for them to check into their hotel, so I brought them to Rainbow Falls.  There wasn’t a rainbow on Friday, but there was on Saturday, visible from the overlook above the falls.

Next, we went to pick up our race packets.  Then we picked up Deb at the hotel and spent the rest of the afternoon walking around Liliʻuokalani Gardens and Coconut Island.


For dinner, we went to Café Pesto.  This is my favorite restaurant in Hilo.  Every time I’ve been to Hilo, I’ve had lunch or dinner there.  For my pre-race dinner, I had their luau pizza, which has pineapple and kalua pork.

I was able to get to bed early that night, but I only slept for four hours.  Then I woke up and couldn’t get back to sleep.

Sunday, December 17

Sunday was race day.  The race started at 6:00 AM, but I had to catch a bus to the start by 4:15.  The pickup point for the bus was a short walk from my hotel.  I didn’t need to leave the hotel until 4:00, but I was in the lobby 10 minutes early.  I was too restless to sit down, so I started walking to the bus loading point.  The buses were there by the time I arrived, so I got on the first bus.

The start was next to the golf course in Volcano Village.  The elevation there is about 4,000 feet, so it’s much cooler there than it is in Hilo.  The temperature while we were waiting to start was in the low 50s.  By contrast, I expected it to be at least 70 degrees in Hilo by the time I finished.

This course is one of the fastest I’ve ever run.  It descends roughly 3,700 feet.  I’ve run marathons that had a greater net descent, but those races had sections that were uncomfortably steep.  This race has a gentle descent, so you can run fast without beating up your legs.  The only tough part comes in the last few miles, where there are a couple of uphill sections.

Although it was somewhat chilly at the start, I dressed for the warmer weather I would encounter later in the race.  To stay warm in the start area, I brought warm-up layers.  They had a gear check at the start.

We started before dawn, and we were running on roads that are sparsely lit.  Everyone was required to carry a light in the early miles.  We were also strongly encouraged to wear brightly colored clothes.

The race starts next to the Volcano Golf Course on Plimauna Drive, but we quickly turned onto the shoulder of Highway 11, which is the highway that connects Hilo to the southern end of the island.  Plimauna Drive is downhill, but we briefly ran uphill on the highway.

After about a quarter mile on the highway, I saw the sign on the other side of the road indicating we had reached the highest point on the highway (4,024 feet about sea level).  From that point on, we ran downhill.

In the first two miles, there wasn’t much room for runners to pass each other.  I made an effort to establish a fast pace before we got onto the highway.  I was right behind runners who I know are faster than me, but I challenged myself to keep up with them.  In that first mile, I was already breathing hard.

My split for the first mile was 8:10.  My goal for this race was to break 3:30.  To do that, I needed an average pace of 8:00, so I needed to be a little bit faster.  The first mile isn’t all downhill, so I wasn’t too concerned, but I picked up my effort in the second mile.

In downhill races, I always run with a short stride and a rapid cadence.  I do that to guard against overstriding.  I’ve also found that running downhill this way lessens the impact on my quads.  Instead, I’m working my glutes pretty hard.  Ideally, I’m putting all my effort into “spinning the wheels,” and I’m letting gravity take care of my forward progress.

In the second mile, there were places where the shoulder was only two feet wide, and vegetation sometimes extended all the way to the white line.  I never crossed the white line, but I sometimes ran right on it.

My pace for the second mile was 7:57.  That was better, but I felt like I was working harder than I should to run a pace that was just barely fast enough for my goal.  That mile was all downhill, so I expected it to be faster.

Early in the third mile, we left the highway to run through Volcano Village on Volcano Road.  Here, we were allowed to use the whole road, but we generally stayed on the left.  Volcano Road isn’t too busy, but it was still open to traffic.

Where we turned onto Volcano Road, there was room for an aid station.  This was the first of 10 aid stations.  This one only had water, but several of the aid stations had both water and Gatorade.  I drank the Gatorade whenever it was available.

This aid station had a box where we could drop off a flashlight or headlamp.  I turned off my flashlight as I approached, and I slowed down enough to carefully place it in the box as I ran by.

Volcano Road started out level, but gradually turned downhill.  We were on that road for more than two miles before returning to the highway.  When I got my split for mile three, I was disappointed.  I slowed to 8:21 in that mile.  That pace wasn’t going to cut it, so I picked up my effort.

I wasn’t just putting effort into “spinning the wheels.”  I was also putting extra effort into picking up my pace.  I’ve run this race three times before, and I haven’t needed to do that at this point in the race.  I was working harder this year, and I wondered if my effort was going to be sustainable.

My best recent time on a flat course was 3:42 and change.  I’ve always been at least 13 minutes faster on this course than I am on a flat course, so breaking 3:30 seemed like a very reasonable goal.  I didn’t know why I needed to work so hard to run at that pace.

In mile four, I was able to bring my pace back down below eight minutes.  I knew from experience that I was just getting to the fastest part of the course.  I’ve always run fastest in miles five through seven.

During the fifth mile, I left Volcano Road to turn back onto the shoulder of the highway.  The shoulder was wider here.  For the rest of the race, I always felt I had plenty of room to run.

My pace in the next few miles was faster and took less effort.  In miles five through seven, I averaged 7:23.  That’s the good news.  The bad news is that I was already starting to notice some soreness in my glutes.  The other times I ran this race, my training had emphasized race-walking over running.  Race-walking builds the muscles that I was using in this race.  In recent months, I’ve been building my running mileage, but I’ve been neglecting my race-walk training.  As a result, my glutes were already showing signs of fatigue.

When you’re running downhill and the road ahead levels off, it can look like you’re about to go uphill.  This is an optical illusion.  There were a few sections like this and one of them came in mile eight.  As I reached this section, it felt like I was running uphill, even though I was pretty sure it was merely flat.  I understood why when I got my next split.  Even though that mile was much flatter, I was still running almost as fast.  I ran than mile and the next one in 7:34 each.

Now that I had finished nine miles, I could tell myself I was already one third done.  I had yet to notice much difference in temperature.  It’s possible that the temperature had risen a few degrees, but there was a cool breeze that felt chilly on my arms.

By the 10th mile, I was starting to moderate my pace.  For the next few miles, I averaged about 7:50.

About halfway through mile 12, I reached a section of the course that started out level, but would eventually turn slightly uphill.  This was no optical illusion.  This section actually is uphill, and it was fairly long.  The uphill section continued well into the 13th mile.

I was able to maintain the same pace in mile 12, but in mile 13, I slowed to 8:18.  I knew that was a tougher mile, so I wasn’t too concerned.  As long as I brought my pace back under eight minutes when the road turned downhill again, I would be fine.

During that long flat to uphill section, I adjusted my gait.  I slowed my cadence and took a longer stride.  That gave my glutes a much-needed rest.

At the halfway mark, I was on pace to break 3:25.  I didn’t expect to keep up that pace for the whole race.  I had several reasons to expect the second half to be slower.  The three easiest miles were already behind me.  The toughest miles were at the end of the race, so those were still ahead of me.  Up until now, the weather felt comfortable, but I knew it would get warmer and more humid as I got closer to the coast.  Finally, my effort didn’t feel sustainable.  I felt like I had been working harder than I usually do in the first half of this race.

My goal was still breaking 3:30.  I didn’t need to keep up the same pace I ran in the first half.  All I needed to do was maintain an average pace of 8:00 per mile until the last few miles.  With about two and a half miles to go, I would reach a tough hill.  I wanted to be in a position where I had enough of a cushion that I could afford to slow down in the last three miles.

Just past the halfway mark, the road turned noticeably downhill again.  Without even trying, I sped up.  As I realized I was speeding up, I went back to running with a short stride and a rapid cadence.  For the next two miles, I averaged 7:30.  I didn’t need to run that fast, but I was happy to add to my cushion, as long as I wasn’t working too hard to do it.

I usually slow down or walk briefly while drinking at aid stations.  On this section of the course, I reached an aid station and tried to grab a cup of Gatorade without slowing down.  The Gatorade all spilled on the front of my shirt.  I had to stop and reach back for another cup of Gatorade.  The volunteer apologized for the bad handoff, but it wasn’t his fault.  I said, “My bad.  I usually slow down.”

With about 10 miles to go, I entered a town.  This was the first town since Volcano Village.  I briefly felt some light drizzle.  Then it stopped.  Then the sun came out.  Then it got cloudy again.  The weather can change quickly in Hawaii.  All of these changes came within a span of just a few minutes.

Going through this town, we needed to cross another busy street.  There were course marshals to hold up the traffic for us.

Over the next several miles, I settled into a pace in the 7:40s.  I was happy with anything under eight minutes.

There were mileposts on the side of the road, which were gradually counting down.  I knew from experience that if I subtracted four from the milepost number, it would give me a pretty good estimate of the number of miles remaining.  When I saw milepost 12, I knew I had just eight miles to go.  That was the good news.  The bad news came on a sign on the opposite side of the highway.

There were signs marking every 500 feet of elevation change.  Because they were on the opposite side of the road, I didn’t always notice them.  With eight miles to go, I saw the sign for 1,000 feet.  The elevation at the finish is about 300 feet.  I had already descended more than 3,000 feet, but there would only be 700 feet of net descent over the last eight miles.  That’s still almost 100 feet per mile, but it would take a lot more effort to maintain the same fast pace.

By now, I was running with another runner who was in the same age group.  I didn’t recognize him, but he remembered running with me last year too.  As the road leveled off in the late miles, I challenged myself to keep up with him.

I was dividing the remaining miles into two segments.  I had five more miles that would be somewhere between level and downhill.  In these miles, I needed to average 8:00 per mile.  In the last three miles, the course is somewhat rolling.  I knew these miles would be slower, but I was hoping to have enough of a cushion that I could slow down and still finish comfortably under 3:30.

Over the next five miles, my pace ranged from 7:39 to 8:00.  The guy I had been running with started to pull away from me with about five miles to go.  I wasn’t slowing down.  He was speeding up.  He was on his way to a strong finish.  I was on my own now.

By now, the sun was out, and I was also starting to notice the humidity.  I felt hot at times, but only when the sun was on me.  With so few miles to go, I didn’t feel like I was in any danger of blowing up from the heat.  If I blew up, it would be from the cumulative toll of pushing myself hard since the beginning of the race.

With about three miles to go, I recognized a major intersection.  I knew the only tough hill on the course would be starting soon.

I felt the road turning uphill with about 2.7 miles to go.  It’s not a steep hill, but after 23 miles of downhill running, anything uphill feels like a mountain.  I didn’t try to maintain the same pace.  I just kept up the same effort.  I expected to give back some time on this hill, but I didn’t want to wear myself out.  More than once, this hill has broken me, and I’ve been slow all the way to the finish.

The top of the hill was just before the 24 mile mark.  When I got my split, I was pleased to see that I ran that mile in 8:36.  I only gave back 36 seconds in the toughest mile of the race.

As I reached the top of the hill, it started sprinkling.  Twice before, I had felt some light drizzle, but only for about 30 seconds.  This time, the rain lasted for several minutes.  I had been noticing the increase in temperature, and the rain ensured I wouldn’t get too hot in the last two miles.

The road turned downhill again, but then I saw what looked like another hill.  In all likelihood, the road merely leveled off, but it still took more effort.

I don’t know if I was running out of gas or if I just got complacent, but I was disappointed to see that I ran mile 25 in 8:40.  That was slower than the previous mile, even though this mile was downhill.  I didn’t feel like the hill in the previous mile broke me, so I worked harder to pick up my pace in the next mile.

Mile 26 wasn’t as slow as mile 25.  I ran it in 8:20.  Over the last three full miles, I averaged 8:32.  I had budgeted nine minutes for each of those miles, so I knew I was still going to break 3:30 by a wide margin.

I turned off the highway onto the road where we would finish.  The approach to the finish is slightly uphill, and there’s a bend.  You can’t see the finish line until you get around the bend.  I did my best to finish strong, but another runner raced by me.

I finished in 3:25:56.  That’s the fastest I’ve ever run on this course.  It was my fastest marathon this year by more than 16 minutes.

The finisher medals for this race look like small dog tags.  They’re made of silver.

When I picked up my gear bag, the volunteers had already tucked my flashlight into a separate zippered compartment.  They did that last year too.

The guy I had been running with took second in our age group, and I was third.  Age group awards only go to the top two in each 5-year age group, but I wasn’t disappointed.  He finished strong and clearly deserved his award.  I was happy just to have run as fast as I did.  It was my fastest marathon in four years.

I already had a qualifying time for the 2025 Boston Marathon, but this race will give me a better corral seeding.  It’s also fast enough to get me into the New York City Marathon.

My friend Stefanie finished about 30 seconds after I did.  We lingered in the finish area long enough to grab some post-race snacks, but then we got on the bus that would take us back to our hotels.  There was a bus already waiting when we finished, and we didn’t want to risk missing it and having to wait for the next one.

While we were on our way back, another runner was looking up results on her phone.  That’s when we discovered that Stefanie won an age group award.

We each needed time to get cleaned up, but then Deb and I picked up Stefanie and Julie and brought them back to the finish area, so Stef could get her award.  We had some time before they needed to be at the airport, so we stopped downtown to get smoothies.  Then we drove to several beach parks that are close to the airport.  There aren’t many beaches in Hilo that are suitable for swimming.  These are parks where you can have a picnic lunch while watching the waves crashing on a rocky coastline.





After dropping off Stefanie and Julie at the airport, Deb and I went to a park next to Waiakea Pond.

Deb and I spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing at the hotel.  We didn’t feel like going out again, so we had dinner in the hotel restaurant.

Monday, December 18

The next morning, my left Achilles tendon felt a little tight.  After a hot bath and some stretching, it felt better.  I also had some sore muscles, mostly in my glutes.  Before breakfast, I went to the fitness center to do some strength training.  Getting some blood flow to all the right muscles helped jumpstart my recovery.

It was raining while we ate breakfast, but as soon as the rain stopped, I went for a short recovery run.  I kept the pace nice and relaxed.  This was more about stimulating blood flow than doing quality training.  To relieve tension on my Achille tendon, I put some padding under my left heel.

We spent the rest of the morning packing and left for the airport around noon.  We had a short flight to Honolulu and then had a three hour layover before the overnight flight to Minneapolis.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  3:25:56
Average Pace:  7:51 per mile
First Half:  1:42:24
Second Half:  1:43:32
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  502
Boston Qualifiers:  160

No comments:

Post a Comment