Sunday, December 10, 2023

Race Report: 2023 Honolulu Marathon

On December 10, I ran the Honolulu Marathon.  I’ve done this race twice before.  In 2009, Deb and I went on a 7-day Hawaii cruise out of Honolulu that visited three other islands before returning to Oahu.  The day after our cruise, I ran the marathon.  In 2015, I returned to Honolulu by myself to run the marathon again, so I could complete my second circuit of marathons in every state.  This year, Deb and I came back to Hawaii together.

A few weeks before our trip, Deb started experiencing severe pain in her left knee.  After she had an MRI, her doctor advised her not to put any weight on that knee for at least three weeks.  Obviously, that put limitations on our plans.  We were able to get Deb a light, compact transfer chair before the trip.  Deb could still get around, but she needed me to be with her to push her.  We could still go where we wanted, as long as it was paved and didn’t involve steps.  What we couldn’t do was to go our separate ways.  If I went running or went to packet pickup by myself, Deb wouldn’t be able to shop or do sightseeing on her own.

Friday, December 8

We arrived in Honolulu in the late afternoon after a nine-hour flight from Minneapolis.  It was a direct flight, but it was still a long travel day.  By the time we got to our hotel in Waikiki, it was 6:30 PM.  There’s a four-hour time difference between Minnesota and Hawaii, so to us it felt like 10:30 PM.

We had enough food on our flight that we didn’t need to have dinner.  After checking in and unpacking a few things, I went to a nearby ABC store to pick up food for breakfast.  The running joke is that ABC stands for “All Blocks Covered.”  You rarely walk more than a block in Waikiki without passing one.

Saturday, December 9

We were up well before dawn.  Nothing is open that early, so we ate a light breakfast in our room, and I went down to the fitness center to do a workout.  As soon as the sun came up, I went for a run around Diamond Head Crater.

After my run, we had brunch at Lulu’s Restaurant.  This is my favorite breakfast spot in Waikiki.  It’s a second floor restaurant, and I didn’t see any way to get up to the restaurant other than the stairs.  I went in to ask if there was another way up and found out there’s a hallway to the restaurant from the second floor of the adjacent hotel.  Going through the hotel worked fine.  It pays to ask.

Next, we went shopping at Duke’s Marketplace.  This is an alleyway in the center of Waikiki where dozens of vendors set up market stalls to sell souvenirs.

After bringing Deb back to the hotel, I walked over to the Hawaii Convention Center to pick up my race packet.  I knew there was a trolley that went to the expo, but I did know where the stops were.  I couldn’t find any information about it on the website for the marathon, so I just walked there and back.

We spent the rest of the afternoon alternately shopping and relaxing.  Here’s a view of Diamond Head from the hotel’s pool deck on the third floor.

The only other sightseeing I did was to walk out to the end of Waikiki Walk.  I couldn’t bring Deb out there, because there’s too much sand for a wheelchair.

We had an early dinner at an Italian restaurant in Waikiki.  They normally don’t open until 5:00, but for marathon runners who wanted to carbo load, they opened at 3:30.

Sunday, December 10

Sunday was race day.  The race started at 5:00 AM, but the start was two miles from our hotel, so I took a bus to the start.  The buses left from a street alongside the Honolulu Zoo.  Our hotel was on that street, so I was able to walk across the street from the hotel to catch a bus.  The last bus leaves at 3:45, so I had to be up pretty early.

I got up at 2:30, but I wasn’t ready to leave the hotel until 3:20.  I didn’t realize I was cutting it close.  After crossing the street, I saw the line of runners waiting to board a bus.  I wasn’t surprised that the line went all the way down the street.  What surprised me was seeing that the line went around the corner.  When I got to the corner, I couldn’t see the end of the line.  I had to walk for five minutes just to get to the back of the line.  The line moved fast, but I wasn’t on a bus until 3:45.  By then, there were only a few buses left, and they were packing them so full that several of us had to stand in the aisle.

Once I was on a bus, it only took 15 minutes to get to the start area at Ala Moana Park.  I still had an hour before the race started.  I spent 20 minutes of that in line to use a port-o-potty.  Then I started walking to the start corrals.

The start corrals stretched out for several blocks.  From the back, you couldn’t even see the starting line.  Based on my estimated finish time, I was assigned to the blue start group.  My race bib has a blue background.  I saw other runners with bibs that had orange, green, or purple backgrounds.  There may have been a few other colors as well.  As I walked toward the starting line, I expected to see signs for the various color groups.  Instead, I saw signs for numbered zones.  I didn’t know how these zones corresponded to the different colors.

I kept walking until I could see the starting line, and I lined up at a distance that made sense to me.  I knew from experience that you need to be fairly close to the start if you plan to run the whole way.  This race has no time limit, and a substantial percentage of the participants will walk the whole way.

I lined up close enough to the front that I was reasonably sure that there wouldn’t be any walkers in front of me.  Looking around me, I saw runners with bibs of all different colors.  Everyone was deciding for themselves where to line up.

When the race started, fireworks went off.  I took one quick picture and then put away my phone, so I could start running.

It was still about 90 minutes before dawn.  The first several miles were in the dark, but we were on city streets with plenty of street lights.  I never had any trouble seeing the road.

For the first half mile, I had to weave around slower runners.  After that, there were no longer any slower runners in front of me, so I could find my own pace.

I felt like I was running at a pace that might be too fast for the conditions.  It was 75 degrees with high humidity.  By the end of the first mile, I was already feeling the humidity.  Then I realized I wasn’t feeling any wind.

I ran the first mile in 9:40.  That’s a minute slower than most of my recent marathons.  It was closer to the pace of an easy training run, yet it didn’t feel easy.  It didn’t feel like it would be sustainable for a marathon.  I generally hold up well in hot temperatures, but if the humidity is high enough, it can force me to slow down.  Mile two was a little faster, but then I slowed to about 9:40 for the next two miles.

The first time I reached an aid station, I only saw water.  In cooler conditions, I’ll sometimes skip an aid station if there’s no Gatorade.  In these conditions, I had to take in fluid at every opportunity.  If I saw Gatorade, I drank it.  If I didn’t, I was happy to drink water.  The important thing was to drink at every aid station.

The first four miles were a loop through the downtown area.  Then we went past Ala Moana Park again and headed toward Waikiki.

As I reached Waikiki, I started to slow down.  In the next few miles, my pace slowed into the 9:50s.  It still seemed like I was working too hard.

At about six miles, we left Waikiki and reached Kapiolani Park, where the race would eventually finish.  They had a 10K race called “Start to Park.”  It started out the same way as the marathon, but finished in Kapiolani Park.

We ran around one side of the park on Diamond Head Road.  Then we continued to run past the south side of Diamond Head Crater.

Going past Diamond Head, there were only two lanes.  We had to stay in the left lane, because runners would eventually come back on the other side of the road.  I though it would be a long time before anyone would come back.  I didn’t think about how much faster the elite wheelchair athletes would be.

In the eighth mile, I started up a gradual hill.  I didn’t want to work too hard on the hill, so I allowed myself to slow down.  That was the first mile that took me more than 10 minutes.  It would also be the last.

It was also in the eighth mile that I started to feel a strong breeze.  We were near the coast, and the breeze really helped to counter the effects of the humidity.

By now, I could make out the shapes of clouds.  At ground level, it was still dark, but the sky was beginning to lighten.

By the end of the ninth mile, I saw several pace vehicles go by on the other side of the road.  They were ensuring the lane was clear for the lead wheelchair athlete.  I was too lazy to figure out what his pace was, but it was obviously fast.  I was just getting to nine miles, and he was already past 23.  The wheelers started before the runners, but only by five minutes.

The next several miles were slightly rolling, but we enjoyed a cool breeze.  It was usually a headwind, but it wasn’t strong enough to be tiring.  It helped a great deal with the humidity.

The first seven miles had been flat.  My pace was generally in the 9:40s and 9:50s, and it felt tiring.  The next several miles wouldn’t be as flat, yet they were much easier.  Now my pace ranged from the 9:30s to the 9:40s, and it didn’t feel tiring.  The wind was a gamechanger.

The next several miles were mostly out-and-back.  As I reached the 18K mark, I saw another pace vehicle.  This one was in front of the lead male.  The next two runners were close behind.

By the time I finished 11 miles, there was plenty of light at ground level.  The sun was above the horizon by now, but I couldn’t see it yet.  It was too low in the sky to be visible above trees and buildings.

In mile 12, I inadvertently sped up.  I ran that mile in 9:13.  That was much faster than any previous mile, but it didn’t feel like it.  It’s possible that mile was downhill.  I certainly wasn’t trying to speed up.

I saw more pace vehicles go by.  This time it was the lead women.  Two women were running stride for stride, while a third gave chase.

A lot of people walk this race or run it slowly, but there’s no shortage of competition among the elite athletes.  Before the race, they announced that the first place male and female would each get a solid gold medal weighing more than six ounces.  They had these medals on display at the expo.

Before the race, I told Deb I would finish sometime between 9:00 and 9:30 AM.  That corresponds to a finish time between 4:00 and 4:30.  At the halfway mark, I was on pace to be right in the middle of that range.  I assumed at this point that I would slow down in the second half.  In a few miles, the conditions would get much tougher.

Between 15 and 17 miles, we did a loop that would eventually lead us back to the same road, but in the opposite direction.  I was about halfway through this loop when I stopped feeling the wind.  It was gradually changing from a headwind to a tailwind as we changed directions.  That might sound like good news, but it isn’t.  When it’s hot and humid, the wind is your friend.  A headwind will cool you off.  A tailwind doesn’t provide the same cooling effect.

At about 16 miles, I heard someone in the crowd call my name.  We all had our names on our race bibs, but this sounded like someone who recognized me.  I turned my head in time to see Glen, who lives here.  I was surprised to see him in the crowd.  I thought he would be running the race.

By 17 miles, I was starting to feel the sun.  It wasn’t constant.  There were still shady areas, but when I was out in the open, the heat of the sun was one more thing that would make the last nine miles more difficult.

I fully expected to slow down now, but I didn’t.  In the previous few miles my times were consistently in the 9:30s.  Now, my slower miles were in the 9:30s, but my faster miles were in the 9:20s.

Often, I’ll work hard to maintain or improve my pace in the second half of a race.  I wasn’t trying to do that.  This wasn’t a goal race for me.  My next race has a fast course, and I’ll be gunning for a fast time.  I was planning to hold back in this race, to make sure I would still have gas in the tank for the next one.

I was on auto-pilot.  I don’t know if I was simply continuing to run with the same rhythm, or if I was subconsciously running at the same pace as the people around me.  Usually, the runners around me will begin to slow down in the second half of a race.  That didn’t seem to be happening.  I was speeding up slightly, but I wasn’t passing the other runners.

The next few miles were tough, but I kept up my pace.  When I got to 20 miles, I could see the top of Diamond Head in the distance.  I knew it was still a few miles away.  I also knew the finish would be a few miles beyond that.  Still, it was a tangible sign of my progress as I headed back toward the city.

By now, the sun was getting higher in the sky.  There were still shady spots, but most of the time the sun was on me.

After the 22 mile mark, I started passing most of the other runners around me.  Some were walking, but I was also passing the ones who were still running.  I assumed the people around me were finally slowing down in the heat.  I was wrong.  At 23, I saw that I had sped up to 8:58 in that mile.  That was my fastest mile so far by a wide margin.

I was almost back to Diamond Head Road.  Before I got there, I had to climb a gradual hill.  There was a brief downhill, but once I turned onto Diamond Head Road, I had to go uphill again.  I slowed in mile 24, but not by much.  It was still faster than 9:20. 

Now I was on the last hill.  It was the same hill that slowed me down in mile eight, but now I was approaching it from the opposite direction.  I knew I would crest the hill just before the 40K mark.  I also knew it would be mostly downhill from there to the finish.

By now, it was obvious to be that I was going to run negative splits.  My pace in the second half had been consistently faster than my pace in the first half.  My slowest mile of the first half was mile eight, when I was climbing this same hill from the other side.  That mile took 10:11.  If I could run mile 25 in 10 minutes that would still be faster.

I put some effort into this hill.  I thought I might slow down a little, but I was pretty sure it would be faster than 10 minutes.

Near the top of the hill, there are two small parking areas for a scenic overlook.  In one of these parking areas, there was a drum band, accompanies by a guy blowing a conch shell.  I focused on the beat of the drums as I made it up the last part of the hill.

Just after I crested the hill, I saw a beer stop set up in another parking area near the Diamond Head Lighthouse.  If I was still going uphill, I would’ve skipped it.  Knowing I was beginning a long downhill section, I saw no reason not to have a dixie cup of PBR before charging down this hill.

When I got my split for mile 25, I saw that I didn’t slow down at all.  I ran mile 25 in 9:19.  That's the same time as mile 24, in spite of the hill.  This was the mile that I would've been happy to run in 10 minutes.

It was downhill all the way to Kapiolani Park, and I worked it.  I reached the 41K mark just before entering the park.

Earlier in the race, we ran around one side of the park.  Now, we had to run around the other side.  I had just under half a mile to go, but I would have to go around one last bend before I could see the finish line.  The finish was level, but most of mile 26 had been downhill.  I sped up to 8:13 in that mile.  That was by far my fastest mile of the race.

With about 100 meters to go, I had a sudden urge to pee.  Was that the beer?  Was that all the water and Gatorade I drank during the race?  Was I starting to relax in anticipation of finishing?  I didn’t know, but I had to hold it in.

I finished the race in 4:10:18.  I ran negative splits by six minutes.  If you told me I would do that at the halfway mark, I wouldn’t have believed you.  Conditions were tougher in the last 10 miles, and I wasn’t trying for negative splits until the last three.  It just happened.

The finisher medals had the same design as the ones the winners received, but they weren’t made of gold.

As I made my way through the finish area, my first priority was making a bathroom stop.  Then I picked up my finisher shirt.  Most races give you a shirt at packet pickup, but some of the older races still give you your shirt at the finish line.  This is one of those old school races.

On my way out of the park, I picked up a banana and a sweet roll to eat as I walked back to the hotel.

For the rest of the day, Deb and I stayed close to the hotel.  We each had different reasons for not wanted to venture out.  Deb didn’t want to spend too much time in the intense afternoon sun.  I was too fatigued from the race to do too much additional walking.

Tomorrow, we’ll fly to Maui.  To be continued 


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:10:18
Average Pace:  9:33 per mile (5:56 per kilometer)
First Half:  2:08:15
Second Half:  2:02:03
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  501

No comments:

Post a Comment