Saturday, June 29, 2024

Beer Run and Tony Banovich 5K

On Sunday, I’ll be running the Missoula Marathon.  For the second straight year, I’m doing something called the Big 3 Challenge, which consists of a three mile beer run on Friday, the Tony Banovich 5K race on Saturday, and the Missoula Marathon on Sunday.  Runners who do all three events get a surprise gift after finishing the marathon.  Last year, it was a blanket.

I flew to Missoula on Friday, arriving in the early afternoon.  I stayed at a downtown hotel with a free airport shuttle, so I didn’t need to rent a car.

I had a couple hours before packet pickup started.  While I waited, I did a strength training workout at the hotel.  Later, I walked over to Caras Park to pick up my race packets for the marathon and the 5K race.

I went back to the hotel to drop off my race packets and change into my running clothes.  Then I went back to Caras Park for the start of the beer run.

The beer run isn’t a race.  It’s free, you don’t need to sign up, and no times are recorded.  It’s just a fun run with a free can of beer at the finish, courtesy of Big Sky Brewing.

The route for the beer run was mostly on sidewalks and side streets.  We followed the Clark Fork River for most of the first mile.  Then we crossed the river on a pedestrian bridge underneath the Madison Street Bridge.  After that, we made a big loop around the University of Montana before coming back to the bridge and retracing our route back to Caras Park.

Before the run, I was talking to a runner in his mid-70s.  We were lined up within 10 yards of the starting line.  I wasn’t planning to go fast, so I thought that was plenty close.  As it turns out, the runners in front of us were going so slow that it was difficult to run at all.

The older runner went around on the grass to get around the congestion.  I followed suit.  Once we had room to run, I found his pace to be faster than I would’ve started on my own.  I followed, but I didn’t try to keep up with him.

Soon, I found myself talking to a younger runner, who was one of the local guides.  His pace was comfortable enough at first, but after crossing the river we sped up.

Our pace for the first mile was a little faster than my training pace, but it wasn’t so fast as to be tiring for a distance that was this short.

I enjoyed our conversation, so I kept up with him even as we accelerated in the second mile.  That mile was about as fast as my marathon race pace.  It felt a bit tiring, but I kept up with him.

In the third mile, the pace felt easier.  I assumed we had slowed down, but we actually sped up.  Our last mile was 8:03.  It’s a good thing we only ran three miles.  Anything longer at that pace would’ve been overdoing it.

When I finished, I was handed a beer mug and a ticket for a free can of beer.  After finishing my beer, I walked back to the hotel and took a quick shower before dinner.  By the time I was ready for dinner, it was 7:15.  I didn’t want to be out late, because I had a 5K race the next morning, so I had dinner at the hotel’s restaurant.

The 5K race started at 8:00 Saturday morning.  The start was on Higgins Avenue, near the north end of the Beartracks Bridge.  This is the same place where the marathon finishes.  Our starting line was the marathon finish line.

I’m sure a lot of other people doing the 5K race were also doing the marathon or half marathon.  Most of them probably held back in the 5K race, so they could save their best effort for Sunday.  I took a different approach.  I went all-out in the 5K.

I run dozens of marathons every year, but I rarely run shorter distances.  I ran three 5K races last year, but before that I had not done one in 25 years.  I’ll have lots of opportunities to test myself at the marathon distance, but this was a rare opportunity to test myself in a 5K.  It was also an opportunity to use the race as speed work.  Running this race may slow me down in tomorrow’s marathon, but it’ll make me a better runner in the future.

Of the three 5K races I ran last year, this one was my fastest.  My goal this year was to beat my time from last year.

I started at a pace that had me out of breath before I was done crossing the bridge.  Last year, I accelerated until I was out of breath, and then I backed off a little.  This year, I didn’t back off, even though I was already in oxygen debt.

Another runner noticed my Comrades shirt and asked me if I’ve run Comrades.  I just said, “yup.”  Normally, this would’ve been the beginning of a conversation.  I love to tell people about Comrades.  At the pace I was running, one syllable was all I could manage.

We ran straight for about half a mile before making our first turn.  I felt like my pace was unsustainable, but I was determined to maintain the same effort until I finished the first mile.  After two more turns, I saw the banner for one mile.  I got there in 7:40.

Last year, my time for the first mile was 7:21.  I was 19 second slower, and it’s not as though I started too easy.  There was no way I could go any faster.  I was already at my limit.  If anything, I would struggle to maintain my current pace.

Halfway through the next mile, we left the streets to run on a sidewalk that took us through the University of Montana.  The sidewalk was paved with bricks, and I felt like I had to pay close attention to my footing.  Then I remembered what I did last year.  There was a narrow strip of smooth concrete on either edge of the sidewalk.  I moved over to run on the concrete strip.  Then I could focus more on my pace and effort, instead of being distracted by the bricks.

Before we were done crossing the university campus, I noticed I was no longer keeping up with all the runners ahead of me.  Just before we got back onto streets, we had to go up a small hill.  I knew I was slowing down there, but I tried to limit the damage.  When we turned onto a street again, we hit a section of road that was slightly downhill.  I used that to pick up my pace again.

My second mile was two seconds slower than the first one.  That was disappointing, but not surprising.  As I started the third mile, it was hard not to get discouraged.

We eventually turned onto a paved trail that would lead us to the Madison Avenue Bridge.  I was running behind a teenage boy who had a long, relaxed stride.  My cadence was much faster than his, but I could barely keep up with him.

We crossed the river on the pedestrian bridge underneath the Madison Avenue Bridge.  From there, the rest of the route was identical to the last part of the beer run.

After the bridge, several runners passed me.  I was fighting to hang on, knowing I wasn’t having a good race.

Familiarity with the course helped.  I fought hard and managed to speed up to 7:38 in the third mile.  By now, I should’ve been able to see the finish line, but there was a bridge blocking my view of the finish.  As I got closer to the bridge, I could see the finish line beyond it.  I got there in 24:05.

My time last year was 22:46.  I was more than a minute slower this year.  I feel like I’m in better shape now, but I’ve been training for longer distances.  I’m really lacking in speed work.

I stopped by the results tent to see how I did in my age group.  I was 4th.  I wasn’t expecting to win anything, but it never hurts to check.

After the race, I hurried back to the hotel, so I could shower and eat breakfast.  I won’t do anything else strenuous today.

Tomorrow, I’ll be running the marathon.  Stay tuned for my next race report.  It’ll be interesting to see how my marathon time compares with last year. 


Race statistics:
Distance:  5 kilometers
Time:  24:05
Average Pace:  7:46 per mile (4:49 per kilometer)


No comments:

Post a Comment