Thursday, June 13, 2024

Race Report: New England Series - Vermont

On June 13, I ran the 4th race of the Mainly Marathons New England Series.  This is a six-day series that includes marathons in each of the six New England states.  I didn’t do the entire series.  I just did the Vermont race.

I’m working on finishing my 5th circuit of marathons in all 50 states, and I needed one more Vermont marathon.  There are several marathons in Vermont, but most of them conflicted with other plans.  This race was the best schedule fit, but I needed to be able to recover sufficiently to run a marathon just 11 days after the FANS 24-Hour Run.  It’s only the second time I’ve run a marathon this soon after a 100-mile effort.  On the plus side, this race didn’t have any time limit.  If I had to, I could walk the whole way.

This was a fly and drive trip.  The race was in Springfield, VT.  I flew to Hartford, CT the day before and drove to my hotel in Brattleboro.  From Hartford, it was about 75 miles to get to Brattleboro.

When I arrived, it was too early to check into my room.  While I waited, I explored the town.  This is the Creamery Covered Bridge in Brattleboro.

I didn’t need to pick up my race packet until the next morning, so after checking into my room, I had time to do a workout at the hotel before dinner.

I had an early dinner at an Italian restaurant that was withing walking distance of my hotel.  Then I went to bed early, in anticipation of getting up early.

I slept well at first, but I woke up around midnight, and I couldn’t get back to sleep.  I was still awake at 1:30, when I started to hear a loud repetitive beeping.  I couldn’t tell for sure where it was coming from, but it was too loud to ignore.  I was about to get dressed and call down to the front desk when the noise stopped.  I went back to bed, but I was never able to get back to sleep.

This was the third straight night that I didn’t get enough sleep, but I didn’t dwell on it.  After getting up, I just focused on getting ready for the race.

The race started at 6:00 AM, but they offered a 5:00 early start for people needing more than six hours.  I felt like I was recovering well from FANS, so I took the regular start.  The drive from Brattleboro to Springfield took about 30 minutes.  I needed to pick up my race packet before the race, so I wanted to get there by 5:30.

When I arrived in Springfield, I could see the course from the highway.  I could see runners who took the early start.  I was surprised how many there were.  Between the marathon and half marathon, there were about 170 runners.  At least 100 of them took the early start.

The temperature at the start was in the low 50s, but the forecast high was in the 80s, and I expected it would be at least 70 degrees by the time I finished.  I dressed for the warmer temperatures that I was expecting in the second half of the race.  I wore gloves for the first hour.

The course was a short out-and-back along the Toonerville Trail, which is a rails-to-trails path.  For the marathon, we had to run 12 laps.  The start/finish area was gravel, but most of the course was paved.

Like all Mainly Marathons races, they had a single well-stocked aid station in the start/finish area.  We each brought our own bottles, which we could keep on the table while we were running.  Besides water and Gatorade, there were cookies, candy, sandwiches, and other food.

I felt like I was sufficiently recovered to run a marathon, but I wasn’t ready for an all-out effort.  I started the race at a pace that felt comfortable.  I wasn’t too worried about my time.

The trail was in between the highway and a river.  We often got good views of the river from the trail.



Our best view was at the turnaround, where we could see these waterfalls.

In the first few laps, my pace was somewhat erratic, but I was averaging about 10 minutes per mile.  The course was relatively flat, but I started to notice that I ran faster as I approached the turnaround, and I found the pace to be more tiring after the turn.  I started to suspect that it was downhill before the turn and uphill coming back.

My only breakfast was two small cookies, so I felt I needed to take in more calories during the race than just Gatorade.  I occasionally paused at the aid station to pick up something to eat.  That forced me to either slow down or walk while I ate, so those miles were slower.

For the first half of the race, I was running by myself.  I knew some of the runners who took the early start, but they were each in the middle of a lap when I started.  I wasn’t able to run with anyone who was going at my pace.

After six laps, I was half done.  So far, my average pace was just a little bit slower than 10 minutes per mile.  I wasn’t sure if I would run the same pace in the second half.  Already, it seemed to be taking more effort to run at the same pace.  I also expected it to get warmer in the second half.

The course was well-shaded.  I knew it was warming up, but as long as the sun wasn’t on us, I still felt fairly comfortable.

There was one wheelchair athlete.  During my 7th lap, he sped by me as we were getting closer to the turnaround.  He slowed down coming back from the turn.  That confirmed my suspicion that if was downhill before the turn and uphill after the turn.  You couldn’t actually see it.  The difference in slope was fairly subtle.

From that point on, I made a point of picking up my effort after the turnaround, to make sure I wasn’t slowing down.  I found myself speeding up before the turn and then speeding up some more afterward.  That led to my running faster in that lap.

Early in my 8th lap, I finally noticed that it was getting warmer.  The sun was getting higher in the sky, and there were places where it was shining through the trees.

During that lap, I noticed that a faster runner was coming up behind me.  He would’ve passed me, but I sped up on the downhill section before the turnaround.  Then I sped up some more coming back.  I had my fastest mile so far.

I eventually discovered that the guy behind me was a member of the 50sub4 club, so I eased up just enough for him to come alongside of me.  Then we ran together.  We ended up running together for several miles.  His name was “Mac,” and I learned that he’s also form Minnesota, and he has done the FANS race.  As we continued talking, we discovered we both live in the same city.

I didn’t realize it at first, but Mac was on pace to break four hours.  He was a lap ahead of me.  That’s the only reason we were able to run together at this point in the race.

I had a bottle at the aid station that was filled with Gatorade.  I expected to have to stop and refill it at least twice.  I finished eight laps before I needed to refill it.  I questioned whether I was drinking enough, but it never seemed to hurt my race.

As I continued running with Mac, we started recording mile splits that were faster than nine minutes.  I was now running at least a minute per mile faster than I was in the first half of the race.  Somehow, our conversation made the pace feel easier.  It quickly became apparent that if I kept running with Mac, I would easily run negative splits.

My 8th and 9th laps were my fastest so far.  I still had three laps to go, but Mac just had two.  Halfway through the 10th lap, I started to question whether I could keep up with him for another lap and a half.

As we started Mac’s last lap, I fought hard to keep up with him.  After that lap, he was done.  I still had to run one more lap on my own.

Without Mac setting the pace, I slowed down.  My first mile without him was about a minute slower than Mac’s pace, but it was still faster than my average pace in the first half of the race.

After the turnaround, I noticed the soreness in my legs as I started running slightly uphill.  I still kept up the pace though.

After the course leveled out, I saw a red building up ahead on the other side of the highway.  I remembered seeing this building near the beginning of each lap.  I was within half a mile of the finish.

By the time I reached the red building, I saw other landmarks that I knew were close to the finish.   I could almost see the last turn.

I came around the last turn, ran past the aid station, and finished the lap.  My time was 4:13:22.  I was roughly nine minutes faster in the second half.

The finisher medal had three pieces that linked together.  Runners who did more than one race in this series had longer chains of medals.

Everyone received the top and bottom pieces.  In between were medals for the individual races.  For today’s race, I had a choice of two different Vermont medals.  One was an older style.  The other was the new style.  Both were in the shape of Vermont, but the new style had icons for different things Vermont is know for, such as cows, covered bridges, and maple syrup.  I chose the new style.

After the race, I spent way too much time talking to people in the finish area.  By the time I got back to the hotel, more than two hours had elapsed since I finished.

After a race, I usually skip lunch and eat an early dinner.  I was too hungry for that.  I didn’t have much to eat before the race, and the snacks I ate during the race were no substitute for a meal.  I had to get cleaned up and change clothes first, but then I went into town to eat a late lunch.

The food I ordered was way more filling than I expected.  At this point, it’s not clear if I’ll be eating dinner.  My late lunch may have been a very early dinner.

Lack of sleep didn’t bother me during the race, but I started to feel it after lunch.  I had a bad case of the afternoon sleepies.  I spent the whole afternoon resting at the hotel.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:13:22
Average Pace:  9:40 per mile
First Half:  2:11:16
Second Half:  2:02:06
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  515
Vermont Marathons:  5

No comments:

Post a Comment