Monday, October 7, 2024

Race Report: 2024 Twin Cities Marathon

 On October 6, I ran the Twin Cities Marathon, which starts in downtown Minneapolis and finishes at the state capitol in St. Paul.  This is the 15th time I’ve run this race.  It’s a home town race, so it’s too convenient to pass up.  I also like the course.

Last year, this race was cancelled because of hot, humid conditions.  This year, the weather was much better.  Race day temperatures were in the 50s.

The expo was held at River Centre in downtown St. Paul.  I could’ve gone on Friday or Saturday.  I assumed runners coming from out of town would be going on Saturday, along with any local runners who had to work on Friday.  I went on Friday, since it was likely to be less busy.  While I was at the expo, I bumped into a few friends.

After the expo, I had dinner at Cossetta’s.  This is one of my favorite Italian restaurants, and it’s just a few blocks from River Centre.

Saturday was a warm day, but a cold front moved through overnight, bringing cooler temperatures and strong winds.

I returned from a trip to Germany on Thursday, so I only had a couple days to adjust back to my own time zone.  I usually have an easy time adjusting when I travel to Europe, but it takes longer to adjust back to my own time zone.  Since getting home, I’ve been waking up too early.  On race morning, I woke up at 1:30, and I never got back to sleep.

There was a ramp in downtown Minneapolis where we could park for free.  Parking near the start would’ve been convenient for before the race, but I chose to park near the finish area in St. Paul, so I could get home quickly after the race.

There were two easy ways to get to the start from St. Paul.  One way is to take a light rail line.  Runners could use it for free on race day by showing their race bibs.  The other way is to take buses provided by the race.  They left from two different hotels in downtown St. Paul.  I chose to catch a bus at the Radison (formerly Best Western, Kelly Inn).  I always park in a lot that’s right next to the Radison.  It’s not free, but it’s convenient.

The buses left between 5:00 and 6:45.  The marathon didn’t start until 8:00, but there was a 10-mile race that started at 7:00.

I was up early, so I started getting ready.  I arrived around 5:00, but I didn’t board a bus right away.  I wanted to get to St. Paul early to get a good parking spot, but I didn’t want to get to the start area too early, knowing it would be cold.  The temperature was in the 50s, but the wind made it feel like low 40s.

I waited until 6:15 to board a bus.  In the meantime, I waited in the lobby of the Radison, talking with other runners.

As the crow flies, it’s only 10 miles from downtown St. Paul to downtown Minneapolis.  The route the buses take is mostly on the freeway, so it didn’t take long to get there.  I was in the start area by 6:30.

The start area is right next to US Bank Stadium, which is where the Minnesota Vikings play.  As soon as I got there, I got into line to use a port-o-potty.  The lines were somewhat long, because the 10-mile race had not yet started.  That race is much larger than the marathon.  I didn’t mind waiting in line, because it didn’t have anything better to do.  I had an hour and a half before the marathon started.

After my bathroom stop, I found a place to sit down.  Other runners were sitting on the steps in front of the stadium.  Behind the steps, there were a few stone slabs.  I sat on one of the stone slabs, but they were cold.  Also, I was high enough above street level that I was exposed to the wind.

The race had a gear check, so I was able to wear extra layers.  Even so, I was shivering as I sat there in the cold wind.

While the wind was miserable before the race, I realized it would be helpful during the race.  The first 19 miles of the course make a large circle through south Minneapolis, but the last seven miles are mostly going straight east to get to the finish in St. Paul.  The wind was blowing from west to east.  We would rarely have to run directly into it, but it would be at our backs for a good portion of the race, including the last five miles.

Outside the stadium, there’s a small mock-up of a Viking ship.  I thought it was just a façade, but I noticed other runners inside it.  As turns out there’s an entrance in the back, and a bench you can sit on.  I went in and sat on the bench.  It was more comfortable than where I had been sitting, and it was partially sheltered from the wind.  I waited there until it was time to make my final bathroom stop.

By now the 10-mile race had already started.  With all those runners gone, the bathroom lines were much shorter.

When I was done with my bathroom stop, I took off my wind pants and checked my gear bag.  I kept my jacket with me until the race started.  Then I took it off and tied it around my waist.

I started running with the 3:50 pace group.  Before the start, I had a chance to talk to the pace leader.  His name was Mike.  I didn’t know for sure if I could run the whole race at that pace, but I wanted to start at that pace and see how I felt.

The first mile was through downtown Minneapolis.  It was flat, but it was directly into the wind.  At first, the runners around me sheltered me somewhat from the wind.  Within a few minutes, I started to feel the wind resistance.  That made our pace feel tiring, but I knew we would only have a headwind in the early miles.

Before the end of the first mile, I got ahead of the pace group.  As I turned the corner onto Hennepin Avenue, I looked for Mike, but I wasn’t able to spot him.

My first mile was a little fast, so I eased up a bit and kept looking for Mike.  Before long, I made the next turn onto Lyndale Avenue, which took me past the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden and the Walker Art Center.  Since I was ahead of the group, I was able to stop briefly to take a picture.

Lyndale Avenue was uphill.  I was still ahead of the 3:50 pace group, so I could afford to slow down on the hill.  As I made the next turn, I was able to look back and spot Mike.  I kept running at an easier pace until he and the group caught up to me.

Now we were running into the wind again as we ran through the Kenwood neighborhood.  It was tiring, but I knew this was the last time we would have a headwind.  When we turned again and were finally out of the wind, I was much more confident that I could keep up with the group.  For the next few miles, the wind was at our side.

I got ahead of the pace group again, so I once again used it as an opportunity to take a picture.  We were getting to the chain of lakes in south Minneapolis.  The first lake was Lake of the Isles.

After I stopped to take a picture, the group caught up to me again.  After that, I made a point of getting ahead of them whenever I was planning to take a picture.

After Lake of the Isles, we crossed Lake Street and ran around the west side of Bde Maka Ska (formerly known as Lake Calhoun).  This is typically where the crowds are loudest.  This year seemed to be an exception.  I saw big crowds later, but hardly anybody was watching here.  Maybe people were deterred by the cold wind.  Maybe some people were staying home to watch the Minnesota Vikings.  The Vikings were playing the New York Jets in London.  It was an afternoon game there, but in our time zone, the game started at 8:30 AM.

Years ago, this race always coincided with peak fall colors.  As you can see in the picture above, the leaves are just starting to turn.  With climate change, the leaves aren’t changing color as early as they used to.  Now, we don’t see peak colors until a few weeks later.

The next lake was Lake Harriet.  The first 10K race I ever ran was two laps around this lake.  There are a lot of races here throughout the year.

By the time we left Lake Harriet, we had already run more than seven miles.  We ran on residential streets for a few blocks, but then we turned onto the Minnehaha Parkway, while follows Minnehaha Creek.  Along Minnehaha Parkway, we had a tailwind.

This parkway has some rolling hills, but they’re all short.  I didn’t have any trouble maintaining a consistent pace.  The tailwind may have helped.

Around nine miles, we ran under the Nicollet Avenue bridge.  There’s always a band of some type set up under the bridge.  It’s a strategic location.  In rainy years, the bridge provides shelter.  There wasn’t any risk of rain this year.  We just had strong winds.

Before long, I started to wonder how the Vikings game was going.  It had been about an hour since the game started.  I tried to ask the spectators if anyone knew the score.  With the strong wind, nobody could hear me clearly.  Finally, one spectator told me the Vikings were ahead 10-0.

Shortly after that, I got too far ahead of the pace group.  When I looked back, I couldn’t see them.  As we turned onto Cedar Avenue to run around Lake Nokomis, I eased up a little.  I ran the next mile a little slower, but I still didn’t see Mike.

Around 12 miles, I saw a few spectators handing out bananas.  Then I saw something that impressed me.  Just down the road, another spectator was holding out a trash bag to collect the banana peels.  That guy wins spectator of the year.

Lake Nokomis used to be the race venue for the FANS 24-hour race.  I’ve logged hundreds of miles around this lake, so I always feel at home on this part of the course.

As I continued around the lake, I saw a spectator holding up a white board with the score of the Vikings game.  They were now ahead 17-0.

I paused to take a picture of the lake, and the 3:50 group caught up to me.  It wasn’t really the best place to get a view of the lake.  A short time later, there was a place where you can look across the lake and see the downtown buildings.  I wanted to stop again, but I would have fallen behind the group.  I didn’t want to have to work hard to catch up to them, so I had to skip that photo op.

We reached the halfway mark in 1:54:49.  We were 11 seconds ahead of schedule.  Shortly after that, we reached an aid station that had pickle juice.

In the next mile, we left Lake Nokomis and got back onto the Minnehaha Parkway.  We passed the 14 mile banner.  A short time later, I saw a banner that said 1 mile.  It had been one mile since we passed the halfway mark, so I realized it was the one mile banner for the half marathon.  This race never used to have a half marathon, but they apparently added one since I last ran it.

At this point, I was still with the pace group.  Then I inadvertently got ahead of them.  The 15 mile mark was in Minnehaha Park.  When I got there, I saw that I had run that mile about 25 seconds too fast.  After that, I eased up, but I remained ahead of the 3:50 group for a long time.

Soon, we turned onto West River Parkway, which follows the west bank of the Mississippi.  We were on this parkway for almost four miles.  We no longer had a tailwind, but this section was mostly flat.

We ran under another bridge that had a drum band set up nearby.  They didn’t bother to set up under the bridge.  That was a vote of confidence in the weather.

Soon, I heard one runner tell another that the score of the Vikings game was now 17-7.  The other runner said he knew that.  He was listening to the game with his earbud.  I decided to run with him for a while.

After running under the Lake Street bridge, we had to come back up a ramp.  I started to fall behind the guy who was listening the game.  Keeping up with him going uphill took too much effort.  As the road leveled off, I was able to catch up.  Then, before I knew it, I was ahead of him.  The fact that I kept running away from people was a good sign.  With nine miles to go, I wasn’t having any trouble keeping up the pace.

Just before the 19-mile mark, we went up a ramp to get onto the Franklin Avenue bridge.  This was where we crossed the river.  I stopped to take a picture and the 3:50 group passed me.  I didn’t realize they were that close to me.  I had to use the downhill side of the bridge to speed up enough to catch up to them.

As we got off of the bridge, we turned onto the East River Road.  The next two miles were along the east bank of the Mississippi.  The first mile was slightly downhill, and I pulled ahead of the 3:50 group again.  The second was slightly uphill.  This was the first mile of a three mile stretch with an uphill trend.

The toughest part was a hill just past 21, where we turned and ran out of the river valley.  I often see people walking on this hill.  I didn’t need to walk, but I slowed down a little.  I was still ahead of the 3:50 group.  As long as they were behind me, I wasn’t too concerned about slowing down temporarily on the hill.  Overall, I was on pace.

After that hill, we made two quick turns, and then we were on Summit Avenue, which would take us all the way into downtown St. Paul.  All along Summit Avenue, we had a tailwind.

Early in the race, I was cold, but now I was getting sweaty.  The sun was out now, and with the wind at my back, it wasn’t cooling me off.

After turning onto Summit Avenue, I spotted the guy who was listening to the game.  He said the score was now 17-10, and it was about halfway through the fourth quarter.  A few minutes later, we reached an aid station.  As we were leaving the aid station, he said the score was now 20-10.  That was the last score I heard until after the race.  We had four miles to go.  The next mile was uphill, but the last three have a slightly downhill trend.  I picked up my effort to make sure I wouldn’t slow down in that last uphill mile.

I was within sight of the last hill when I heard Mike giving the group a pep talk.  He was encouraging them to conquer the hill.  I stayed with the group to the top of the hill.  Then I raced ahead as the road turned downhill.

When I crossed the bridge over Ayd Mill Road, I knew I had about two and a half miles to go.  I was confident I could keep up the pace.  In mile 24, I sped up by about 20 seconds.

With a mile and a half to go, I saw a sign on my right that said “free beer.”  I veered to the right side of the road, where there was a beer stop.  There has always been a beer stop somewhere along Summit Avenue, but it’s not always in the same place.  I usually don’t stop.  This year I did.  That’s a reflection of how confident I was that I would break 3:50.

I had been drinking Nuun at every aid station, and I was getting sick of it.  The beer was refreshing.  It was a nice change of pace.

Mile 25 wasn’t as fast, but it was fast enough.  Mile 26 had a more noticeable downhill slope, so I was able to pick up the pace again.

The last seven miles of the marathon were the same as the last seven miles of the 10-mile race, so I was occasionally seeing their mile markers as well.  When I saw the “9” banner, I had exactly one mile to go.  I should’ve looked at my watch.  It would have been useful to know how fast I needed to run the last mile.  I wanted to know if I had time to stop for two more pictures.

The road curved to the left.  Soon, I could see the dome of St. Paul’s Cathedral over the trees.  A minute or two later, we ran right by it.

From here, it was sharply downhill to the finish.  I had to get around one more small curve before I had a clear view of the finish line.  Behind it, I could see the state capitol.

After pausing to take that last picture, I had trouble getting started again, even though it was downhill.  The miles were finally catching up with me.  I got there as quickly as I could, but other runners were passing me.

I finished in 3:49:02.  I broke 3:50 to notch another Boston qualifier.  I also ran negative splits by 36 seconds.  After crossing the finish line, I waited for Mike to finish.

Almost immediately, I put on my jacket.  Then I made my way to the gear bag retrieval area as quickly as I could.  Once I had my gear bag, I made my way to the beer garden.  I was thirsty.  They had a variety of beers, including one that was non-alcoholic.  I chose the NA beer, because I could drink it quickly to quench my thirst, but still be safe to drive.

I’ve done this race enough times that I know which streets are blocked off and the best alternate routes.  One part of the drive home was slow.  There’s only one place in St. Paul where you can get across Summit Avenue, and that’s Ayd Mill Road, which goes under a bridge.  Everyone else going that direction had to take the same road, so it was a bit congested.

I had a great race, but I may pay a price for it.  It’s the third straight weekend that I’ve pushed to my limit, and that may jeopardize my chances of running a fast time next weekend in Chicago.

Sunday night, my sleep was restless.  I usually sleep best after a hard effort.  Instead, I woke up during the night feeling jittery.  That could be a symptom of overtraining (or in this case, overracing).


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  3:49:02
Average Pace:  8:44 per mile
First Half:  1:54:49
Second Half:  1:54:13
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  529
Minnesota Marathons/Ultras:  104
Boston Qualifiers:  170

 


No comments:

Post a Comment