Sunday, September 20, 2026

Race Report: Northwest Series, Day 2

Today was the second day of the Mainly Marathons Northwest Series.  Today’s race was in Hermiston, OR.  It was the same course as yesterday’s race.

Today I arrived earlier, so I could take the early start at 5:30 AM.  I wanted to finish earlier, since I needed time to drive back to Kennewick and get cleaned up before checking out and getting on the road.  Today was the only day that I’ll have to do that.  The next four races are all close to each other, so I’ll be able to stay in the same hotel for the rest of the series.

I only slept for about half the night.  Then I woke up and couldn’t get back to sleep.  I’m usually able to shake that off, but today I couldn’t.  I was dragging.

During pre-race announcements, they always recognize runners who are reaching a big milestone.  Today was Clyde Shank’s 800th marathon, but this was no ordinary celebration.

Clyde does cryochamber treatments to help him recover from races.  He recently posted a picture on Facebook that showed him standing next to the cryochamber in his underwear.  Today, to tease him about that, dozens of runners doing the early start wore tidy whities over their running clothes.

Clyde was a good sport about it.  He also put on a pair of underwear over his running clothes.  It was a real spectacle throughout the races seeing all these runners wearing underwear over their running gear.  I wonder what other people using the trail thought of it.


I learned yesterday how dark it is before 6:30.  There’s no light sources along the course, so a flashlight or headlamp was essential for the first hour.  I started the race with a small flashlight.

I wanted to go a little faster today, so I could get back to my hotel sooner.  At a minimum, I wanted to keep my time under 5:30.  Five hours would be better, but I had to see how it went.

Because I was starting earlier, it was chilly for an extra hour before it started to warm up.  I wore a warmer T-shirt than the one I wore yesterday.  Like yesterday, I started the race with gloves and a Tyvek jacket.

Most people who took the early start were walking, but there were several other people who started out running.  I just followed them.

A few of those runners took walking breaks the first time they reached a hill.  My legs were cold, so I had to keep running to stay warm.

I started at about the same pace as yesterday, but by the time I reached the turnaround, I was already falling behind the lead group of runners.  From that point on, I was always running by myself.

As I was finishing my first lap, I saw a faint orange glow on the horizon.  The course was still dark though.

By my second lap, I was already slowing down.  Already, I was almost a minute per mile slower.  I kept up that slower pace for the first half of the race.

After my second lap, there was enough light that I no longer needed my flashlight.  I stopped at the aid station to put it in my drop bag.

Now I could clearly see where the hills were.  I was tempted to walk the hills, but my legs were still too cold to take walking breaks.  I had to keep running until it warmed up.

The temperature was still dropping until the sun rose.  An hour into the race it was a degree or two colder than when we started.

As I reached the turnaround in my third lap, I saw a blanket of fog over a field that was just past the turnaround.  I’m sure that fog was there earlier, but it was too dark for me to see it.

After three laps, I was roughly on pace for a five-hour finish, but I knew that wasn’t a realistic goal.  I had already slowed down since my first lap, and I would eventually need to start taking walking breaks.

By the end of my fourth lap, I was feeling sweat under my jacket.  My legs were still cold, but I needed to unzip my jacket.

They always have some type of hot food at the aid station.  Today, it was breakfast poutine.  As I started my fifth lap, I grabbed a cup of it at the aid station and walked while I ate it.  It was nice to eat something warm, but the walking break gave my legs a chance to get colder.

After another lap, I was finally warm enough that I could take off my jacket.  I still needed my gloves for two more laps.

As I started my sixth lap, I was no longer worried about my legs getting cold if I walked.  I was tempted to start walking the hills, but I forced myself to keep running them for one more lap.

After six laps, I was half done.  My halfway split was 12 minutes slower than yesterday, even though I didn’t do any walking yet.  I was just slow today.

For the first half of the race, I was drinking Coke.  I was hoping the caffeine would give me an energy boost, but it didn’t seem to help at all.  Before starting lap seven, I filled my bottle with Gatorade and made a bathroom stop.

Starting with lap seven, I took walking breaks on the hills.  On the way out, there were two short hills that I consistently walked.  After that, it was mostly downhill all the way to the turnaround.

Coming back from the turnaround there were two long uphill sections.  The first one was a gently enough grade that I could force myself to run it.  The next one was more tiring.  For the rest of the race, I always had to walk that section.

There were two more short uphill sections after that.  In lap seven, I was able to run them.  Starting with lap eight, I had to walk the last one.

With four laps to go, I had to drag myself through each lap, but I was disciplined about where I walked.  I stuck to the same pattern for the rest of the race.

It wasn’t until my 11th lap that I realized I was getting hot and sweaty.  It warms up quickly after the sun comes up, but starting earlier meant I got farther into the race before I felt the heat.

As I started my last lap, I allowed myself to take an extra walking break, so I could eat a turkey sandwich.  As soon as I put the last bite in my mouth, I forced myself to resume running.

I always found the turnaround point to be the toughest part of the course.  After the turn, I was beginning the uphill direction.  I wanted to immediately start walking, but I had to force myself to run.  I was relieved when I made that turn for the last time.

I finished the race in 5:20:20.  The first half was slower than yesterday, but the second half was much faster.  I needed to do that, so I could get on the road as soon as possible.

I got another piece to add to my chain of medals.  This was another Oregon medal, but it was a different style from yesterday’s medal.

I managed to leave by 11:00.  I got back to my hotel in Kennewick around 11:30.  I didn’t need to check out until 2:00, so I had more than enough time to have a snack, take a bath, do some stretching and finish packing.  I didn’t take any longer than I needed.  I had a long drive ahead of me, and I wanted to get on the road as soon as I could.

For the rest of this series, I’ll be staying at a hotel in Lewiston, ID.  From Kennewick, it took about two hours and 45 minutes to drive to my hotel in Lewiston.  The drive was mostly on two-lane local roads.  At one point, I went an hour and a half without seeing any towns.  When I finally drove through a small town with a gas station, I stopped to fill up.

Tomorrow’s race is in Clarkston, WA, which is just across the river from Lewiston.  I can take the 6:30 start, so I won’t need to get up as early.  Today was the only day that I needed to change hotels after the race, so I won’t need any more early starts.

The first two races of this series were much more tiring than I expected them to be.  That doesn’t bode well for the rest of the series.  My only time goal is to keep the rest of my finish times under six hours, but that may prove to be difficult.  I desperately need to get more sleep tonight.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  5:20:20
Average Pace:  12:13 per mile
First Half:  2:33:02
Second Half:  2:47:18
Marathons/Ultras in 2026:  32
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  604

No comments:

Post a Comment