Monday, September 7, 2026

Race Report: A Race For The Ages - 2026

Over Labor Day weekend, I ran a race in Manchester, TN called A Race for the Ages.  This is a fixed-time race, but there’s a twist.  Older runners get more time.  Everyone has at least 40 hours, but runners who are older than 40 get one hour for every year of their age.

The race director is Gary Cantrell (a.k.a. Lazarus Lake).  “Laz” is best known as the race director of the Barkley Marathons and Big’s Backyard Ultra.  He comes up with some innovative race concepts.  He also designs races that give you a chance to find your limits.

The race finishes at noon on Labor Day.  Your start time depends on your age, with older runners starting earlier.  I first heard of this race several years ago.  When I looked into the details, I saw that my start time would be in the middle of the night.  I decided to wait until I was old enough that I could start in daylight.  This year, for the first time, I could start before sunset.

John Greene travelled to Tennessee with me to crew for me.  John and I have crewed for each other at FANS, and John has also crewed for me at other ultras.  My best performances in ultras gave been at races where John was with me.

Thursday, September 3

John and I flew to Nashville Thursday afternoon.  From there, we drove to Manchester.  The drive time was about an hour.  We arrived in Manchester around 5:00 PM.

We had reservations at Hampton Inn.  When we got there, there were several people already there who were waiting to check in.  Some had already been waiting for more than an hour.  The wifi went out earlier in the afternoon, and the hotel couldn’t process any credit cards without a wifi connection.  The guy at the front desk said he couldn’t check anyone in without running their credit card.  That was corporate policy.

John and I waited there until 8:00 before finally going to dinner.  When we got back from dinner, the wifi was still out.  We cancelled our reservations there and drove to another hotel that had been recommended by a friend who was also doing the race.

This hotel also had no internet.  It was a city-wide outage, and every hotel in Manchester was affected, since they all use the same internet provider.  The owner of this hotel, however, was willing to check us into our rooms and wait until the next day to process our credit cards.

John and I were going to have different sleep schedules, so we each had our own room.  By the time we got into our rooms, it was after 9:30.  The temperature in my room was 80 degrees.  I can’t sleep in a warm room.  I turned down the AC and went to the lobby to hang out with other runners until the room cooled down.

I finally went to bed around 10:30.  The room was a little cooler, but it was still too warm for me to get to sleep.  I tried to sleep for several hours, but didn’t fall asleep until about 4 AM.  I got about an hour of light sleep.  I don’t think I got any deep sleep.

Friday, September

By Friday morning, the hotel had their wifi working.   John and I finished the check-in process and had breakfast at the hotel.

We stopped by Hampton Inn to confirm that our reservations there were cancelled and there wouldn’t be any charges.  Then we stopped by the race venue to see how things were set up.  While we were there, I spotted a couple runners I know.  Next, we stopped at Food Lion to get beverages for the race.

We had lunch at a local diner.  Then I went back to the hotel to try to take a nap.  My hotel room was now at a comfortable temperature, but I wasn’t able to fall asleep.  After resting in bed for a few hours, I got up and started getting organized for the race.

We had an early dinner, so I wouldn’t be starting the race on a full stomach.  About an hour before I was due to start, we went to the race venue, so I could check in.  That gave us an opportunity to watch the 66-year-old runners start.  The announcer listed all of their names and their previous mileage at this race.  The most accomplished runner in the group was Ann Trason.

After they started, I was able to pick up my race packet.  It included a sweatshirt, a warm hat, an umbrella, and a participation award.

After that, we had an hour to wait before I could start.  During that hour, I drank an entire bottle of sweet tea.

The course was a paved one-mile loop through Fred Deadman Park.  The whole course was paved.  It was relatively flat, but there were several turns.

I’m 65 years old, so I had 65 hours to run or walk as many laps as I could.  I could take breaks at any time, but the clock was always running.

Well over half of the other runners were older than me, so they were already on the course when I started.  The oldest runner had already been on the course for 24 hours.  The youngest runners wouldn’t start until 8 PM on Saturday.

I’ve never done anything this long before, so I didn’t know what I could realistically expect to do.  The farthest I had ever run before was 124.81 miles.  That was in a 24-hour race.  I’ve attempted three 48-hour races, but none of them went well.  I always got to 100 miles, but I never exceeded my best 24-hour total.

The weather was about as hot as you can imagine.  Afternoon highs were in the upper 90s, with enough humidity to feel 10 degrees hotter.  In the early morning hours, it dropped into the low 70s.

Friday was the hottest day, but my start time wasn’t until 7 PM.  That was late enough in the day that the heat was beginning to wane.  Also, the sun was about to set.  The first night was my best chance to get some miles in before the heat forced me to mostly walk.

My first goal for this race was 125 miles.  Beyond that, I had to see how the race progressed.  I knew the heat would be a challenge.  Getting so little sleep the night before also didn’t help.

The first lap was the only one that I ran without any walking breaks.  I went at a pace that should have been leisurely, but it quickly started to feel tiring.  I noticed the humidity while I was waiting for my turn to start, but I felt it even more now.  It made that first lap feel much longer than a mile.

One part of the loop had speed bumps.  They weren’t a big deal now, but I wondered if those would seem larger as the race progressed.

After that, every lap included some walking.  Early in the race, I was doing much more running than walking, but I walked enough to ensure my overall pace wouldn’t be tiring.  I established a rule that every lap had to include some walking.

I was able to complete three laps before it got dark.  After that, I relied on light from the various lights in the park.  That included stadium lights from the baseball diamonds.  There was no need for a flashlight or headlamp.

I quickly got into a nice rhythm.  I felt much better now than I did in my first lap.

I had a cooler with several bottles of Gatorade, packed in ice.  There was an aid station with large dispensers of water, Sword, sweet tea, and lemonade.  I started out drinking Gatorade, but as I finished the bottles I brought, John was refilling them with Sword or sweet tea.  I needed the caffeine from the tea to stay alert during the night.

After a few hours, John went back to the hotel to get some sleep.  I didn’t need as much support the first night, and it was important for John to get sleep so he would be coherent when I was too tired to think straight.

By midnight, I had logged 23 miles.  Then I stopped to eat my first meal.

The aid stations at most ultras have a variety of snack foods.  This race is different.  Every six hours, we had a meal, catered by Cracker Barrel.  At 6 AM, noon, and 6 PM, we got full meals.  At midnight, we had a snack that included fruit and a choice of soup.  The choices of soup were chicken noodle or potato.  I opted for the potato soup.

Saturday, September 5

Despite not getting much sleep before the race, I had no trouble getting through the first night.  I was sometimes drinking sweet tea instead of Gatorade or Sword, and the caffeine helped me stay awake and alert.

At 6 AM, I had my first Cracker Barrel breakfast.  It includes bacon, a hash brown casserole, a biscuit with gravy on the side, and baked apples.

I sat down in a chair that I had brought from home, and I ate everything except the gravy.  I ate as quickly as I could, washing it down with Gatorade.  I’ve never eaten a full meal during a race before, but I wanted to experience this race exactly the way Laz organized it.  I wasn’t eating any solid food between meals, so I needed to get all the food I could whenever it was available.  It took me about 10 minutes to finish eating.  That was pretty consistent with all of the meals.

After eating, it was tough to force myself to run.  As I ran my next lap, I saw the sun rising.  I knew the humidity was also rising.  That was confirmed when I saw a layer of fog over all the baseball diamonds.

I got back into the same rhythm and ran three more laps by 7:00.  In the first 12 hours of the race, I ran 48 miles.  I was averaging four laps per hour.

Now that the sun was up, I needed to stop to apply sunblock.  I also reapplied Aquaphor in areas where I might chafe.

I needed to do more walking now.  I was walking the longest uphill section, but there were other areas that were also slightly uphill.  I started walking those sections as well.  I was now doing twice as much walking as before, but I was still doing more running than walking.

When John got back, he added more ice to our cooler, so I could start putting ice in my hat.  I did that a couple times, but there were also a couple laps where I forgot to do that.  I really noticed the difference in those laps.

I was originally planning to run through the first night and the subsequent day before taking a sleep break.  John persuaded me to try sleeping during the day instead.  That way, I could avoid running during the hottest hours of the day and get back in time to run through the night, when it’s not as hot.

At first, it was cloudy, so the temperature wasn’t rising as fast as it did Friday morning.  Around 9:00, the sun came out.  Suddenly it felt much hotter.

I wanted to get to 60 miles before taking a break, but I was worried.  I couldn’t tell if I was properly hydrated.  I also couldn’t tell if I was getting the right amount of electrolytes.  Rather than risk blowing up in the heat, I went back to the hotel after only 58 miles.  It was a little after 10:00 when John dropped me off.

When we got back to the hotel, I didn’t take the time to shower.  I wiped down briefly with a wash cloth, but I was still somewhat sweaty.  That made it difficult to climb into bed.  My skin was sticking to the sheets.

At first, I didn’t know if I would be able to fall asleep.  I was in an awkward position, but it was hard to move.  I was tangled up in the sheets.

The next thing I knew, I was walking up.  I looked at the clock.  I slept for less than three hours, but it was my first deep sleep since arriving in Manchester.

I tried to walk to the bathroom, but my left Achilles tendon was so tight that I was walking with a limp.  I was up now, but getting myself ready to run again would be a long process.  I started with a warm bath.  Then I was able to do some stretches.  Finally, I got dressed in a clean set of running clothes and a dry pair of shoes.

Besides having timing chips on our race bibs, we also had chips on our shoes.  When I left the course, I had to turn in my shoe chip.  The first order of business when we got back was to get my shoe chip and attach it to my new shoes.

We got back to the course around 3:00.  I had missed the noon meal, so I asked if they still had any.  They did, and they were still hot.  It’s easy to keep meals hot when it’s 94 degrees with sunny skies.

The noon meal consisted of a chicken breast, corn, fried okra, cornbread, and a biscuit.  I ate the chicken, okra, and cornbread.  I gave the biscuit and corn to John.

Earlier, I established the rule that every lap had to include some walking.  Now, I had a second rule.  Every lap also had to include some running.  That was hardest in the first lap after returning.  There was a downhill section at the beginning of each lap.  If nothing else, I forced myself to run that.

On my first lap, I noticed two things.  First, the port-o-potties on the course felt like ovens.  Second, there was heat rising from the pavement, which had been heating up under the afternoon sun.

To cope with the heat, I was putting ice cubes in my hat before every lap, and I was going at a slower pace than I did earlier.

My only goal for my afternoon laps was to finish them in 20 minutes or less.  After a couple of laps, I found that I was walking so briskly that I was finishing laps in 16 or 17 minutes.  I was power walking.  I kept up that pace for several hours.

By the time they served the 6 PM meal, I had already completed 11 additional laps.  Then I sat down to eat again.

The evening meal consisted of a huge piece of fried chicken, cheesy hashbrowns, cornbread, a biscuit, and coleslaw.  I couldn’t eat it all.  I managed to eat a little more than half of it, then I resumed the same mix of running and power walking.

It was John’s birthday, so he had gone to have a nice dinner.  He got back just before 7:00.

At 7 PM, it had been 24 hours since my race started.  So far, I had finished 71 miles.

After a couple more hours, I decided to stop power walking and just walk at a more casual pace.  I haven’t trained to do this much power walking, and I was worried I would wear myself out.  Even with less effort, I was still finishing my laps in about 18 minutes.

John went back to the hotel around 10:30, so he could get some sleep.  Shortly after that, I started to hear thunder.

There wasn’t any sign of rain at the park, but I sometimes saw flashes in the distance.  I was seeing distant lighting in two different directions.  We seemed to be in between two storm cells.

By midnight, I had logged 88 total miles.  Then I had my midnight snack.  It was the same snack we had the previous night.  I had the potato soup again.

Sunday, September 6

I was just about to start running again when another runner said she was going to do one more lap before the storm hit.  I asked her what she was seeing on her weather app.  She said the storm would arrive at 12:30 and last about an hour.

I should have checked my own app.  Instead, I followed her lead and tried to squeeze in one more lap.

I picked up the pace on that lap, but I was still mostly walking.  When I felt drops, I started running.  I somehow found the energy to run the rest of that lap.  I still had a quarter mile to go when it turned into a downpour.

When I finished that lap, I quickly loaded the chair and cooler into the car.  By the time I got into the car myself, my clothes and shoes were soaked.

I drove back to the hotel to wait out the storm.  While I was there, I decided to try to take a nap.

Getting to sleep wasn’t easy.  For starters, it had only been about 11 hours since I woke up from my afternoon nap, so I wasn’t getting sleepy yet.  Secondly, I suddenly noticed painful spots on my feet.  I had been tuning them out before, but now the discomfort was impossible to ignore.  Finally, I felt wired from all the caffeine I had been consuming.

I wasn’t expecting to go back to the hotel for at least 10 more hours.  All evening, I had been drinking either sweet tea or a blend of sweet tea and lemonade.  It wasn’t until now that I realized I was drinking way too much caffeine.

I eventually nodded off, but not for very long.  When I woke up, it was 3:00.  Just like in the afternoon, my Achilles tendon was so tight that I could barely walk.  I had to take a bath and gradually work on stretching everything before I could go back to the course.  I finally got back around 4:40.

When I finished my next lap, I drank the last few ounces of sweet tea from a bottle that was already open.  After that, I didn’t have any caffeine for the rest of the morning.

I ran a few more laps before breakfast.  Breakfast was pancakes with maple syrup, scrambled eggs, and sausage patties.  It was so filling, that I felt full for the rest of the morning.

John got there around 7:30.  By then, I just needed two more laps to get to 100 miles.  I finished my 100th lap at 8:20 AM.  At this point, I was assured of a 100-mile buckle, but that was only an intermediate goal.

I was completing about three laps per hour.  In the next two hours, I ran six more laps.  By then it was getting hot, so John and I went back to the hotel.

I managed to take a nap, but I only slept for about an hour and a half.  When I woke up, it was about 12:30 PM.  Then I once again began the long process of bathing, stretching, and working on muscles with the massage stick.

Before going back to the course, I checked the live results.  Despite taking four sleep breaks, I was in fifth place overall.

We got back to the park around 2:00 PM.  The good news is that I still had 22 hours to add to my total.  The bad news is that I had to endure the heat for five hours before the sun went down.

I had missed the noon meal, but they still had biscuits and cornbread.  I ate a biscuit right away and saved the cornbread for later.

As I resumed running, I quickly got into a rhythm of running the downhill segment at the beginning of each lap and walking everywhere else.  To cope with the heat, I put ice in my hat before each lap.

Most of the other runners were coping with the heat by carrying umbrella to shield themselves from the sun.  That’s why we all got umbrellas in our race packets.

Despite the afternoon heat, I had the energy to power walk.  For the next three hours, I was averaging about 17 minutes per lap.  I would’ve been happy with 20-minute laps.

By 4:00, I had moved into fourth place.  At 5:00, John left temporarily to get some dinner.

The heat was waning, but I no longer had the energy to walk at a brisk pace.  I had to slow down.

After a few slower laps, I realized that I hadn’t put any ice in my hat since John left.  That’s why I had less energy, even though it wasn’t as hot now.  I was getting hotter without the ice in my hat.

At 6:00, I had my last dinner of the race.  It was another huge meal.  It included chicken & dumplings, macaroni & cheese, steamed carrots, a biscuit, and cornbread.  I ate most of it, but I had to save the biscuit & cornbread for later.

When John got back, I resumed putting ice in my hat.  I was able to pick up the pace again.

In the first 48 hours of my race, I ran 123 miles.  Two laps later, I reached 125 miles.  This was now the farthest I had ever run.  With each additional lap, I would add to that.

My goal at the beginning of the race was 125 miles, but I had known for some time that this was just another intermediate milestone.  I had more than enough time to run 150 miles, and I wouldn’t settle for anything less.

After it got dark, I traded my hat for a headband.  I continued at the same pace until 11:00.

After 11:00, I started to do more running, so I could squeeze in another lap before the midnight snack.  In retrospect, that was a mistake.

I sat for several minutes while I ate my midnight snack and did a few things on my phone.  Sitting after running a few faster laps was a bad combination.

Monday, September 7

When I resumed running after a meal, I typically feel stiff.  After other meals, I quickly loosened up.  This time I didn’t.  I also had extreme soreness in my quads and glutes, which wouldn’t go away.  Now, I was not only running at a slower pace, but each lap was agonizing.

Before midnight, I had run 139 miles.  After grinding out three painful laps, I was at 142.  The next big milestone was 150.

John and I discussed my options.  One option was to endure eight more painful laps and then stop at 150 miles.  Eight more laps at my current slow pace would take About three hours.  I didn’t think I could endure the pain that long.  I also didn’t like the idea of stopping at 150.  I really wanted to keep going until the race was over and run as many miles as I could.

I had some Tylenol and ibuprofen back at my hotel room.  My second option was to send John back to get them.

A third option was to take a break and go back to the room, to see if I could alleviate my soreness by taking a bath, stretching, and working on my legs with a massage stick.  That had worked well after sleep breaks.

I ran one more lap while considering my options.  I chose the last one, but with a small modification.  After taking something for the soreness, I climbed into bed for an hour.  That gave me a chance to rest and cool down before starting my recovery regiment.

As soon as I climbed into bed, I noticed soreness in my feet that I had tuned out while I was running.  I also noticed blisters on my left foot.  One was a large blister around my heel.

Before getting dressed I tried to drain my blisters.  That was a mistake.  Heel blisters are notoriously difficult to drain.  All I managed to do was inflame it.  Now blister pain was also going to be a bigger problem.

We got back to the race venue at 4 AM.  When we got back, I smeared from Aquaphor over the blisters to reduce friction.

We had been gone for about two and a half hours.  That was time well spent.  When I resumed running, I felt good as new.  I had no soreness or stiffness as I ran the downhill section of the course.  When it was time to switch to walking, I suddenly found myself race-walking.  Where did that come from?  I had to force myself to slow down, so I wouldn’t wear myself out.

In the next two hours, I made short work of the seven additional laps I needed to get to 150 miles.  Then I stopped to eat breakfast.

The breakfast included bacon, two biscuits, an egg casserole, and baked apples.  John helped me by eating one of the biscuits and a strip of bacon.

The runner who had previously been in third place stopped to take a break after running 150 miles.  When I ran my 151st lap, I moved temporarily into third place.

Since different runners take breaks at different times, the standings change frequently.  
Earlier, I had been in second place, but only because other runners took breaks.

I kept up a good pace for two more laps.  Then it got difficult.  With more than four hours to go, it was getting warmer, and I was running out of energy.

150 miles had been a significant milestone, but I wanted to keep going.  I had time to get into the 160s if I could keep moving until the end of the race.

The runner who had been in third place previously was back on the course now.  He could run faster than me, so it seemed doubtful that I could hang onto third place.

I was nearing the end of my 157th lap when I suddenly felt a painful blister under one of my toes.  The larger blister on my heel was tolerable, but this one was much more painful.

I finished that lap, but I didn’t think I could continue.  John knew there were trophies to the top three men and women, so he was encouraging me to keep running.

I took off my shoe and sock to see if I could drain the blister.  That’s when I saw a much larger blister on the side of my heel, right where I had tried to drain my heel blister.

I drained both blisters as much as I could.  Then I covered the larger blister with Aquaphor and put on my sock and shoe.

At John’s urging, I tried to run another lap.  I made it about 50 feet before stopping.  It was much too slow and much too painful.  My lead over fourth place was only about a lap and a half at this point.  We still had still three hours to go.  There was no way I could continue running at a pace that would keep me in third place.

I walked away from the course with three hours left on the clock.  I ran a total of 157 miles.  That’s more than 22 miles farther than my previous best.

Everyone who ran at least 100 miles got a belt buckle.  I didn’t take home a trophy, but I did take home a belt buckle.



Race statistics:
Distance:  157 miles
Time:  65 hours
Average Pace:  24:50 per mile
Marathons/Ultras in 2026:  30
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  602
Lifetime 100s:  17

No comments:

Post a Comment