Sunday, March 29, 2020

RunningIsLife Day 1: 2011 Firecracker Triple


Today, I was nominated by my friend Rosie to do a Facebook challenge called #RunningIsLife.  Here’s the text of the original challenge:

Every day select an image from a day in the life of a runner - a photo from a day you felt fierce or you had a great race or a workout, and post it without a single explanation, then nominate somebody to take the challenge.  That is 10 days, 10 running photos, 10 nominations and no explanations.  Be active, be positive, be passionate. Raise awareness of the importance of running.”

I don’t usually do these Facebook challenges.  They’re sort of like chain letters.  This time, I decided to make an exception.  This blog is mostly a vehicle for writing about my experiences traveling to various races.  I haven’t run a marathon since March 1t, and it’ll probably be months before I run another one.  All my travel plans are on hold, so I haven’t had much to write about.

Instead of posting a photo without explanation, I’m going to accompany each photo with a recollection of my experience at the race where the photo was taken.  Here’s my photo for today.



This photo was taken at the Foot Traffic Flat Marathon on July 4, 2011.  This was the third day of the inaugural Firecracker Triple.  The other runner in the photo is Kim Gray.

This was the first time I ever ran marathons on three consecutive days, so I didn’t know what to expect.  On two previous occasions, I had run marathons on back-to-back days.  Each time, my legs were sore and stiff the second day.

At the time, I was consistently running times in the 3:05 to 3:15 range.  My plan was to hold back a little on day one, running just fast enough to break 3:30.  I expected to be slower in the remaining two races, but I though breaking four hours each day was a realistic goal.

I knew most of the other runners would just be trying to finish each day.  I thought if I paced myself to keep all my times under four hours that might be good enough to win the award for the fastest combined time.

The first race was the Stars & Stripes Marathon.  When I arrived at the start, I saw Chuck Engle picking up his race packet.  I quietly asked the race director, Steve Walters, if Chuck was running all three days.  Steve said, “yes.”  Chuck is WAY out of my league.  I decided to forget about competing for the best combined time, but I stuck to my plan to run just hard enough to break 3:30 the first day.   Chuck easily won that race with a time that was well under three hours.  I finished a distant second with a time of 3:26:43.

The second race was the Freedom Marathon.  I knew Chuck would win the race, but I impulsively decided to race for second place.  Surprisingly, my legs didn’t feel sore.  I actually ran faster that day, finishing in 3:22:53.

Before the third race, Steve Walters sent an email to everybody who was signed up for all three races.  Chuck opted to skip the third race.  That meant I was suddenly in first place for combined time.

Among the women, Rebecca Yi had the best combined time, but Kim Gray was within striking distance.  I remember telling Kim she could still catch Rebecca with a strong race on day three.

I started faster that day.  In contrast to the previous day, this time my legs were screaming at me.  I caught up to two friends who were pacing for 3:20.  On a long out-and-back section, all the other runners doing the triple were shouting out their encouragement.  I ran negative splits that day, finishing in 3:18:10 and easily winning the triple.  My enthusiasm overcame the pain and fatigue in my legs.  I can’t remember a day when I’ve ever felt more excited about running.

Kim also had a great race.  She came close to setting a PR that day.  More significantly, she came from behind to overtake Rebecca in the race for fastest combined time among the women.

No comments:

Post a Comment