Monday, March 30, 2020

RunningIsLIfe Day 2: 1998 FANS 24-Hour Race


For 10 days, I’m posting a running photo, along with a brief recollection of the race where the photo was taken.  Here’s todays photo:


This photo was taken at the FANS 24-Hour race in 1998.  This was my first ultramarathon.  I went in with a goal of running 100 miles.  I paced myself well and finished with 111.2 miles, despite losing about 45 minutes when everyone had to take shelter because of a thunderstorm.  That was good enough for a top five finish.

The woman running alongside me in the photo above is Sue Olsen.  Sue is a living legend.  She’s run every FANS race except the first one and has by far the most combined mileage.  She was the top female numerous times, and on at least two occasions she was the overall winner.

Six years ago, I wrote a Throwback Thursday post describing this race in more detail.  Here’s a link to it if you want to read more about my first ultra.

No comments:

Post a Comment