Sunday, July 9, 2023

2023 National Senior Games: 5K Road Race

On July 9, I did the 5K road race event at the National Senior Games in Pittsburgh.  This was my final event.

I don’t usually travel out of state for races as short as this.  I flew to Pittsburgh for the 1,500 meter and 5,000 meter race-walk events, because I knew I could be competitive within my age group in both events.  I had no reasonable expectation of placing in the 5K run, but I qualified for it, and I was going to be in Pittsburgh anyway, so why not stay one more day and do another event?

The 5K race was held at Schenley Park.  It was a single loop that started and finished on Schenley Drive, near the west end of the park.  The race started at 7:00 AM.  I wasn’t sure how much earlier I should arrive to check in and pick up my race bib.

At athlete check-in on Thursday, I was talking to someone who lives in the area.  He said the parking lot inside the park was small, and I would probably need to look for street parking.  Without knowing how long it would take to find close parking, I figured I should arrive early.  My experience at athlete check-in told me that everyone else would also arrive early, so I decided to leave the hotel at 5:30.  That, unfortunately, meant setting my alarm for 4:30.

As it happens, I was awake by 4:00, so I started getting ready.  I was planning to leave the hotel before they started their breakfast service, so I had breakfast in my room.  I made a cup of tea and ate some Pop Tarts from a vending machine.

The race started and finished near the Phipps Conservatory.  There’s a small parking lot in front of the conservatory.  That’s where I ideally wanted to park, but I knew the parking there was somewhat limited.  I left the hotel as soon as I was ready, and I got to the parking area almost two hours before the race started.  By arriving so early, I was able to get one of the closest parking spaces, right in front of the conservatory.


When I got there, the volunteers were just starting to set up for packet pickup.  While I waited, I talked to a few of the other runners.  I wasn’t the only one to arrive early.

Pittsburgh is hilly, so it’s not surprising that Schenley Park would be hilly.  Some of the other runners had driven the course, and they told me what to expect.  I learned that the first mile would be mostly uphill, with one really steep section.  After that, the course would be rolling hills until the last mile.  Then it would be sharply downhill.

The tents for packet pickup were right in front of where I parked.  When the volunteers were ready, I picked up my race bib.


My parking spot was also close to the port-o-potties.  I still had a long time to wait before the race, so I made a couple bathroom stops.

Two weeks ago, I ran a 5K race in 22:43.  Ideally, my goal in this race would be to improve on that time.  After learning how hilly this race is, I realized my time on this course wouldn’t be comparable to my time on a flat course.

Earlier, I had looked up the results from last year to get an idea what it takes to place in the top eight.  Last year, the 8th place time was 21:11.  I knew that was way out of reach.  Even on a flat course, I would be at least a minute slower than that.

It was 70 degrees, with high humidity.  It started sprinkling a few minutes before the race started.  There was heavier rain in the forecast, but that wasn’t supposed to arrive until later in the morning.

I started the race at a pace that was fast enough to have me breathing hard, but it wasn’t as fast as I would’ve started on a flat course.  I held back just a little, knowing what was coming.  Within a few minutes, the road turned uphill.  It quickly got steep enough that I was forced to slow down.  My pace felt much slower than what I think of as a 5K race pace, but I was still out of breath.

It took a long time to get up that first hill.  As it began to level off, I worked hard to pick up my pace, even though I was still going slightly uphill.

After cresting the first hill, we came downhill briefly before making a right turn.  Then I saw that we had to go uphill again.  After that, the course was rolling until the last mile of the race.

When I finished the first mile, my time was 8:14.  That was almost a minute slower than my time in the first mile of a 5K race that I ran two weeks ago.  It was disappointing, but not surprising.

As I started the second mile, I sometimes found it hard to maintain my motivation.  I wasn’t running for place, and I wasn’t going to run a fast time.  I was still committed to running this course as fast as a could, but I knew it would be a slower time than I ran two weeks ago.  I just had to focus on giving it my best effort.

On downhill sections, I worked hard to run them fast.  On uphill sections, I had to manage my effort, so as to keep from wearing myself out.  I tried to accelerate as soon as a hill started leveling off, knowing it would get easier when I crested the hill.

In the second mile, there were a lot of turns.  Often, I couldn’t see what was coming.  As I ran up a hill that seemed to be leveling off, but I had to wait until I got around a bend before I could see if I was near the top.  Then I saw a bridge.  Was that the top?  By the time I got onto the bridge, I could see runners ahead of me making a sharp right turn and going up a steeper hill.  It was steep enough to have switchbacks.

The two mile mark was in the middle of that hill.  I ran the second mile in 7:32.  That was still slower than my average pace two weeks ago, but it was a big improvement over the first mile.

After another switchback, I could see that the hill continued, but it wasn’t quite as steep.  I knew that the last mile was mostly downhill, so I gambled that this was the last hill.  Before reaching the top, I began to accelerate.

When the road finally turned downhill, I tried to speed up, but I was already at my aerobic limit.  Finally, I reached a steeper section.  I was able to speed up a little, but not as much as I wanted.  If nothing else, the steepest part of the hill allowed me to catch my breath a little.

Eventually, the road started to level off.  It was still downhill, but as it got closer to being level, it was much harder to maintain my pace.

As I came within sight of the last turn, I looked at my watch.  I had run 2.83 miles so far.  I felt like I was running out of gas, but I just had to continue for a couple more minutes.

The approach to the last turn was slightly uphill.  I did my best, but I could tell I was slowing down.  Finally, after making the turn, I could see the three mile sign.

The third mile took me 7:26, even though it was mostly downhill.  That was disappointing, but I just couldn’t go any faster.  The climbing in the first mile took too much out of me.

As I ran to the finish line, two other runners raced past me.  I had nothing left for a strong finish.  I was just trying to maintain my pace long enough to get to the finish line.

When I crossed the line and stopped my watch, it read 23:53.  That’s more than a minute slower than my last 5K race, but it’s like comparing apples and oranges.  This was a tougher course.

After finishing, I started to feel drops.  It was only then that I realized that it wasn’t raining for most of the race.  In retrospect, I only noticed rain in the first minute or two of the race.  After that, I was so focused on the hills and my effort that I didn’t notice that it was no longer raining.

The humidity must’ve been close to 100 percent.  Several minutes after finishing, I was still sweating heavily.  The sweat on my forehead was running into my eyes.  My shoes and socks were soaking wet, but it wasn’t from rain.  It was from sweat.  I’m sure the humidity also contributed to my relatively slow pace.

They had a tent next to the finish line with a display that scrolled through the times of everyone who had finished so far.  I waited for it to start over at the beginning, and I started counting the runners in my age group who finished ahead of me.  I stopped counting after 10.  Only the top eight in each age group get awards.

According to this display, my time was 24:00.18.  That was several seconds slower than the time on my watch, so I assumed this was a “gun” time.  After I got back to my car and turned on my phone, I saw an email with a link to the official results.  My “net” time was 23:53.23.  That agreed with my watch.  I was 66th overall, but 21st in my age group.

It’s hard to say whether this was a good effort.  If nothing else, it was good training.  Including my race-walking events, if was the third straight day that I went up against my aerobic limit.  I got some good speed work this week.

In April, I ran the B.A.A. 5K race in Boston.  My time there was 24:21.  I didn’t do any speed word before that race, so I referred to that result as the “before” picture.  I was expecting this race to be the “after” picture.  I did run faster here, but it’s not really a reflection of how much I improved.  My time two weeks ago in Missoula was 22:43.  For now, I’ll have to consider that to be the “after” picture, although it’s still a work in progress.  I’ve been lacking in speed work in recent years, and doing an occasional 5K race would probably help me get back some of the speed that I used to have in my late 40s and early 50s.

The National Senior Games are normally only held in odd-number years.  The only reason they were held last year is because they were postponed from 2021.  The next National Senior Games will be held in 2025 in Des Moines.  Maybe by then, I can get in shape to be more competitive in the running events.


Race statistics:
Distance:  5 kilometers
Time:  23:53.23
Average pace:  4:46 per kilometer (7:41 per mile)
Place in age group:  21st

No comments:

Post a Comment