Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Race Report: 2023 Summer Camp Series, Day 5

Today was the last day of the Summer Camp series.  Since I was already in St. Cloud for yesterday’s race, I thought I might as well do today’s race too.

Today’s race was in Quarry Park.  This is a park that contains several old granite quarries.  Over time, the quarries filled with rain water, and some of them have been converted to swimming holes.  There’s a network of trails in the park that can be combined in different ways.

Over the years, I’ve run about a dozen marathons in this park.  Mainly Marathons has experimented with different routes.  They’ve tried at least six different routes, but they eventually settled on the one that was most popular.

Our route started in the parking lot, where the aid station was set up.  From there, we ran though the main entrance to the trails, but instead of taking the trail that leads to the middle of the park, we took a trail that goes past this small picnic shelter.




From there, we ran downhill until we reached a clearing where there’s a wooden bridge that crosses a marshy area.


After the bridge, we ran uphill until we reached Quarry #11.  This is one of the old granite quarries that has been turned into a swimming area.  Next to the trail, there’s a pavilion and a dock.  On the opposite side, people sometimes dive into the water from the cliff.


After running past the quarry, we continued deeper into the park until we reached the turnaround.  This part of the park is densely forested.  The trail has several bends in it, so you can never see very far.  It also has several undulations.  This route is the least hilly of the various routes through the park, but that doesn’t mean it’s flat.


Coming back, we had to cross a berm that I call the “speed bump.”  Going out, it’s no big deal, because it’s in the middle of a downhill section.  Coming back, it’s in the middle of an uphill section, so the additional rise feels more tiring.


Our out-and-back route was almost a mile each way.  To complete a marathon, we had to do 14 laps.

It was a warmer day today.  The temperature at the start was 10 degrees warmer than yesterday.  Fortunately, this course has a lot of shade.  Yesterday’s route had very little shade, so the extra shade helped offset the warmer temperatures.

For the first lap, I was stopping occasionally to take pictures.  The frequent stops made that lap slow.  After that lap, I stopped at the aid station long enough to put my camera in my drop bag.  It doesn’t weigh much, but I didn’t like how it felt bouncing around in my fanny pack.

By the middle of my second lap, I caught up to Tim.  Tim is one of the faster runners, and he usually starts faster than I do.  Catching up to him so quickly made me wonder if I was running too fast.  I wasn’t.  Tim was going slower than usual, because he was running with Cheyenne, who was pushing a stroller.

After catching up to Tim and Cheyenne, I decided to slow down and run with them.  The three of us ran together until Tim made a bathroom stop.  Then I continued to run with Cheyenne for the next two laps.

Because of the stroller, Cheyenne’s pace was slower than I’m used to running, but it was a good way of making sure I kept the pace easy.  In the early laps, I also stopped briefly to eat a bratwurst, and I made a bathroom stop.  It was a pretty casual morning.

In the 5th lap, Tim caught up to us and ran past us.  By then, Cheyenne was needed to slow down more on the hills, so she told me to go ahead.  After that, I picked up my pace a little, so I could catch up to Tim.  I ran the rest of the lap with Tim.

When we got to the “speed bump,” Time told me he was going to walk it.  That sounded like a good idea to me.  I’ve often walking up that small hill in the past.  After that, I walked up the “speed bump” in about half of my laps.

At the end of that lap, Tim made another bathroom stop, and I went ahead on my own.  For the rest of the race, I ran by myself.

As I was crossing the bridge during my 7th lap, I noticed the wind was picking up.  Most of the time, we were sheltered by the trees, but this was an open area.  It was also getting cloudy, and it felt like it might rain soon.

When I finished that lap, I was half done, so I looked at my watch.  I was surprised to see how slow I was going.  If I kept running at the same pace, I would take more than five hours to finish.

That distressed me a little.  After the race, I still needed to go back to my hotel to check out.  I had arranged for a late check-out, but I wanted to have time to bathe, stretch, get dressed, and pack.  I had been assuming that I would finish the race in five hours at the most.  If I took longer than that, I would be pressed for time when I got back to the hotel.

After that, I made an effort to pick up my pace.  I wasn’t going all out.  I just wanted to pick up my pace enough to finish in five hours.

Earlier in the race, I was noticing some minor soreness in my quads when I was running uphill.  After picking up the pace, I never noticed that again.  That’s counter-intuitive.  If you’re sore in the first half of the race, you wouldn’t expect to feel better in the second half.  You also wouldn’t expect to feel better when you’re going faster.  Running can be funny that way.  When I focused more on picking up my pace, I probably tuned out the soreness that I felt earlier.

My 8th lap took about 21:30.  At first, I thought that was fast enough.  Then I did the math and realized I needed to average 21 minutes per lap for the last six laps if I was going to break five hours.  I needed to pick up my pace a little more.

By now, the sky was clearing up, and the sun started to feel intense when I crossed the bridge.  It no longer felt like it would rain.  Now it felt like it was going to get hot.

In my 9th lap, I picked up my effort a little more.  I didn’t want to run too hard, but I wanted to get back on pace to finish in five hours.  At the end of that lap, I needed to refill my bottle.  After refilling it, I looked at my watch.  Including the time it took to fill my bottle, that lap took 20:20.  That was fast enough.

I ran another lap with about the same effort.  That lap took about 20 minutes.  With four laps to go, I did the math and realized I could afford to slow down a little.  I only needed to average 21:30 per lap.

For the next two laps, I was telling myself to ease up a little, but I continued to run laps that were faster than they needed to be.  My lap times were between 20 and 21.

In the last few laps, I could tell it was getting hotter.  The heat was tiring, so I felt like I would need to pick up my effort a little to keep running at the same pace.  I felt particularly hot when I crossed the bridge.  Not only was that section exposed to the sun, but I’m sure the humidity was higher there.  There was a lot of vegetation.


As I was finishing my 12th lap, I saw runners leaving the aid station with watermelon.  I love eating watermelon when I’m thirsty.  When I was at the aid station, I saw a wedge of watermelon with the rind trimmed away.  That was perfect.  I was able to eat that as I resumed running, and I didn’t have to worry about disposing of the rind.

With two laps to go, I could afford to slow down to 22:30 per lap, but I kept going at the same pace.  As I started my last lap, I just needed to run it in 24 minutes.  My previous five laps had all been faster than 21, so I was pretty confident I would easily break five hours.

Since the 6th lap, I had been ahead of Tim.  There were a few runners who were going faster in the early laps, but they were doing the half marathon.  For the second half of the race, I knew I would finish in first place.  I was only racing the clock.

It’s slightly uphill going to the turnaround.  Then it’s downhill coming back.  As I made the turn, I looked at my watch.  The first half of that lap took just under 10 minutes.  That’s the tougher half, so I was pretty sure I would also run the second half in 10 minutes or less.

I finished the race in 4:55:36.  I was almost nine minutes faster in the second half.  I needed to make a bathroom stop, and I drank some chocolate milk, but I had to be careful not to linger too long in the finish area.

The medal for today’s race featured Babe the Blue Ox.  For people who ran the entire series, there was an additional medal, but I didn’t get one of those.  Maybe next year.


After I finished the race, other runners were congratulating me on running so fast.  That actually made me feel uncomfortable, because I didn’t consider my time to be fast.  I wanted to hold back in these races.  If I ran the same time in a race where I was trying to go fast, I would be disappointed.

What’s considered fast is relative.  I was the fastest runner in the marathon two days in a row, but average times in these races tend to be slow.  There are two reasons for that.

I only ran the last two races in this series, but most of the other runners ran marathons or half marathons on five consecutive days.  Some of them also did the 7-day Heartland Series, which took place immediately before this one.  Those runners were racing 12 days in a row.  When you’re running that far for that many days, you’re forced to slow down.

There’s another reason why average times tend to be slow at these races.  They don’t have time limits.  That makes them popular among runners who need more time to be able to finish a race.  I’m in my 60s, but I saw a lot of runners who are older than me.

I don’t feel like I’m fast by any objective standard.  At best, I’m fast for my age.  There was a time when I was faster than average, but that hasn’t been the case for the past few years.

Yesterday, I had some minor discomfort in the arch of my right foot toward the end of the race.  I was worried about that, but my foot felt fine today.  That was a relief.

I have another race on Saturday, but I have two days off before that.  I could do light training, but I might just rest.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:55:36
Average Pace:  11:16
First Half:  2:32:05
Second Half:  2:23:31
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  488
Minnesota Marathons:  92

No comments:

Post a Comment