Saturday, July 22, 2023

Race Report: 2023 Xenia Avenue Marathon

On July 22, I ran the Xenia Avenue Marathon in Brooklyn Park, MN.  I’ve done this race every year since it’s debut in 2020.  It’s about a 40-minute drive from where I live, so it’s too convenient to resist.

At first, I thought I would have to miss the race this year, since it fell on the same weekend as the Deseret News Marathon in Salt Lake City.  Then it occurred to me that I didn’t need to fly to Salt Lake City until Sunday, so there was no reason I couldn’t do a local race on Saturday.

We had our choice of picking up our race packets on the morning of the race or on Friday afternoon.  I opted to pick up my race packet on Friday.  I didn’t mind making an extra trip to Brooklyn Park, because it gave me a chance to stop at one of my favorite pizza restaurants for dinner.  It also made race morning less hectic.

I learned on Friday that my bib number was 2622.  I couldn’t resist adding a decimal point with a magic marker.


The race started at 6:30 AM on Saturday.  I left the house at 5:15 to give myself plenty of time to drive and park.  The race started and finished at Orchard Trail Park.  The park has a small parking lot, but there was more parking available across the street at Champlin Park High School.

It was a warm day.  You have to expect that in July.  The temperature at the start was in the low 60s, but I knew it would get into the mid-70s by the time I finished.  My plan to cope with the heat was to stay hydrated and run at an easy pace.  I would’ve gone at an easy pace anyway.  This was my third marathon in five days, and I have another one on Monday.  I might race hard on Monday, so I didn’t want today’s race to leave me feeling sore or tired.

The course was mostly on paved bike paths.  It consisted of one short loop, followed by five laps of a longer loop.  Both loops started in Orchard Trail Park.  After leaving the park, we followed a short trail that led us to the Rush Creek Regional Trail.



On our first loop, we only followed the Rush Creek Regional Trail for a short distance before leaving the trail to run into a residential neighborhood.  We did a loop on city streets for about a mile before returning the way we came.  It was during this loop that we ran along Xenia Avenue for about two blocks.




There were two aid stations on the course.  One was in the start/finish area.  The other was in Oak Grove Park.  We went by that aid station twice per lap, so in all, we had three opportunities to drink on each lap.

This race is a fundraiser for the Champlin Park High School and Champlin Park Middle School cross-country teams.  Several of the students were race volunteers, either as course marshals or staffing the aid stations.  The course had several turns, but it was extremely well-marked, and there were course marshals at every turn.

I knew several of the other runners.  Some were local runners who do most of the local races.  Others were friend who traveled here from other states.  In the first lap, I spotted three friends, Andy, Heather, and Angel, running together.  At first, I was a short distance behind them, but after about a mile, I caught up to them.  I ran with them for the rest of that lap.

The five remaining laps started the same way, but we continued along Rush Creek Regional Trail, through a tunnel under Douglas Drive, and through Oak Grove Park.


After running through the park, we did a short out-and-back and then turned around to re-enter the park.


Next, we turned to go past the aid station in Oak Grove Park.  Then, and we did a loop around a meadow on the south side of the park.  After that loop, we got back onto the Rush Creek Regional Trail and returned the way we came.


The first time I ran this race, it was during the pandemic, so they didn’t use cups at the aid stations.  Volunteers would set small bottles of water and Gatorade on the tables, and we could grab them as we went by.  Because of this, I’m in the habit of wearing a fuel belt for this race.  My usual routine was to grab an 8-ounce bottle of Gatorade and drink half of it.  Then I would put the half-empty bottle of Gatorade in my holster and finish drinking it just before the next aid station.

This year, they had small bottles of water, but the Gatorade was in cups.  When I finished the short lap, I drank a cup of Gatorade.  When I reached the aid station in Oak Grove Park, I saw Gatorade bottles on the table, so I grabbed one.

The water bottles were only 8 ounces, but the Gatorade bottles were 20 ounces.  I drank about five ounces and put the bottle in my holster.  The next three times I went through aid stations, I drank a little more from the same bottle.  After that, I just drank from the cups of Gatorade on the tables.  There just wasn’t any need to carry extra weight between the aid stations.

For the first four miles, our average pace was faster than 9:30 per mile.  We all thought that pace was too fast, but Andy kept pushing the pace.  Angel and Heather followed, a short distance behind Andy, and I followed a short distance behind them.  I found the pace to be a little bit tiring, but I stayed with them in the hopes that they would gradually slow down.

There was a building with bathrooms in Oak Grove Park.  The first time went by it, Heather, Angel, and Andy all made bathroom stops.  I continued on my own, but I slowed down to a pace that felt more comfortable.  My next mile was a full minute slower.

By the time we finished that lap, the others caught up to me again, and it was only a matter of time before we were running faster again.  Thankfully, it wasn’t quite as fast as before.  For the next several miles, we were averaging about 9:45 per mile.

The short lap was about 2.2 miles, and the five long laps were about 4.8 miles each.  By the time we finished our second big lap, Andy was starting to take walking breaks.  I continued to run.  Now I was following Heather and Angel.  Without Andy as a rabbit, we slowed down a little, but we were still averaging between 9:45 and 10:00 per mile.

At halfway, we were on pace to finish in about 4:20, but we needed to gradually slow down.  During out third long lap, Angel’s ankle started to bother her.  She had to walk briefly and then continue on her own at a slower pace.  For the rest of the race, I ran with Heather.

I let Heather set the pace, and we gradually slowed down.  For the next several miles, our pace ranged between 10:00 and 10:30.  For the first time, I found the pace to be comfortable.

For a while, it seemed like we might break 4:25.  By the time we started our last lap, it was apparent that we would be a little slower than that, but there was no doubt we would beat 4:30.

We slowed down a little in our last lap.  For the last five miles, our pace ranged from 10:30 to 11:00.  We took more time going through the aid stations.

The temperature had been gradually climbing, and we really felt it in the last lap.  We got some relief going around the meadow where we felt a nice breeze.

After our last trip around the meadow, we didn’t have any more loops or out-and-back segments.  For the last mile and a half, it was just a point-to-point race back to Orchard Trail Park.  That made it psychologically easier.

As we got back onto Rush Creek Regional Trail for the last time, we both noticed that it was getting cloudy.  That also helped.

I eventually finished in 4:26:35.  Heather finished a few seconds behind me.  Heather was happy to break 4:30 for her second straight race.  I was happy that we slowed down in the second half.


Heather and I waited in the finish area until Angel finished.  Then the three of us started watching for Andy.  We weren’t sure how far behind us he was, but we saw him finish before anyone needed to leave.

Only time will tell if I held back enough today, or if this race will take too much out of me.  The first half was faster than I planned, but we eased up quite a bit in the second half.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:26:35
Average Pace:  10:11 per mile
First Half:  2:10:03
Second Half:  2:16:32
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  489
Minnesota Marathons:  93

No comments:

Post a Comment