Saturday, October 21, 2023

Race Report: 2023 Mankato Marathon

On October 21, I ran the Mankato Marathon.  I’ve done this race before, but not since they redesigned the course.  The old course started near the university and finished downtown.  It was net downhill, but there were some tough hills in the first half of the race.

The new course is a loop that starts and finishes downtown.  There’s no longer any net elevation loss, but it’s also less hilly overall.  I was cautiously optimistic that I could run a fast time on this course.  After qualifying for Boston in my last four marathons, I wanted to see if I could keep that streak going.

Mankato is about 75 miles from where I live.  I was originally planning to get up early and drive to Mankato on the day of the race, but I was able to get a room at the last minute at a downtown hotel.

My friend Cade flew into town for the race, so I picked him up at the airport and we drove down together.

The expo was in the Mayo Clinic Health System Event Center, which was only one block away from my hotel.  Cade and I picked up our race packets, and we met Cade’s friend Todd, who gave Cade a ride to their hotel.

After unpacking and getting my clothes organized for the race, I went out to see the start of the 5K race.


Then I had dinner with Cade and Todd at one of the downtown restaurants.

I didn’t sleep great, but I didn’t have to get up early, so I rested in bed until it was time to get up.  I felt like I got enough sleep to get by.

The temperature at the start was about 50 degrees with a cold breeze in the river valley.  I expected it to warm into the mid-50s during the race, but no warmer.  I wore tights, because I would rather risk being too warm than too cold.

The start was less than half a mile from my hotel, so I didn’t leave until 20 minutes before the race.  They had a gear check, but I didn’t bother to check a bag.  Instead, I wore a Tyvek jacket to the start and tied it around my waist before I started running.

The race had pace groups, and one of the groups was pacing for a 3:50 finish.  That’s the pace I need for a Boston qualifier, so I started the race with the 3:50 pace group.  My last race gave me confidence that I could run that pace, but it wasn’t going to be easy.  Each of my recent races have been all-out efforts.  It’s tough to do that every weekend.

I was starting at the same pace as my last race, but this time it wasn’t as tiring.  Instead of starting with three uphill miles, we started with four mostly flat miles.

After leaving the downtown area, we ran a loop through the neighborhood immediately west of downtown.  The old course ran through this neighborhood at the end of the race, so I was familiar with the streets.  I wasn’t used to running through this neighborhood at the beginning of the race, and we were running some of these streets in the opposite direction.

The early miles were mostly flat, but not completely flat.  On the occasional small hill, I found I had to work much harder to keep up with the pace group.  Running downhill, I would get ahead of them.

In my last race, I could run in front of the pace group, but I would still hear them.  It was a large group with multiple pacers, and one of the pacers was always talking to the group.  In this race, it was a much smaller group, there was only one pacer, and he didn’t talk much.  Consequently, I couldn’t tell if they were right behind me or if I was pulling away.

In the fourth mile, I inadvertently started pulling away from the group.  I didn’t realize it until I saw my time for that mile.  I ran that mile about 10 seconds too fast.  I knew the next mile was uphill, so I wasn’t too concerned.  I tend to run faster than most people going downhill and slower than most people going uphill.  I knew the group would catch up to me on the big hill that was coming up.

Going through aid stations, I usually slowed down for a few seconds while taking a drink of Gatorade.  I started mile five with a small lead over the pace group, but my lead evaporated at an aid station.  By the time we reached the base of the hill, the group was right behind me.

This was by far the toughest hill in the race.  It was a rise of 224 feet.  I lifted my effort as much as I could, but I still couldn’t keep up with the group.  The best I could do was to keep from falling too far behind.

The five mile mark came just before the end of the hill.  I ran that mile in 9:22.  That was 36 seconds slower than the pace I needed to average to break 3:50.  Overall, I was off the pace by 20 seconds, but I knew the next several miles would be relatively flat.

As I crested the hill, I was about 50 feet behind the pace group.  Now that the course was leveling off, I was able to put in the additional effort to catch up to them.

Staying with the group was easier now, but not as easy as I expected.  The group sped up to 8:30 in the next mile.  That was 16 seconds faster than our target pace of 8:46.  By the end of the seventh mile, we had already made up the time we lost on the long hill.  It was nice to know we were back on pace, but the faster miles forced me to work harder.  I was able to keep up with the group, but I felt like I never got a chance to recover from the hill.

This section of the course had numerous turns, as we snaked through residential neighborhoods.  Our pacer reminded us to run the tangents.  I was already doing that.  Each time I came out of a turn, I looked ahead to the next one and took the most direct line to the next corner.

The next two miles weren’t as fast, but I still felt like I was running pretty close to my limit.  A week ago, I was 10 miles into the race when I started to question whether I could sustain my effort for the whole race.  This time, I was only nine miles into the race when I started to doubt whether my effort was sustainable.

After about 10 miles, we turned onto the sidewalk of a busy street that runs through the university campus.  Before, we were either on paved trails or residential streets that weren’t busy.  Here, there was enough traffic that we had to stay on the sidewalk.

We ran right past the parking lot where the race used to start.  We went a little farther east and then turned right to begin a long section running south.  This section was similar to the early miles of the old course.

I often found it easier to run in front of the group than to run behind them.  I had been running just in front of the group for at least a mile when I started to follow two runners who were running together in front of me.  They were going a little faster than the pace group.  I didn’t realize I was speeding up until I reached the 11 mile sign and saw that I ran that mile in 8:24.  That was 22 seconds too fast.

I eased up a little in the next mile, but it was also a little fast.  I didn’t know how far back the group was, but I assumed I was about 30 seconds ahead of them.

We were far enough south to be out of the city.  Now, we were surrounded by farmland.  I started to notice the wind pushing on my back.  The tailwind might have explained why I sped up so much in the previous two miles.

It was an unusually windy day.  I first noticed that when I was walking from my hotel to the start.  Early in the race, we never ran in the same direction for very long, so the wind wasn’t a big factor, other than feeling cold.  Now, we were surrounded by open fields, so we were more exposed to the wind.  We also weren’t turning as frequently.

Just before the 13 mile mark, we turned right.  Now I really felt the wind.  It was a cross wind, but it was so strong that it was still tiring.  It felt like a headwind.

I was disappointed to see that I slowed down to 8:57 in that mile.  I gave back some of the time I gained in my previous two miles.  I may have started getting lazy when I realized I had a tailwind.

At the halfway mark, I was almost a minute ahead of schedule.  That should’ve been encouraging, but I also noticed that the 3:50 group was right behind me.

This part of the course was familiar to me, because it was also part of the old course.  The wind was tiring, and it knew we would be completely exposed to it for the next mile or two.  In the distance, I could see some trees, but they were still far away.  I knew we would eventually begin descending and we would start to get cover from the trees.  I couldn’t wait to get there, but it would take a while.

In the meantime, I picked up my effort enough to get ahead of the pace group again.  Following them always seemed to take more effort than running in front of them.  I knew that was psychological, but that didn’t make it any less real.

I always run races much faster than I run my training runs.  I do that even though I’m running more than twice as far.  To do that, I have to coax myself to run at a pace that’s just barely sustainable.  Continuing to pour it on when you’re tired has a huge psychological component.  Realizing that I seemed to struggle any time the pacer got ahead of me, I worked hard to keep that from happening.

After about a mile, the road began bending slightly to the right.  We were on the right shoulder of a highway.  On the other side of the highway, there were trees.  On my right, it was open farmland.  The wind was coming from my right, so I was still completely exposed to it.  As we turned slightly to our right, the wind became more of a headwind.

About half a mile after the 14 sign, I saw another banner that looked like a mile marker.  It was much too soon to be the 15 sign.  It was a mile marker, but it wasn’t one of ours.  It was the 8 mile sign for the half marathon course, which had recently merged with the marathon route.

The road started to turn downhill.  That helped, but running downhill with such a strong wind was still tiring.  What I really needed was to get out of that wind.

Eventually, we left the highway to turn onto a paved trail that followed the road.  It was still downhill, but now we had trees on our right, which gave us some relief from the wind.

When I saw the 9 mile sign for the half marathon, I started to look for the 16 mile mark of the marathon.  Before I got there, we reached the point where the marathon and half marathon routes diverged again.  The half marathon route went straight, but we needed to turn left and go through a tunnel under the highway.  I was disappointed that we weren’t going straight.  I was familiar with that section of trail.  It was part of the old marathon route, so I knew it had a downhill trend.

Miles 15 and 16 were both a little fast, but only because they were downhill.  I sped up, but the 3:50 group also sped up.  They were right behind me as I reached the 16 mile mark.

I started hearing other runners talking about an uphill section coming up.  Starting at 17 miles, we would begin a long uphill stretch, but it would be gradual.  That was still a mile away.  In the meantime, it was flat.

We were running on a trail though the forest.  This was among the most scenic parts of the course, but I was struggling to keep up with the 3:50 group.

We crossed a long wooden bridge over the Blue Earth River, which meets the Minnesota River on the west side of Mankato.  Crossing the bridge, I watched my footing carefully.  In the past, I’ve been known to catch my shoe on a gap between the boards.  I breathed a sigh of relief after getting across the bridge safely.

At 17 miles, we began running uphill.  It was so gradual that you could barely see that it was uphill.  I knew it was uphill only because I could feel the difference in my effort.  We were going the same pace, but it was even more difficult to keep up with the group.

In the 19th mile, I finally put in the extra effort to get out in front of the group again.  About halfway through that mile, we finally reached the top of the gradual uphill section, and we turned onto a road.  I slowed down to drink at an aid station, and just like that the group caught up to me again.

Our next turn brought us onto a road that had traffic.  There were traffic cones between the driving lane and the shoulder, and we needed to stay on the shoulder.  It was a narrow shoulder, so it was tough to get around slower runners.

I put in some extra effort to get around a few runners, so I had daylight in front of me.  As result, I also got out in front of the pace group again.  I managed to stay ahead of them for the next mile, but I never knew if they were right behind me.  At 19 miles, I knew I only had seven miles to go, but I questioned whether I could keep up my effort for that many miles without running out of gas.

I turned a corner just before the 20 mile mark, and a volunteer said it was all downhill from here.  Then a runner behind me said, “except for the hill at Mount Kato.”  Having looked at the elevation profile, I already knew there was at least one more hill, but from what I knew of the area, it seemed likely that it was mostly downhill.  Already, I could see the beginning of a downhill section that started a short distance after the mile marker.

In contrast to the long gradual uphill section we ran earlier, this section had a noticeable grade.  Here, I was able to speed up, and it was downhill all the way to the 21 mile sign.  I ran that mile in 8:16, which was 30 seconds faster than my target pace.  It’s possible the 3:50 group also sped up here, but I suspected I had put some distance between us.

The next mile wasn’t as sharply downhill.  The road briefly turned uphill in one spot, and other sections were level, but into the wind.  I felt myself slowing down at times.

After crossing another bridge over the river, we came back onto a section of trail we were running earlier, but now we were going in the opposite direction.  We were almost to the end of a six mile loop.  Volunteers at an aid station said we were almost to 22.  I saw a banner, but it wasn’t 22.  It was 16.  We had seen this mile marker right after going through the tunnel.  Now, we were about to go back through the same tunnel.

After the tunnel, we turned left.  Earlier, I was disappointed that we weren’t going to run the same section of trail as the half marathon.  Now, six miles later, we were.

This trail has a downhill trend, but it’s not all downhill.  Just before the 22 mile sign, I had to go up a short but tiring hill.  I remembered seeing a 50 foot hill on the elevation profile.  Was this it?  If so, was this the last hill?

I took the hill at the best pace I could and then endeavored to pick up the pace again when the trail turned downhill again.  I once again questioned how much longer I could keep up this effort.  It helped to know that I was still in front of the 3:50 group.

We eventually came alongside the highway, and I saw a billboard for Mount Kato, which is a ski area.  We began climbing another short hill.  As I reached the top of this hill, I crossed a driveway and looked to my right.  I saw ski lifts and a hill that was definitely steep enough for ski runs.  It just needed snow.

I had just over three miles to go, but I was fading.  After running mile 22 in 8:54, I ran mile 23 in 8:51.  I was no longer keeping up the same pace.  I built a nice cushion in mile 21, but I was slowly giving it back.  I wondered if I was subconsciously giving myself permission to slow down, knowing I was still ahead of the 3:50 group.

Mile 24 was also a bit slow.  I ran that one in 8:57.  The next mile was mostly downhill, and I picked up my effort to make sure I would stay ahead of the group.  If they caught me in the last mile, I would have enough fight in me to stay with them to the finish.  If they caught me now, I might not.  Staying in front of them seemed easier than staying with them.

I ran mile 25 in 8:44.  I had mixed feelings about that.  On one hand, it was reassuring to know that I had brought my pace back down to my target pace.  On the other hand, I only beat that pace by two seconds in a mile that was mostly downhill.   I should’ve been able to run faster in a downhill mile.

It was during that mile that I recognized a stadium with a track on my right.  I didn’t know what school this was, but we had run past the same track early in the race.  Now I had a good feel for where I was in relationship to where we would finish.

When I reached the 12 mile sign for the half marathon, I looked at my watch.  If I could run the last 1.1 miles in 11:06, I would break 3:50.  That’s more time than I had at the same point in the Baltimore Marathon.  It’s worth noting, however, that the last mile of that race was sharply downhill, and I expected the last mile of this race to be mostly flat.  Still, I only needed to average 10 minutes per mile.  I had yet to run a mile slower than 9:22.

I crossed a street and turned left.  Immediately, I felt a strong headwind.  It was slowing me down, but I only needed to run into that wind for one block.  Then I turned and ran up a short hill.

I turned again and ran downhill for one block.  Then I had another right turn and another left turn.  All of this was unfamiliar.  I knew I was close to the downtown streets, but I had never come from this direction before.

Ahead of me, I saw a right turn onto Front Street.  I knew we finished on Front Street, so this was the last turn.  After the turn, I could see the 26 sign.  The street bent slightly to the left before the finish, so I couldn’t see the finish line yet.

When the finish line was finally in sight, I did my best to keep up my effort all the way to the line.  I had been running on empty for a long time, but I finished the race in 3:48:28.  The second half of the race was difficult, but I came close to running even splits.  I only slowed down by 16 seconds.

I felt completely spent, but I needed to keep moving.  I stopped just long enough to get my finisher medal and pick up a few post-race snacks.  Then I kept walking until I reached my hotel.


The hotel had given me a 12:30 checkout, but I knew every room was booked for Saturday night, so I did my best to be out by noon if I could.  That would make it easier for housekeeping to have the room ready for the next guest.

After a quick shower, I got dressed and finished packing.  I was out of the room and down to the lobby by noon.

After checking out, I drove to Cade’s hotel.  He was ready by the time I got there, and we left for the airport.

After dropping off Cade, I was tempted to go somewhere for pizza.  I decided to get home quickly instead.

I’ve qualified for Boston in my last five marathons, including three straight weekends.  Each one has been more difficult than the previous one.  I have another race next weekend, but I don’t think I have another BQ in me right now.  I’ll probably stay in my comfort zone next week and save my energy for the next one.  Still, it’s been four years since I last qualified on back-to-back-to-back weekends, and I’m pretty happy about that.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  3:48:28
Average Pace:  8:43
First Half:  1:54:06
Second Half:  1:54:22
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  497
Minnesota Marathons/Ultras:  94
Boston Qualifiers:  157

No comments:

Post a Comment