Sunday, October 29, 2023

Race Report: 2023 Mill Town Marathon

On October 29, I ran the Mill Town Marathon in Dundas, MN.  This is a small marathon that’s only been held once before.  The race was first held in 2020, during the COVID-19 pandemic.  At the time, larger races were all being cancelled, so a group of runners created their own route, got the course certified, and organized their own race.  They had to keep it small, so it was limited to 25 runners in the marathon and 25 runners in the half marathon.

I first heard about the race while I was doing the Running Ragged 20 in 20 Series.  On one of the last days of the series, another runner form Minnesota asked me if I was doing Dundas.  I didn’t know at first what he was talking about.  I try to do every Minnesota marathon at least once, so I normally would’ve been interested.  Unfortunately, I had accumulated enough aches and pain while running 20 marathons in 20 days, that I needed to take a break.

I couldn’t remember the name of the race, and I never heard of it again until this year.  After the Twin Cities Marathon was cancelled, the same runners who organized this race in 2020 decided to hold it again.  It’s still a relatively small race, but this year they were able to accommodate 100 total runners between the marathon and the half marathon.

As luck would have it, the race fell on one of the few weekends that I didn’t already have a race scheduled.  I had three reasons for wanting to do this race.  First, I do every Minnesota marathon, and this was one I had never done.  Second, I was hoping to run my 500th marathon or ultra at the Route 66 Marathon in November.  To make that possible, I squeezed three additional races into a schedule that was already busy.  When the Twin Cities Marathon was cancelled, I was no longer on schedule to reach that milestone in November.  This race allowed me to get back on schedule.  Finally, I’m hoping to do my 100th Minnesota marathon or ultra sometime next year.  When the Twin Cities Marathon was cancelled, I lost a Minnesota race.  This race made up for it.

Lately, I’ve been pushing myself pretty hard in my races.  To recover from races quickly enough to race on consecutive weekends, I typically have to hold back a little.  In all of my recent races, I’ve pushed right to my limit.  For this race, I decided to stay closer to my comfort zone.

When I signed up for this race, I had no idea how cold it would be.  Overnight, the temperature dropped into the mid-20s.  We were expecting a small amount of snow overnight, but thankfully the snow stayed farther south.  We had dry roads for the drive to Dundas and a dry course for the race.

I’ve done training runs in colder conditions, but this was one of the coldest marathons I’ve done.  Figuring out what to wear is tricky when you’re going to be running in cold temperatures for four hours.  If you’re even slightly underdressed, you’ll get progressively colder during the race.  If you’re even slightly overdressed, you’ll start to get hot and sweaty.

I typically wear tights in cold conditions, but today I wore a pair of tight-fitting sweatpants that are easily twice as warm.  On top, I wore three layers.  My outer layer was a Tyvek jacket that I kept unzipped, so it wouldn’t cover the race bib pinned to the shirt underneath.  I also wore two layers on my hands, a winter hat, and ski goggles.

Deb and I drove to Dundas together, arriving about an hour before the race started.  Deb volunteered to fill in wherever they needed help.  She started out by helping with runner check-in.  Later, she helped with post-race food and door prizes.  In between, she tended the bonfire in the start/finish area.

After picking up my race bib, I waited in the car until it was time to make a port-o-potty stop.  I got there just before it got busy.  Then I did my best to keep warm near the bonfire during pre-race announcements.

The course was a 6.55 mile loop that we ran four times.  We started at Memorial Park in Dundas, ran along the east bank of the Cannon River, crossed the river in Northfield, and then come back on the west side of the river before crossing the river again in Dundas.

When the race started, I was surprised how cold my legs were.  I had to go slow at first, because my legs just wouldn’t respond.  After the first turn, I forced myself into a rapid stride to try to warm up my legs.

We were on city streets for about four blocks.  Then we turned onto a paved trail for the next three miles.

My goggles kept the top half of my face warm, but they limited my peripheral vision.  I was running alongside the river for almost a mile before I noticed how close it was.

We didn’t have any snow, but there were lots of fallen leaves.  Most of the trail was visible, but there were a few spots where the leaves had settled, and we had to crunch through about two inches of dry leaves.

For the first two miles, I was averaging about 8:50 per mile.  That’s faster than I intended to start, but that was just to get my legs warmed up.  Starting with the third mile, I was warming up enough that I could ease up a bit.  I was still running faster than I do in most of my training runs, but it was significantly slower than the pace of my last few marathons.  I wanted to run fast enough to stay warm, but not so fast that the effort would leave me drained.

I started to drift back from the pack of runners I had been following earlier.  Now, other runners were gradually passing me.

There were four aid stations per lap, including the one in the start/finish area.  The first time I reached an aid station, I decided to skip it.  My goggles covered the top of my face, but my mouth and cheeks were cold.  I couldn’t imagine trying to drink.  I wasn’t sweating yet, so I could afford to wait.

As we reached the northern end of the loop, we crossed the river on a pedestrian bridge that had a smooth concrete surface.  Then we got back onto city streets and ran past a Kwik Trip convenience store.  Outside the store, there was another aid station.

I knew I had to drink at some of the aid stations, so this time I stopped to grab a cup of Gatorade.  I was expecting it to be ice cold, but it was room temperature.  That was a pleasant surprise.  Other runners enjoyed that too.  Nobody wanted to drink anything too cold at this point in the race.

I settled into a pattern of drinking at every other aid station.  I needed to take in some fluids, but I didn’t need as much as I would in warmer conditions.  Drinking twice per lap seemed about right.

Coming back on the west side of the river, we were initially on a sidewalk, as we ran through the southern edge of Northfield.  Ahead of me, I could see a factory for Post cereal.  I look at the smokestacks at the top of the building to see which way the wind was blowing.  It was blowing toward me.  It wasn’t a strong wind, but I knew I wasn’t likely to warm up on this side of the river.

When the sidewalk ended, we moved to the shoulder of a highway.  This highway was busy, but we had a nice wide shoulder.

Next, we turned onto a road that wasn’t as busy, but it also didn’t have much of a shoulder.  Here, there were traffic cones near the edge of the road.  Some of the cones were only a foot from the edge of the pavement, so we had to run right on the white line.  It was awkward at times.

We eventually turned off the road and onto a paved trail that ran parallel to the road.  We were still going into the wind, but we had more room to run without having to worry about traffic.

I didn’t notice what my pace was in miles four and five, but by the fifth mile I had settled into a pace between 9:30 and 9:45.  I would stay in that range for most of the race.

My favorite part of the course was where we turned to cross some railroad tracks and then ran through some woods.  On this section, we were sheltered from the wind.

Before getting back to Memorial Park, we had to run a few blocks on city streets in Dundas.  We had to cross one somewhat busy street, but there were course marshals to help us get across safely.

Across the river from Memorial Park, there’s another small park called Mill Park.  We ran through Mill Park and then crossed another pedestrian bridge over the Cannon River to get back into Memorial Park.

The surface of this bridge was wood, but some of the wood planks had a glittery appearance.  There was frost on the bridge, and the morning sun was at a low enough angle that it reflected off the ice crystals.

As I finished my first lap, Deb was right there.  I drank a cup of Gatorade, told Deb I was doing OK, and started my second lap.

I knew by now that I would have the wind at my back in the first half of each lap, but I would have to run into it in the second half.  For the next three miles, I felt fairly comfortable, with one exception.  I felt like I was going to need a bathroom stop.

There’s a building with bathrooms in Memorial Park, but the water was shut off for the season, so pipes wouldn’t freeze.  There were port-o-potties in the park, but they were a distance away from the course.  The Kwik Trip next to the second aid station has bathrooms, but going into the building would also be out of the way.

I was almost to the north end of the loop when I noticed a port-o-potty in a small park next to the course.  I was considering stopping there when the runner in front of me left the trail to head to the port-o-potty.  There was only one, and I wasn’t inclined to wait, so I held on for another lap.

After passing the aid station by Kwik Trip, I started to notice an aroma like someone was baking cookies.  I didn’t think much of it at the time.  I just kept running.

By now, we were getting spread out enough on the course that I couldn’t always see the next runner in front of me.  Instead of just following the crowd, I had to pay attention to where the turns were.  That turned out to be pretty easy.  There weren’t many turns, and they were well-marked with red chalk arrows.  I was looking for the arrows during my first lap, even though I didn’t need to.  This time around, I already knew the turns, but I still looked for the arrows.

At halfway, I was on pace to finish in 4:10.  I didn’t have a time goal in mind, but that seemed reasonable.

Some of the runners were doing a half marathon, so they were done after the second lap.  I wondered if the field would thin out as I started my third lap.  It thinned out a little, but not that much.  More often than not, I could still see at least one runner ahead of me.

I was planning to stop when I got back to the port-o-potty that was right next to the course.  In anticipation, I started to speed up when I was still almost two miles away.  During those two miles, I passed two runners.

When I emerged from the port-o-potty, I saw a runner coming.  I initially assumed this was simply one of the runners behind me, and he caught up while I was in the port-o-potty.  Then I saw there was a volunteer leading him on a bicycle.  This was the lead runner.  I was still in my third lap, but he was in his final lap.

I had expected to slow down after my bathroom stop, because it took me out of my rhythm.  Ordinarily, after stopping for a minute or two, I settle into a slower pace.  Instead, following a faster runner caused to me go a little faster than before.

After crossing the pedestrian bridge in Northfield, I gradually settled back into my previous pace.  I stopped to drink at the aid station near the Kwik Trip.  Then I noticed the cookie aroma again.  It was stronger now, and it seemed more like brownies.

I always noticed this aroma when I was downwind from the Post cereal factory.  They must have been making a chocolate flavored cereal.  I made a mental note that I would need to have a brownie after the race.  In the meantime, I still had to run about 10 miles.

The two runners I passed earlier in this lap were now ahead of me again.  They passed me while I was in the port-o-potty.  By the end of this lap, I passed them both again.  Then, as I was running through Mill Park, a runner passed me.

As she went by, she said something to encourage me.  She was going fast, and I wondered if she was finishing the half marathon.  Then I realized that anyone doing the half marathon would’ve been done by now.  By the time I got to the bridge, I heard them announcing her finish.  It was the lead woman in the marathon, and she was already finishing her last lap.  She set a new course record.

When I crossed the bridge, I could still see frost, but it no longer had a glittery appearance.  The sun was higher in the sky now.

As I finished my third lap, I noticed my time.  My time for the third lap was about the same as my time for the second lap, even though I had a bathroom stop.

Deb saw me finish that lap and asked me if I was OK.  I told her I was, but I realized I was starting to get warm.  I knew I would feel much warmer in the first half of my last lap.  Instead of having a headwind, I would have a tailwind.  If I kept my jacket on, I would have to slow way down to keep from getting too hot.

I decided to take off my jacket and tie it around my wait as I started my last lap.  Normally, I can do that without slowing down.  With gloves and shell mittens on my hands, it wasn’t as easy.  It was tough to get one sleeve off.  The other sleeve came off easier, but I accidentally turned it inside out.  To fix my sleeve and tie my jacket around my waist, I had to briefly slow to a walk.  Then I noticed that my watch band was coming loose.  That was also tough to fix with mittens.  I had to slow down again to fix my watch.

There was one intersection on this side of the river where they had course marshals.  When I got there, I already had my jacket tied around my waist, but I was still trying to tuck one of the sleeves to make sure it wouldn’t be flopping around loose.

One of the volunteers asked me if I wanted to drop my jacket there.  Before the race, we were told we could drop off clothes after any lap, and they would keep them at the finish line for us.  I have no doubt this volunteer would’ve brought my jacket back to the finish line, but I opted to keep it with me.

Once I had my jacket squared away, I picked up my pace.  For now, I was warm enough, but I had the wind at my back.  Later, I would have a headwind again.  I had to commit to running a fast enough pace to stay warm without the jacket.

I started to see more runners ahead of me.  I was catching up to people.  The first person I passed in that lap wasn’t going very fast.  Then it occurred to me that this was still her third lap.  I was starting to catch up to people who were at the back of the race.

I passed several people on that lap, including a couple of local runners I know.  Some were still on their third lap, but others were harder to catch, so I knew they were runners who were on the same lap as me.

A couple miles into the lap, I reached an aid station that I had previously gone by without stopping.  On this lap, I slowed down long enough to take a drink.  It was several degrees warmer than it was at the start of the race, so I started drinking at all the aid stations.

When I reached the second half of the loop, I noticed the brownie smell again.  I also noticed the wind.  I wondered if I could run negative splits if I pushed hard for the last few miles.  My second and third laps were each a few minutes slower than my first lap.  To run negative splits, this lap would have to be faster than my first lap.

I wasn’t paying attention to my recent mile times, so I didn’t know how fast I started this lap.  I only knew that the first mile was slow because I was struggling to get my jacket and watch squared away.

I picked up my effort as much as I could, but the wind was stronger now.  For the next two miles, I was looking forward to the place where I would enter the woods and get out of the wind.

The last time I looked at my watch, I was already past 23 miles.  I thought I must be getting close to 24, so I looked at my watch again.  It was already reading 24.11.  Somehow, I never noticed when my watch recorded a split for 24.

I kept running.  When I thought I was getting close to 25 miles, I looked at my watch again.  I was already at 25.07.  I missed another split.  Grr.

I had no idea if I was on pace for negative splits, but I committed to that as a goal.  I was trying to take the rest of this lap as fast as I could.

I finally reached the section of trail that was sheltered from the wind.  My recollection was that it was about a mile long, but I realized now that it couldn’t be more than a half mile.  I enjoyed it while I could.

After that, I just had a few blocks on city streets, then through Mill Park and across the bridge for the last time.

I crossed the bridge and ran to the balloons surrounding the finish line.  I got there in 4:08:39.  I ran negative splits by roughly a minute.

This was a small race that was organized quickly, so I expected it to be low frills.  I wasn’t expecting a finisher medal, but they had them.


They also had many of the other things you would expect from a larger race, including chip timing, and post-race snacks.  The results were available online before we drove home.  They had enough volunteers for aid stations and traffic control.  Also, the bonfire in the start/finish area was nice.

I hope this race becomes an annual event.  It’s a nice little race.  Talking to Deb after the race, I learned that many of the other runners felt the same way.


Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  4:08:39
Average Pace:  9:29 per mile
First Half:  2:04:49
Second Half:  2:03:50
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  498
Minnesota Marathons/Ultras:  95

1 comment:

  1. I was almost going to come and do the half today, after reading your review of the race I wish I had. Congrats on the negative splits.

    ReplyDelete