Sunday, October 15, 2023

Race Report: Baltimore Marathon

After our trip to Cape Cod, Deb and I flew directly from Boston to Baltimore, where I ran the Baltimore Marathon on October 14.


We were originally scheduled to arrive in Baltimore at 2:15 on Friday, but Delta changed their flight schedule.  Our revised arrival time was 3:07, which didn’t give us as much time as we were originally expecting to have.  I would’ve been nervous about that, but the expo went until 8:00 PM.

We stayed in a downtown hotel that was right next to Camden Yards, where the race started.  It’s a shame the Baltimore Orioles lost in the American League Divisional Series.  Had they advanced to the championship series, they would’ve had a home game on Saturday.  Our hotel was so close to the stadium that we had this view from our hotel room.


We were also just a couple of blocks from the convention center, where the expo was held.  We didn’t get to our hotel until 4:15, but I was back from the expo by 5:00.

After organizing my clothes for the race, I had dinner with my friend Aaron at a Detroit-style pizza place near the waterfront.  On my way to dinner, I walked right past the finish area for the marathon.  Most of the barriers were already in place.

I got to bed early, slept well all night, and woke up about 30 minutes before my alarm would’ve gone off.  The race didn’t start until 8:00 AM, so I didn’t need to be up too early.

The temperature was in the 50s, but I didn’t know when the rain would start.  For most of the morning, there was about a 50% chance of rain.  There was no question it would rain in the afternoon, but I didn’t know how much of the race would be in the rain.  I was only expecting intermittent showers, but to hedge my bets I wore tights.  I had a Tyvek jacket that I wore to the start.  In case of heavy rain, I kept a plastic rain poncho folded up in my fanny pack.

The starting line was close enough to my hotel that I could wait until 20 minutes before the race before going outside.  I was able to use the bathroom in my hotel room, so I didn’t need to allow time to wait in port-o-potty lines in the start area.

I neglected to pack the charger cable for my GPS watch.  After using it for the Cape Cod Marathon and two shorter runs, I didn’t know for sure if I had enough battery life for another marathon.  I left that watch at the hotel and used my older Timex, which is just a plain stopwatch.  I’ve grown accustomed to my watch giving me splits, but I had to go back to my old practice of just reading my watch at each mile marker and doing the arithmetic in my head.

I ran Boston qualifying times in my last three marathons, but those were all on fast courses.  One was sharply downhill, one was slightly downhill, and the other was mostly flat.  This race was hilly, so I went in with lower expectations.  I needed to wait and see how I felt after the first few miles.

When I got to the start area, I saw there was a 3:50 pace group.  I lined up with them and decided to run at that pace long enough to evaluate whether the pace would be sustainable on this course.

Besides having a view into the stadium, our hotel room also had a view of the starting line.  Deb was taking pictures before the race started.


About 10 minutes before the race started, it started to rain.  It was only sprinkling, but I decided to keep my jacket on, instead of tying it around my waist.

Starting with the 3:50 pace group took all the guesswork about how fast to start.  I followed the pacers, and I didn’t look at my watch for the first half of the race.  The first few miles had a gradual uphill trend.  Running uphill, I found the pace to be tiring, but I knew it would eventually get easier.  I forced myself to keep up with the group, even though it seemed like I was working way too hard.

The first song I heard during the race was Fallin’ by Alicia Keys.  That was a reminder that I fell during my last race, and I should pay attention to my footing.  In the downtown area, the pavement had cracks in a few places.  Also, the pavement was slippery from the rain.

About halfway through the second mile, I started to feel hot.  I took off my jacket and tied it around my waist.  After taking off my jacket, I realized there weren’t any drops hitting my arms.  Because the pavement was wet, I didn’t notice that the rain had stopped.

Shortly before the three mile mark, we entered Druid Hill Park.  As we crested a hill, one of the pacers told us this was the highest point on the course.  There would be other hills, but from here, it was more downhill than uphill.

As we continued through the park, we entered the Maryland Zoo.  The zoo has African penguins, and two of the zookeepers brought one of the penguins outside to watch the race.  We all got to see the penguin as we ran by.

Where we entered the zoo, it was the beginning of a downhill section.  The leaders of our pace group were running the whole race at a consistent pace.  They ran uphill at the same pace that they ran downhill.  For most of the runners in the group, the downhill sections were a chance to rest and recover from the uphill sections.  I’m used to speeding up going downhill, so I took the downhill sections at my own pace.  I often got ahead of the pace group, but they would catch up to me again on the next uphill section.

Shortly after leaving the zoo, we reached a spot where we had a good view of the downtown area to our right.  One of the pacers told us when this view was coming up.  In general, they gave us lots of useful information throughout the race.

Between six and seven miles, we turned and started running back toward the downtown area.  The next two and a half miles had a gradual downhill trend.  One of the pacers told us to pay attention to how this section of the course felt, because the section from 24 to 26 would be similar.

I continued to speed ahead on the downhill sections, but I was never too far ahead of the group.  They were always talking, and I could hear them right behind me.

At nine miles, we passed close to where we would eventually finish.  Then we started an out-and-back section along the west side of the inner harbor.  When I got to the 10 mile mark, I asked myself how I felt.  I was getting tired.  It didn’t seem like my effort would be sustainable for 16 more miles, but I decided to stay with the pace group until the halfway mark and then re-evaluate.

By now, it was raining again, and I also felt more wind near the inner harbor.  Earlier, I had been hot going up hills, so the colder conditions initially felt good.  I knew I’d get cold if it rained for the rest of the race, but my more immediate concern was the condition of the streets.  They were getting slick again.

I could see faster runners coming back on the other side of the street.  When I saw the 3:40 group coming back, I knew we were only a couple minutes away from the turnaround.

Somewhere between 12 and 13 miles, we reached the end of the out-and-back section, and we started heading east.  The next few miles were along the other side of the inner harbor.

By now, the rain had stopped again.  I questioned whether I could keep up with the group, but I was afraid to drop back.  I was afraid that if I unhitched myself from the group, I would keep slowing down until my pace felt comfortable.  There’s a big disparity between my all-out race pace and the pace I find comfortable.  If I started running by myself, I could easily slow down by a minute per mile.  If I did that now, I could easily give up so much time that I wouldn’t even break four hours.  For that reason, I wanted to keep up with the group until I had no more than 10 miles to go.

I was so determined to keep up with the group for a while longer, that I sped up and ran in front of them.  I could still hear them, so I knew I was never too far ahead of them.  Somehow, it felt easier to stay ahead of them than to follow them.

When I reached the halfway mark, I looked at my watch.  I was more than a minute ahead of schedule foe a 3:50 finish.  Then meant I had a little bit of room to slow down later in the race.

Suddenly, the pace no longer felt difficult.  Maybe it was just psychological, but I easily stayed ahead of the group for the next few miles.

By the beginning of the 15th mile, it was starting to rain again.  Now I had an extra incentive to keep up my current pace.  If I slowed down, I was more apt to get cold.  I would also be out in the wet conditions for that much longer.

While each additional mile I finished, staying on my current pace for the rest of the race seemed more feasible.  In my previous two races, I managed to dig deep and pick up my effort in the late miles.  I was feeling tired earlier in this race, but I wasn’t trying for as fast of a time.

As I got close to 16 miles, I could hear one of the pacers talking to the group, but I couldn’t hear everything she said.  I heard “Don’t panic” and “you can see the merge.”  I looked ahead and saw a huge pack of runners coming from the left and turning onto the same street we were on.  It was about a block and a half ahead of me.  This was the point where the half marathon merged with the marathon.  For the next 10 miles, we would all be running together.

I didn’t know if these runners would be going at a faster or slower pace.  They outnumbered us by about 20 to 1, so if they were slower, it would be difficult to keep up a consistent pace.

As I reached the merge point, it quickly became apparent that the runners merging in with us weren’t going as fast.  I look around to see which runners I recognized as marathon runners.  There were two runners in front of me who I had consistently seen in front of me for the last mile or two.  One was a guy in a red T-shirt.  The other was a woman wearing a clear plastic rain poncho.  I followed them through the crowd of slower runners.

It wasn’t long before I passed the guy in the red shirt.  Then I could only follow the woman in the rain poncho.  She was weaving through the crowd aggressively.  It took a lot of effort to keep up with her, but I was afraid that if I didn’t I would start running at the pace of the runners around me.

I suspected I had sped up since the merge.  I wasn’t looking at my watch, so I didn’t actually know how fast I was going.  It just felt faster.  I could no longer hear the pace group behind me.  I didn’t know if I was getting way ahead of them or if they were no longer audible over all the other runners.  The street was incredibly crowded now.

We turned a corner and started up a hill.  Going up the hill, I couldn’t keep up with the woman in the rain poncho, but I tried to stay close enough that I could still see her.  I got hot running up this hill.  That’s when I realized the rain had stopped again.

This hill was long and tiring.  I realized here that the “don’t panic” comment wasn’t in reference to the merge.  The pacer who said that probably told the group about this hill and told them not to panic, because there would be downhill sections later.

I never saw the 16 mile mark.  When I saw the 4 mile sign for the half marathon, I realized I had also missed the 17 mile sign.

As I continued up a long hill, I started to lose contact with the runner I was trying to follow.  As I neared the top of the hill, I didn’t care as much if there were slower runners in my way.  I was slowing down anyway.

We turned another corner and started a long downhill section.  Now I cared.  I can speed up on the downhills, so I didn’t want to be bottled up behind a wall of slower runners.  I found a gap and raced down the hill.  By the time I reached the bottom, I caught up to the woman in the rain poncho.  Then we started up another hill, and I fell behind again.

By the time I reached the 19 mile mark, I was getting really tired, but I didn’t have much more than seven miles to go.  I was sure I could hang in there for seven miles.

Next, we began another out-and-back section along one side of a lake.  I didn’t know how long it would be, so I started looking for pace groups coming back.  I saw a pace group, but I couldn’t see their sign, so I didn’t know which group it was.  Then I recognized Aaron.  I knew he started with the 3:40 group, so I assumed he was seven or eight minutes ahead of me by now.  That meant I was within four minutes of reaching the turnaround.

By now, I had lost sight of the woman in the rain poncho.  I had been moving through the crowd of half marathoners for the last four miles, so the people around me weren’t that much slower than my own pace.  It would have been easy to just run with the crowd.  At times I did, but then I’d remind myself to keep passing people.  It wasn’t as easy when I didn’t have someone else setting the pace for me.

If I was alert, I would’ve started looking for the 3:50 group as soon as I made the turn.  By the time I thought of it, I had already missed them.  For the past few miles, I thought I was way ahead of them.  Now I realized they must be pretty close to me.

There was one more out-and-back section.  This one was much shorter.  Going out, it started out downhill, but the last part before the hill was uphill.  Going downhill, I spotted the woman in the rain poncho.  She was only half a block ahead of me now.  I was gaining ground, but only until I started uphill.  Then I lost ground again.

This time, I looked for the 3:50 group as soon as I made the turn.  They were right behind me.  After the turn, we briefly rain downhill, but then turn uphill again.  By the time I reached the next turn, they had caught up to me.

After the group caught me, I really struggled to keep up with them.  I thought they would drop me.  Then we hit another uphill section, and it got even harder.  After falling behind, I dug deep and summoned up the effort to catch up to them again.  It was raining again, and trying to accelerate on slick pavement made it even harder.

I got alongside of one of the pacers and asked her when we would crest the hill.  She said it would be like this for another mile.  She asked me if I remembered what she said earlier as we started the stretch from seven to nine, which was mostly downhill.  I did.  Then she said after this uphill section, we would get to that same downhill section.

She yelled to the entire group that she needed everyone to put on their big boy or big girl pants.  This was the last really tough section of the course.  It wasn’t easy, but I gave it everything I had for the next mile.

The spectators in the late miles were great.  One of them told us we had two more minutes of climbing, and then it would be downhill.  That information really helped.

After cresting that hill, I saw the 23 sign.  It was still another mile before the section of the course I was anticipating.  Fortunately, this mile was also downhill.

At first, I needed to use the downhill to recover, while staying with the group.  After a few blocks of running downhill, I was able to speed up and get a little bit ahead of the group.

Between 23 and 24 miles, I turned a corner to start the last long section running back into the downtown area.  We weren’t on the same street as before, but this street ran parallel to that one, and it had the same gentle downhill trend.

The section from seven to nine had a short uphill section, so I assumed this street would too.  I could see it from a distance, but I felt it when I got there.  It was tough, but the spectators were encouraging.  When I got to the top, a woman said, “Just one more hill.”  I didn’t know there would be another hill, but I appreciated the advance warning.

When I reached the 25 mile sign, I didn’t think to look at my watch.  Instead, I looked when I saw the 12 mile sign for the half marathon.  It was the first time I looked at my watch since the halfway mark.  To break 3:50, I needed to run the last 1.1 miles in 9:40.  At my current pace, I would do it, but I was hoping for more of a cushion.

The last 1.1 miles were mostly downhill, and I really worked the hill.  As I moved through the crowd of runners, I caught sight of the woman in the rain poncho.  It had been three or four miles since I last saw her.  I worked hard to close the gap, but the closest I came was half a block.

The last hill was steep, but it was also short.  I shortened my stride and pushed hard to keep up my pace.  After cresting the hill, I worked the last downhill as much as I could.

When I made the final turn onto Pratt Street, I knew I was only a few blocks from the finish.  Looking ahead, I could see the finish.  It was comparable to making the turn onto Boylston Street at the end of the Boston Marathon.

I finished the race in 3:47:58.  It was the third time in 21 days that I qualified for Boston.  The last time I did that was four years ago.  This one wasn’t as fast as the last two, but it was a tougher course.  I no longer need a fast course to qualify.

The second half of the race wasn’t quite as fast as the first half, but it was close.  I slowed down by less than a minute.

The finisher medal is in the shape of a crab, and the shell opens to reveal the image of the Constellation, which is docked in the Baltimore harbor.




I had been drinking at every aid station, so I didn’t need to drink anything in the finish area.  My clothes were wet, and I was cold, so I didn’t hang around for long.  I picked up some post-race food and walked back to my hotel as quickly as I could.  I ate while I was walking.

One of my cousins lives in the Baltimore area.  Deb and I went to his house for dinner later in the day.

Saturday wasn’t a good day for sightseeing, because it rained all afternoon.  Sunday morning, Deb and I walked down to the harbor to see the Constellation.




Race statistics:
Distance:  26.2 miles
Time:  3:47:58
Average Pace:  8:42
First Half:  1:53:38
Second Half:  1:54:20
Lifetime Marathons/Ultras:  496
Maryland Marathons:  5
Boston Qualifiers:  156

No comments:

Post a Comment