Saturday, April 18, 2020

A Virtual Boston Happy Hour


On April 18, 1775, a regiment of British soldiers left Boston to seize stockpiles of weapons being stored in nearby villages by local militia groups.  A few messengers left on horseback to warn the militiamen.  The most famous of these messengers was Paul Revere.

On the morning of April 19,  the British troops met armed resistance, first at Lexington Green and later near Concord.  These were the first two battles of the American Revolutionary War.

The events of April 19,, 1775 are commemorated by a local holiday called Patriots’ Day.  In Massachusetts, Patriots’ Day is observed on the third Monday of April.

The Boston Marathon is normally held on Patriots’ Day.  This year, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the race has been postponed until September.

Ordinarily, I would have flown to Boston today.  After checking into my hotel, I was planning to join a group called Boston Squeakers for a happy hour get-together at the Beantown Pub.  We can’t meet in person this year, so instead we had a virtual happy hour using Zoom.

The first time Deb and I traveled to Boston, we had dinner at Durgin Park.  Durgin Park was one of the oldest restaurants in the country.  They served traditional New England food.  One of their signature entrees was called Yankee Pot Roast.  They also had a signature dessert called Baked Indian Pudding.  “Indian” in this context meant Native American.

Durgin Park was my favorite Boston restaurant, and I made a point of eating there every time I was in Boston.  Sadly, they’re no longer in business.  They closed last year.

I wanted to have a taste of Durgin Park, so while I was chatting online with my fellow “squeakers” I had an early dinner of pot roast.  I don’t have the recipe that Durgin Park used, but Deb and I sometimes make pot roasts in a slow cooker, and I used our usual recipe.

I followed that with a bowl of Baked Indian Pudding, topped with vanilla ice cream, just like Durgin Park would serve it.  I actually do have their recipe for the Indian Pudding.  It was on a flyer that we picked up when we first had dinner there in 1991.



There were about 49 of us in the Zoom meeting, and we each introduced ourselves and talked about our experiences qualifying and either getting into Boston or getting “squeaked” out.

Halfway through our happy hour meetup, we were joined online by Dave McGillivray.   Dave is the race director of the Boston Marathon, and he answered questions for the next hour.

Among other things, Dave talked about the difficulties associated with rescheduling the race to September.   When asked what will happen next year, if this year’s race has to be cancelled altogether, he explained all the competing interests and how nobody has the answers yet.  He also shared some of his favorite Boston Marathon experiences both as a runner and as a race director.

Monday is Patriots’ Day.  Most of the runners trained for this throughout the winter.  Monday was going to be their big day.  Now that they’re in peak shape, many of them will go out and run 26.2 miles on their own.  I don’t plan to do that.

I don’t train for months for one big race.  Instead, I run marathons as often as I reasonably can, and the marathons are a big part of my training.  If I do them often enough, I don’t need to do any other long training runs.

Excluding one virtual race, I haven’t run a marathon since March 1st.  I don’t know when the next one will be.  It’ll be at least a few months, and probably much longer.  I’m keeping up my weekly mileage, but I wouldn’t really call it training.  Now, I’m just running to maintain a certain level of fitness.  There’s no real point in running 26.2 miles on Monday.  It wouldn’t be the same as a race, and it won’t necessarily prepare me for my next one.  My next one might not even be this year.  Nobody knows when large events will be possible.  I’m crossing my fingers on September, but that may be wishful thinking.

When I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I’ll figure out what I need to do to prepare for my next race.  For now, I’m just running for exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment